(Topic ID: 314395)

Is Grand Prix the most complex EM ever made?

By Judoratt

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

86cc726c72bf841c8ff7b0fffc6887cee67fd5af (resized).jpg
599b541a8e1315431952a978c2a337ddaa529f23 (resized).jpg
b6c07ab884daa5abebd5355e31f6b9d31eadf9c3 (resized).jpg
2F0128C3-F55A-435E-93EC-18F57561D1E1 (resized).jpeg
C0A684E6-6057-46B1-8B48-75A226BEFCC7 (resized).jpeg
0C7896B2-2C5F-4F64-95B9-B2C7182CBD30 (resized).jpeg
Grand Prix coils (resized).jpg
479CC75C-5236-4851-8B88-0295E1F3FEE7 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
image-13 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210104_151215029 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210104_151218113 (resized).jpg
871E1A19-4B46-4780-9438-C039CF40828A (resized).jpeg
226E4E6D-4F14-4CFA-9A07-54E57FFC5EA0 (resized).jpeg
C9F80CEA-2A08-49C9-AB53-B2B40F514040 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

So doing a little cleanup work on my Grand Prix looking under the Playfield there must be 75 relays And over five hundred switches. That being said I’ve heard before that Grand Prix is the most complex EM ever made. So if that’s correct could it be considered one of the most complex pinball machines ever made. Looking forward to your opinions ladies and gentlemen.

871E1A19-4B46-4780-9438-C039CF40828A (resized).jpeg871E1A19-4B46-4780-9438-C039CF40828A (resized).jpegC9F80CEA-2A08-49C9-AB53-B2B40F514040 (resized).jpegC9F80CEA-2A08-49C9-AB53-B2B40F514040 (resized).jpeg226E4E6D-4F14-4CFA-9A07-54E57FFC5EA0 (resized).jpeg226E4E6D-4F14-4CFA-9A07-54E57FFC5EA0 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

I always thought OXO was pretty complex. And heavy.

#3 1 year ago

Sonic Cherrybell comes to mind on a LOT of relays

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

I always thought OXO was pretty complex. And heavy.

I just finished up an oxo. It has the heaviest pf I have ever seen, with that massive reset bank. Also Bally kick off/ quarterback is pretty crazy

#5 1 year ago

The underside of the playfield does have that jam-packed look of a Williams/Bally DMD game.

So what is the complex part(s) in the rules that makes it so complicated compared to a similar game that isn't?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

The underside of the playfield does have that jam-packed look of a Williams/Bally DMD game.
So what is the complex part(s) in the rules that makes it so complicated compared to a similar game that isn't?

My thought of complex would be moving parts but that is open to discussion. It is my thought that EM’s are more complex than many SS games.

#7 1 year ago

It's been a while since I worked on one but I remember Cleopatra being pretty complex and very heavy from all of the relays.

Some of the Ballys from the mid 70s are pretty complex with a lot of relays and stepper motors. My Night Rider has a lot going on under the hood.

IMG_20210104_151218113 (resized).jpgIMG_20210104_151218113 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210104_151215029 (resized).jpgIMG_20210104_151215029 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

Another vote for OXO

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Judoratt:

So doing a little cleanup work on my Grand Prix looking under the Playfield

you just wanted an excuse to show off that nice looking game

#10 1 year ago

Gulfstream has a fairly massive relay bank on the underside of the playfield.

#11 1 year ago

The bottom logic boards of the cabinet are mostly the same between similar games, years, and manufacturers.

What makes Grand Prix complex is the two total reset stepper units under the playfield.

I don’t know if Grand Prix is the most complex, most stepper units though. I might lean to OXO as most complex due to the number of playfield relays.

#12 1 year ago

Cleopatra is a contender and don't forget Mata

#13 1 year ago

My vote is Capersville...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14 1 year ago

Might be a tie with oxo.

image-13 (resized).jpgimage-13 (resized).jpg
#15 1 year ago

Egghead beats OXO on the relay bank and the rest of the playfield relays

479CC75C-5236-4851-8B88-0295E1F3FEE7 (resized).jpeg479CC75C-5236-4851-8B88-0295E1F3FEE7 (resized).jpeg
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from slghokie:

My vote is Capersville...
[quoted image]

I don't think Capersville is quite as mechanically complex as OXO but it has my vote for the most complex rule set for an EM. Check out this rule sheet: http://pinball.org/rules/capersville.html

#17 1 year ago

Ah, for complex ruleset I vote Bally’s Little Joe.

#18 1 year ago

I've worked on a lot of 4 players EM's and I would tend to put Grand Prix at or near the top of the complex list, what puts it above other 4 player games is the steppers and how they work together. Most 4 players EM's are pretty scary in the sheer volume of relays, steppers and other mechs, lots going on and lots to go wrong!!

#19 1 year ago

Not complex but the heaviest playfield by far of any machine I have is my Williams Wild Card and it’s a single player.

0C7896B2-2C5F-4F64-95B9-B2C7182CBD30 (resized).jpeg0C7896B2-2C5F-4F64-95B9-B2C7182CBD30 (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

Complexity is a tricky thing to measure but one way to compare apples to apples is to compare the number of relays and coils in each game which is usually provided in a handy table. The schematic for Grand Prix for example shows:
Grand Prix coils (resized).jpgGrand Prix coils (resized).jpg
Grand Prix: 37 relays and 56 coils for a total of 93 devices.

To compare to other games:
OXO: 51 relays and 45 coils for a total of 96 devices
Egg Head: 46 relays and 21 coils for a total of 67 devices
Prospector: 36 relays and 49 coils for a total of 85 devices

Counting relays and coils only approximates complexity since something like a Gottlieb Player Unit is much more complex than a Ball Count Unit but both have two coils so they'd count as the same complexity.
You could count the number of switches or other devices but that's a much bigger effort.
Multiplayer games will always have an advantage over single player games given their extra score reels and extra steppers to keep track of coins and players.
Tic Tac Toe games like OXO and Egg Head need 18 relays just to keep track of the Xs and Os on a tic tac toe board (2 x 9).

/Mark

#21 1 year ago

Grand Prix sure is complex with the two bonus units. Oxo and Gulfstream probably have the largest relay banks.

How about Argosy?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Grand Prix sure is complex with the two bonus units. Oxo and Gulfstream probably have the largest relay banks.
How about Argosy?

I’ve had an Argosy. What makes you think it’s complex? It’s pretty straight forward

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I’ve had an Argosy. What makes you think it’s complex? It’s pretty straight forward

I thought there is an additional step up unit to count how many times the drop targets have been completed, then the usual bonus, coin and player units. But it does not need a relay bank for ball in play relevant sequence completions so probably not very complex.

Anyway, I have always considered Argosy as the quintessential EM game. Simple rules - knock down drop targets to increase eject hole value. Spinner, gate, double bonus and extra ball - what more do you need!

#24 1 year ago

For the more complex EM games, it must have been hard to just place the relay banks and units so that everything fits with playfield down, and the wire harness does not get in the way!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

I thought there is an additional step up unit to count how many times the drop targets have been completed, then the usual bonus, coin and player units. But it does not need a relay bank for ball in play relevant sequence completions so probably not very complex.
Anyway, I have always considered Argosy as the quintessential EM game. Simple rules - knock down drop targets to increase eject hole value. Spinner, gate, double bonus and extra ball - what more do you need!

No it's using some relays to count that progress. Fun aside, you can shoot open the ball gate on the left drain to advance the progress from the initial state to the second state. Won't do it for the other states though.

#26 1 year ago

Right, relays do most the heavy lifting in Argosy. Under the hood its similar to most other EM games.

Grand Prix may not be the most complex ever, but it may as well be. Anybody who has moved one or worked on one would probably agree.

#27 1 year ago

I did have to move one several times, but then I was a bit younger so it did not feel so heavy... What I remember from Grand Prix is the superb spinners

#28 1 year ago

Most bingo pinballs are far more complex than anything mentioned. The most complex of these is Bally's Hawaii, which I suspect is also the heaviest EM pinball. Some of the complexity (if doing coil counts) is hidden because of the clutched control unit and mixer unit.

Grand Prix is one of the most irritating to work on, though! The position of the relay bank under the playfield means that the bundle can be caught as the playfield is lifted, tearing wires. The bonus stepper near the front of the playfield is unfortunately in a perfect position for someone to set it down on, causing improper indexing. The match unit pulls so many duties that it creates a lot of problems if it is not moving properly.

I've only worked on one OXO but I don't remember it being nearly as irritating. Maybe that's because I've worked on so many different Grand Prixs.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Most bingo pinballs are far more complex than anything mentioned. The most complex of these is Bally's Hawaii, which I suspect is also the heaviest EM pinball. Some of the complexity (if doing coil counts) is hidden because of the clutched control unit and mixer unit.
Grand Prix is one of the most irritating to work on, though! The position of the relay bank under the playfield means that the bundle can be caught as the playfield is lifted, tearing wires. The bonus stepper near the front of the playfield is unfortunately in a perfect position for someone to set it down on, causing improper indexing. The match unit pulls so many duties that it creates a lot of problems if it is not moving properly.
I've only worked on one OXO but I don't remember it being nearly as irritating. Maybe that's because I've worked on so many different Grand Prixs.

Agree. The post should specify “most complex EM Pinball machine”.

Everyone knows there’s no contest once bingo machines are considered.

#30 1 year ago

Whenever I have "newbie's" visit my basement, I always open up Grand Prix to show how things were done before Solid State came along. It's a master piece of mechanical evolution that drops jaws to people unfamiliar with EMs and machines of that era.

#31 1 year ago

My Williams Olympic Hockey actually has supplemental boards hanging off the playfield and backbox with even more relays.

#32 1 year ago

Big Deal's is a pretty loaded EM too.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

Ah, for complex ruleset I vote Bally’s Little Joe.

Agreed. If Little Joe had 2-ball multiball, it would be a masterpiece.

#34 1 year ago

As far as complex relay logic, Williams "Hot Line"/"Big Strike" are masterpieces of design.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

As far as complex relay logic, Williams "Hot Line"/"Big Strike" are masterpieces of design.

Let's not forget Quick Draw/Fast Draw either. Resetting drops in different patterns. Crazy for 1975.

I also want to mention Fireball but NOT because I think it's the best ever. I'm mentioning it because it's a great example of cramming as many features as possible into a machine created in 1972. BUT at the same time, it's only so-so on the fun factor. Had one that played great for over 5 years, do not miss it EVER!

#36 1 year ago

Trying to get a Grand Prix dialed in is a chore. Especially if somebody monkeyed with the steppers before you got to it. When everything works, it is awesome. My match unit is still a little flaky at the end of ball match sequence but I am too scared to try to disassemble and fix it haha.

#37 1 year ago

That's all fine and well but it's not a pinball, it's a gambling bingo device at heart. To calculate those odds, no cost was spared when they created those games. So, while they may be way more complex, some of that is lost on me since it's essentially a slot machine that you can nudge, where it's complexities are set up to maximize the money made from the customer(s).

I concede that it is an EM as the OP typed/asked but still, not really a pinball in the Pinside sense of the term. (A lot more luck than skill.)

#38 1 year ago

What defines pinball to you? Plunger? Pins? Rubber? Posts? Balls? A playfield in a cabinet at an incline? Game rules?

These are of course all present in bingo pinballs as well.

The player has quite a bit of control, unlike a slot machine. In some ways, much more control than flipperless amusement pinballs.

All coin op machines were made to take your money.

#39 1 year ago

What defines pinball to you? Plunger? Pins? Rubber? Posts? Balls? A playfield in a cabinet at an incline? Game rules?
The player has quite a bit of control, unlike a slot machine. In some ways, much more control than flipperless amusement pinballs.

Flippers!

#40 1 year ago

I don’t know, but I know a bingo machine when I see it!

It takes me less than a half a second to make that determination and skip over those ads.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Agree. The post should specify “most complex EM Pinball machine”.
Everyone knows there’s no contest once bingo machines are considered.

Yep. One look inside a bingo sends me running

#42 1 year ago

Let's not "dis" the ancestral pre-flipper games. They were pinball in every sense of the word. In fact, the farther back in pinball history you travel, the more you can see why it's called "pin" ball in the first place.
Historically speaking, the spring loaded integral shooter, invented by Montague Redgrave, is considered to be the single most important design advance defining the line between bagatelle tables and pinball machines.
A bingo machine is also a pinball machine, but it is a different type of animal. I would not, however, consider the early United bingos which resemble roulette wheels, to be true pinball machines.

#43 1 year ago

Cleopatra

2F0128C3-F55A-435E-93EC-18F57561D1E1 (resized).jpeg2F0128C3-F55A-435E-93EC-18F57561D1E1 (resized).jpegC0A684E6-6057-46B1-8B48-75A226BEFCC7 (resized).jpegC0A684E6-6057-46B1-8B48-75A226BEFCC7 (resized).jpeg
#44 1 year ago

I was looking for a good picture for the underside of the playfield for Olympic Hockey, its VERY busy. The rink unit in the backglass is a PITA to get adjusted "just right"

599b541a8e1315431952a978c2a337ddaa529f23 (resized).jpg599b541a8e1315431952a978c2a337ddaa529f23 (resized).jpg86cc726c72bf841c8ff7b0fffc6887cee67fd5af (resized).jpg86cc726c72bf841c8ff7b0fffc6887cee67fd5af (resized).jpgb6c07ab884daa5abebd5355e31f6b9d31eadf9c3 (resized).jpgb6c07ab884daa5abebd5355e31f6b9d31eadf9c3 (resized).jpg
#45 1 year ago

Just changed all the sleeves on my OH, worth the time. The 5 pops get thumping pretty good!

1 month later
#46 1 year ago

Grand Prix owners, please take a look at this and let me know
if I am on the right track.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-score-motor-keeps-running#post-6985480

Thanks

#47 1 year ago

The simple answer to the OP is yes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-grand-prix-the-most-complex-em-ever-made-?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.