(Topic ID: 242703)

Is Gottlieb's Hit The Deck really worth $3800?

By swampwiz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by newmantjn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9A2C6B23-52C9-404A-9B14-E774A7648DCB (resized).jpeg
E6019520-939D-45E4-8561-8E807417ECB6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191230_090459673 (resized).jpg
arcade Rockola, wedgeheads, Sega, Kasco, etc. (resized).jpg
arcade nook with trade stimulators (resized).jpg
arcade wedgeheads in Dec. 2019 (resized).jpg
arcade with Kiki and friends Dec. 2019 (resized).jpg
IMG_0626 (resized).JPG
IMG_0538 (resized).JPG
IMG_0628 (resized).JPG
IMG_0539 (resized).JPG
20191224_120530 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
15777253119125634702003188612198 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_090459673 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_090438335 (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

There's a guy advertising his @ Mr. Pinball for this amount. I think I might be enticed to part with mine for that price!

#2 4 years ago

No - not a chance.
$1,500 tops - and that's in excellent condition.

3 versions of the title exist, and though the machine looks pretty good, it's a dog player.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.
3 versions of the title exist, and though the machine looks pretty good, it's a dog player.

Only Gottlieb's I know of to reach close to that are TKO, Strange World, Blue Note/Rock Star, Gemini, and Space Walk.

#4 4 years ago

Asking price and actual selling price are two different things obviously. I think the #'s manufactured are 375 for Hit the Deck and 270 for Neptune.
Having a low production might bump it up some but not $3800. Just my opinion.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.

I find the challenge of getting all the cards to be quite interesting. A really good shot can get the ball through the upper lane guides, and there is a certain level of random luck that is required, but that is realized by keeping the ball going - in a bingo sort of way. It certainly is a departure from games that require direct skill shots.

#6 4 years ago

There is a Neptune for 3500 in the market of this site..

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

I find the challenge of getting all the cards to be quite interesting. A really good shot can get the ball through the upper lane guides, and there is a certain level of random luck that is required, but that is realized by keeping the ball going - in a bingo sort of way. It certainly is a departure from games that require direct skill shots.

It's certainly cool to visit - just not enough shots to hold one's interest beyond an occasional here and there play.
Definitely not enough to command the rare game price many ask for it.

Only EM I would consider paying that much for is Blue Note.
Tremendously fun title, and tough.

#8 4 years ago

I have both Blue Note and Hit The Deck.....HTD is a much better game to play, but BN grabs you for just one more game over and over. And, as silly as it sounds, I'd need at least that kind of cash to part with them. Why you ask? Well even though I am firmly in the 'low end pin man club', https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-creed-of-the-low-end-pin-man- I can always make some more money somehow, but the chance of ever getting lucky enough to own pins this rare is not going to happen again.

EDIT:
Though I love them getting played, they will both be in the Ottawa Pinball show this year......as long as the tornado's stay away this time.

#9 4 years ago

It's worth what the buyer and seller agree it's worth

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.

It's a great player actually! It may not have as many shots as some other games, but not to worry.

It's fast and fun.

Getting the joker and have everything lit for 5000 is buzz time.

One of my fav em's for sure.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.

I'm always amused that people who have these kinds of opinions imvariably are mainly SS/DMD owners.

They only made 375 of them, so that alone will jump the price. As for the game play, while it has few reviews on IPDB, it's pretty highly rated.

#12 4 years ago

I own hit the deck 002 S. I would not take $4,000.00 for it. Very fun game and a well shopped game plays very fast. My guess is the guy could get that price for the machine.

#13 4 years ago

pending condition its possible. very low production with few left accounted for world wide., awesome wedge head.

#14 4 years ago

People love to say perfectly fine expensive old games are “dogs.”

KISS is a perfect example.

As far as hit the deck I’ve played it a few times didn’t seem particularly doggy to me. Hard to believe many would have
Such a strong opinion on it either way considering how rare it is.

#15 4 years ago

Definitely not the best playing game ever, but it's collectibility is undeniable. Still, $3800 seems like a very big stretch, I like to collect rare games, wouldn't touch it anywhere near that price.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.

I STRONGLY disagree with this.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

No - not a chance.

I STRONGLY agree with this!

#18 4 years ago

Simple answer for the OP.
Nope, not worth that much.

#19 4 years ago

I sold a nice Neptune (with a NOS playfield) two years ago for $3k. My friend bought an unrestored Hit the Deck for $1,800 in 2015. He’s a top Gottlieb restoration expert, so $3k-ish will be its ballpark value when he gets done with it.

If you want to get one of these twilight-era wedgeheads—and another collector is selling it—the price won’t be cheap.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

I'm always amused that people who have these kinds of opinions imvariably are mainly SS/DMD owners.
They only made 375 of them, so that alone will jump the price. As for the game play, while it has few reviews on IPDB, it's pretty highly rated.

While rare and 1977, 1978, and 1979 prod dates will certainly raise the value of any EM, people must always remember what else $3,800 can get you.
This is a one shot game - one!
Lots of nudging on the way down-- to get the rollovers you want is a big part of this game, sure, but you shoot up the middle and hope, and that's it.
Call me crazy - I look for more when I am playing.

My comment (game list) above about the titles that DO fetch this much should prove my knowledge.

#21 4 years ago

Back in the fall of 2004, I bought a 5 pin package deal from a fellow collector in the SACO area
for $2250 total, it included Pop-A-Card, Atlantis, Ship Ahoy, Strange World and Neptune.
All were in very good condition (about 8-9 out of 10), with exception of PopACard which had flaky BG.
At that time in my mind, I valued the Strange World and Neptune at $800 & $900 each.
And I considered those premium prices, but felt it worth it at the time to acquire those fairly rare titles.
Those games are now under the custodianship of the PPM,
but for tax purposes I would put the last 2 pins value at about $2000 each.

HtD and Neptune are kinda posty, but I enjoy the artwork more than the game play.

#22 4 years ago

And after 30 years , 5 % to 10 % remain of that total.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Most valid comment here yet, IMHO.
Rarity/scarcity rules the day with single-player EMs.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

Most valid comment here yet, IMHO.
Rarity/scarcity rules the day with single-player EMs.
I give that same answer to people when commenting on my Target Pool.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

While rare and 1977, 1978, and 1979 prod dates will certainly raise the value of any EM, people must always remember what else $3,800 can get you.

Hit the Deck is a game collectors desire, not players. It’s like Astroid Annie. It will command a good price as a collector’s piece.

This is not a knock on its playability, it plays just fine, but it’s price is driven by its collect ability as opposed to its tournament or playability quality.

#26 4 years ago

There is also nothing else out there that plays like it, novelty value has a significant amount to do with the price as well.

#27 4 years ago

375 produced
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Got to figure that there are at least twice as many people that own one that do not have pinside account
or even care to list their collections.

By coincidence

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Only Gottlieb's I know of to reach close to that are TKO, Strange World, Blue Note/Rock Star, Gemini, and Space Walk.

Mermaid

#29 4 years ago

And Glamor.

And Daisy May.

And Marble Queen.

And Dragonette.

And a fair few other woodrails in beautiful condition.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hit the Deck is a game collectors desire, not players. It’s like Astroid Annie. It will command a good price as a collector’s piece.
This is not a knock on its playability, it plays just fine, but it’s price is driven by its collect ability as opposed to its tournament or playability quality.

Thanks for stating this. There are multiple reasons that fuel demand for pins and not just gameplay alone.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

40 years now...

If you want to see a game that is constantly over valued, here it is...

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Captain+Fantastic&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#438

It doesn't have rarity to factor in. They made a ton of them. It doesn't have playability to make it expensive, because it's an average player at best.

CF was a stroke of genius by Bally to put Elton John on the backglass, because without that, the game probably doesn't sell half of what it did. And it certainly doesn't sell for what people always ask for it.

I've never played HTD, so I can't comment on playability, but it can't be worse than CF, and it's an end of the line wedgehead with only 375 made. It's going to command a premium on those factors alone.

#32 4 years ago

Some collectors like the late Wedgeheads so Yes, it could fetch $3800.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

At $1500 I'd buy another one; because I could resell it and make some money.

I own both Hit The Deck & Neptune & prefer the AAB version, you get both the red & black cards & game play becomes very interesting.

Are there better players - I'm sure but owning a rare game that plays very fast with the DC coils makes for some nice playing games.

#34 4 years ago

Apparently a lot were sent to/dumped in Canada and Australia because they were competing with newly arrived Solid State.
I picked mine up thinking it would be a good bargaining piece for a title I really wanted. I got a 4 Million BC for the same reason

HTD has grown on me as a nice challenging player with a ton of skill shots.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

I own both Hit The Deck & Neptune & prefer the AAB version, you get both the red & black cards & game play becomes very interesting.
Are there better players - I'm sure but owning a rare game that plays very fast with the DC coils makes for some nice playing games.

^This

Everyone seems to be an expert on this but I dare you to find a 1500 HTD . I tried a thread like this late last year and someone said it's only worth 600. It's a fun game and honestly one of the more aesthetically pleasing games you can find especially in the EM era IMO. I get several messages a year on pinside or pinballowners asking if I would consider selling. This game is sought after and a good enough one would probably get 3800.

1 week later
#36 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gemini
IS a Gemini worth $7000?
I do think it is worth more than a Hit the Deck.

#37 4 years ago

Swampwiz really wants to know if EMs are really worth what people are selling them for!

#38 4 years ago

I personally know of two Hit The Decks that sold for over 5k.

4 weeks later
#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And Glamor.
And Daisy May.
And Marble Queen.
And Dragonette.
And a fair few other woodrails in beautiful condition.

Star Jet
Balls a Poppin

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from SteamVette:

I personally know of two Hit The Decks that sold for over 5k.

Quoted from vwallat99:

Everyone seems to be an expert on this but I dare you to find a 1500 HTD

Quoted from vwallat99:

This game is sought after and a good enough one would probably get 3800.

Quoted from ckcsm:

Why is this still for sale then?

It's always the same story owners price pumping their games

#42 4 years ago

If it was even anywhere close I'd be making the drive for it.....

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from guard:

If it was even anywhere close I'd be making the drive for it.....

You could ship it to the boarder for a few hundred.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

It's always the same story owners price pumping their games

I paid $2100 for my extremely nice example around 3 years ago from a local collector where I could see, feel, & touch to check out prior to my purchase; if my deal fell through he had another buyer waiting to purchase.

Price is subject to supply/demand - like alot of other things in our economy but with only 375 made if one becomes available and it's on your wishlist you have to make a decision on how much to pay.

Price pumping?? I don't think so; if someone gets on for less that I paid - more power to them, but as others have stated there are plenty examples of ones selling for substantially more $$, especially nice examples.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

So your saying this isnt true then?

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

So your saying this isnt true then?

Shipping from Washington to Pennsylvania ain’t cheap. Then there’s the risk to the game in transit. Not a $1,500 threshold any more.

What’s with the peanut gallery act? You disagree with the market. We get it.

#47 4 years ago

It's probably my least favorite layout from that era of Gottlieb. The geometry and shots make no sense. Might be collectable, but in my opinion a dud when it comes to game play.

#48 4 years ago

You could probably drive out there to get it, it's only 3000 miles or so from the east coast. Make a trip out of it.

If it was your holy grail machine you'd definitely do it or if you were retired or something maybe.

#49 4 years ago

Thinking about it!

3F4570E5-3BD1-4BD8-9048-73F97CC9C028 (resized).jpeg3F4570E5-3BD1-4BD8-9048-73F97CC9C028 (resized).jpeg
#50 4 years ago

If you want one today, I think you might have to pay $1500 or $2000. If you are patient and live on the east coast, chances are one will turn up for a cheaper price in the next year or two. Chances are it will not be on pinside. Rarely do bargains show up in forums like this.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gottlieb-s-hit-the-deck-really-worth-3800?hl=tscottn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.