(Topic ID: 242703)

Is Gottlieb's Hit The Deck really worth $3800?

By swampwiz

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 87 days ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

9A2C6B23-52C9-404A-9B14-E774A7648DCB (resized).jpeg
E6019520-939D-45E4-8561-8E807417ECB6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20191230_090459673 (resized).jpg
arcade Rockola, wedgeheads, Sega, Kasco, etc. (resized).jpg
arcade nook with trade stimulators (resized).jpg
arcade wedgeheads in Dec. 2019 (resized).jpg
arcade with Kiki and friends Dec. 2019 (resized).jpg
IMG_0626 (resized).JPG
IMG_0538 (resized).JPG
IMG_0628 (resized).JPG
IMG_0539 (resized).JPG
20191224_120530 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
15777253119125634702003188612198 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191230_090438335 (resized).jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

So your saying this isnt true then?

It's 2,822 miles away; I just posted I paid more for the one I currently have so why would I think $1500 is too much?

Quoted from leckmeck:

What’s with the peanut gallery act? You disagree with the market. We get it.

I agree.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

It's probably my least favorite layout from that era of Gottlieb. The geometry and shots make no sense. Might be collectable, but in my opinion a dud when it comes to game play.

I get why people say this, as there aren't many shots - probably only 2 that I go for.

That said, it never gets old once you have joker lit and the chance to have every roll over at 5000, and then to go for 200000 plus.

Add the fact it has DC and it plays fast and snappy.

I have had tons of great em's but this one is simple but fun

Doubt I would ever sell mine.

#53 1 year ago

People dislike it because it's too hard and thier feelings get hurt...

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from guard:

People dislike it because it's too hard and thier feelings get hurt...

I dislike it as its boring with nothing to shoot at.
Might as well buy a pachinko machine.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

It's probably my least favorite layout from that era of Gottlieb. The geometry and shots make no sense. Might be collectable, but in my opinion a dud when it comes to game play.

? The middle top shot is backhandable to get in that hole. The one on the mid right can be shot directly, though not with 100% success. Everything else can be plunged, or you shoot back up to the top basically the same as backhanding the middle hole, just to the side of it, and do some nudging.

1978-12 Blue Note Gottlieb EM 229 1p 423 26 7.3
1978-11 Charlie's Angels Gottlieb SS 7,600 4p 425 23 6.4
1978-08 Close Encounters of the Third Kind Gottlieb SS 9,950 4p 424 33 7.0
1978-09 Close Encounters of the Third Kind Gottlieb EM 470 4p 424 41 8.5
1978-10 Dragon Gottlieb SS 6,538 4p 419 28 5.7
1978-05 Eye Of The Tiger Gottlieb EM 730 2p 413 15 7.8
1978-10 Gemini Gottlieb EM 300 2p 418 21 7.3
1978-06 Joker Poker Gottlieb SS 9,280 4p 417 SS 35 8.0
1978-06 Joker Poker Gottlieb EM 820 4p 417 19 7.8
1978-04 Neptune Gottlieb EM 270 Add-A-Ball 1p 416A 40 7.7
1978-02 Pyramid Gottlieb EM 950 2p 410 17 8.3
1978-12 Rock Star Gottlieb EM 268 Add-A-Ball 1p 432 13 6.7
1978-02 Sinbad Gottlieb SS 12,000 4p 412 39 7.5
1978-02 Strange World Gottlieb EM 675 1p 414 34 7.6
1978* Valkyrie

Which of these, exactly, is better than Neptune? Joker Poker and MAYBE Gemini....but good luck finding Gemini, even harder to find than Nep/HtD

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I dislike it as its boring with nothing to shoot at.
Might as well buy a pachinko machine.

It's a better player than Strange World for example.

How you can be bored trying to roll it, I'll never know, but we like and dislike what we like and dislike!

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from Frax:

Which of these, exactly, is better than Neptune?

To each his own. Most if not all of them have a better layout and shoot better than Neptune. I love Sinbad. When I said "era" I really meant 70s EMs including the ones on your list and games like Quick Draw, Target Alpha, Jack in the Box, C37, Atlantis, and on and on.

To me this game has zero draw except the rarity. Once again; to each his own.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

There's a guy advertising his @ Mr. Pinball for this amount. I think I might be enticed to part with mine for that price!

Hello Swapwiz, I believe that is my game you are referencing. I must admit I had a go of it trying to price this game. I reached out to many pin heads and have gotten a broad range of answers, anywhere from its worthless to 5K of course depending on condition and what not. I recently sold my Strange World to a collector in Australia for 4K. Apparently in Australia EMs are going for good money...can't confirm this but thats what he told me. He also seemed to think my HTD was worth 5K....I told him I don't know about that and EMs have taken a huge hit on prices here in the states. I believe another pinsider replied on this thread "a game is only worth what an individual is willing to spend on it" I kind of agree with that statement. I mean, as a seller of course you would like to get as much as you can for any particular item and as a buyer you are also trying to get the most reasonable price as well.

I have since dropped my price on pinside to $2800 OBO

Archived after 5 days
Sold off Pinside
Machine - For Sale
Hit the Deck Archived
Fully shopped/refurbished “Gottlieb Hit the Deck, excellent condition. Playfield has had a full shop out. Cabinet is in great shape the back box does have some minor chipping, front bottom of the box. Back g...”
2019-07-31
Whitter, CA
2,950 (OBO)

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Why is this still for sale then?
It's always the same story owners price pumping their games

It sold in like a day. I think that pretty much shows the game was priced to move and certainly moved quickly. If it was closer to me I certainly would have went to buy it because it was a great price for what looked to be a good machine. Like how you try and puff up your chest to prove your point but considering the pin moved quickly I think it more proved our points that this game doesn't go up for that and if it does goodluck.

Congrats to whoever got that deal.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

It sold in like a day. I think that pretty much shows the game was priced to move and certainly moved quickly. If it was closer to me I certainly would have went to buy it because it was a great price for what looked to be a good machine. Like how you try and puff up your chest to prove your point but considering the pin moved quickly I think it more proved our points that this game doesn't go up for that and if it does goodluck.
Congrats to whoever got that deal.

ah your chest puffing ref got quite a chuckle from me.

5 months later
#61 9 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87562

Looks like good shape but needs shop. $1600 posted a month ago

1 week later
#62 9 months ago
Quoted from spinal:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87562
Looks like good shape but needs shop. $1600 posted a month ago

Great deal. While I prefer the backglass composition and replay gameplay of Hit-the-Deck (and its double entendre title), if I didn't have a HtD, I would buy this Neptune.

1 week later
#63 8 months ago

I just sold a very nice all around original with 15,000 plays for $2500. Might have squeezed more out of it but I wanted a quick sale. Also sold a nice Strange World with the exception of pretty good insert wear for $2200.

The reason I even sold them was I lucked out and bought 5 games from a collector friend of mine's who moved into newer games (90's & above).

Hit the Deck sample 1001
Strange World sample 1001
Blue note sample 1003

Centigrade 37
Golden Arrow

#64 8 months ago
Quoted from hoov:

Hit the Deck sample 1001

I can pick those up next week. It's amazing the same owner had both.

#65 8 months ago
Quoted from hoov:

I just sold a very nice all around original with 15,000 plays for $2500. Might have squeezed more out of it but I wanted a quick sale. Also sold a nice Strange World with the exception of pretty good insert wear for $2200.
The reason I even sold them was I lucked out and bought 5 games from a collector friend of mine's who moved into newer games (90's & above).
Hit the Deck sample 1001
Blue note sample 1003
Centigrade 37
Golden Arrow

Best EM lot purchase ever.

#66 8 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Best EM lot purchase ever.

Lucky!

#67 8 months ago

Wow hoov! Pics please

#68 8 months ago
Quoted from spinal:

Wow hoov! Pics please

Sure.......

Since I just got these 5 mid - late 70's games I haven't had time to address the top faces of the heads of Blue Note, Centigrade 37, and Strange World yet. Need to work my magic and restore to original this winter. Also, need to remove tape from aprons, playfield clean-up, etc.. They all play though.

IMG_20191230_090020852 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090159637 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090114775 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090135500 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090217977 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090228103 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090041642 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090058643 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090256105 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090329215 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090341353 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090352417 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090438335 (resized).jpgIMG_20191230_090459673 (resized).jpg
#69 8 months ago

Hoov,

That has to be the finest Gottlieb collection I've ever seen. On the Strange World, there doesn't seem to be much wear by the kick out. How many plays shown on the meter?

#70 8 months ago
Quoted from Playdium:

Hoov,
That has to be the finest Gottlieb collection I've ever seen. On the Strange World, there doesn't seem to be much wear by the kick out. How many plays shown on the meter?

Thanks!

Here's the meter.....
15777253119125634702003188612198 (resized).jpg

#71 8 months ago

Wow again! Thanks for the pics. Fantastic collection of the top Gottliebs!

#72 8 months ago

Over the years I was able to make several batch buy deals (for some wedgeheads),
One in Dec 2004 for
Pop A Card
Atlantis
Ship Ahoy
Strange World
Neptune (Hit the Deck AAB cousin)
From a collector in the SACO area,
who always seemed to find all sorts of relatively rare pins,
but then grew tired of them quickly
only to sell them to then fund his next new pin hunt.
The other time was on Super Bowl Sunday in Jan 2006 for
Abra Ca Dabra
Target Pool
King Pin
El Dorado
Atlantis
Jacks Open
Drop A Card
4 Square
High Hand
Flip a Card
From some pin enthusiast in Tarzana who needed some cash,
so he decided to liquidate his collection.
I paid a pretty penny at the time, but probably would be able to double my money now
what with the current EM pin prices & going rates.
Most of them though have since been donated to the PPM.
Never was able to find the proper pin palace to set up and play them all.
Certainly not as nice as Hoov's current collection.
pasted_image (resized).png
Above is closest that I ever got to having an auxiliary gameroom,
but when i went to Scotland for 2 yrs, i had to give up the costly commercial leased space
which eventually just turned into a pinball warehouse for me with all the aisles clogged with games.

#73 8 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Over the years I was able to make several batch buy deals (for some wedgeheads),
One in Dec 2004 for
Pop A Card
Atlantis
Ship Ahoy
Strange World
Neptune (Hit the Deck AAB cousin)
From a collector in the SACO area,
who always seemed to find all sorts of relatively rare pins,
but then grew tired of them quickly
only to sell them to then fund his next new pin hunt.
The other time was on Super Bowl Sunday in Jan 2006 for
Abra Ca Dabra
Target Pool
King Pin
El Dorado
Atlantis
Jacks Open
Drop A Card
4 Square
High Hand
Flip a Card
From some pin enthusiast in Tarzana who needed some cash,
so he decided to liquidate his collection.
I paid a pretty penny at the time, but probably would be able to double my money now
what with the current EM pin prices & going rates.
Most of them though have since been donated to the PPM.
Never was able to find the proper pin palace to set up and play them all.
Certainly not as nice as Hoov's current collection.

I remember looking at all the desireable games in your collection several years ago and wishing I had half of them. Pretty impressive.

#74 8 months ago
Quoted from hoov:

Sure.......
Since I just got these 5 mid - late 70's games I haven't had time to address the top faces of the heads of Blue Note, Centigrade 37, and Strange World yet. Need to work my magic and restore to original this winter. Also, need to remove tape from aprons, playfield clean-up, etc.. They all play though.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man!!!! Awesome lineup my friend I Love the artwork on those pins very beautiful and colorful.

#75 8 months ago

I am down to only 5 wedgeheads: Blue Note, Hit-the-Deck, Strange World, Big Hit and Atlantis.

20191224_120530 (resized).jpg
#76 8 months ago

There's no shortage of Wedge Heads for me, and still pretty much have the same line up
and if I ever get the upstairs addition finished off, I pretty much have all the AAB Wedge
Heads which I'll have set up including the 6 true Wow machines from "Bank Shot to Rock
Star" and should still have room for other pins and EM Arcades that I've been planning on
going through. Many have been sitting and waiting for years..

IMG_0538 (resized).JPGIMG_0628 (resized).JPGIMG_0539 (resized).JPG
#77 8 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I am down to only 5 wedgeheads: Blue Note, Hit-the-Deck, Strange World, Big Hit and Atlantis.[quoted image]

I've got a nice Big Hit coming in on a trade for Ice Review. Love the Joker Poker em. I came so close to getting a Charlie's Angels em.......... I want to get some old em arcade games like you have too. Seem to be hard to find - need to look harder.

#78 8 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

There's no shortage of Wedge Heads for me, and still pretty much have the same line up
and if I ever get the upstairs addition finished off, I pretty much have all the AAB Wedge
Heads which I'll have set up including the 6 true Wow machines from "Bank Shot to Rock
Star" and should still have room for other pins and EM Arcades that I've been planning on
going through. Many have been sitting and waiting for years..[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice collection........

#79 8 months ago
Quoted from hoov:

I want to get some old em arcade games like you have too. Seem to be hard to find

If you have the space, ball bowlers get their share of play.
They're all good, but I kinda favor the Bally 4" ball bowlers from the 50s. I have
an extra one similar to this, but shipping's a killer. Also have an extra Shuffle Target,
and Pitch & Bats and like doing trades, but Upstate N.Y.'s a bit too far..

IMG_0626 (resized).JPG
#80 8 months ago
Quoted from hoov:

I've got a nice Big Hit coming in on a trade for Ice Review. Love the Joker Poker em. I came so close to getting a Charlie's Angels em.......... I want to get some old em arcade games like you have too. Seem to be hard to find - need to look harder.

I've been unable to resist most coin-op genres. Consequently, my pinball collection has traditionally shared real estate with EM arcades, solid state arcades, trade stimulators, prewar games, vintage soda, candy and stamp machines, hot nut dispensers and the like. I know that I'm not alone with that tendency (okay, obsession) here on Pinside.

The population of my basement is the United Nations of coin-op. I like it that way. The diversity is important to long-term interest, in my opinion, after 35 years in the hobby.

Here's a few photos of what I call the "Gottlieb" hemisphere, although there's at least one stray Gottlieb woodrail which remains in the "Midway" section. More recently, I've beefed up my Bally nook (not pictured).

My 17 year-old daughter is a high school senior, pictured here last week (center---gray shirt/white pants). This is the first year that she and her friends have fully discovered the unmatched fun of hanging out in an arcade with vintage games. My house has become the venue of choice for these young, future pinball hobbyists. At the moment, I have a The Beatles Gold and a 2006 Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama in my line-up for those gravitating toward something modern.

Nevertheless, these kids love the sixties and seventies EMs. They really do appreciate the ingenuity involved in designing such complex contraptions with old technology. Lift up an EM playfield and have them photograph it with their smartphone. Then, explain that they have just captured the evolution of the computer age.

When they realize that Kasco's Star V (the environmental game in the foreground of the last photo) is an EM, with an actual physical rotating globe (and not a video projection), they're especially interested in learning more about the hobby. Then, I have them play 1933 Rockola Jigsaw or 1934 Rockola World's Series or 1934/35 Rockola Army Navy and explain that these games are purely mechanical. . .all springs, levers and pulleys. It's enlightening for them and gratifying for a passionate collector to witness.

arcade Rockola, wedgeheads, Sega, Kasco, etc. (resized).jpgarcade nook with trade stimulators (resized).jpgarcade wedgeheads in Dec. 2019 (resized).jpgarcade with Kiki and friends Dec. 2019 (resized).jpg
#81 8 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I've been unable to resist most coin-op genres. Consequently, my pinball collection has traditionally shared real estate with EM arcades, solid state arcades, trade stimulators, prewar games, vintage soda, candy and stamp machines, hot nut dispensers and the like. I know that I'm not alone with that tendency (okay, obsession) here on Pinside.
The population of my basement is the United Nations of coin-op. I like it that way. The diversity is important to long-term interest, in my opinion, after 35 years in the hobby.
Here's a few photos of what I call the "Gottlieb" hemisphere, although there's at least one stray Gottlieb woodrail which remains in the "Midway" section. More recently, I've beefed up my Bally nook (not pictured).
My 17 year-old daughter is a high school senior, pictured here last week (center---gray shirt/white pants). This is the first year that she and her friends have fully discovered the unmatched fun of hanging out in an arcade with vintage games. My house has become the venue of choice for these young, future pinball hobbyists. At the moment, I have a The Beatles Gold and a 2006 Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama in my line-up for those gravitating toward something modern.
Nevertheless, these kids love the sixties and seventies EMs. They really do appreciate the ingenuity involved in designing such complex contraptions with old technology. Lift up an EM playfield and have them photograph it with their smartphone. Then, explain that they have just captured the evolution of the computer age.
When they realize that Kasco's Star V (the environmental game in the foreground of the last photo) is an EM, with an actual physical rotating globe (and not a video projection), they're especially interested in learning more about the hobby. Then, I have them play 1933 Rockola Jigsaw or 1934 Rockola World's Series or 1934/35 Rockola Army Navy and explain that these games are purely mechanical. . .all springs, levers and pulleys. It's enlightening for them and gratifying for a passionate collector to witness.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful collection of games.

I'm with you. I really want anything coin-op that interests me.

#82 8 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

If you have the space, ball bowlers get their share of play.
They're all good, but I kinda favor the Bally 4" ball bowlers from the 50s. I have
an extra one similar to this, but shipping's a killer. Also have an extra Shuffle Target,
and Pitch & Bats and like doing trades, but Upstate N.Y.'s a bit too far..[quoted image]

I did pick up a working ball bowler - just need to put it together. I have 2 pitch and bats that both need work.

#83 8 months ago

I have a small collection and nothing like the ones above.

If anyone decides to sell their Blue Note or knows of one please give me a holler. Would love to add that game to My lineup.

9A2C6B23-52C9-404A-9B14-E774A7648DCB (resized).jpegE6019520-939D-45E4-8561-8E807417ECB6 (resized).jpeg
#84 8 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I kinda favor the Bally 4" ball bowlers from the 50s. I have
an extra one similar to this, but shipping's a killer.

I bought one ball bowler (13ft United Oasis) in the late 90s (from some guy near St. Louis),
I think I paid between $300-500.
Had my cousin (in the area) pick the game up
then hold it for Dennis Dodel to bring to me in Calif,
I also bought another pin (ALI Spooksville shakerball)
from Dennis at the time to bring out at same time.
(Dennis had an pinball/arcade moving side business at the time).
He only charged me $150 for shipping on the bowler and $100 for the pin.
Dennis later said he would never move bowlers again.
Those were the days when shipping was reasonable, but you might have to wait months for
a game to be delivered that jived with the independent shippers schedule and loop route around the states..

5 months later
#86 3 months ago

I refuse to believe some of you guys have wives. Even if I had the space no way I'd get to have that many games.

2 weeks later
#87 87 days ago

I acquired 99% of my pins before I met and married my wife.
One of the last games I bought was on ebay from my then future wife.
But the hunting and buying soon stopped there after.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 159.00
£ 50.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 4.00
Electronics
Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.95
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 36.99
Playfield - Other
Pinball Stuff
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 199.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside