Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ZNET
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 3.21.11 PM (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Evidently that's the price someone wants for one at Mr. Pinball:

Gemini, 1978 Gottlieb: $7,000 OBO
    Beautiful Gemini. Playfield was one of the last done by HSA and in perfect condition. Backglass is a repro but the original (has flaking) will go with it. Cabinet is in great shape for its age. Email for pictures.
    Larry

#2 4 years ago

Yes it is.

Unless the bubble bursts!?!?!

#3 4 years ago

No, its not. There is suddenly a lot of EMs for sale, been increasing since January. Rarity means a little, not a lot.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

No, its not. There is suddenly a lot of EMs for sale, been increasing since January. Rarity means a little, not a lot.

Suddenly a lot of EMs for sale?!

I wonder if that means they are all being remade!

#5 4 years ago

I tend to see people asking $2k+ for them? If the resto is nice enough....

#6 4 years ago

If I saw a Gemini for 2K I would be tickled in my pink.
    Super rare low numbers...never seen one for sale so i don;t really know.

#7 4 years ago

It’s an awesome game. Only seen/played at silverball.

I’ve also never seen one for sale. So it’s worth $7k. Great deal!

#9 4 years ago

Swampwiz, here's a list of additional rare EMs that are worth a lot of money so you don't have to make a separate thread wondering if X is really worth X whenever you see one for sale. Due the rarity and/or art/gameplay, the following are likely worth X to somebody even if it seems super wacky!:

TKO
    Strange World
    Evel K
    Space Walk
    Joker Poker
    Charlie's Angels
    Knockout
    Mermaid

feel free to add to the list folks

#10 4 years ago

I wouldn't sell my Prospector for $7k unless it was to buy a nicer Prospector. Add it to the list!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

Evidently that's the price someone wants for one at Mr. Pinball:

Gemini, 1978 Gottlieb: $7,000 OBO

also listed on pinside
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gemini

I got a NOS set of plastics for this game,
    so I figure those got to be worth at least $700

#12 4 years ago

There are examples that have sold for more.

#13 4 years ago

This one was worth $7,210.

ebay.com link: itm

2016 eBay Auction2016 eBay Auction

#14 4 years ago

Its a gorgeous game, probably worth the 7k if the cabinet was redone perfectly as well. Its still going to fetch a lot though to the right buyer.

#15 4 years ago

Some day people on here are going to figure out that a game is worth what the buyer and seller agree that it's worth. Nothing more and nothing less.

#16 4 years ago

Hardcore EM Collectors that would pay this are drying up fast. EM is heading the way of Bingo quickly.

#17 4 years ago

I’m imagining that you could build one for less than half of $7K.

#18 4 years ago

It is a hard game to find. It is worth what someone is willing to pay so $7K, maybe?

#19 4 years ago

the art package on the game is amazing. would love to just see one sometime.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Swampwiz, here's a list of additional rare EMs that are worth a lot of money so you don't have to make a separate thread wondering if X is really worth X whenever you see one for sale. Due the rarity and/or art/gameplay, the following are likely worth X to somebody even if it seems super wacky!:
    TKO
    Strange World
    Evel K
    Space Walk
    Joker Poker
    Charlie's Angels
    Knockout
    Mermaid

Mata Hari EM

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Hardcore EM Collectors that would pay this are drying up fast. EM is heading the way of Bingo quickly.

Good. The sooner the better.

#25 4 years ago

I’m putting together a pretty much brand new Mata Hari EM for stupid money this fall... redone cabinet, new stainless rails, door skin, front door hardware, repro b/g from Shay, rescreened original playfield from Illinois pinball, new legs, all new pop bump and flip parts, all PF hardware buffed, beautiful plastics and card tray... all mechs torn down and done right. gonna be a beauty... it’s coming to The York show. Basically putting an I don’t want to sell price of 12,500. If it never sells, that would be fine. Ya never know!

1 week later
    #26 4 years ago

I dont really think EM prices can be viewed as a single thing. Older games are going down in value, but for a very very few. And thats probably because it is true that some of the original collectors are aging out of the game.

I divide EM into three types and value proposition is very different in my opinion. The reason Bingo and similar era/style games are basically not collected agressively (they are generally not- I tried to give one away and it took months) is that they are not a flipper game.

I also believe that the older short flipper games are generally going down in vlair as the game play and style is very different from modern pinball. As people who enjoyed them in their youth age and since those games look and play differently from modern pinball they will probably keep going down but for a few special titles that can retain value.

However- a 1970’s 3 inch flipper EM thats hot tapped and well restored plays every bit as hard and fast as any modern game. It also features- more or less, the same skills (and even adds a few, optos took away a few flipper skills) and tricks playing the same role in game play. This adds a lot of value to these games and restored examples that play fast and well are still worth real money.

There are always diamonds- but if someone says they found a perfectly playing game from either 1950’s, 1960’s, or the 1970’s- which decade would you hope it was from if you were going to sell it and keep the proceeds.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I dont really think EM prices can be viewed as a single thing. Older games are going down in value, but for a very very few. And thats probably because it is true that some of the original collectors are aging out of the game.
    I divide EM into three types and value proposition is very different in my opinion. The reason Bingo and similar era/style games are basically not collected agressively (they are generally not- I tried to give one away and it took months) is that they are not a flipper game.
    I also believe that the older short flipper games are generally going down in vlair as the game play and style is very different from modern pinball. As people who enjoyed them in their youth age and since those games look and play differently from modern pinball they will probably keep going down but for a few special titles that can retain value.
    However- a 1970’s 3 inch flipper EM thats hot tapped and well restored plays every bit as hard and fast as any modern game. It also features- more or less, the same skills (and even adds a few, optos took away a few flipper skills) and tricks playing the same role in game play. This adds a lot of value to these games and restored examples that play fast and well are still worth real money.
    There are always diamonds- but if someone says they found a perfectly playing game from either 1950’s, 1960’s, or the 1970’s- which decade would you hope it was from if you were going to sell it and keep the proceeds.

Even DC games on the late EM era do not play as fast as a DMD. And that's ok. It's not what they were designed to do in the first place.

My opinion is that people don't like two inch flipper games because they are hard. Quite a few of them do not have inlanes that allow trapping and catching the ball, and they have flipper gaps that make modern games look microscopic.

I don't care anything about the length of the flipper. I just want a good playing game and I'll take it regardless of the length of the flipper or the name of the manufacturer.

#28 4 years ago

What a fantastic resource. Did you compile the data or did someone else do it? I wonder if it is going to be maintained or if it was a one-shot? Thanks for sharing it!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from BlackCatBone:

I wonder if it is going to be maintained or if it was a one-shot?

That site updates the ebay sales list at least once per year.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

TKO
    Strange World
    Evel K
    Space Walk
    Joker Poker
    Charlie's Angels
    Knockout
    Mermaid

Gottlieb woodrails Niagara, Spot Bowler, Queen of Hearts, Grand Slam, Bank-a-Ball and Daisy May belong on the list of EMs which continue to command a premium price, although peak prices for woodrails have softened somewhat in the last 2 years.

Gottlieb wedgeheads Blue Note/Rock Star are very low production games, which are great fun and which fetch top dollar. Wedgehead Hit-the-Deck (and Neptune to a lesser extent) has escalated in price over the past 5 years and continues on an upward vector.

Prewars have been hot in the last 3 years. The "aging collector " theory has limited merit, in my opinion. Current collectors never played a 1934/35 Rockola Army Navy on location, in their youth. Yet, restored examples of this game have sold for $15K -$23K in the past 6 years. This title sold for about $6K in 2007 and fetched about $3K in the late 1990s.

Likewise, 1933 Rockola Jigsaw continues to escalate each year in value.

The scarce games, which are fun, innovative and aesthetically appealing always have a respectable marketplace of enthusiastic buyers. Era of release, flipper size, "fast quotient" are, in my opinion, secondary factors which dictate price.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

My opinion is that people don't like two inch flipper games because they are hard.

My opinion is people don't like them because there is far more luck involved. Today's players want skill based games and the skills needed to do well on 2" flipper games are 1) much different and 2) often won't win you the game.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

My opinion is people don't like them because there is far more luck involved. Today's players want skill based games and the skills needed to do well on 2" flipper games are 1) much different and 2) often won't win you the game.

Many of the2" Flipper Games say "A game of skill" on the backglass. Is this false?

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Grand Slam

Really? Pinside shows about $800. Reason I ask is I have a working one.

#35 4 years ago

Minstrel Man in good condition used to go for big bucks. But I think it has fallen out of favor due to its controversial artwork.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Really? Pinside shows about $800. Reason I ask is I have a working one.

I am referring to 1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam, among the best playing woodrails. Restored and nice original examples fetch $2K to $4,500 and a few were selling for over $5K at the market's peak. You have the 1972 Grand Slam wedgehead which is the $800 game.

I would also add 1951 Gottlieb Glamor to the list of high-priced EMs. A restored Glamor fetched about $12K or more a couple of years ago.

But, the market for $10K+ woodrails is indeed quite limited. An exceptionally nice, all-original Glamor was available last year. The seller relied too heavily on the previous game's sale price. The seller turned down an offer of $8,500 and, months later, ended up selling the game for several thousand less.

A few Williams woodrails and a several Bally EMs remain in high demand and continue to garner high prices. Bally Star Jet and Ted Zale zipper flipper designs have been on the rise for several years.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

They separate the champions from the turds

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

I am referring to 1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam, among the best playing woodrails. Restored and nice original examples fetch $2K to $4,500 and a few were selling for over $5K at the market's peak. You have the 1972 Grand Slam wedgehead which is the $800 game.
    I would also add 1951 Gottlieb Glamor to the list of high-priced EMs. A restored Glamor fetched about $12K or more a couple of years ago.
    But, the market for $10K+ woodrails is indeed quite limited. An exceptionally nice, all-original Glamor was available last year. The seller relied too heavily on the previous game's sale price. The seller turned down an offer of $8,500 and, months later, ended up selling the game for several thousand less.
    A few Williams woodrails and a several Bally EMs remain in high demand and continue to garner high prices. Bally Star Jet and Ted Zale zipper flipper designs have been on the rise for several years.

Haha! Sorry, figured I was missing something.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Gottlieb woodrails Niagara, Spot Bowler, Queen of Hearts, Grand Slam, Bank-a-Ball and Daisy May belong on the list of EMs which continue to command a premium price, although peak prices for woodrails have softened somewhat in the last 2 years.
    Gottlieb wedgeheads Blue Note/Rock Star are very low production games, which are great fun and which fetch top dollar. Wedgehead Hit-the-Deck (and Neptune to a lesser extent) has escalated in price over the past 5 years and continues on an upward vector.
    Prewars have been hot in the last 3 years. The "aging collector " theory has limited merit, in my opinion. Current collectors never played a 1934/35 Rockola Army Navy on location, in their youth. Yet, restored examples of this game have sold for $15K -$23K in the past 6 years. This title sold for about $6K in 2007 and fetched about $3K in the late 1990s.
    Likewise, 1933 Rockola Jigsaw continues to escalate each year in value.
    The scarce games, which are fun, innovative and aesthetically appealing always have a respectable marketplace of enthusiastic buyers. Era of release, flipper size, "fast quotient" are, in my opinion, secondary factors which dictate price.

Can add the super hard to find 1953 Marble Queen. They seem to hardly ever come up for sale.

And 1955 Sweet Add A Line - another super rare title. Famous for winning 26 credits if you complete the game!

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Can add the super hard to find 1953 Marble Queen. They seem to hardly ever come up for sale.
    And 1955 Sweet Add A Line - another super rare title. Famous for winning 26 credits if you complete the game!

I agree that those great Gottlieb woodrail titles have held their value, especially Marble Queen whereas Mystic Marvel and Sittin' Pretty, for example, have declined.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gottlieb-s-gemini-really-worth-7k?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.