(Topic ID: 255787)

Is Gottlieb Goin Nuts really worth $44K?

By swampwiz

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cp1610
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

There's an ad @ Mr. Pinball Classifieds for this.

#2 4 years ago

Sure, you can ask any price you want......
    I only want $22K for my RFM.

John

#4 4 years ago

these prices are Goin Nuts

#5 4 years ago

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.
    Odds are that not everyone will have the same price point. All it takes is one.

#6 4 years ago

I'm sure he's getting lots of replies. By the end of the week he could have a bunch of fake cashier's checks.

#7 4 years ago

They only made ten of them so it's a grail machine for a Gottlieb collector. I played one and it's as boring as a pinball machine can be. If it went into production it would have failed miserably and would probably be an $800 game now, and tough to sell at that price.

#8 4 years ago

I always wondered how many of those that just "collect" rare machines actually even like playing pinball. I know some people that DO PLAY their rare machines no matter how rare the machine... the rest of these "collectors" seem to just hide in the shadows on Pinside... I always wondered if those that hide in the dark the most, play their machines the least.

You know who you are people. Owning HEP machines and playing them 10 times or less in 3 years. Owning other rare machines and setting them up getting them working and then removing the balls because you are afraid of "ball damage". You like owning things no one else owns and you play pinball once a month. Do you cringe when you think that people in the distant (or not so distant) future will actually PLAY your machines because they will then be owned by other people? Heaven forbid people actually play "your" pinball machines and perform a slap save or tilt a ball.

Most very rare machines are rare because they were not great games. A good playing machine is more desirable to own than a dud. Generally, rare machines are duds to play.

You can spend your time and money however you want, but if you hide in those shadows, please don't pretend that you also play pinball in those shadows and that you automatically belong in the conversation with those that like to actually play pinball daily/weekly. Rant over.

#9 4 years ago

I play mine, but my rarest is Cosmic Carnival by production numbers.

Thing is too many people think rare = valuable and its not. As has already been brought up if Goin Nuts were a production game it wouldn't be 800 dollars. Big Bang Bar would have been a 3k game if it had been production. Jolly Park is another recent one that came to mind. I offered 3500 for on the ones on here and was turned down. Neither have sold.

Rarity adds to value if the theme is desirable. Think Full throttle (a game that can't sell at 3500) vs Alien (one that will sell at 13k). Game play of course plays a part, but also the depth of the code. Pistol Poker has shot up recently but for the longest time was sub 2k, because there is really nothing in the code.

#10 4 years ago

If a NEW Stern Supreme can sell for over $30K, surely this 'vintage' and 'rare' pin is worth $44k.

#11 4 years ago

I played a Krull and it was okay but, I can honestly say I'd not own one and wouldn't give anywhere near what one goes for.

#12 4 years ago

someone on Mr. Pinball was asking 50 grand for a MM a few years ago.... I wonder if the ad is still up

#13 4 years ago

This is actually one I don't have, but I don't have the complete collection of gottlieb games from any era. I've played this game many times and it's not a great playing unit but it is unique and as previously discussed, rare. I'm sure my kids would like the theme and the gameplay because it's about multiball. Not sure how to value it but I have a Thunderball, that's more rare and has crazy amounts of multiball and I don't think that's worth anywhere close to $44,000. If it were offered to me I'd throw down $12,000 Max. Only based on rarity. Imo for $44k you could have one made with brand new everything.

I'm sure there is a collector willing to pay that but I've always paid up for rare things in coin op but that would pay off the 911t so I'm out.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I always wondered how many of those that just "collect" rare machines actually even like playing pinball. I know some people that DO PLAY their rare machines no matter how rare the machine... the rest of these "collectors" seem to just hide in the shadows on Pinside... I always wondered if those that hide in the dark the most, play their machines the least.
    You know who you are people. Owning HEP machines and playing them 10 times or less in 3 years. Owning other rare machines and setting them up getting them working and then removing the balls because you are afraid of "ball damage". You like owning things no one else owns and you play pinball once a month. Do you cringe when you think that people in the distant (or not so distant) future will actually PLAY your machines because they will then be owned by other people? Heaven forbid people actually play "your" pinball machines and perform a slap save or tilt a ball.
    Most very rare machines are rare because they were not great games. A good playing machine is more desirable to own than a dud. Generally, rare machines are duds to play.
    You can spend your time and money however you want, but if you hide in those shadows, please don't pretend that you also play pinball in those shadows and that you automatically belong in the conversation with those that like to actually play pinball daily/weekly. Rant over.

There is a whole world of collectors that seem to just like to collect. I dont personally get it, but is makes them happy so... meh whatever.

For me pinball is meant to be played and shared, but that is me...

I will say that there are actually many rare games that are spectacular! In the past, there were many reasons that games did not make it to production or long runs and it often has little to do with gameplay and more to do with timing, theme that made money on route, or other company stuff that happened behind the scenes.

There are many really good rare games out there.

Personally, goin nuts is pretty meh and I have no desire to ever own one.

#15 4 years ago

Rare (under 400) non-EM pins that I thought were a lot fun:

Yes, I have played these all quite a bit. All the other rare stuff I've played over the years I can do without.

Wrath of Olympus
    BBB
    Kingpin
    Cyclopes
    Varkon
    Global Warfare
    U.S.A. Football
    Bill Paxton Pinball
    Flip Out! 1991
    Gamatron
    Star Light
    Dragonfist
    Defender

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will say that there are actually many rare games that are spectacular! In the past, there were many reasons that games did not make it to production or long runs and it often has little to do with gameplay and more to do with timing, theme that made money on route, or other company stuff that happened behind the scenes.
    There are many really good rare games out there.

This is very true. Alien gets a lot of press, but America's Most Haunted and Mystery Castle are both amazing games that stand up to any.

#17 4 years ago

44k seems a bit steep but only 10 Goin’ Nuts were made , if someone must have one they will have to put in a serious offer . I know the last 2 that sold went for quite a bit .

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

44k seems a bit steep but only 10 Goin’ Nuts were made , if someone must have one they will have to put in a serious offer . I know the last 2 that sold went for quite a bit .

There are only 9 now. Most of the people who own Going Nuts at least know *of* each other. That’s what I’ve heard from two owners.
    They have also turned down ludicrous numbers but divulged it really isn’t worth that. Basically if you want it you would probably pay for it, and mostly likely you wouldn’t sell it for a long long time.

It’s not *worth* 44k but you’ll be hard pressed to find someone actually selling one.

I think it’s a cool game and I’d probably own it for a pretty penny one day down the line, but it’s just because it’s wild and funny and has a silly theme.

On the topic of rare games, I’d LOVE a Varkon, and Gammatron is a bit funny because that was Stern’s standard-version of Flight 2000, and was their inbetween of Stern Electronics and Data East.

#19 4 years ago

I did a goin nuts a few years ago, so I know what some of the recent ones have sold for. As for price, the rare hanger like this most people don't know the market. They're some collectors out there that will pay what it takes to get it. To some, it's not about the money

As for letting them get played, I think that I showed I don't care about people playing my rare finds. I'm the nut that took my krull to Expo

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

I did a goin nuts a few years ago, so I know what some of the recent ones have sold for. As for price, the rare hanger like this most people don't know the market. They're some collectors out there that will pay what it takes to get it. To some, it's not about the money
    As for letting them get played, I think that I showed I don't care about people playing my rare finds. I'm the nut that took my krull to Expo

Awesome you did that. It's what it was meant for. Thank you very much for sharing that with the community!

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Awesome you did that. It's what it was meant for. Thank you very much for sharing that with the community!

By the way, I also took goin nuts to Expo and Midwest gaming classic a few years ago

#22 4 years ago

Fantasy price at $44k have played the game many of times. I actually like the game but not the price of it. I'm probably one a few around a dozen or so who would actually play the game because we like it. I don't own it because just don't have the big $$$$$ to own it. If had the chance to buy at more normal price maybe.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gottlieb-goin-nuts-really-worth-44k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.