Topic poll

“Would you restore a Gottlieb Amazing Spider Man?”

• No, its a boring game 2 votes
    14%
  • Probably not because they aren't worth much $ 1 vote
    7%
  • Yes, its a good game with a great theme and iconic artwork 8 votes
    57%
  • Definitely! Not only is it a great player but it also has a great art package 3 votes
    21%

(14 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cabinet-left-scan-without-lights_(resized).jpg
cabinet-left-scan-with-lights_(resized).jpg
Spiderman_NOS_playfield_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I've got an NOS clear coated Spidey playfield but I've never played the game. The artwork is beautiful but In your opinion is the gameplay good enough for it to be a keeper?

#4 8 years ago

I have a project machine but it's in parts. I'll consider scanning the PF. I think a cruise scan would run about $2-300.

#12 8 years ago

I have that scanner but it only scans a little bit at a time, it would need to be restitched in photoshop which is a humongous pain in the arse. The resolution would definitely be higher than a cruse scanner though.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

An HP 4670 would work too if someone nearby has one.

#13 8 years ago

My experiences with both of those companies haven't been great. I offered to do the artwork for Fireball but got pulled into mess between CPR and Planetary Pinball.

As for Steve, he's a grouchy old fart

Quoted from SealClubber:

Have you tried contacting pbresource or CPR to see if they could scan it to make a rerun? This way you would probably make most of your money back from the purchase of it.

#14 8 years ago

Here's a pic of the playfield.

Spiderman_NOS_playfield_(resized).JPGSpiderman_NOS_playfield_(resized).JPG

#15 8 years ago

Added a poll.

#20 8 years ago

I do use overlap but it's still a pain to match the angles, color saturation, and sometimes a scan or two blurs a bit. Someone will have to stitch it into one piece eventually.

Quoted from vid1900:

Scan it with 25% overlap , and leave it as individual scans.
Do not stitch them together.

#21 8 years ago

I use a place in LA that does work for Disney among other high end clients. I scanned an entire arcade cabinet in 1 shot and noticed when I zoomed in tight a lot of detail was blurry. When I scanned it myself piece by piece it's super clear.

It was definitely more than $100. Maybe you have a better source for cruse scanning.

Quoted from vid1900:

Cruse or Imacon scanners can do a true 1600 PPI, much higher than the HP4600

#28 8 years ago

Some great tips, thanks. I've restored well over 100 arcade pieces but I'm still learning more. I'm using Adobe creative suite 5. Which is really screwed over now that I upgraded to El Capitan. What a pile of crap that is. I'll have to look into photo merge.

Quoted from vid1900:

You need to use a straightedge clamped the length of the playfield. Make 7 scans down one side, then move the straightedge and make your second run.

The cable on the HP4600 is old and stiff. Make sure you clamp it if it's moving the scanner on the waxed playfield.

That's true, but better to let someone who has a high end version of PS do it automatically (File>Automate>Photomerge). Let alone it's much easier to send someone 14 files than one giant whale.

#29 8 years ago

Yeah, learned the scan in the dark trick a little while back. Makes a big difference.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Just to illustrate the difference between with and without lights, here are two scans I did of a cabinet as a comparison a while back when I was testing a few different techniques.
With the scan done with the lights on, you can see some of the squares for each individual scan, since there are color differences between each scan. This is most noticeable in the lower right corner.
cabinet-left-scan-with-lights_(resized).jpg
cabinet-left-scan-without-lights_(resized).jpg
Also note, that any difference in height (like the height of the rail) will affect color and focus of a scan. Additionally, banding only seems to happen on reflective surfaces of a uniform color.

#30 8 years ago

I just brought the one side panel. My regular Reprographics guys in SD are good friends now. Donuts are a great idea though

Quoted from vid1900:

A bulky arcade cab is probably viewed as more of a hassle than bringing in a few flat playfields.
A print shop that sees you as a regular customer who is "no hassle" to them will give you the best deal. Bringing donuts or bagels always scores you big time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gottlieb-amazing-spider-man?tu=pacman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.