Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Curious from those who have played both? I understand not too many have played GnR yet maybe can chime in when you have played GnR.

I’m looking to buy a GnR LE but without playing yet I’m trying to get a feel of how people compare it to Eric’s other pin.

I know to wait and play is the better idea but I don’t want to wait too long maybe sell our LE or just be pushed way out in build date.

Theme to me is a tie because I like both but understand GnR is more assets rich. So GnR will win for me as I like them both the same.

If they’re both the same, I’d get a GnR as cheaper and can get new.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Is GnR as good as JJP PotC??

Different games.

I'm a little confused though. Are you going to buy a JJP POTC if you're told GNR "isn't as good"? Or are you just looking to buy a GNR as long as it's considered as good (or better) than a POTC?

#3 3 years ago

GnR were most popular band in the 1980s and Pirates of the Caribbean is a Disneyland ride from the 1960s, but the game reminds me nothing of that.

I'd wait and save my money until they come out with something relevant.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

GnR were most popular band in the 1980s and Pirates of the Caribbean is a Disneyland ride from the 1960s, but the game reminds me nothing of that.
    I'd wait and save my money until they come out with something relevant.

Like...tik-tok?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Like...tik-tok?

If I knew the answer, then I could charge $13K for a game.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Curious from those who have played both? I understand not too many have played GnR yet maybe can chime in when you have played GnR.
    I’m looking to buy a GnR LE but without playing yet I’m trying to get a feel of how people compare it to Eric’s other pin.
    I know to wait and play is the better idea but I don’t want to wait too long maybe sell our LE or just be pushed way out in build date.
    Theme to me is a tie because I like both but understand GnR is more assets rich. So GnR will win for me as I like them both the same.
    If they’re both the same, I’d get a GnR as cheaper and can get new.

One you can buy the other you can’t, sorry don’t understand the question? Completely different games.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

One you can buy the other you can’t

I didn't see him mention a budget. Except that GnR is cheaper.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If I knew the answer, then I could charge $13K for a game.

Billy Eilish, Lego, NCIS, Tesla, N95 masks?

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Billy Eilish, Lego, NCIS, Tesla, N95 masks?

I guess it comes down to who you cater to. If I had invented Lego, I'd probably have my own personal Legoland.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Like...tik-tok?

What is relevance?? If it does not entertain, I can understand that, but relevance... Nope.. What is relevant for one is irrelevant for others. BTW JJP put it out there... they stated that 500 GNR CE games 12.5K each sold out in under 2 hours... Guess that is relevant.. Wouldn't you say?

#11 3 years ago

One thing you have to hand it to JJP is that all their games play very different. I think they are all good in a unique way, while I haven't played GNR yet I've played all the others and to each their own.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Brokkr:

What is relevant for one is irrelevant for others. BTW JJP put it out there... they stated that 500 GNR CE games 12.5K each sold out in under 2 hours... Guess that is relevant.. Wouldn't you say?

I'm just having a little fun with o-din.

Relevance primarily only matters with licenses, which I don't think are necessary for pinball machines to begin with.

Pinball collectors are also primarily men in their 40s to 70s with disposable incomes, so many licenses that would be relevant to them aren't necessarily the latest things out there to begin with. In the end, you have to cater to your audience...specifically those with money who are actually buying machines. For JJP, this is clearly the home collector, which pushes the envelop of the pinball demographics even further.

I think the answer is to keep themes as they are, but add in more "broad appeal" titles. These machines would help grow pinball and bring in a younger audience. Lego and Toy story would certainly be awesome choices. I would also argue that a few of these have recently been made as well (stranger things, avengers, TMNT). The trouble remains, however, that:

A) most younger people simply can't afford them anyway

and

B) location pinball is currently suffering, and has been in a long-time downturn

#13 3 years ago

JJP POTC is a hard act to follow. I just had to make a choice between these two games and went with Pirates. I'll be eager to see more opinions on how these games stack up against eachother as the dust settles.

#14 3 years ago

I can't wait for the chance to play GNR, which I would have had expo not been canceled! I was fortunate enough to see Pirates when it was unveiled and play it. So I knew then that it would be my one and only NIB. As I typically buy used pins.
    I can say that I would not sell my Pirates unless the price was right of course. But GNR does look like fun. That being said I enjoy the side art on the LE more then the CE.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm just having a little fun with o-din.

I can only take so much fun in a day, and I was certainly running out of gas last night. Trying to pull a rabbit out of my ass one more time seemed futile at best.

Carry on...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gnr-as-good-as-jjp-potc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.