Topic poll

“Is Game of Thrones too bright?”

• Way too bright, it burns my eyes 20 votes
    40%
  • The lights constantly flashing doesn't bother me 30 votes
    60%

(50 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Didn't think about this until watching the stream with the new code. Not talking just about the GI and Flashers but the inserts seem to all flash every single time you do something rewarding on the game. Just wondering others thoughts on this. Reminds me of a strobe light. Was thinking of buying a premium someday but now I'm not so sure.

I thought my WOZ was a bit bright but I remember going into the settings and turning everything down, even the insert lights if I am remembering correctly.

#2 4 years ago

Sometimes the lighting effects are specifically designed to make it hard to see, like in winter is coming. Not necessarily a bad thing

#3 4 years ago

I’ve only played the premium and it’s way to bright. Like seizure inducing bright on people that normally don’t have seizures kind of bright.

#4 4 years ago

Yea, I am aware of that mode. Was watching the stream with my kid and we both thought that the insert flashing was just way too much, during any mode.

#5 4 years ago

Definitely not too bright on my LE. I actually enjoy the light show on the new code even better than before. I believe there is a setting to turn it down now too.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Yea, I am aware of that mode. Was watching the stream with my kid and we both thought that the insert flashing was just way too much, during any mode.

Much different in person. Play in a well lit room and you’ll be fine. As told before, all GI, flashers, and inserts have brightness settings from 0-100%

#7 4 years ago

I haven't had any trouble playing the game.

#8 4 years ago

It is tough on the eyes, but it's a great game. I have a Pro and I think its harder on the eyes than the Prem / LE... maybe because the Prem/LE light show is more smooth and the Prem/ LE has better lighting in the game.

Winter is Coming makes me turn my head and just hold the ball sometimes so I don't have a stroke . There are settings to decrease the brightness (as said above), but it's the intense flashing that bothers me the most. I should probably just play with those more, but it's the only game I have had to mess with that on. There is one to decrease intense lighting effects as well or something, but I guess everyone has a different definition of what that would mean - as I wish it did more. When there was an LE on location around here it never bothered me as much as the Pro at home honestly.

Like said above - play in a well lit room and you'll be fine. The new code is awesome and makes an already great game even better.

#9 4 years ago

There’s a setting to dim it but stock is too much for me

#10 4 years ago

Too many clear inserts on GOT.

Much better when frosted/opaque.

#11 4 years ago

I added 2 spot lights aimed at the center play field and that really helps dull the strobing effects.

I powered them from the coin door so that they are always on and don’t turn off with the GI.

#12 4 years ago

No brighter than any other new Stern....other than the mentioned winter effects.

#13 4 years ago

Turned mine down in the settings.

#14 4 years ago

Any suggested settings for the lighting effects. I don't mind the strobing during any of the winter modes, but I was surprised to see so much during blackwater multiball. When I get some time I will play with the light settings. Love the update though.

#15 4 years ago

if its too bright you can always change the brightness in the menu

#16 4 years ago

I don't think so but when multiball starts, the strobe effect is brutal on the eyes the first handful of times you play it.

#17 4 years ago

look in the menu. i believe it is under the section GoT. its not in the general section

#18 4 years ago

First thing I changed when I had mine. Perfect once you change it in the settings.

#19 4 years ago

I had to lower brightness because Blackwater Multiball was near blinding.

#20 4 years ago

Didn't think about this until watching the stream with the new code. Not talking just about the GI and Flashers but the inserts seem to all flash every single time you do something rewarding on the game. Just wondering others thoughts on this. Reminds me of a strobe light. Was thinking of buying a premium someday but now I'm not so sure.
I thought my WOZ was a bit bright but I remember going into the settings and turning everything down, even the insert lights if I am remembering correctly.

Have youbplayed the game or have you just watched it on a stream? Play the game and make up your mind then. If you want to find excuses not to buy the game, do mot buy the game

Game rocks!

#21 4 years ago

I think the opposite of the LE version, but I am only playing it on location and have no idea whether the settings have been changed. It is the darkest game I’ve seen, and stands out in a row of newer Stern LEs as needing substantial added lighting. This may have been done in the settings by the operator.

I love the game, but the playfield is exceptionally hard to see on location in the Pittsburgh area. I can see why PinStadiums were released.

#22 4 years ago

It’s very bright out of the box, but there are adjustments for everything.

Turn on the setting for less intense lights. Turn down the backbox to reduce glare on the glass. (Mine is at 15). The GI lights can be turned down, but I like them bright. The insert lights can be turned down, and so can the flashers.

I’m pretty sure that if you turned them all, all the way down the game would be black. So there’s no reason to complain in a home environment.

On route it will be set up to take your money, and ya, it can be blinding.

#23 4 years ago

If it’s too bright, you’re too old!

1 week later
#24 4 years ago

I’ve had the premium for a few days. The light show is extremely intense compared to the pro. Very hard to see the ball. It turned all flashers and inserts to like 30% brightness and have the GI ad bright as it will go. It’s perfect now for me.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve had the premium for a few days. The light show is extremely intense compared to the pro. Very hard to see the ball. It turned all flashers and inserts to like 30% brightness and have the GI ad bright as it will go. It’s perfect now for me.

Dont listen to him. Turn nothing down!
: ---- )

Play with factory settings in a pitchblack basement with headphones for the sound.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks for all the responses. The only thing holding me back from this one was my concern over the lights, specifically the insert lighting because I feel like the GI and Flashers could be addressed but those insert lights looked nearly blinding. Would love to see a video of how yours looks now. Watching the JP stream tonight, now that will be a consideration also but over the past couple years I can't get GOT out of my mind. I guess I like castles and dragons better than dinosaurs and Nedry. Stern's new Jurassic Park looks like a lot of fun though, Pro and Premium look great.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No brighter than any other new Stern....other than the mentioned winter effects.

Updating this after i played with new code (pro) and didn't feel it was brighter at all than normal.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Updating this after i played with new code (pro) and didn't feel it was brighter at all than normal.

The concern I had was with the Premium. I think the consensus was the Premium is brighter than the Pro.

#29 4 years ago

The concern I had was with the Premium.

Gotcha. You linked the pro also at the top so I didn't know.

3 weeks later
#30 4 years ago

Would love to see a video of how yours looks now.

This would be pointless. It would look nothing like it actually does. Just take comfort in the fact that the brightness is 100% adjustable for every single light in the game.

Or leave it at 100% and just make sure your game room lighting is always on.

Jurassic park has some moments too that make it very hard to track the ball due to the light show.

All new sterns should be in very well lit rooms imo.

Or my eyes are starting to go. One of the two.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-game-of-thrones-too-bright?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.