Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by burningman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“In a 5 pin collection along the side fairly deep games would Funhouse be a keeper?”

• Yes 104 votes
    78%
  • No 30 votes
    22%

(134 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rudy eyes closed.jpg
shapeimage_1.png
Unknown.jpeg
DSCN2805.JPG
saup.jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

Better games for the Money this game sells for.Theres not much to do with right flipper and the head takes up to much space

Wtf? Gangway (orbit), the ramp, and Mystery Mirror are all right flipper shots.

Also Rudy is the greatest interactive toy in the the history of pinball. His eyes follow the ball around the table. He taunts the player. He gives each player a unique nickname. He gets progressively creepier and more ominous the closer you get to midnight. Once he's put to sleep, his lower lip vibrates in time to his snores. He screams like a banshee if you hit the jackpot. Disliking Rudy is basically saying you dislike awesomeness.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Wtf? Gangway (orbit), the ramp, and Mystery Mirror are all right flipper shots.
Also Rudy is the greatest interactive toy in the the history of pinball. His eyes follow the ball around the table. He taunts the player. He gives each player a unique nickname. He gets progressively creepier and more ominous the closer you get to midnight. Once he's put to sleep, his lower lip vibrates in time to his snores. He screams like a banshee if you hit the jackpot. Disliking Rudy is basically saying you dislike awesomeness.

Is there an upvote 1000 times button?

#53 9 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

Better games for the Money this game sells for.Theres not much to do with right flipper and the head takes up to much space

I disagree that the head takes up too much space, but I do feel they are overpriced for what you get. It is not rare by any means. For me it is great to have because it is pure fun, but also because it is not intimidating for guests. I love LOTR, but guests give up halfway through ball 2 because they do not understand what is going on. If it weren't for the fact that it will fill this kind of role in my lineup I'd never pony up the coin for it again.

For less than a decent fh I can get RBION which is a much more interesting game. It is also one that I love the theme. That or even Tommy if I want a FH clone.

#54 9 years ago

My only reservation on your behalf is that you may find that FH is just TAF Lite. You can tell that it was a warmup to the later game for Pat Lawlor. That being said, I still like FH better (with the exception of the greatest multiball of all time in TAF!). But I'm not a big Lawlor fan, either, so...

#55 9 years ago

Deeprules are great but once you finish the game it becomes tedious pretty damn quick.

#56 9 years ago

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg23 years and counting….Biff

#57 9 years ago

Mine is not going anytime soon.

#58 9 years ago

Funhouse will balance out the games you currently have nicely. If you had a different and/or smaller collection, I'd say no.

#59 9 years ago

Rudy is not creepy!!!

shapeimage_1.pngshapeimage_1.png

Much...

#60 9 years ago

With regards to Funhouse, one could say it is iconic in that it represents the point when "they really started introducing toys".

Rudy still creeps me out.......which makes hitting my balls into his mouth all the more satisfying.....heck do it enough and he calls me a big sausage.......HA

#61 9 years ago

No offense to the op, but (don't ya just love but's) this is the worst question ever!! Of course it's a keeper. Now quick, somebody sell me a Funhouse!!

#62 9 years ago

Nope.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Rudy is not creepy!!!
shapeimage_1.png
Much...

Actually, I think Rudy is supposed to be creepy by design , both visually and vocally. Some of Rudy's call-outs even sound a little threatening (i.e "It's ...getting ... late!"). Look at his image on the translite, and he's all smiles, but has an underlying creepy look to him. Not to mention the entrance to the Funhouse where he looks like he'll eat you alive, and his hands are about to push you in thru his mouth! I mean jeez, he's a freekin talking dummy!

And yes a keeper.

#64 9 years ago

All I need is to create a mod that will cycle Rudy on to say something, then turn off even when the game is off. Because if I am gonna scare the shit outta someone, I want to go BIG.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

All I need is to create a mod that will cycle Rudy on to say something, then turn off even when the game is off. Because if I am gonna scare the shit outta someone, I want to go BIG.

And add a motion sensor so he talks when someone walks by.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

And add a motion sensor so he talks when someone walks by.

That would be part of it!

#67 9 years ago

Asking if fun house is a keeper is subjective just like any other pin bc everyone is different and everything gets old in a small collection . I think it wld be just fine in a collection like yours as wld pretty much any w/b pin for that matter but any pin in a one or two pin collection will get old in my opinion

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

if I am gonna scare the shit outta someone, I want to go BIG.

"I'm not happy with you now".

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

No offense to the op, but (don't ya just love but's) this is the worst question ever!! Of course it's a keeper. Now quick, somebody sell me a Funhouse!!

It's a legitimate question I think if you haven't owned or played a lot. Again, I had mine practically thrown at me until I would agree to take it, and it was only after that happened that I got the love.

#70 9 years ago

it's not the deepest ruleset, but that's a positive attribute for casual players and new initiates.

i know it's a WPC boardset, but I think spiritually it's really kind of the last great System 11 game.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's a legitimate question I think if you haven't owned or played a lot

I agree, just a weak attempt at humor by me.

#72 9 years ago

One of the all time great classics - are you kidding? Of course it's a keeper!
If ANY non-DMD game is a keeper -> It's Funhouse!

#73 9 years ago

Forever in my collection.

Also Rudy's disembodied head scares the hell out of kids - added bonus.

#74 9 years ago

This creepy guy got me into Pinball, he's been with me for 20+ years and here to stay. New cab decals from Phoenix Arcade, new ramps, plastics and a brilliant new IPB playfield installed some years ago. Rudy is happy most of the time.

#75 9 years ago

When I first got into collecting, I really wanted a FH. I thought the theme was great, loved the shots and thought (and still do) that Rudy was one of the best toys ever. I passed on a number of great copies because my wife and daughter thought Rudy was just too creepy. That pretty much killed any chances of me getting one.

Now, if I had the opportunity, I would pass. I now agree that the game is repeatitive and somewhat shallow. I played it quite a bit at TPF after not having played it in about 15 years and was disappointed. I think Whirlwind is a better choice from that era. I love Lawlor games (have Whirlwind, Addams, Safe Cracker and Gofers and anxiously awaiting JJP #3), but can't recommend FH over any of those titles (except maybe NGG).

#76 9 years ago

I've been offered a few Funhouses in the past, but for me it is good for a few plays and no more. I find it mostly boring. And no, Rudy does not creep me out. I find him goofy at best.

Earthshaker is another story. That one is a keeper.

#77 9 years ago

This is just crazy-talk. It isn't april fool's day yet, guys.

#78 9 years ago

I don't get this attitude of "the ruleset is shallow, therefore it's not a keeper". Sometimes you want a shallow ruleset! Taxi has a shallow ruleset and kicks the snot out of many games ranked higher on the top 100. Fun House is really really solid skill game. I can see how people might not like the vibe though. For me, it was the game that got me to want to play pinball again after video games took over. I'd love to own one.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

When I first got into collecting, I really wanted a FH. I thought the theme was great, loved the shots and thought (and still do) that Rudy was one of the best toys ever. I passed on a number of great copies because my wife and daughter thought Rudy was just too creepy. That pretty much killed any chances of me getting one.
Now, if I had the opportunity, I would pass. I now agree that the game is repeatitive and somewhat shallow. I played it quite a bit at TPF after not having played it in about 15 years and was disappointed. I think Whirlwind is a better choice from that era. I love Lawlor games (have Whirlwind, Addams, Safe Cracker and Gofers and anxiously awaiting JJP #3), but can't recommend FH over any of those titles (except maybe NGG).

Same story here. Really wanted FH for first pin but couldn't find one and put off by high price. Played a heavily routed one at expo last year and lost the love a little. My daughter told me Rudy was creepy so that didn't help either. I still would love to have a nice FH but at the cost I think I would rather have something like TZ.

#80 9 years ago

Fun house.

#81 9 years ago

I don't mind the ruleset of Funhouse. It's right out of that system11 mentality of "easy to understand, hard to master". I just ultimately didn't find the pin enjoyable to shoot, and it was easy to let go for something else.

#82 9 years ago

When I first started buying pins, Funhouse was the one I wanted the most, due to the all the great memories of it from my college days. However, as I grew my collection (to 9) and then narrowed down to my space limitations (6), Funhouse was the first to go, as it really didn't measure up vs. the others in my collection. Of course, it's all a matter of personal preference.

#83 9 years ago

Just get one. If you like it keep it. If you dont, you wont have any problems getting rid of it.

1 week later
#84 9 years ago

FH has been my favorite pin since I was 8 or so and continues to be. I know nostalgia is partly behind its popularity, but there is just something completely immersive (even mesmorizing) about it that many, many other games can't touch. Lots of things you could pick apart, but the sum is so much greater than the parts. The game is all soul. You don't lose anything without a DMD on FH IMO.

I would agree that depth or complexity of rules doesn't necessarily translate to replayability. Still a product of its time in some ways, so can't compete with a mid-90s B/W or newer game in terms of ruleset. It destroys in fun factor & charm, however.

2 weeks later
#85 8 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

It destroys in fun factor & charm, however.

Which in the end is all that matters anyway. Games that have personality and can immerse you in their world are always keepers.

#86 8 years ago

Rudy says...."keep me".......

rudy eyes closed.jpgrudy eyes closed.jpg
#87 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Or else I will kill you in your sleep....Bucko.

#88 8 years ago

"Why so Scarrios?"

#89 8 years ago

Great game in a larger collection. Although heaps of fun, just not deep enough for a small collection.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from weeksy:

Great game in a larger collection. Although heaps of fun, just not deep enough for a small collection.

I see why people say this sort of thing but it doesn't hold true for me personally. I tend to like games that are fun and short as much as deep. When I go to PAPA, when I'm on the "floor" I spend about 50% of my time playing Taxi. It's a shallow game but is really fun and has great replay value. Sometimes you hit the jackpot, but I've never taken that to mean "I've now beaten the game" and there's no reason to play anymore.

#91 8 years ago

Fits in just fine with my small collection.

2 months later
#92 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

rudy eyes closed.jpg

That looks awesome! Do you have that installed in your game?

#93 8 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here but I just don't care for Funhouse......never did......never will.

#94 8 years ago

Take away Rudy, and the game is ordinary at best. But with Rudy, this ordinary game has a really cool talking Dummy head.

The rules are shallow and the game is really a one shot wonder. Fun for awhile, but most newer Sterns are better.

The nostalgic factor seems to be the common denominator for those calling it a keeper.

I'd say it's better in a small collection. With more pins, there is less reason to play it. It didn't last long for me.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

rudy eyes closed.jpg

....in your nightmares, forever!! Hory Clap!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It wasn't for me, but I understand why people like it. 6 months was enough in my collection.

I can see why TAMoore says this, as he is a die hard flow-master (from my experience). Lawlor games are more stop and go, but I love all the shots crammed into this game. Plus it's hard to beat Rudy as a toy. He's SO interactive. An amazing feat of engineering.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Take away Rudy, and the game is ordinary at best. But with Rudy, this ordinary game has a really cool talking Dummy head.
The rules are shallow and the game is really a one shot wonder. Fun for awhile, but most newer Sterns are better.
The nostalgic factor seems to be the common denominator for those calling it a keeper.
I'd say it's better in a small collection. With more pins, there is less reason to play it. It didn't last long for me.

This may be true, but for some reason, with or without the annoying Rudy head, this game just has an addictive just-one-more feel to it. And having a relatively shallow ruleset is a welcome refuge from the depth of the rest of my collection (which has WOZ, LOTR, and ACDC). Sometimes it's just nice to hit a dummy in the mouth.

#98 8 years ago

"Sometimes it's just nice to hit a dummy in the mouth"
Which reminds me...I can hardly wait to see you at pintastic, Boob!

#99 8 years ago

You'll have to catch me first, f**ker. They don't call me the White Tornado for nuthin'.

#100 8 years ago

Funhouse is awesome all around - best of the Solid States.

IMO a good number of "newbie" pinball fans are enamored with the deep rule sets (which can be awesome) - but they don't see the fun in a simpler game. LOL - Funhouse is deeper than most of the games that preceded it. It's just a matter of perspective and opinion. So for them, the only keepers tend toward newer, deeper games.

The newer/deeper games also seem like a better fit for console video game players, with the feel of "beating" a game by getting to the end. IMO pinball is better enjoyed for competing and score versus "beating" the game. I still like wizard modes, but my goal isn't to "beat" the game and move on. That mindset seems lacking for how I enjoy pinball. But to each his own

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-funhouse-a-keeper/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.