Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by burningman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“In a 5 pin collection along the side fairly deep games would Funhouse be a keeper?”

• Yes 104 votes
    78%
  • No 30 votes
    22%

(134 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rudy eyes closed.jpg
shapeimage_1.png
Unknown.jpeg
DSCN2805.JPG
saup.jpg

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

I'm thinking of adding a FH to my collection. Does it have staying power? I currently have mm, AFM, im, lotr, and TAF. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

It's a great game. By the looks of your collection you could use a non-dmd, FH is a good candidate. Early WPC game, just out of the sys 11 era.

I'd also recommend a Whirlwind. Staying power is what it's made of in my opinion.

saup.jpg

#3 4 years ago

Yup. Great game. Has that "just one more game" drive.

#4 4 years ago

Fun game but it wasn't a keeper for me. For me it needed a little more depth.

#5 4 years ago

FunHouse is good in a larger collection. If you could only have a few games you're better off with others.

#6 4 years ago

Funhouse is a classic for perfect gameplay.

I hated it for the head before I got it. Got one cheap, was going to fix and sell, fixed, played, wow, never leaving, 4 years later still love it.

#7 4 years ago

It didn't make the cut in my lineup of 25ish pins...I sold it rather quickly (in fact 2 of them). A turnoff to me about the game is that one of the main objective (getting to midnight) in kinda done accidentally. You advance through the clock with switch hits. So if your goal is to get there...you just kinda flail the ball around with no real objective until you hit enough stuff. Just not my type of game

#8 4 years ago

Not for me. Had it a few months and trades for a congo.

Just not lawlor guy.

#9 4 years ago

This is the game that got me to love pinball as a kid and I still love it. Out of all my games, this is the one that gets played the most in my house even when friends come over. It's light hearted at first then turns dark. Lots of different effects. Multiple skill shots. Couple different multiballs. It can come off as a bit easy sometimes but it never loses its luster for me. I love this game. This game made pinball what it is today.. It will never leave my collection.

#10 4 years ago

All your games seem to be deep rule set games.A fun game shallower rule set like FH is CFTBL that would be my pick for a game with a simpler rule set

#11 4 years ago

If I could only have one game, it would be a funhouse. Difficult enough to always keep me coming back. Definitely a "just one more" game

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I could only have one game, it would be a funhouse. Difficult enough to always keep me coming back. Definitely a "just one more" game

On the same boat as this guy

#13 4 years ago

Love mine!

#14 4 years ago

Mine is definitely a keeper!

#15 4 years ago

Funhouse is great game and keeper, unfortunately I sold mine about a year ago and wish I had kept it.

#16 4 years ago

Is FH 2.0 cancelled now?

#17 4 years ago

Mine is a keeper for sure , a classic !

Mike

#18 4 years ago

Funhouse is a really really good game. To me, I hate the animatronic Rudy. He freaks me out. Some shots are challenging, the callouts make you laugh. Rudy is not welcome in my house, but over all, it is a pin worth owning.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Is FH 2.0 cancelled now?

Not unless you know someone that's going to build it....

#20 4 years ago

My 3 years old little girl really like Rudy .... At first I tought she was gonna be afraid but no

#21 4 years ago

If you like the layout, another option would be TRON. It is almost the same and is a little deeper

#22 4 years ago

My first game was Funhouse back in 93/94? I still have it... it would probably be the last to leave (20+ pins).

#23 4 years ago

I've had mine for many years and continue to come back to it over and over. For me it has a kind of classic gameplay that doesn't get old. It is not as deep as some machines (compared to the likes of tz, taf, tspp) but that's part of its staying power for me. smacking Rudy in his ugly freakin face just never gets old.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

If you like the layout, another option would be TRON. It is almost the same and is a little deeper

bad point, as of course you're right about that similitude we all noticed in most of the playfield area, but than nothing more to compare, different era, different games, and absolutly a different feeling

i can play TRON houres after houres
about FH, i always become bored after 2 or 3 games... shoot the ball in the U turn to than use the upepr flipper, or aim the upper trap, than control ball when out of the down trap, and do this again & again... but surelly i'm missing something with that pin !?

#25 4 years ago

First game I bought, and it will never be sold. Currently at my grandmas where it gets the snot played out of it by an 85 year old, all her friends that are over regularly and all the family. When 4 generations of people can play a game, you know it is a great game. I have collected all the stuff needed to restore, but just can't bring myself to do it when I see how much everyone enjoys it there.

#26 4 years ago

No. It is a classic layout and plays extremely well, but good lord is it creepy. I had to put a towel over the game when it wasn't in use. Just had the idea that Rudy was gonna somehow grow a body and escape the machine. Breathed easier after it was sold.

#27 4 years ago

Great classic game for its era although it becomes a little repetitive especially in a small collection.

Personally, I think it is so sought after due to the nostalgic value. I traded mine for a Shadow a few years ago and haven't looked back.

#28 4 years ago

Artwork is nice, but game play is average. I think it's overrated and yes, Rudy is creepy. IMHO there are much better games from this era.

#29 4 years ago

As usual, the best way is to try it before buying it. It depends on your tastes.
I had it and i did not keep it. Not a bad game, but quickly repetitive and a poor ambiance compared to MM or LOTR.

#30 4 years ago

Rudy will always have a place in my home!

#31 4 years ago

Yes, love the game. Sold my beater and looking for another one. Someone please sell me theirs today!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

bad point, as of course you're right about that similitude we all noticed in most of the playfield area, but than nothing more to compare, different era, different games, and absolutly a different feeling
i can play TRON houres after houres
about FH, i always become bored after 2 or 3 games... shoot the ball in the U turn to than use the upepr flipper, or aim the upper trap, than control ball when out of the down trap, and do this again & again... but surelly i'm missing something with that pin !?

You are missing a lot with that pin. Too much to go into great detail, but getting the million plus shot multiple times during midnight multiball is one of the most challenging/rewarding this to be able to do in pinball. That and stacking super frenzy with multiball. Very difficult to do.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

No. It is a classic layout and plays extremely well, but good lord is it creepy. I had to put a towel over the game when it wasn't in use. Just had the idea that Rudy was gonna somehow grow a body and escape the machine. Breathed easier after it was sold.

Are you serious? Haha

#34 4 years ago

Funhouse 4 Life! 1st Pin I got and it is never leaving. I can agree it is somewhat simple to play but it is nice to look at due to it's vibrant and pleasant artwork. It's not an eye-sore in your game room/living room as some pins can be. Who doesn't like or have fond memories of a carnival? It's family friendly. I agree it can be a little eerie, but that makes it that much more satisfying smacking Rudy in the face, shooting the ball in his mouth, and then hiding in the cellar. Another interesting thing about the machine is that Rudy calls each player by a different nickname. You'll soon find yourself referring to friends and relatives as "Slick" and "Biff". Is Rudy controlling your mind? Typical problems with the machine are that the eyes on Rudy don't work. If they are working correctly they will follow the ball around the playfield as your ball strikes targets, and of course the eyes should shut at midnight when Rudy goes to sleep. With a little patience and elbow grease you can get him working. It's definitely a puzzle taking him apart though.

#35 4 years ago

Hate mine so much I kept it for 15 years. Even put a new playfield in that POS!!!

Truth is that it's one of the best games ever made by PL and it's my wife's favorite game ever!

http://www.robsgameroom.com/RGR/FHOwners.html
http://www.robsgameroom.com/RGR/FH.html
http://www.robsgameroom.com/RGR/FHAlbums/FHAlbums.html

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

DSCN2805.JPG

#36 4 years ago

I love FH

#37 4 years ago

Love the game and want another, but it is shallow. If you don't mind repetition get it. Always a fan with newbies. If you want something to keep you enthralled, pass.

#38 4 years ago

It wasn't for me, but I understand why people like it. 6 months was enough in my collection.

#39 4 years ago

I love my Funhouse! It will be the last to leave. The rules are pretty straight forward. It definitely falls into the easy to learn but hard to master category. There's enough shot variety to keep things interesting. I particularly like the artwork, too.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Love the game and want another, but it is shallow. If you don't mind repetition get it. Always a fan with newbies. If you want something to keep you enthralled, pass.

I am not a newbie at all and this game has truly stood the test of time for me.

#41 4 years ago

I love mine. Will be one of the last to go.

#42 4 years ago

I've had mine almost as long as my Pinbot. It was the other fav. of mine growing up, and the only other game that has stayed put. Great game and it isn't going anywhere unless I'm in dire need of $$$. It is a reverse layout of Addams, so if you think Addams has a great layout and not Funhouse, you may be partial to one flipper/side.

#43 4 years ago

One of the best for sure its very cool theme.Rudy's the man.you big sausage!!!!

#44 4 years ago

I'm looking for a FH player on the west coast. Anyone have one they need to move?
I have had two of them over the years. It was my 2nd game ever, back in the 90s. With moving and kids, etc..., games come and go, but I am ready to have one again.

#45 4 years ago

It's an all time classic! Next to "pinball" in the encyclopedia there should be a picture of Rudy!

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PlatinumPinMike:

My 3 years old little girl really like Rudy .... At first I tought she was gonna be afraid but no

I've only had mine a month but love it and like a few others its the main pinball that I remember from my early teens and arcades, not going anywhere but my nephew 3 years old was over today and saw Rudy for the first time, he yelled one word then I had to shut it off. "SCARY"

#47 4 years ago

Given the other games you own, FH may not be deep enough for you. I love FH as it was my favorite when I was in college, but it can be on the shallow and repetitive side compared to the newer games.

#48 4 years ago

It's a hit. Classic Pat Lawlor. Very fast playing and great theme. The shots are awesome. The carnival is also a great theme. Extremely colorful artwork. Excellent call outs. Not the deepest rules but deep enough. It's a keeper for me.

#49 4 years ago

Better games for the Money this game sells for.Theres not much to do with right flipper and the head takes up to much space

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

Better games for the Money this game sells for.Theres not much to do with right flipper and the head takes up to much space

Blasphemy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
North Attleborough, MA
$ 16.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside