(Topic ID: 160504)

Is Free Gold Watch worth going to?

By girloveswaffles

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0220_(resized).png
    IMG_0219_(resized).png
    IMG_0217_(resized).png
    IMG_0214_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    #1 7 years ago

So after a year of bad stuff, and not being able to go on a real vacation over the last year, I'm planning to possibly go to the Bay Area in July when I have some vacation time available. I'm already planing to go to the Pacific Pinball Museum again, as well as The Muse Mechanique. I haven't been to SF in a few years, and only found out about Free Gold Watch after the last time I was there (after I had been to Amoebae Records a block away ) and I was wondering if it is worth going to.

Opinions?

#2 7 years ago

Oh absolutely! Free Gold Watch is awesome! They have a great collection of games, including the latest such as Ghostbusters Pro, The Hobbit LE, etc. There are other venues in the Bay Area besides Pacific Pinball Museum and Free Gold Watch, but those are the two largest. Definitely recommend both!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from MacJedi:

Oh absolutely! Free Gold Watch is awesome! They have a great collection of games, including the latest such as Ghostbusters Pro, The Hobbit LE, etc. There are other venues in the Bay Area besides Pacific Pinball Museum and Free Gold Watch, but those are the two largest. Definitely recommend both!

Thanks. I may just venture over to Haight Ashbury and go there then (and make a stop at Amoeba and Rasputin while I'm there).
    I'll just make sure I go in the daytime this trip.

#4 7 years ago

Sounds like a good plan! I usually stop at Amoeba when I go to Free Gold Watch as well.

#5 7 years ago

It's a great place. Not as big as the one in Holly wood, but they did have a lot of deals there. Even found some good deals on some import DVD's

#6 7 years ago

Yes definitely!

I took Uber their and had a good time.

My Bay Area vacation last summer had 3 stops.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sf-bay-area-pinball-tour

#7 7 years ago

I went there last month on my trip to San Fran. Highly recommend it. All the newest games along with a ton of classics.

Pete

#8 7 years ago

As others have said, definitely. Just make sure to check their hours. The operate more of a 9-5 type deal, as opposed to being open later like other arcades. I was there a couple months ago, and all the pins I played were in good working order. They also maintain a whiteboard right as you enter that lets you know of any issues on the pins. Cool place.

#9 7 years ago

Free Gold Watch to me is a must not miss.

Ameoba records is great!

Rasputins is skippable and owned by a horrible man.

If you are really into records, and I am unsure what genre you listen to, there are some great shops in the mission, but they may be more niche. 1-2-3-4 GO records is great for rock n roll and punk, Aquarius is good for harder to find independent stuff, Thrillhouse is really great for smaller hard to find punk stuff.

#10 7 years ago

Def worth it! I stop by everytime I'm in SF...

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

As others have said, definitely. Just make sure to check their hours. The operate more of a 9-5 type deal, as opposed to being open later like other arcades. I was there a couple months ago, and all the pins I played were in good working order. They also maintain a whiteboard right as you enter that lets you know of any issues on the pins. Cool place.

Good info. Thanks.

#12 7 years ago

I was there just last week and spent about 4 hours on just $20. Plenty of replays to be had, and I even scored 5 replays during a single game on their Gottlieb wedgehead in the corner (name escapes me at the moment). For all that's up front, there's just as much stuff being worked on in the back. Talk him up and he might show you the others, plus the vintage Macintosh computer collection.

#13 7 years ago

FGW Rulez! It is a must visit for any pinhead who visits the city.

#14 7 years ago

Just reread your post, I would say FGW should be a priority over the musee mechanique unless you are really into the old mechanical display games, not for pinball.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Just reread your post, I would say FGW should be a priority over the musee mechanique unless you are really into the old mechanical display games, not for pinball.

Actually, I'd be going to Fishermans Warf any ways, so I'd probably spend some time at Musee Mechanique any ways (and have an in interest in old coin-op equipment as well), but I'm considering going to the Haight Ashbury area as well. Since all the feedback has been positive, adding FGW into the mix pretty much means I would be going there now if I do go to the Bay area. (but I'd probably skip Rasputin on Haight ad just drop by the one in San Lorenzo on the way in instead).

#16 7 years ago

Here's a pic they posted to Instagram yesterday

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#17 7 years ago

Absolutely a great place and great people. Highly recommended!

#18 7 years ago

+1
    I love this place. Best selection of pins in the Bay Area.

#19 7 years ago

Went there last month, FGW is awesome!

#20 7 years ago

Yes but MM has a Hyperball and I can't find that anywhere else on the west coast. Even the one that used to be at PHoF is out of commission!

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Yes but MM has a Hyperball and I can't find that anywhere else on the west coast. Even the one that used to be at PHoF is out of commission!

I know 3 1/2 years ago when I was there last that Hyperball was looking sweet. Played really well to!

#22 7 years ago

What's the story behind the name? How many hobo's walk in off the street looking for a Free Gold Watch?

#23 7 years ago

FGW is a must if you're in the area!

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

What's the story behind the name? How many hobo's walk in off the street looking for a Free Gold Watch?

Was wondering the same...hobo's wandering in ...hahaha

#25 7 years ago

The t-shirts have tags that are shaped/colored like a gold watch.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

The t-shirts have tags that are shaped/colored like a gold watch.

Yep- guess the story is the company is actually a screen printing business, and the owner started putting in a couple of pinball machines. This drew people into the store. So he just kept adding more and now it's more of a pinball arcade then anything.

#27 7 years ago

The shirts are still pretty dope though

#28 7 years ago

Didn't realize they had all the new pins there...now I'm going!

#29 7 years ago

Here's a pic they posted to Instagram yesterday

LOL just noticed the first three DMD's in the picture make out a message (sort of):

"DID YOU KNOW?"

"THE LIGHT
    THAT BURNS"

"AC/DC"

1 week later
    #30 7 years ago

And so yesterday it occurred to me: California Extreme is coming up.
    I found that it's on a week end around the time I was thinking of going, so it looks like I may go up to San Francisco and see Free Gold Watch a day or two before California Extreme and then go down to Santa Clara for the show.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

And so yesterday it occurred to me: California Extreme is coming up.
    I found that it's on a week end around the time I was thinking of going, so it looks like I may go up to San Francisco and see Free Gold Watch a day or two before California Extreme and then go down to Santa Clara for the show.

That's a great plan. I was just at FGW 2 days ago and they currently have the best lineup I've ever seen--hands down. Here is the current list according to Pinball map.

AC/DC (Premium) (Stern, 2012)
    The Addams Family (Bally, 1992)
    Attack from Mars (Bally, 1995)
    Bad Cats (Williams, 1989)
    Baywatch (Sega, 1995)
    Black Knight 2000 (Williams, 1989)
    Black Pyramid (Bally, 1984)
    Cactus Canyon (Bally, 1998)
    Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Bally, 1975)
    Centaur II (Bally, 1983)
    Demolition Man (Williams, 1994)
    Eight Ball Deluxe (Bally, 1980)
    Embryon (Bally, 1980)
    Firepower (Williams, 1980)
    Fun Land (Gottlieb, 1968)
    Game of Thrones (LE) (Stern, 2015)
    The Getaway: High Speed II (Williams, 1992)
    Ghostbusters (Pro) (Stern, 2016)
    Harlem Globetrotters On Tour (Bally, 1978)
    The Hobbit (Smaug Edition) (Jersey Jack, 2016)
    Honey (Williams, 1972)
    Iron Man (Vault Edition) (Stern, 2014)
    Jokerz (Williams, 1988)
    Kiss (Premium) (Stern, 2015)
    Lord of the Rings (Stern, 2003)
    The Machine: Bride of Pin-bot (Williams, 1991)
    Medieval Madness (Williams, 1997)
    Metallica (Pro) (Stern, 2013)
    Meteor (Stern, 1979)
    Monster Bash (Williams, 1998)
    NBA Fastbreak (Bally, 1997)
    No Good Gofers (Williams, 1997)
    Paragon (Bally, 1978)
    Playboy (Bally) (1978)
    Radical! (Bally, 1990)
    Raven (Gottlieb, 1986)
    Star Trek (Pro) (Stern, 2013)
    Star Trek: The Next Generation (Williams, 1993)
    Star Wars (Data East, 1992)
    Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World (Gottlieb, 1992)
    TRON: Legacy (Stern, 2011)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Williams, 1991)
    Theatre of Magic (Bally, 1995)
    Twilight Zone (Bally, 1993)
    WHO Dunnit (Bally, 1995)
    The Walking Dead (Pro) (Stern, 2014)
    White Water (Williams, 1993)
    The Wizard of Oz (Emerald City LE) (Jersey Jack, 2013)
    World Cup Soccer (Bally, 1994)
    X-Men (Pro) (Stern, 2012)

#32 7 years ago

Now I just have to see if I can manage an extra day off so I can go to both Haight Ashbury and have time to go to Alameda Island for Pacific Pinball Museum and High Scores. But as it stands, I'm defiantly going to FGW on Friday and then California Extreme on Saturday.

#33 7 years ago

Now I just have to see if I can manage an extra day off so I can go to both Haight Ashbury and have time to go to Alameda Island for Pacific Pinball Museum and High Scores. But as it stands, I'm defiantly going to FGW on Friday and then California Extreme on Saturday.

High scores is great, but if you are going to California Extreme I cant imagine there not being every single game you would find at High Scores at the show.

#34 7 years ago

High scores is great, but if you are going to California Extreme I cant imagine there not being every single game you would find at High Scores at the show.

Yes, but I haven't been to High scores before, and I was originally planning to go there before I remembered California Extreme.
    And I wanted to go to PPM as well.

#35 7 years ago

Yes, but I haven't been to High scores before, and I was originally planning to go there before I remembered California Extreme.
    And I wanted to go to PPM as well.

Its not like youre not going to have fun anyway! I have heard High Scores keeps their machines in really clean shape.

#36 7 years ago

Free gold watch is awesome! I also take all the free cruises those telemarketers offer me.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Free gold watch is awesome! I also take all the free cruises those telemarketers offer me.

Wait... you leave the neighborhood?

#38 7 years ago

YES!
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and was truly impressed at the variety as well as the condition of the games there.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from LEE:

YES!
    I was there a couple of weeks ago and was truly impressed at the variety as well as the condition of the games there.

I'm assuming you mean FGW and not High Scores, but up-vote anyways.

1 month later
    #40 7 years ago

Went there today:

IMG_0214_(resized).pngIMG_0214_(resized).png
    IMG_0217_(resized).pngIMG_0217_(resized).png
    IMG_0220_(resized).pngIMG_0220_(resized).png
    IMG_0219_(resized).pngIMG_0219_(resized).png

More pictures to come.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-free-gold-watch-worth-going-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.