Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #174 From the man himself. Slap Save Podcast will be a must listen. Posted by Metaluna5 (4 years ago)

Post #234 Podcast link with Franchi discussing details Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

It will be interesting to see what he does next.
    Stern seems like a terrible place to work.

If it was terrible I wouldn’t be there. And I worked for Zidware.

I like Chris - I’m disappointed he decided to make his decision to split a means to try to damage others.

Having Kaneda ‘interview’ you with zero challenges is a great way to get the real picture for sure... I was there btw throughout - he should re-trace his steps and rethink the facts.

He doesn’t like me for some reason - so I’ll give him one, from my vantage point: his problems are his own making.

No professional artist does what he is saying. You are being paid for the work AND usage rights. You don’t own your work anymore. So when you decide to sell it you are making additional income from art you were afforded to make on another persons dime. Not ethical- not ever.

When you are asked nicely to stop selling it you do NOT argue or belittle the company that owns your work. And you don’t DO IT AGAIN... and again...and again.

And when you do? Expect it won’t be well received. Apologize and stop it.

And as an aside - throwing personality insults at people is petty. (Greg is hilarious, btw) I’ve never had an issue with anyone at Stern and consider everyone a friend at this point. But I also have never tried to tell Gary Stern or anyone else how to operate. I’m a hired gun working on a team.

Listen, If I mess up, I’m not a victim of anyone else but myself. I own up to it and try to learn from my mistakes.

blah blah blah...Actions speak louder than words. It’s easy to control a message when you define the rules and know that no one will rebut out of professionalism. It’s regrettable that Chris chose this path. I wish him the best - he’s immensely talented and has plenty of great work ahead of him. I just hope he can get out of his way.

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Thanks for the reply, there are as almost allways, two sides to a story.

I wish I wouldn’t have to

I also want to add that, while I don’t know the details of what went down - the idea that Elvira, Greg’s game, was being celebrated at an event by Stern is enough reason NOT to try to interject your competing Elvira art (out of respect alone).

That’s an odd one to complain about. And even more odd to consider it being ok when looked at objectively.

Ok that’s it - I’ll step away... negativity is easy, I hate to partake even in defense... apologies to all.

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, i dont listen to the podcast, are you saying that Franchi should not have been allowed at Expo because Greg had a game debuting publicly?
    Gotta disagree on that one. Dude is now a known pinball artist and looking to make a living. It is smart for him to be at every major show, selling his art and getting his name out there if he wants to try and find more work.

Not at all what I said. Listen to the podcast & it will make sense. It’s great that he was there - it’s not great that he complains that he wasn’t allowed to make a print to directly compete and dismiss why the event was taking place.

The short of it - He contacted Elvira’s mgmt (NOT ever contacting stern I’ll assume) to try to do an exclusive Elvira print for the show. She was there for And on the dime of Stern.

He complained that he wasn’t allowed to do a competing print for an event? Out of respect for Greg’s game alone, it’s understandable why they would say no thanks - but add in the context of who paid for her appearance and it’s bizarre to complain about and make it seem unfair.

I was addressing a print and bad taste. That’s all.

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Then again, the other side being, and maybe zombieyeti could shed some light here (but obviously he wants to stay in good favor and employed) would be that Chris was selling prints, due to commissions not paying very favorably from Stern, and as a pinball artist in general.

First off - my intent to comment here wasn’t to pile on Chris. I was bothered greatly by what I heard on the podcast and wanted to add some context to prevent the imaginations going wild on the anti-stern front. So please don’t take my perspective as open season on Chris. Again I like him - he’s amazingly talented and well suited for pinball.

Second - Stern pays well for the usage and creation based on standards I’m accustomed to. I’m certain Chris made more than me based on hourly breakdowns though as he was known to knock things out quickly. I’m envious as unfortunately I’m slow as molasses when it comes to the finish & polish stages... has me rethinking my life choices all the time in fact

Chris also has said he has a day job and pinball was moonlighting for him. So, justification of selling prints is at odds with that as well.

#379 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I literally draw all day long...but it's in the context of drawing out thousands of storyboard panels, sketching things for artists and designers, etc..mostly quick & loose drawings for animation use. I don't paint highly detailed "gallery quality" pieces of art like Yeti & Franchi.

Wanna trade? Just for a day! I miss working loose.

Seriously though - I used to do both story boarding for advertising and I still dabble in some traditional 2d animation within that realm on occasion.

Work is work - clean or otherwise - it’s all equal in my book. And time based planning is the most important part of animation for my money.

#417 4 years ago
    Quoted from La4s:

Have any of you guys been to a comic convention? I would say at least 75-80% of the artist booths are filled with unauthorized drawings of Marvel/DC characters. And, many of these artists are previous contractors for Marvel/DC. This includes everything from small buttons to gallery sized frame sketches, and most are probably larger runs than Franchi is printing. I, personally, don't think he is doing anything wrong by selling small batches of unique are pieces.
    Hell, go to any pinball show. Guarantee most if not all of the mods and art work aren't correctly licensed either.

An original piece of art made at the convention is fair use. Printing art made prior is selling unlicensed art - unless you own the rights. Big difference fwiw.

For instance - if I buy a piece of my work from stern - a translite - I own that physical piece and could resell.

What I couldn’t do is print out and sell any of my art that I Created for and sold to them.

#419 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I understand if you don't want to/can't answer, but I'm assuming your contract with Stern gives them exclusive rights to all the art you create for a project? Do you get anything extra if Stern were to sell prints or t-shirts with your commissioned art? What about translites that some people buy to frame? How exactly does it work when your art is of a separately licensed material? I assume Stern would have to renew/pay Disney if they wanted to slice up your art and sell a new Deadpool print?

I don’t know the licensing details Stern makes with licensors. But as an artist I’m paid to create and give ownership of rights of my creations to stern and the licensor. So the pay reflects the acquisition as well as labor.

Anything else is not part of any contract I’ve seen - but it’s always possible I’m sure.

Translites I’ve sold I had bought from stern to then sell. That’s a physical item you can own

The only exception is Primus. The band allows a print run that some day I’ll do. But that’s because I was technically hired by them for that project.

#421 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah I guess I was asking in a very roundabout way if you had negotiated for ongoing royalties or fees for the art to be placed on additional items for sale. Or maybe receive a bonus check if a game sells really well or if Stern sells a ton of t-shirts/translites/banners/etc

Out of respect I don’t talk details.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zombieyeti.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-?tu=zombieyeti and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.