Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #174 From the man himself. Slap Save Podcast will be a must listen. Posted by Metaluna5 (4 years ago)

Post #234 Podcast link with Franchi discussing details Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Is he the one that bad mouthed Gomez and aired the dirty laundry? If so, wouldn't surprise me and I'd have fired him in that position. You make a comment like that and it's not likely the first time and someone like that is a cancer

Wasn't he a contractor? It's semantics, but it's not really firing someone if they don't opt to renew the contract or accept the proposal for work.

That said, Franchi did good work for Stern and it stinks to lose work. But if you're not going to be professional with how you discuss your business partner, then you can't be surprised that they don't want to continue the relationship. Good artists are not hard to find, even if it's a small subset of artists who view pinball as a passion project.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from PunkPin:

I figured that whole Beetlejuice post was orchestrated by Stern as a teaser to gauge interest and he was just playing his part

That seems way too elaborate for such little payoff. Stern could just make a burner account here and make a post with some ideas if they wanted to gauge interest. (And probably have done so in the past and will do so again)

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

What Trudeau did had "zero" effect on my Ghostbusters NIB sales. As a matter of fact that game has been/was one of our very best selling Stern games for us of all time. The theme, audio, appearance and game play of that game was a ringer for first time home buyers in our store as it was a time less theme everyone knew and could relate too. Ghostbusters on our showroom floor never lasted very long at all.
    If those that sold their Ghostbusters did sell it second hand because of what Trudeau did. It was sold second hand...and that too would have zero effect to Stern Pinball.

Yeah but Stern also stopped manufacturing the game very quickly. Seems odd for such a juggernaut license that was a huge seller, no?

I think the obvious reason they stopped production so relatively soon was because of the Trudeau crimes. People can say it's because of the code/layout or whatever, but it's the PR of selling a game by an alleged pedophile who did later plead guilty to assaulting a minor. (And I think Stern made the right choice)

Anyways, Franchi wasn't fired for not being "PC" or whatever (that term has no meaning anymore). It was simple poor professional form. You don't throw your business partners under the bus when you don't like how things went down.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

The game was still being produced when I took a tour two months ago. While not as many on the line as Munsters, Iron Maiden, or Deadpool, it was there as well as Star Trek.

Still being produced or they had some extra parts in their testing area? Stern has had Ghostbusters in the "archive" of their games on the website for at least a year now.

The Star Trek is a vault edition

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think the short run time had more to do with the display change for Stern company wide then anything else. Are there any of the DMD games being produced currently? Metallica and Star Trek VE were the last ones I could think of and neither have been on the line recently...

They were still making Metallica and ACDC when Ghostbusters was mothballed. I'm pretty sure ST VE was announced after GB had stopped. I think many people are expecting another DMD VE to come out soonish.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metaluna5:

This has been entertaining, so I didn't say anything sooner. No, I didn't quit Stern. If you care to know what's going on, tune in to Slap Save Pinball Podcast Monday morning. I'll give you what you want to know. In the meantime, I know I can always look forward to comments like "Big deal, he's replaceable. Anybody can do pinball art" when I retire. You may now go back to eating that bag of chips resting on your gut, while you get grease all over your keyboards talking shit about that which you have no clue of. Good day!

Burn them bridges!

I like your style Chris, even if it's probably going to do more damage than help. I at least get a 20 min podcast to enjoy while I make clacky noises on my greasy work keyboard

#215 4 years ago

If you drink enough to worry about the health effects of BPA, you got bigger issues to worry about.

I say this as a person who drinks beer, but also married a doctor who will regularly point out how bad alcohol is for me regardless of the container it was served in. (At least she loves pinball!)

1 week later
    #287 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Wow. Slap Save Podcast posted this on FB.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I guess we can assume that game is dead as a potential theme then? (That movie as a license at least. The comic or another Superman film is still possible I suppose)

5 months later
    #313 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, i dont listen to the podcast, are you saying that Franchi should not have been allowed at Expo because Greg had a game debuting publicly?
    Gotta disagree on that one. Dude is now a known pinball artist and looking to make a living. It is smart for him to be at every major show, selling his art and getting his name out there if he wants to try and find more work.

That’s not what it was and you should listen to the podcast for the details.

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I think Chris represented himself and pinball very well on Kaneda. He was level headed and took the time to explain his point of view. In my opinion, this was the best interview Kaneda has had to date. Additionally, I got to spend time with Chris at Pintastic and he comes off as a very down to earth person. He is just a regular guy who is passionate about what he does..........and one hell of an artist! I hope he lands somewhere as it would be a big loss if he had to leave Pinball.

I agree and disagree. On the one hand, he was simply giving his perspective on events. On the other hand, you don't throw business partners under the bus even if you feel like they wasted a lot of your time. I do hope he is able to find more work in the industry, but it's hard to get involved with a guy who isn't going to have a professional filter.

#343 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'm guessing CGC because he mentioned whoever he was going to be working for was debuting a topper at Expo and CGC released a topper.American Pinball could use his skills to bring their package together.

I hope it's American Pinball. The art on the playfield and LCD is really the only major thing holding back Oktoberfest from being a solid B+ kinda game in my opinion. They seem competent enough to build games, have unique designs, and new ideas. But I've had zero desire for their games besides putting in a roll of quarters once or twice.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Maybe. Hell, sometimes i think i need some therapy.

Therapy is great. I've only done a small handful of sessions in my life, but they definitely made me reevaluate some things I wasn't comfortable discussing by myself, let alone to anyone close to me. (And doing mushrooms every couple of years). It was also super helpful when my wife and I first got together and we went through those normal growing pains of cohabiting and bickering about stuff that we know didn't really matter.

Everyone should go to therapy on occasion. It's no different than a periodic visit to a medical doctor, optometrist, or dentist.

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I heard the same thing from someone at Stern right after Munsters came out. I agree they would have been a fun add, but they were right....someone would have tried to move the game using those handles and then would have went on a Pinside rant when the cabinet cracked. I would assume they would also have stuck out some and could have caused damaged to other games in the row?

I guess it would depend on if they went out further than the back box does.

But it is a great idea for modders. The handles and maybe a steel plate to reinforce them and charge $300+ or something ridiculous.

#418 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

An original piece of art made at the convention is fair use. Printing art made prior is selling unlicensed art - unless you own the rights. Big difference fwiw.
    For instance - if I buy a piece of my work from stern - a translite - I own that physical piece and could resell.
    What I couldn’t do is print out and sell any of my art that I Created for and sold to them.

I understand if you don't want to/can't answer, but I'm assuming your contract with Stern gives them exclusive rights to all the art you create for a project? Do you get anything extra if Stern were to sell prints or t-shirts with your commissioned art? What about translites that some people buy to frame? How exactly does it work when your art is of a separately licensed material? I assume Stern would have to renew/pay Disney if they wanted to slice up your art and sell a new Deadpool print?

#420 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

I don’t know the licensing details Stern makes with licensors. But as an artist I’m paid to create and give ownership of rights of my creations to stern and the licensor. So the pay reflects the acquisition as well as labor.
    Anything else is not part of any contract I’ve seen - but it’s always possible I’m sure.
    Translites I’ve sold I had bought from stern to then sell. That’s a physical item you can own
    The only exception is Primus. The band allows a print run that some day I’ll do. But that’s because I was technically hired by them for that project.

Yeah I guess I was asking in a very roundabout way if you had negotiated for ongoing royalties or fees for the art to be placed on additional items for sale. Or maybe receive a bonus check if a game sells really well or if Stern sells a ton of t-shirts/translites/banners/etc

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider treybo69.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-?tu=treybo69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.