Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #174 From the man himself. Slap Save Podcast will be a must listen. Posted by Metaluna5 (4 years ago)

Post #234 Podcast link with Franchi discussing details Posted by PismoArcade (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#322 4 years ago

Franchi is a very good artist. I like a lot of his stuff. You can't expect to be very popular or well liked with stern if you keep doing things they tell you not to do. Selling unlicensed art that is from the licensed game at shows when your employer asks you not too is pretty silly. Trying to claim there is some unwritten rule and doing it anyway when you know stern wants you not to is going to make a you against them feeling and isolate you. Why not just work with stern to have things approved that you could sell that wouldn't piss your employer off and cause staff members no longer to trust you?

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I would love to hear a recording of Gary going off on Franchi for ten minutes over this. Chris said that he screamed at him nonstop about making money off of the Stern name.

There are always 2 sides to every story. It sounded like the ground work for a lot of distrust was laid when Franchi kept selling prints after he was asked not to. Sounded like Franchi did a lot to create the toxic environment but that is just my opinion from the outside looking in. Stern and Franchi are probably both happier in the long run with the parting. Unfortunate, because I really like Franchi's work and he definitely was part of sterns recent success. Not every company is the right fit and vice versa.

#344 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Spot on take. Since Franchi's came onto the scene, he's always played the part of the sad-sack victim. Great artist, but doesn't understand the "rules" of professionalism...his ego gets the best of him, he wants to be THE STAR...Kaneda, as someone who talks about pinball almost exclusively in terms of art, plays to that to get him to leak art & spill the beans on podcasts. Franchi never understood that Stern is the star...Stern knows what Stern wants, and Franchi just can't run around doing whatever - it messes with their plans, their relationships, and paints them in a bad light. Long story short - he needs to learn how to do the work, get paid, and just shut up. Needing the adulation of the pinball hobby scene that badly is unhealthy - hang out with your friends & family.
    I hope whatever company he's working with now lays down some strict ground rules in the contract, or they're just gonna have to deal with the same thing.
    BTW, he's not just Mr. Victim with his work, it bleeds into his real life views...when I saw this hot take on equality issues, I knew exactly who he was & why Stern would eventually have to boot him. "Wah wah wah, I'm a man, my life is so hard, wah wah wah!"[quoted image]

I would be very careful taking one statement from anyone and using that to determine who they are as a person. Everyone is so quick to judge someone that they really dont know at all. And even if his views are the exact opposite of yours you still have more in common with him then you have differences. I could take one select statement from every last person on the planet and make a strong case that they are a horrible person. That wouldnt make it true though.

#348 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It was one example, but there are plenty.

Im sure there are, but once again, having a differing view point does not make you some horrible person. I know plenty of people that say some of the craziest stuff that would make people cringe or if said online would start some social justice pile on. But what all the haters dont know or care about is who they actually are as a person or the many incredible things they have done to help people. Instead people take a random viewpoint and use that to tear each other down. We are all learning, evolving, growing each day of our lives. If you want to judge someone at least judge the whole person, or better yet, worry about your own contribution to the world instead of trying to decide who sucks as a human being. We are all more alike then different.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not about a "different" point of view OR being horrible. It's about a person who is always making himself a victim. Blaming others for his faults, rather than looking inward or being empathetic toward others and their experiences. I don't think he's horrible. I think he needs to be more self-aware to understand why he is often in this position or feeling this way. Perhaps therapy if he hasn't tried it. (...and just clarifying - I'm NOT saying that as an insult. Therapy can be a wonderful tool to help you figure out things about yourself and improve your life)

Maybe. Hell, sometimes i think i need some therapy.

#358 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I lost respect for Franchi when he called out Bowen on FB over sexist comments. Dude can dish stuff out, but boohoos on other shit...

Not sure understand your argument. Bowen seems to rub people equally wrong with his social media attacks.

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Fasle equivalency. Who's Bowen rubbing wrong? Sexual harassers & dudes who wish it was still the 80's so they could be a-holes without consequence? Oh no.

I dont know Bowen or Franchi personally. I do hear plenty of people that seem to really dislike both of them based on their online interactions. So I just thought it was a strange comparison. And no, not all of the people that Ive heard say similar things about Bowen that you are about Franchi are 80's neanderthals. You are painting a lot of people with a very broad brush.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

A lot of "I heard people say" going on here. If you're upset about something Bowen said, bring proof, let's discuss. I've seen his posts where he's been on the correct side of issues, sticking up for people who've been abused and harassed. If someone is upset by that, that tells me more about them than Bowen.

Im not upset about anything Bowen says or does. Its his life to live however he sees fit. Both Bowen and Franchi seem to be vilified by the pinball community to some extent. Just telling you what i have personally heard and seen online. It was just a strange example to me as i see both of them as pinball people that seem to invoke a lot of emotion from people right or wrong.

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Everything was wrong with Oktoberfest's art. EVERYTHING. Monkey or no monkey, it's just offensive to the human eyeball as truly horrible artwork.

Haha, couldn't agree more. Gameplay actually looks cool but boy is it hard to look at. A shame because i think it could have done a lot better without a lot more invested into it.

#378 4 years ago

Just got to add that I love what ZY and Franchi have brought to pinball. There are a ton of great artists but no one can deny that stern has dramatically improved there srt packages in the last few years and ZY and Franchi played huge roles in that. Much respect.

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Sound advice TFA!

Only if they are 16 oz. None of those little 12oz baby beers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.