Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.
    #351 4 years ago

For American Pinball to pick Franchi up, they would have to admit their art sucks...and I don't see much of a chance of that happening.

As for the way Franchi handles himself online...I always get this weird incel vibe off a lot of his public comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in the corporate pinball world, that isn't a flag that is smart to fly as one of the faces of your company.

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I dunno, I try and focus on the individual. We all suffer and face great hardships in this world, and there's no reason we can't validate one another's suffering as well as accomplishments.

Absolutely, but as Yeti put it - his problems are of his own making. He needs to recognize that and grow from that experience, or history will continue to repeat. Look, I know I'm being blunt - but I'm talking from experience. I'm an artist who works with a team...it's not just about me. When I was younger, I was a bit more like Franchi...and a few times I did some really stupid shit that made my colleagues and bosses look bad. They probably SHOULD have fired me....thankfully they didn't, and they told me why they were upset and why what I did was wrong. I took that and learned from it, and grew...I didn't resent them or keep doing the same thing again. I learned that lesson in my 20's, and it's done nothing but make my personal and professional life better. Franchi's not too old to learn and grow. I know my blunt posts are a bit caustic, but really I want the best for him - because he is an amazing talent. Just think how much more amazing he'd be if he was a bit more reflective and understood where his bosses & colleagues were coming from?

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not about a "different" point of view OR being horrible. It's about a person who is always making himself a victim. Blaming others for his faults, rather than looking inward or being empathetic toward others and their experiences. I don't think he's horrible. I think he needs to be more self-aware to understand why he is often in this position or feeling this way. Perhaps therapy if he hasn't tried it. (...and just clarifying - I'm NOT saying that as an insult. Therapy can be a wonderful tool to help you figure out things about yourself and improve your life)

Maybe. Hell, sometimes i think i need some therapy.

#354 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

There's still a stigma about it when there shouldn't be. We all have stuff to work out, and sometimes we don't have the right people in our lives to talk to about it.

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I know plenty of people that say some of the craziest stuff that would make people cringe or if said online would start some social justice pile on. But what all the haters dont know or care about is who they actually are as a person or the many incredible things they have done to help people.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” ― J.K. Rowling
    I would amend it to be "how he treats those he sees as his inferiors," but the point stands.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Therapy is great. I've only done a small handful of sessions in my life, but they definitely made me reevaluate some things I wasn't comfortable discussing by myself, let alone to anyone close to me. (And doing mushrooms every couple of years). It was also super helpful when my wife and I first got together and we went through those normal growing pains of cohabiting and bickering about stuff that we know didn't really matter.

Everyone should go to therapy on occasion. It's no different than a periodic visit to a medical doctor, optometrist, or dentist.

#357 4 years ago

I lost respect for Franchi when he called out Bowen on FB over sexist comments. Dude can dish stuff out, but boohoos on other shit...

#358 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

I lost respect for Franchi when he called out Bowen on FB over sexist comments. Dude can dish stuff out, but boohoos on other shit...

Not sure understand your argument. Bowen seems to rub people equally wrong with his social media attacks.

#359 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Not sure understand your argument. Bowen seems to rub people equally wrong with his social media attacks.

Fasle equivalency. Who's Bowen rubbing wrong? Sexual harassers & dudes who wish it was still the 80's so they could be a-holes without consequence? Oh no.

#360 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Fasle equivalency. Who's Bowen rubbing wrong? Sexual harassers & dudes who wish it was still the 80's so they could be a-holes without consequence? Oh no.

I dont know Bowen or Franchi personally. I do hear plenty of people that seem to really dislike both of them based on their online interactions. So I just thought it was a strange comparison. And no, not all of the people that Ive heard say similar things about Bowen that you are about Franchi are 80's neanderthals. You are painting a lot of people with a very broad brush.

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

I dont know Bowen or Franchi personally. I do hear plenty of people that seem to really dislike both of them based on their online interactions. So I just thought it was a strange comparison. And no, not all of the people that Ive heard say similar things about Bowen that you are about Franchi are 80's neanderthals. You are painting a lot of people with a very broad brush.

A lot of "I heard people say" going on here. If you're upset about something Bowen said, bring proof, let's discuss. I've seen his posts where he's been on the correct side of issues, sticking up for people who've been abused and harassed. If someone is upset by that, that tells me more about them than Bowen.

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Bowen got every bit of what he deserved........in fact, I think they went easy on him. There was nothing wrong with that art work and Bowen was way, way, way off base.

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

A lot of "I heard people say" going on here. If you're upset about something Bowen said, bring proof, let's discuss. I've seen his posts where he's been on the correct side of issues, sticking up for people who've been abused and harassed. If someone is upset by that, that tells me more about them than Bowen.

Im not upset about anything Bowen says or does. Its his life to live however he sees fit. Both Bowen and Franchi seem to be vilified by the pinball community to some extent. Just telling you what i have personally heard and seen online. It was just a strange example to me as i see both of them as pinball people that seem to invoke a lot of emotion from people right or wrong.

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Bowen got every bit of what he deserved........in fact, I think they went easy on him. There was nothing wrong with that art work and Bowen was way, way, way off base.

Everything was wrong with Oktoberfest's art. EVERYTHING. Monkey or no monkey, it's just offensive to the human eyeball as truly horrible artwork.

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Everything was wrong with Oktoberfest's art. EVERYTHING. Monkey or no monkey, it's just offensive to the human eyeball as truly horrible artwork.

Haha, couldn't agree more. Gameplay actually looks cool but boy is it hard to look at. A shame because i think it could have done a lot better without a lot more invested into it.

#366 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Bowen made a comment on his friends fb page. It was a picture of a girl holding the face of bride of pinbot over her face. The girls mouth was open (where bops mouth should be) and said something like "anyone got a ball?" It was totally a joke...and funny. Bowen made some comment like "is lance Armstrong available?" And Franchi went off the deep end. None of his business, but decided to police the whole thing.....lame.

#367 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I should have referenced what i was referring to.

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

For American Pinball to pick Franchi up, they would have to admit their art sucks...and I don't see much of a chance of that happening.
    As for the way Franchi handles himself online...I always get this weird incel vibe off a lot of his public comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in the corporate pinball world, that isn't a flag that is smart to fly as one of the faces of your company.

"Incel" seems like one of the hip, new labels to toss at people, and do so securely, and bash away. I just don't like bashing at people in ways that are so vast, versus their specific actions or sense of character. It feels like it's a pretty negating term to brand others with.

Again, I understand things he may state publicly can seem inflammatory or agreeable, but who am I to judge? Opinion, sure! But judge, no. Frankly, we need less judgment in this world.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Absolutely, but as Yeti put it - his problems are of his own making. He needs to recognize that and grow from that experience, or history will continue to repeat. Look, I know I'm being blunt - but I'm talking from experience. I'm an artist who works with a team...it's not just about me. When I was younger, I was a bit more like Franchi...and a few times I did some really stupid shit that made my colleagues and bosses look bad. They probably SHOULD have fired me....thankfully they didn't, and they told me why they were upset and why what I did was wrong. I took that and learned from it, and grew...I didn't resent them or keep doing the same thing again. I learned that lesson in my 20's, and it's done nothing but make my personal and professional life better. Franchi's not too old to learn and grow. I know my blunt posts are a bit caustic, but really I want the best for him - because he is an amazing talent. Just think how much more amazing he'd be if he was a bit more reflective and understood where his bosses & colleagues were coming from?

I'd be curious to see some of your art, if you wouldn't mind sharing, here or via PM. Sadly, the only thing I really enjoyed about the Munsters, was the art....

Regarding the overall discussion, I don't feel I'm qualified to vouch for who needs therapy and who doesn't. I don't know him or anyone on this board that well to broadcast my viewpoint like that, and in this particular discussion, the suggestion of therapy comes off a bit more like judgement than consideration.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, for sure, but as an outsider, I'd state using licensed artwork sans direct permission over and over again, is surely an awful move. Then again, the other side being, and maybe zombieyeti could shed some light here (but obviously he wants to stay in good favor and employed) would be that Chris was selling prints, due to commissions not paying very favorably from Stern, and as a pinball artist in general.

It is what it is, bad professional moves, but possibly very understandable.

Quoted from ThatOneDude:

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” ― J.K. Rowling
    I would amend it to be "how he treats those he sees as his inferiors," but the point stands.

I'll appreciate quotes from Rowling a bit more when she decides to demonize pinball a bit less. Not that I'm a fan of her writing or the film franchises, but as a pinball fan, I can definitely see the license doing more good than harm!

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Bowen made a comment on his friends fb page. It was a picture of a girl holding the face of bride of pinbot over her face. The girls mouth was open (where bops mouth should be) and said something like "anyone got a ball?" It was totally a joke...and funny. Bowen made some comment like "is lance Armstrong available?" And Franchi went off the deep end. None of his business, but decided to police the whole thing.....lame.

I don't think any of us would be very popular...or kind...fellows, if we made a mastectomy joke, especially in October....or ever, really.

We either accept all targets or none. And bad jokes are just bad, easy "jokes". High road that shit.

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I don't think any of us would be very popular...or kind...fellows, if we made a mastectomy joke, especially in October....or ever, really.
    We either accept all targets or none. And bad jokes are just bad, easy "jokes". High road that shit.

True, or we could be like Franchi and make that "The hill to die on." The girl had to step in and defend and explain herself....frustrated Franchi said something....Franchi accused Bowen of being sexist towards women.....or something like that...

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Then again, the other side being, and maybe zombieyeti could shed some light here (but obviously he wants to stay in good favor and employed) would be that Chris was selling prints, due to commissions not paying very favorably from Stern, and as a pinball artist in general.

First off - my intent to comment here wasn’t to pile on Chris. I was bothered greatly by what I heard on the podcast and wanted to add some context to prevent the imaginations going wild on the anti-stern front. So please don’t take my perspective as open season on Chris. Again I like him - he’s amazingly talented and well suited for pinball.

Second - Stern pays well for the usage and creation based on standards I’m accustomed to. I’m certain Chris made more than me based on hourly breakdowns though as he was known to knock things out quickly. I’m envious as unfortunately I’m slow as molasses when it comes to the finish & polish stages... has me rethinking my life choices all the time in fact

Chris also has said he has a day job and pinball was moonlighting for him. So, justification of selling prints is at odds with that as well.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

True, or we could be like Franchi and make that "The hill to die on." The girl had to step in and defend and explain herself....frustrated Franchi said something....Franchi accused Bowen of being sexist towards women.....or something like that...

It all sounds like a stupid waste of people's time on all accounts, frankly. (Not that my own b.s. here isn't as well.) Digital ego driven glove slapping, back and forth.

I fart in all their general digital directions!

giphy (5) (resized).pnggiphy (5) (resized).png
    #373 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

I'd be curious to see some of your art,

Watch Family Guy. Not all artists draw pictures.

#374 4 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I literally draw all day long...but it's in the context of drawing out thousands of storyboard panels, sketching things for artists and designers, etc..mostly quick & loose drawings for animation use. I don't paint highly detailed "gallery quality" pieces of art like Yeti & Franchi.

#375 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It wasn’t about the Monkey.

#376 4 years ago
    Quoted from zombieyeti:

First off - my intent to comment here wasn’t to pile on Chris. I was bothered greatly by what I heard on the podcast and wanted to add some context to prevent the imaginations going wild on the anti-stern front. So please don’t take my perspective as open season on Chris. Again I like him - he’s amazingly talented and well suited for pinball.
    Second - Stern pays well for the usage and creation based on standards I’m accustomed to. I’m certain Chris made more than me based on hourly breakdowns though as he was known to knock things out quickly. I’m envious as unfortunately I’m slow as molasses when it comes to the finish & polish stages... has me rethinking my life choices all the time in fact
    Chris also has said he has a day job and pinball was moonlighting for him. So, justification of selling prints is at odds with that as well.

It's just got to be a complex work situation, like any are really, just this is public and at the center of an interest based forum.

I'd have to imagine you two had/have a nice rapport, and that none of this is how either of you wished for dynamics to split, regarding Stern.

Keeping things in check, in a passion, ego based career like artwork, has to be as much a challenge some days, as the work itself. So I do empathize with the struggle we've been discussing, on all fronts. How vocal can one be, about their personal creative labors, while maintaining both personal and private professionalism?

Thanks for your thoughts and insights, it is appreciated.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

There are many facets to art, that is for sure! I was just using the word in a generalized sense. Dude could be a beat poet on the site too!

Quoted from Rarehero:

I literally draw all day long...but it's in the context of drawing out thousands of storyboard panels, sketching things for artists and designers, etc..mostly quick & loose drawings for animation use. I don't paint highly detailed "gallery quality" pieces of art like Yeti & Franchi.

Are you a lefty? How long has it been since you traded in paper for a tablet, storyboard wise? Do you use Wacom or a different brand?

#377 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Are you a lefty? How long has it been since you traded in paper for a tablet, storyboard wise? Do you use Wacom or a different brand?

Yes, I'm a lefty! (Political joke post in 3, 2, ....)

I think we went digital in 2008...we use Wacom Cintiq. I can't draw on a tablet for shit, but Cintiqs are fun!

#378 4 years ago

Just got to add that I love what ZY and Franchi have brought to pinball. There are a ton of great artists but no one can deny that stern has dramatically improved there srt packages in the last few years and ZY and Franchi played huge roles in that. Much respect.

#379 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wanna trade? Just for a day! I miss working loose.

Seriously though - I used to do both story boarding for advertising and I still dabble in some traditional 2d animation within that realm on occasion.

Work is work - clean or otherwise - it’s all equal in my book. And time based planning is the most important part of animation for my money.

#380 4 years ago

This has been a fascinating read. I only briefly talked to Franchi when I bought a Wonder Woman print from him and it was/is amazing. I really regret not buying the Bat Girl print that he had. I do hope to see him at another pinball expo... How things are sounding on this board that might be unlikely. Its a shame, because he does amazing work. Lots of artists can draw realistic like him, but not many can capture the energy and essence of their characters like how he did. In a way he reminds me a bit of Boris Vallejo, except he doesn't focus on the muscle and sinew as much as Boris did. But, he has that air of gobsmacking amazement about his art.

I run my own very small potatoes indie comic business. Worked with so many talented artists, but his work is beyond what I could ever hope to contract out to. I only bring the former up however, because a lot of artists nowadays do have clauses in their contracts about them selling original works and prints. Yes, you're contracted out, but generally the artists can own their originals. There is a reason Alex Ross only does covers now. Interior art pays less, and takes too much time. He makes more doing 4 covers a month then spending a year to make a graphic novel. He also then gets to sell the original paintings of the covers.

And you bet he has in his contract that he also has the rights to sell the prints...
    I'm not going to pretend I know what is in Franchi's contract. But, Stern is a big business. I know I tell the artists that work with me, what they can sell, what they can use, and what creative rights they have on our projects. I'm bit looser than Stern, because again its peanuts and no one is getting rich.
    But, for a business like Stern, you can bet its spelled out what assets he can use to advertise, to sell, and all that jazz.

As people have posted above. No one is perfect. People do make mistakes. Sometimes you think you are in the right, or the hero of your story, and then one day you realize you were wrong/the villain, the jerk. I hope he and Stern can make amends. And continue their relationship. You don't always have to be friends to do business. But, you do have to respect each other. Some artists I work with I butted heads constantly. But, if it made for a better comic, that was fine. The problem is when they stop listening and go rogue and do what they want. Most of the time then the desired output is garbage and unusable. The only solution is to part ways.

#381 4 years ago

I've stumbled into the life advice thread. Can i get some help on how to run my life and conduct myself too

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I've stumbled into the life advice thread. Can i get some help on how to run my life and conduct myself too

Drink canned beer whenever possible and you’ll be good to go!

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Drink canned beer whenever possible and you’ll be good to go!

Sound advice TFA!

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Sound advice TFA!

Only if they are 16 oz. None of those little 12oz baby beers.

#385 4 years ago

Also ensure it’s PBR because...Merica!

#386 4 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Haha, couldn't agree more. Gameplay actually looks cool but boy is it hard to look at. A shame because i think it could have done a lot better without a lot more invested into it.

I have Data Easts and a LOTR (the early Sterns were hideous). The APs are light years better. Houdini's side blades are actually really good.

#387 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Show up to more pinball shows. I will show you the way.

#388 4 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Also ensure it’s PBR because...Merica!

https://www.foodandwine.com/beer/pabst-blue-ribbon-higher-abv-non-alcoholic

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/pbr-hard-coffee-where-to-buy

The hard coffee is nice to try for a 4 pack. Wouldn't drink it much past that, but it's surprisingly smooth, and not grossly syrupy sweet.

The PBR Extra is a nice boost over standard PBR.

They have a really lovely building to tour, one of thirteen that existed at one time in their brewing empire years. Now I think Miller brews their stuff via contract. Worth the time, if you're in Milwaukee. I went there this past year for the Wonka unveil, then spent most of my time beer hunting/drinking.

#389 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Never quit, never lie, never apologize.

Zeb Macahan

#390 4 years ago

Sounds like he spoke a bit to open and with of all people KANEDA. I think he just burned the bridge and blew it up.

It's to bad, his art is outstanding.

I would have just asked him other topics.

One burning question I had was, I thought he was going to be hiding hexagons into all art after GoTG, did he?

I thought the coffin handles was a great idea, and why Stern wouldn't put on the LE makes no sense to me. 24$ and probably less bought in bulk, crazy IMO

I guess I would be hoping that he gets to do Scott's next game or his third??

But any other company than Stern will be few and far between, I think he should have listened to George and been ahead in the long run.

How's my art B=====D ( ° ) ( °. )

#391 4 years ago

Whoever hires him next will have to be prepared for someone that will go on podcasts and social media talking about their company. Will they want that?

#393 4 years ago

I thought his stories were really interesting and I applaud him for speaking up. Of course if this was his only income it was a dicey move that took balls but he appears to work at Zynga too.

I think he is very talented.

I also can see both sides of some of his stories so I don't put all the blame on Stern.

He just sounded very logical and in a industry that continues to expand by shills kissing the ass of these companies especially Stern I appreciated his perspective.

#394 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Not necessarily correct side,you meant to say your side,didn’t you?

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I thought the coffin handles was a great idea, and why Stern wouldn't put on the LE makes no sense to me. 24$ and probably less bought in bulk, crazy IMO

I heard the same thing from someone at Stern right after Munsters came out. I agree they would have been a fun add, but they were right....someone would have tried to move the game using those handles and then would have went on a Pinside rant when the cabinet cracked. I would assume they would also have stuck out some and could have caused damaged to other games in the row?

#396 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

I heard the same thing from someone at Stern right after Munsters came out. I agree they would have been a fun add, but they were right....someone would have tried to move the game using those handles and then would have went on a Pinside rant when the cabinet cracked. I would assume they would also have stuck out some and could have caused damaged to other games in the row?

I guess it would depend on if they went out further than the back box does.

But it is a great idea for modders. The handles and maybe a steel plate to reinforce them and charge $300+ or something ridiculous.

#397 4 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

So you're saying the idea was given, bounced around, and ultimately too many red flags appeared to proceed with it? Seems like rational thinking. You'd swear there was some sort of personal vendetta that resulted in LEs losing their coffin handles.

#398 4 years ago

Putting coffin handles on a pinball machine would have been beyond moronic. Pinball people can't be trusted with something like that.

#399 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Putting coffin handles on a pinball machine would have been beyond moronic. Pinball people can't be trusted with something like that.

Plus the liability....

#400 4 years ago
    Quoted from Stones:

Plus the liability....

Every time I touch one of the games on location with the fancy cut out lock bar button plate I think law suit. The f in thing is razor sharp. Any little kid with sold skin looking to get a nice razor cut.

Coffin handles would have only been for the low volume collector edition, so it shouldn't have been a worry. And putting handles on side of cabinet causing structural issue?? What kind of cabinet are we talking about.

I guess I am thinking of the amp speaker handles that are recessed.

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-/page/8?hl=davijc02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.