Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
    #251 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Whatever dude. It’s trace amounts. Do you drink bottled water? Eat any canned food? Eat in restaurants? If drinking beer out of a can is riskier than daily living in the corporate controlled USA, than so be it. I’d drink beer out of a can before I’d argue climate change isn’t real. Do what you gotta do.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/26/283030949/government-studies-suggest-bpa-exposure-from-food-isn-t-risky

You talk about "corporate controlled USA" and then you proceed to cite a study that same government did to prove your point?

#252 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Then he gives Kaneda shit for poor ethics.

On the topic of Munsters leaks and ethics....who at Stern leaked them in the first place? If it was Franchi, the ethical quandary is on HIM. Once those pictures have been leaked, anyone who doesn't work at Stern isn't ethically bound at all.

#253 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinLen83:

Trudeau's actions didn't deter my love for GB either.
    The machine did nothing wrong, it's creator did

both.gifboth.gif
    #254 4 years ago

After reading this thread I have a new license for Stern, it's gonna be a huge hit with this crowd

11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg

#255 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

After reading this thread I have a new license for Stern, it's gonna be a huge hit with this crowd
    [quoted image]

More like:

D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpegD86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    #256 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm sure we'll get a rebuttal from Kaneda on Franchi's take on all of this

Only matters if you actually listen to him.

#257 4 years ago

I’m sorry, I have been too busy playing pinball lately to give a shit... but I got to be careful or someone will say I stare at balls too long and often... or how ever else other people will twist your words to match their take on reality.

#258 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I hope his health situation improves! Interesting that Franchi said he had reached out to other pinball companies to look for work.

Be careful... once you work from a competitor, Stern will not have you back.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#259 4 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

Be careful... once you work from a competitor, Stern will not have you back.

They literally are this petty, it's true.

#260 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

I hope his health situation improves! Interesting that Franchi said he had reached out to other pinball companies to look for work.

When you freelance, that’s how it works. Sometime the faucet is on and work from one source flows in... sometimes you gotta look for alternative faucets.

As someone that has freelanced, I can tell you it can be an exhausting process. Work can come in crazy amounts (to the point that you’re working 7 days a week) and then just stop. So, even when busy, you have to continually mine for work. His situation might be more stable. But it sounds like he went from 100 mph to 0.

One thing I’ll disagree with Franchi on is public proclamations. Obviously he can say and do anything he wants... but to think that folks running a business won’t take notice - or perhaps choose not to link their business with that cart - is foolish. Perhaps that’s not quite the case with artists. With pinball, only a small percentage of a very small group know or even care to know micro-facts about an artist. So, Stern May in fact not care. But, I still wouldn’t do it.

#261 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

When you freelance, that’s how it works.

100%, that's the life. Feast or famine.

Quoted from 27dnast:

One thing I’ll disagree with Franchi on is public proclamations. Obviously he can say and do anything he wants... but to think that folks running a business won’t take notice - or perhaps choose not to link their business with that cart - is foolish

Agreed with this too. I talk a lot of shit about pinball, but that's because it's my hobby and talking shit is part of the fun. It probably costs me sometimes in selling a mod or something, but I don't care, that's just side stuff to bring something to the hobby. Alien was a total fluke, not something I was seeking.

If I was actually trying to make pinball my 'job'? I'd be a lot quieter, rock the boat less, make fewer waves. That's just smart. Don't make your hobby your career, it sucks the fun out.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Don't make your hobby your career, it sucks the fun out.

Also, have a hobby. Career as your hobby people are miserable.

#263 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Hate to interrupt all of this beer talk, but the Slap Save podcast with Franchi is up now.
    https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-23-endgame/

Complaining about hard floors while waiting in line for a pinball machine, who does that?
    Not Gellin.

d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.pngd5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png

#264 4 years ago

This is great. Hopefully more people working at/for Stern will wake up and speak their minds. Or hobbiests will wake up and not keep throwing money at games sight unseen. And Stern may finally realize that what they are charging, and offering the customer isn't good enough.

As a customer I demand more for my $$. And all current Stern's are not even worth looking at purchasing.

The only issues I have with Stern's current pinball philosophy.
    Prices don't reflect the overall quality, or components in games being produced.
    And no game feels like a well thought out plan with great or fun theme integration. None feel like a world under glass I want to experience.

Cut, paste, repeat. And each time Build them cheaper and cheaper. I understand this allows them to keep making games.
    But enough is enough with this garbage.
    In my eyes anyway.

But, that's just like, my opinion man.

#265 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

This is great. Hopefully more people working at/for Stern will wake up and speak their minds. And Stern may finally realize that what they are charging, and offering the customer isn't good enough.
    As a customer I demand more for my $$. And all current Stern's after ST are not even worth looking at purchasing.
    The only issues I have with Stern's current pinball philosophy.
    Prices don't reflect the overall quality, or components in games being produced.
    And no game feels like a well thought out plan with great or fun theme integration. None feel like a world under glass I want to experience.
    Cut, paste, repeat. And each time Build them cheaper and cheaper. I understand this allows them to keep making games.
    In my eyes anyway.

Should be a price increase on next title I presume.

#266 4 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

In my eyes anyway.

I just wish Stern would stop with the pro, premium crap. Stop taking away game features from the pro. I can understand removing armor, artwork or toys, but just wish the games all played the same. Removing upper and lower playfields is rotten. I’m pretty sure the designers shoot for Premium and are persuaded into de-contenting for the pro. Heck, I don’t even mind plastic ramps as long if I can upgrade to metal ramps later if I choose. The difference between the pro and prem should be the same as the prem and LE. Cosmetic and mod differences only. JJP and CGC get it.

#267 4 years ago
    Quoted from cletus:

I just wish Stern would stop with the pro, premium crap. Stop taking away game features from the pro. I can understand removing armor, art work or toys, but with the games all played the same. Removing upper and lower playfields is rotten. I’m pretty sure the designers shoot for Premium and are persuaded into de-contenting for the pro. Heck I don’t even mind plastic ramps as long as I can upgrade to metal ramps later if I choose. The difference between the pro and prem should be the same as the prem and LE. Cosmetic and mod differences only. JJP and CGC get it.

And this is why I might get two cgc games when I get back into owning a few games. People keep telling me well you don’t want a cgc game because the code, well at least it’s finished code and packed with toys, physical ball locks.....

#268 4 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Complaining about hard floors while waiting in line for a pinball machine, who does that?
    Not Gellin.
    [quoted image]

I've worked decades on my feet, flat clown feet at that, and it's awful, but I definitely wouldn't complain about something like that or moaning about someone having an obnoxiously good game.

Maybe he should just bring a fold up chair with him everywhere.

For me, losing weight would help oh so much. Joint pressure is amplified by fattitude.

#269 4 years ago

At this point, you better be very happy with the code level of a game before you buy. Stern is proving every month that you may very well wait years until they decide to actually finish a game.

#270 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

And this is why I might get two cgc games when I get back into owning a few games. People keep telling me well you don’t want a cgc game because the code, well at least it’s finished code and packed with toys, physical ball locks.....

Do any of CGCs games even have a physical ball lock??

#271 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Do any of CGCs games even have a physical ball lock?

Nope.

#272 4 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

People keep telling me well you don’t want a cgc game because the code,

Those are weird people. Williams games have excellent rules/code matched perfectly with great designs and features. Perfect amount of depth & fun any pinball machine would need. There's a reason MM, AFM, and MB were 10k-20k games & warranted remake demand...they are pinball perfection. The thought that all pinball machines need math/chess or massive depth to be fun or worth owning is a myth. I love LOTR....deep game. I love IM...not so deep game. They're both absolutely perfect at what they try to accomplish AS GAMES. That's what makes a good game. Rules/gameplay/theme all work together in harmony.

#273 4 years ago

When they remake TOTAN there will be. Lol.

#274 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I love the internet.

His entire history is full of stupid statements. Don't have to go far on the internet.

A few weeks ago it was mushrooms, now it's beer cans...I'm pretty sure he's trolling, and poorly at that.

#275 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

all pinball machines need math

Spectrum is triggered.

#276 4 years ago
    Quoted from cletus:

I just wish Stern would stop with the pro, premium crap. Stop taking away game features from the pro. I can understand removing armor, artwork or toys, but just wish the games all played the same. Removing upper and lower playfields is rotten. I’m pretty sure the designers shoot for Premium and are persuaded into de-contenting for the pro. Heck, I don’t even mind plastic ramps as long if I can upgrade to metal ramps later if I choose. The difference between the pro and prem should be the same as the prem and LE. Cosmetic and mod differences only. JJP and CGC get it.

Except JJP is now going down the same route with the entry level Wonka not having the Wonkavator ball lock.

#277 4 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

His entire history is full of stupid statements. Don't have to go far on the internet.
    A few weeks ago it was mushrooms, now it's beer cans...I'm pretty sure he's trolling, and poorly at that.

Why so serious?

#278 4 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Not Gellin.
    [quoted image]

Franchi does that! Duuuuude. My feet were barking! I already have feet and knee issue from 30 years of hockey, but standing in place on a cement floor for 40 minutes was rough on the old dogs. If this isn't an issue for you, bless you. You're a lucky man!

#279 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

When you freelance, that’s how it works. Sometime the faucet is on and work from one source flows in... sometimes you gotta look for alternative faucets.
    As someone that has freelanced, I can tell you it can be an exhausting process. Work can come in crazy amounts (to the point that you’re working 7 days a week) and then just stop. So, even when busy, you have to continually mine for work. His situation might be more stable. But it sounds like he went from 100 mph to 0.
    One thing I’ll disagree with Franchi on is public proclamations. Obviously he can say and do anything he wants... but to think that folks running a business won’t take notice - or perhaps choose not to link their business with that cart - is foolish. Perhaps that’s not quite the case with artists. With pinball, only a small percentage of a very small group know or even care to know micro-facts about an artist. So, Stern May in fact not care. But, I still wouldn’t do it.

I don't say anything against my employer, nor do I share company secrets or discuss private conversations. for example, many assumed when I quoted George Gomez about the Beetlejuice game, I was sharing a personal conversation we had. Not so. It was a public comment George made to someone who commented on my facebook post. When the comments got out of hand, I deleted the original post and re-posted it with a disclaimer, but didn't want to lose George's comment, so I copied and pasted it in hopes it would fend off any more negative statements.

As far as being outspoken, it can be a curse but at it's root, its a personality trait. For better or worse. But I control it. It doesn't control me. I'd never say anything to harm my relationship with Stern.

I hope this clears things up.

#280 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgonzola:

I don't understand how photorealistic painting of movie art is any better than photoshopping movie studio assets when it comes to a pinball playfield.
    Does it require an amazing amount of artistic talent? Yes, absolutely.
    Does it make for interesting pinball art? No, not at all.
    Brian Allen's work posted in this thread is far better suited to pinball.

I'm pretty sure I bring more to the table then just photo realistic art. You have to consider concept, layout and design, colors, make choices on what to include and what to leave out. The playfield is especially difficult because you have to marry exciting art with game play. Make sure the game is understood while still giving the open areas dramatic flair. Then you have to stay within the guidelines of the licensor and their wishes. Doing pinball art is FAR more then just knowing how to draw. Also, as much as I love Jeremy's work, if you had 5 Jeremy's working at Stern, you'd bitch that there was no variety and everything looked the same. With that in mind, wouldn't it be interesting to have 3 different artist on one title? Each picks a tier and off you go. You could buy the Franchi Pro, Zombie Yeti Premium or Greg Freres LE. Interesting.

#281 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metaluna5:

As far as being outspoken, it can be a curse but at it's root, its a personality trait

Ain't that the truth though?

#282 4 years ago
    Quoted from Metaluna5:

You could buy the Franchi Pro, Zombie Yeti Premium or Greg Freres LE. Interesting.

Love this idea! but how about we put Freres on the Pro? I can afford a pro...

#283 4 years ago

Strange that the podcaster who started this whole kerfuffle hasn't spoken one word of this on follow up shows.

#284 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Strange that the podcaster who started this whole kerfuffle hasn't spoken one word of this on follow up shows.

He’s running out of real estate on his ass for all of those false rumor tattoos. #firstworldproblems

#285 4 years ago

The thread topic asked the question “is Franchi out?” Well his most recent projects have gone a different direction and he doesn’t currently have line of sight to a project at stern. Waiting on a call. That’s not “in”....

#286 4 years ago

Wow. Slap Save Podcast posted this on FB.

03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    #287 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I guess we can assume that game is dead as a potential theme then? (That movie as a license at least. The comic or another Superman film is still possible I suppose)

#288 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

No flipper buttons again. This has to be REALLY old because it looks like a DMD cab that was kinda made spike-ish after the fact since the proportions on the speakers/LCD to translite are more like SAM machines.

Also weird they'd base a pin on the first Superman when Superman II was the best one. Why not just do Superman and cover at least 1 & 2 if you want to forget about 3 and especially 4?

I do like the "bright" era of DC so much better.

#289 4 years ago

Colors are amazing combinations done by Chris. Primary colors really pop quite well! What a great pinball artist. Does presented to Stern as boutique games mean done in joint venture with Kapow?

#290 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

No flipper buttons again. This has to be REALLY old because it
    looks like a DMD cab that was kinda made spike-ish after the
    fact since the proportions on the speakers/LCD to translite are more like SAM machines.
    Also weird they'd base a pin on the first Superman when Superman II was the best one. Why not just do Superman and cover at least 1 & 2 if you want to forget about 3 and especially 4? I do like the "bright" era of DC so much better.

White traces for buttons and bolts are there. Just a draft. And
    get out with this Superman II stuff. One movie is more than enough
    content and makes a nice story to follow.

#291 4 years ago

Franchi speaks truth.

#292 4 years ago

I'm bummed. Franchi's art would have been perfect for this title (I dig the art shown), and it seems like it would have made a great game. Oh well.

#293 4 years ago

At least they worked Gary into the backglass.

(Yes, yes, I know it’s MB ... and I don’t mean Monster Bash.)

#294 4 years ago

Does anyone actually think these artist make money doing pinball art? I personally know an artist that has worked on two Sterns and he mentioned that it’s not even worth his time. It’s a tremendous amount of work with very little upside. Most of them are freelance and make their living in other ventures. The fact that this dude slammed Stern is not surprising. He probably invested a ton of time and ended up with absolutely nothing to show for it. How happy would any of you be investing weeks or months in a project with zero payout?

#295 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Does anyone actually think these artist make money doing pinball
    art? I personally know an artist that has worked on two Sterns and
    he mentioned that it’s not even worth his time. It’s a tremendous
    amount of work with very little upside. Most of them are freelance
    and make their living in other ventures. The fact that this dude
    slammed Stern is not surprising. He probably invested a ton of time
    and ended up with absolutely nothing to show for it. How happy
    would any of you be investing weeks or months in a project with
    zero payout?

pretty spot on.

I was told a similar story by one of their artists. They are asked to do tons of concept mock ups like the above and many (obviously) never go anywhere so they dont get paid for them. I was told it is a passion project and that often it is with the hope of getting your art out there more and also cool to have your art on a pinball machine. Most of them wont even get paid a fraction of what it would cost to purchase an actual game.

I can totally understand why they may be pissed when project after project which they did art for gets rejected because the license is not selected.

Keep in mind this was a similar stance that Stever R had when things were not as glorious in the past.

#296 4 years ago

I wonder if Stern is giving Franchi the cold shoulder due to his now obvious leaking of material to Kaneda over the last year or so. It is well known that Stern detests the k-man. Franchi came out recently and said he gave K info (Munsters PF leak) in confidence, which he then published a couple weeks later. This nearly cost Franchi his pinball career at the time. Think about it...K has been pumping the Superman 78 thing for a while, as well as the potential Batman 66 reskin. It is starting to make a lot of sense now.

#297 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

Does anyone actually think these artist make money doing pinball
    art?

Probably a good way to "build the brand", ie get their name out there.

Lots of this stuff is probably done on speculation, no contract - just seems like a good idea

#298 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Lots of this stuff is probably done on speculation, no contract - just seems like a good idea

...a la Beetlejuice.

#299 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I was told it is a passion project and that often it is with the hope of getting your art out there more and also cool to have your art on a pinball machine.

kinda like aurich taking on the alien art package pro bono knowing that any remuneration would be based on future sales of the game.

#300 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I wonder if Stern is giving Franchi the cold shoulder due to his
    now obvious leaking of material to Kaneda over the last year or so.
    It is well known that Stern detests the k-man. Franchi came out
    recently and said he gave K info (Munsters PF leak) in confidence,
    which he then published a couple weeks later. This nearly cost
    Franchi his pinball career at the time. Think about it...K has been
    pumping the Superman 78 thing for a while, as well as the potential
    Batman 66 reskin. It is starting to make a lot of sense now.

Then he got what he deserved. He made 2 mistakes. 1. He leaked confidential information, 2. He leaked it to Special K. If he actually thought that human slug could be trusted, well that is 3 mistakes. Hopefully pinball art was a passion and not paying the bills.

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-/page/6?hl=kronlar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.