Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
    #201 4 years ago

Cans today, cans tomorrow, cans forever. Keeps the beer fresher. Less fragile. Also cheaper to can than bottle, savings that are somewhat passed to the consumer. Can recycle a can forever. It’s also just way more freaking cool and macho to drink ice cold beer out of a can.

If you want to drink beer out of a glass pour it in one.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Cans today, cans tomorrow, cans forever. Keeps the beer fresher. Less fragile. Also cheaper to can than bottle, savings that are somewhat passed to the consumer. Can recycle a can forever. It’s also just way more freaking cool and macho to drink ice cold beer out of a can.

I’m a believer in Tall Cans (Crowlers) and Bottles all day. CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpegCD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg

#203 4 years ago

Visited the New Glarus spotted cow plant. Asked why they started offering cans. Owner said only 3 plants left in US that make bottles. So he was future proofing.

#204 4 years ago

Nope. Pouring it into a glass just doesn't cut it. Unless of course its draft/draught beer tapped into a frosted mug. Besides, What would bar fights be without bottled beer?

#205 4 years ago

Might as well put your beer in a plastic bag. Do you drink boxed wine, too? ALL beer cans I know of are lined, so you're not drinking out of a can, you're essentially drinking out of a plastic bag. Glass is not lined and does not affect the taste of the beer. Since beer is relatively acidic, it has been proven to degrade the liners more, meaning the BPA liners in cans DO make a difference in the taste, whether you're sensitive to it or not. And that chemical leaching can enlarge prostates and boobies in males. I don't know any dude that wants bigger either of those. Glass, FTW, by a landslide.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/15869/bisphenol-pale-ale-should-you-be-worried-about-the-bpa-in-your-beer-can/

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

leaching can enlarge prostates and boobies in males. I don't know any dudes that wants bigger either of those.

Very true, but I do like enlarged boobies in my hands

#207 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Might as well put your beer in a plastic bag. Do you drink boxed wine, too? ALL beer cans I know of are lined, so you're not drinking out of a can, you're essentially drinking out of a plastic bag. Glass is not lined and does not affect the taste of the beer. Since beer is relatively acidic, it has been proven to degrade the liners more, meaning the BPA liners in cans DO make a difference in the taste, whether you're sensitive to it or not. And that chemical leaching can enlarge prostates and boobies in males. I don't know any dudes that wants bigger either of those. Glass, FTW, by a landslide.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/articles/15869/bisphenol-pale-ale-should-you-be-worried-about-the-bpa-in-your-beer-can/

This article says BPA liners are not used anymore
    https://thetakeout.com/does-beer-taste-better-from-a-can-or-bottle-1824294844

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Might as well put your beer in a plastic bag. Do you drink boxed wine, too? ALL beer cans I know of are lined, so you're not drinking out of a can, you're essentially drinking out of a plastic bag. Glass is not lined and does not affect the taste of the beer. Since beer is relatively acidic, it has been proven to degrade the liners more, meaning the BPA liners in cans DO make a difference in the taste, whether you're sensitive to it or not. And that chemical leaching can enlarge prostates and boobies in males. I don't know any dudes that wants bigger either of those. Glass, FTW, by a landslide.

Agree - bottle cost more but produces a more clean product. Cans are for convenience (won't break as easy) but the taste will suffer.

#209 4 years ago

It's an industry fakeout. Don't fall for it. BPA-NI is still a plastic liner. The "NI" means they don't "intend" for it to have BPA but it still legally CAN leech BPA into the beer. And regardless, it's still a plastic liner that affects taste. The only way to get past that is to remove the liner entirely, but then you have aluminum leeching into the beer, and you can DEFINITELY taste that.

So, if you love beer, still glass FTW.

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

Agree - bottle cost more but produces a more clean product. Cans are for convenience (won't break as easy) but the taste will suffer.

Yep. Boxed wine model. If you only care about having something to drink and getting your buzz on, boxed wine in plastic bags is "good enough" for most old people with tired/broken taste buds that can't tell a difference anyway.

#211 4 years ago

The problem with alcohol is not the cans or bottles debate but when people drink it, and post in this thread.

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

The problem with alcohol is not the cans or bottles debate but when people drink it, and post in this thread.

The secret is to write lots of incredibly long rambling posts when you're sober, and then no one can figure out when you're posting under the influence.

#213 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

It's an industry fakeout. Don't fall for it. BPA-NI is still a plastic liner. The "NI" means they don't "intend" for it to have BPA but it still legally CAN leech BPA into the beer. And regardless, it's still a plastic liner that affects taste. The only way to get past that is to remove the liner entirely, but then you have aluminum leeching into the beer, and you can DEFINITELY taste that.

Whatever dude. It’s trace amounts. Do you drink bottled water? Eat any canned food? Eat in restaurants? If drinking beer out of a can is riskier than daily living in the corporate controlled USA, than so be it. I’d drink beer out of a can before I’d argue climate change isn’t real. Do what you gotta do.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/26/283030949/government-studies-suggest-bpa-exposure-from-food-isn-t-risky

#214 4 years ago

Whatever dude. It’s trace amounts. Do you drink bottled water? Eat any canned food? Eat in restaurants? If drinking beer out of a can is riskier than daily living in the corporate controlled USA, than so be it. I’d drink beer out of a can before I’d argue climate change isn’t real. Do what you gotta do.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/02/26/283030949/government-studies-suggest-bpa-exposure-from-food-isn-t-risky

The POINT of this is that the cans DO change the taste of the beer, and that's because of the plastic (epoxy, actually) BPA liners breaking down into the beer due to its relative acidity. Some people are more sensitive to that subtle taste shift than others, but it's defeinitely a thing.

And that NPR link referring to "government studies" is talking about US studies. Japan did extensive studies and concluded that it is a thing, it is harmful, and they changed the legal limits to reduce BPA exposure. Europe also reduced the BPA limit to a temporary safe level years ago that will be revisited and made permanent at the existing lower level or even lower in 2020.

I mean, sheesh, I'm not saying this is what pushed Franchi out of Stern, but maybe it was? ( <---back on topic)

#215 4 years ago

If you drink enough to worry about the health effects of BPA, you got bigger issues to worry about.

I say this as a person who drinks beer, but also married a doctor who will regularly point out how bad alcohol is for me regardless of the container it was served in. (At least she loves pinball!)

#216 4 years ago

Happy to report Franchi was spotted this weekend galavanting around the VFW show laughing at all of you.

#217 4 years ago

Coke in a bottle tastes better than coke in a can. Beer in a bottle tastes better than beer in a can. This is objectively true. There have been many studies done to prove that the human tastebud can discernably tell the difference and prefers the flavor of liquids stored in glass vs plastics or metals. Those that prefer alcohol in cans usually go through life fat, drunk, and stupid for the most part.

No offense to those couple of people here that prefer cans. But even if you're a tax lawyer, that doesn't mean you're too bright. For example, I once heard a lawyer say the recent tax cuts benefit all his clients, Now as an ex accountant, I can't imagine a fellow accountant having such a short sighted view. Any accountant with half a brain can see how damaging the tax changes will be long term to most of the population and the u.s. as a whole.

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Happy to report Franchi was spotted this weekend galavanting around the VFW show laughing at all of you.

Yes..but was he drinking beer out of a can or a bottle?

#219 4 years ago

Bullshit. Beer in cans tastes as good or better than bottle. Cite the studies - with links! - that say otherwise! Most likely conducted by non beer drinkers.

Come to my house. I’ll pour you beer all night long, and if you can tell the difference between can and bottled I’ll give you a cookie. If you claim here and now you can tell the difference you’re full shit.

Put your money where your mouth is. Come drink beer with me. You can’t lose!

#220 4 years ago

Bullshit. Beer in cans tastes as good or better than bottle. Cite the studies - with links! - that say otherwise! Most likely conducted by non beer drinkers.
    Come to my house. I’ll pour you beer all night long, and if you can tell the difference between can and bottled I’ll give you a cookie. If you claim here and now you can tell the difference you’re full shit.

Bullshit. If you think beer in a can is better, then your brain is clearly defective. I'm so sorry for your loss.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Those that prefer alcohol in cans usually go through life fat, drunk, and stupid for the most part.

No offense to those couple of people here that prefer cans.

I love the internet.

#223 4 years ago

Well, I've seen a new pinside icon today. I've never seen a thread eject icon. I've seen moderation notices, but never the little eject icon, so I hovered and learned something. This thread has become unexpectedly educational.

#224 4 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If you drink enough to worry about the health effects of BPA, you got bigger issues to worry about.
    I say this as a person who drinks beer, but also married a doctor who will regularly point out how bad alcohol is for me regardless of the container it was served in. (At least she loves pinball!)

Again, the main point is it's about the TASTE. The BPA leeching from the liner is just likely the reason why canned beer tastes inferior to the same beer from bottles.

#225 4 years ago

lets get back to pinball ...

what does a NIB, delivered in a cardboard box over a year late taste like ?

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

lets get back to pinball ...
    what does a NIB, delivered in a cardboard box over a year late taste like ?

Is this a tease for Franchi's taste test on the podcast tomorrow? Well played.

#227 4 years ago

While we are at it, side note regarding bottle beers and the color of the glass.

http://berghoffbeer.com/blog/what-does-the-color-of-your-beer-bottle-mean/

“Why Glass Bottles?
    Brewers experimented with glass bottles for beer as early as the 16th century, though evidence of commercial bottling doesn’t arrive until the second half of the 17th century. The biggest trouble being that glass made for bottling wasn’t strong enough to hold the CO2 pressure. However, a hundred years or so of innovation helped brewers realize the effectiveness of the long neck bottle.
    Different Bottle Shapes
    These days, beer comes in a variety of bottle shapes, long neck being the most popular; there are also stubbies, growlers, forties, and more. Of course, glass is stronger these days so the shape of the bottle can differ without serious consequences. Though bottles have been around since the mid 17th century, the production and demand for glass bottles didn’t rise until after the First World War.
    So Why Different Colors?
    Brewers started to use glass because it kept beer fresher, longer. However, there was one serious issue, if the beer was left in the sun too long, brewers found the beer would smell and taste skunky. Literally, it smelled just how a skunk smells. Scientists discovered that Ultra Violet rays from the sun break down the alpha acids in hops which then react with the sulfur present in beer to form a chemical that is almost identical to the chemical that skunks use to spray predators. Those damn UV rays. The solution was to tint the beer bottle to protect it from UV rays. Similar to how sunglasses help protect your eyesight; the dark brown beer bottle helps protect the beer from going bad. Why the green beer bottle then? Green beer bottles offer very little protection from the sunlight. Though, slightly more than a clear bottle, it does not help protect from UV as much as one might want. However, the story behind green bottles is kind of awesome.
    The Green Bottle Story
    Around World War II, brown glass rose in demand and many companies had to forfeit their brown glass for their country. Unfortunately that meant companies with higher quality beers had to use clear glass, which made their beers look like cheaper, clear glass beers. Higher quality brewers’ solution was to sell their beer in green bottles so a consumer could tell the difference between a regular beer and a higher quality. The green beer bottle became a status symbol for many European breweries. These days, there’s not much of a reason to sell a beer in a green bottle other than for marketing and aesthetic. Many companies use it to distinguish their beer from others. Of course, some beers have used green bottles for so long, it would seem silly to switch to a brown glass now. Lucky for us, glass suppliers are able to apply clear, UV protected coats to glass that help keep beer fresh no matter what kind of bottle it is in. However, the best advice for any beer drinker is to keep your bottles in a cool, dark storage container that will keep the beer fresh.”

#228 4 years ago

Let me just set the record straight so we can get back on topic.

ALL beer tastes like rancid cat piss.

#229 4 years ago

I only drink for the effect.

#230 4 years ago

Thread summary

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Let me just set the record straight so we can get back on topic.

I'd take the piss over the beer !!!!! Plus if you can drink enough beer to get drunk you're a pussy.man up with some tequila ladies.......

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

And make sure your pets have stainless steel bowels to eat from.

#233 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

And make sure your pets have stainless steel bowels to eat from.

Where exactly does one acquire a stainless steel bowel? This could come in handy next time I eat at Taco Bell,or the next time I decide to tempt fate at the norovirus chocolate fountain at the Japanese buffet.

#234 4 years ago

Hate to interrupt all of this beer talk, but the Slap Save podcast with Franchi is up now.

https://slapsave.podbean.com/e/ep-23-endgame/

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Where exactly does one acquire a stainless steel bowel? This could come in handy next time I eat at Taco Bell,or the next time I decide to tempt fate at the norovirus chocolate fountain at the Japanese buffet.

Just looked, Petco.com. Chewy.com. I am sure Amazon as well.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Just looked, Petco.com. Chewy.com. I am sure Amazon as well.

All I see are bowls... No bowels unfortunately.

#237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re crazy. Only really good IPAs taste like cat piss.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

All I see are bowls... No bowels unfortunately.

Ha ha , I just caught my mistake!

#239 4 years ago

You're taking this waaaaay too seriously. Drink what you like and dont worry if there happens to be a few of us that prefer bottles.
    Bottles >cans

#240 4 years ago

fridge (resized).jpegfridge (resized).jpeg
    #241 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Ha ha , I just caught my mistake!

Haha it's all good...Monday hangover is in full effect!

#242 4 years ago

Looks like a bunch of drain pours to me...

#243 4 years ago

I feel really bad about my part in this whole 'Franchi and his Stern' status thing. I really like Chris' chalupas and feel bad for stoking a non existent fire.

I had no idea when asking for a confirmation about a rumour that the thread would blow up the way it did...

Any way, to help clear up my mess, here is Chris's official response at 22:00 from the latest Slap Save podcast https://slapsave.podbean.com/

In short: He addresses the Beetlejuice art post. As for his Stern' Status. He was working on a project, Stern went a different art direction on that project. The current round of projects are spoken for and the next round of projects are still further out. So Chris is waiting for another project and since he's contract there aren't guarantees or timelines. If Stern calls he's there. Since Chris likes being busy and doesn't like sitting around he'll be doing other art projects outside pinball machine art. Then he gives Kaneda shit for poor ethics.

#244 4 years ago

Dont forget the part where he cried about someone was to good at Willy Wonka and he had to wait in line like the rest of us shitbags

#245 4 years ago

And I would say poor ethics would be posting about an autograph signing then not bothering to show up

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Crazy people

I LOVE my GBLE

Trudeau's actions didn't deter my love for GB either.

The machine did nothing wrong, it's creator did.

Franchi's words did not make me like or dislike his artwork any more or less. I'm able to separate a mans work from his personal actions. I hate a lot of actors politically, but not in a million years do I deny their talent.

Hope Franchi finds a home that'll put up with his antics. Regardless of his personal beliefs, he needs to learn how to curb his actions and bite his tongue in a professional environment.

#247 4 years ago

I listened to the podcast. I understand it's Franchi's livelihood so it's important to him, but Gomez is such a busy guy, I hope Gomez stays above it. Employee drama whatever the reason or explanation is considered non-constructive and draining that's the issue. I hope they've moved on. Most of us would love to have jobs like they have and I understand the daily grind, especially for Gomez. I mainly posted here as support to all involved and was interested to see if Franchi was doing Brian Eddy's game. Appreciate what's going on at Stern, keep up the good work.

#248 4 years ago

I'm pretty concerned with Franchi talking about how poor his health is and not knowing how much longer he'll be able to do this.

I'm sure we'll get a rebuttal from Kaneda on Franchi's take on all of this, especially how he got Franchi in trouble and almost ruined his career by leaking the Munsters pics. It's been 5 days since he put up a podcast which has to be some sort of record for him.

#249 4 years ago

Shots fired! If what Franchi said is true, any other industry folks sharing insider info with K should certainly take pause.

#250 4 years ago

I hope his health situation improves! Interesting that Franchi said he had reached out to other pinball companies to look for work.

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-/page/5?hl=flashdaddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.