Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 466 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Methos
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

95F9DCD6-A0D4-4A73-A76E-041041D9D52A (resized).jpeg
    45DD7F2E-3C88-4DDB-8416-396D7AC868D7 (resized).jpeg
    6B2C5773-99C3-49F6-BB18-D987C741A006.jpeg
    giphy (5) (resized).png
    Franch.png
    5de8a12df980c086fdcc9588a027a34b (resized).png
    43BA33CC-D487-4E5F-934C-9FECCE409414 (resized).jpeg
    6F5D0CAF-4A4E-4610-97F7-A6304DB32357 (resized).jpeg
    03B14C00-02EB-4C6E-8323-B783486A6949 (resized).jpeg
    d5848f34373491_5605fb1a89eea.png
    D86D9AD2-31D1-49FA-BDF4-42E403ABD57F (resized).jpeg
    11966836_900x1200 (resized).jpg
    both.gif
    fridge (resized).jpeg
    CD3B267A-5A2D-4AA6-BD79-7046A20D2EEC (resized).jpeg
    wwcf (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

Yes, I am aware he works for JJP.. I specifically mean, what HAPPENED to his art.. used to be so good and now is mostly generic and lame.

You should contact him directly and ask.

Here is his LinkedIn page:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-youssi-0a847519

#52 4 years ago

And I will put the name of Mitch O'Connell out there, a local Chicago guy who does some great stuff in various styles.

moc.pngmoc.png
    #53 4 years ago

This may mean nothing but a few days after hearing the Gomez comments a.friend from work said Franchi had given my friends ex band mate a gotg,munsers and beatles playfield for free earlier that week.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

after hearing the Gomez comments

what were the gomez comments?

#55 4 years ago

It's mentioned in this.thread but pretty much how Franchise wanted to do Beatlejuice and Gomez didnt

#56 4 years ago

I think stern would be dumb to loose him. But he has no filter and that does not go well with some companies.

#57 4 years ago

Franchi has absolutely no filter, I like that. Unfortunately it’s not “politically correct” and not fitting with today’s political climate. I’m sure he said a few things that didn’t sit well with “the lifestyle company” Sometimes people with such a free spirit can be held back creatively, so it’s only inevitable that he’ll leave eventually.

#58 4 years ago

Franchi is a creative and a damn brilliant one at that. He's really found a niche in pinball where he really excels. The creative personally type is very independent and outspoken which is very much part of their DNA. It is very much what makes him such a great artists...

It would be a shame if Stern and he can't continue a relationship... But if Stern are stifling his creativity accidentally by pushing projects off like Beatlejuice Batman 66 Catwoman, and generally being corporate... he is likely frustrated...

#59 4 years ago

Franchi's mouth is a liability to Stern. I've seen him post some pretty cringe-worthy comments on social media. Stern doesn't need their own monkey drama after skating through the Trudeau thing unscathed.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Doing playfield art is, imo, tricky. Some experience helps. But plenty of good artists would be up for the challenge. If you're working with a good company that knows how to make pins and can give you the kind of guidance and resources you need it helps.
    Rob Zombie is a good example of fabulous backglass and cabinet art, not so great playfield art. It needs some understanding of what a playfield requires for sure. I dunno that I'll ever do another playfield again, but if I did I'd definitely learn from my own mistakes.
    I don't know or care about rumors or podcasts. What will be will be. But I do think pinball has a minor 'art problem' in that the same wells get visited over and over.
    This isn't a diss on any of the people who do pinball art. Nor do I wish them a lack of work or anything else. It's cool to see old favorites, and see new people grow. I think Zombie Yeti is a great illustrator. Franchi has a style that isn't my personal favorite, that photorealism thing he does is a real talent, I just prefer a little more stylization. For the right project he's a perfect fit though. I thought Batman66 was a really good match for his style for instance.
    But, that said, it would be nice to see more variety in the artists to be a good match for the themes. Dialed In is a good example. Mom jeans guy didn't help the feeling of "old men designing a game for young people" vibe. There are so many people out there with skill, just seeing more variety would be cool.
    My 2 cents.

True on the jeans, but Dialed In is the best pin!

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

True on the jeans, but Dialed In is the best pin!

You just wish you could draw jeans that tight!

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

OMG I had a Welcome Back Kotter lunchbox w/thermos that looked similar!

By the way, great podcast about this lunchbox if you haven't heard it:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/mystery-show/8wh956/case-6-kotter

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from cletus:I think Brian Holderman could put a cool spin on Elvira.

Brian Holderman would be great

Bullet-Holderman-10 (resized).jpgBullet-Holderman-10 (resized).jpgBullet-Holderman-11 (resized).jpgBullet-Holderman-11 (resized).jpgPAPA20-Holderman (resized).pngPAPA20-Holderman (resized).pngStern30thAnniversary-Poster-Blue (resized).pngStern30thAnniversary-Poster-Blue (resized).png
    #64 4 years ago

Let's not forget his Twipy performance at TPF 2019.

Unless it was staged.....

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from cletus:

I think Brian Holderman could put a cool spin on Elvira.
    [quoted image]

I like Brian's work, but Greg has already done the artwork for Elvira 3.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Franchi's mouth is a liability to Stern. I've seen him post some pretty cringe-worthy comments on social media. Stern doesn't need their own monkey drama after skating through the Trudeau thing unscathed.

And you want to be my latex salesman...

#67 4 years ago

I hope he doesn't stop working for Stern. I'm a Franchi fan-boy, and was awesome to meet

#68 4 years ago

oh No!! Who will Gary find to apply the Oil Paint photoshop filter to licensed assets!?!? Is the bubble about to BURST?!

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Macca101010:

I hope he doesn't stop working for Stern. I'm a Franchi fan-boy, and was awesome to meet

Check out his facebook page. He has a few comments on there about what is happening and what is true and what is not!

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Let's not forget his Twipy performance at TPF 2019.
    Unless it was staged.....

It obviously was, and was confirmed by those involved...

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Franchi has absolutely no filter, I like that. Unfortunately it’s not “politically correct” and not fitting with today’s political climate. I’m sure he said a few things that didn’t sit well with “the lifestyle company” Sometimes people with such a free spirit can be held back creatively, so it’s only inevitable that he’ll leave eventually.

It isn’t about not having a filter... it’s about having a professional approach.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

And I will put the name of Mitch O'Connell out there,...

He'd be great for pinball. Does he still do commercial work?
    .................David Marston

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Check out his facebook page. He has a few comments on there about what is happening and what is true and what is not!

What is happening?

#74 4 years ago

Would love to see another Pin with Brian Holdermans art.

#75 4 years ago

I see some cool art posted in here but it is pretty basic. Admit it, the pinside community would cry 1000 tears if it was on a Stern commercial product.

I Hexagon Franchi.

29340356_10156269292851913_109758804115757015_n (resized).jpg29340356_10156269292851913_109758804115757015_n (resized).jpg
    #76 4 years ago

I like this guys art style as well names Dano it seems.

51bzwMK225L._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg51bzwMK225L._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg61txY9fd7FL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg61txY9fd7FL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpgCA0GgnrUUAASEte (resized).jpegCA0GgnrUUAASEte (resized).jpegScreenshot_20190501-232238_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190501-232238_Google (resized).jpg
    #77 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconPunch:

Admit it, the pinside community would cry 1000 tears if it was on a Stern commercial product.

Brian Holderman or Mike Fudge or Brian Allen pin? Tears of joy.

Franchi is great at what he does, but I’ve had my fill of photorealistic 1960’s art for a while.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

What is happening?

I am a Franchi fan! See below what he posted. Remember he is also active on Pinside.

"If you want to know what I have to say about the rumors that I left Stern, what people who assume it's true have to say about it, and the comments that I have aired any of Sterns dirty laundry, assuming they have any... Tune in to my podcast on Slap Save next Monday. I'll address those things and more. I'll also be giving out an email address where you can ask questions I'll answer on the air. Be patient and don't believe everything you hear. Consider the source."

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Franchi is great at what he does, but I’ve had my fill of photorealistic 1960’s art for a while.

Brian holderman. I like it. But if that style was on a NIB stern game the pinside mob would not like it.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

I would like to know what happened with John Youssi.. he did some incredible and iconic work in the past that fit pinball perfectly, with the illustrations and hand drawn art, and since the early 2000's mainly does generic looking photoshop art? what a waste!

Agreed, his Whitewater art package is superb. But they don't make cartoony non-licensed games like that anymore. Although Oktoberfest should have been would have GREATLY benefited from his old illustrative skillset.

#81 4 years ago

Love that Holderman mermaid/diver poster, such a clever rework of the Fathom backglass.

#82 4 years ago

Chris Franchi is an amazing artist! I have hung out with him at shows and he is a super cool dude. I’m excited to have him as our 2019 Pintastic artist.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Quoted from solarvalue:

Love that Holderman mermaid/diver poster, such a clever rework of the Fathom backglass.

Here we go; An updated Seawitch using the Beatles play field re-work with Brian Holderman on art.

Make it happen.

#84 4 years ago

Why are people downvoting op's comments in here? I'm confused what's going on.

#85 4 years ago

Holderman has done the artwork for the past 3 Yegpins. I really like his style. Here was this year's poster

Yegpin-2019.pngYegpin-2019.png
    #86 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Because the cool Pinside thing to do is say you don't like Kaneda.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Because he mentioned Kaneda. His comments on pinball are polarizing and sometimes rumors aren’t true or full of misinformation.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

A downvote means you don't agree with a posting.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Franchi has absolutely no filter, I like that.

But businesses that are trying to sell products to the general public do not - & rightly so.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Franchi has absolutely no filter, I like that. Unfortunately it’s not “politically correct” and not fitting with today’s political climate.

It has nothing to do with politics. Stern is running a business and dealing with major licencors. If Franchi leaks art in violation of the terms of a license, or burns a bridge with a licencor costing Stern a deal, then real people suffer. Stern loses money, Stern might have to lay off people. "Sorry you are getting laid off, but our art guy's just got no filter, unlike all the other adults who understand how to behave at work".

I like Franchi's art too but I don't air my company's dirty laundry or petty squabbles and he shouldn't either. It's unprofessional.

#91 4 years ago

I think Franchi will bounce back from whatever is going on. His art is a big part of modern pinball at this point and I am a fan of his work.

... but I’m also going to keep the Holderman love fest going since his artwork is everywhere except on a production pinball machine. I believe Stern could remake Meteor featuring this Brian Holderman character. I’m feeling she has a killer story to tell.

E7C42DCE-B261-4498-8611-58DCF4D586AB.jpegE7C42DCE-B261-4498-8611-58DCF4D586AB.jpeg
    #92 4 years ago

Hope it’s not true, the tables he’s done artwork on for Stern are their best imo.

#93 4 years ago

Yeti said he was done with pinball for a while a few months back. Franchi is supposedly done. Dirty Donnie is supposedly done. Time to find some new blood...or maybe they already did? Lots and lots of excellent artists out there to choose from.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Yeti said he was done with pinball for a while a few months back.

I think that meant a short break after the madness of Maiden/Deadpool/Primus. Hopefully he's already at work on something new. Could be a year before we see it anyway.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Thank you for noticing... I asked for a confirmation and that's the reward...

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A downvote means you don't agree with a posting.

I don't agree with this post...

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I think that meant a short break after the madness of Maiden/Deadpool/Primus. Hopefully he's already at work on something new. Could be a year before we see it anyway.

I talked with Yeti at MGC. He said he is currently working on a Stern project for release next year.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I'd hazard to guess it's because he mentioned Kaneda as a source at the beginning of the thread

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

It has nothing to do with politics. Stern is running a business and dealing with major licencors. If Franchi leaks art in violation of the terms of a license, or burns a bridge with a licencor costing Stern a deal, then real people suffer. Stern loses money, Stern might have to lay off people. "Sorry you are getting laid off, but our art guy's just got no filter, unlike all the other adults who understand how to behave at work".
    I like Franchi's art too but I don't air my company's dirty laundry or petty squabbles and he shouldn't either. It's unprofessional.

Agree with you completely. I’m just referring to his unfiltered comments on pinball, it’s refreshing. Posting pics or leaking development info based on potential licenses probably doesnt go over to well with Stern management.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from cletus:

I think Franchi will bounce back from whatever is going on. His art is a big part of modern pinball at this point and I am a fan of his work.
    ... but I’m also going to keep the Holderman love fest going since his artwork is everywhere except on a production pinball machine. I believe Stern could remake Meteor featuring this Brian Holderman character. I’m feeling she has a killer story to tell.
    [quoted image]

Interesting that you mention this as I am currently working with Brian Holderman on retheming a Stern Meteor. He has also done the artwork for our podcast t-shirt which has been popular. Not trying to advertise here so I apologize in advance. I am a huge fan of Holderman and Franchi.

Black (resized).jpgBlack (resized).jpg
    There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-franchi-out-at-stern-/page/2?hl=stosel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.