(Topic ID: 191292)

Is flipper button wear still a problem with the new machines?

By Doctor6

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1542 (resized).JPG
    ac5e0ebd-f63a-4586-bdcf-d2907ad8d296_1.b06aef967b939c9f3b92dfb333d628d7 (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

So, I haven't collected in a few years, but I remember stern had serious issues with flipper button wear. Is that still a problem, or did they change how they do the art on cabinets to fix this? I'm talking machines made in the last few years.

#2 6 years ago

Tough to tell; the machines are still new.

#3 6 years ago

Games like LOTR and TSPP suffered more from flipper wear due to the rather low quality direct cabinet printing used at the time. Newer games use decals but I would still recommend cabinet protectors around the flipper buttons.

#4 6 years ago

I like the pinball life stern lollipop rails to help protect just in case

#5 6 years ago

I say yes, but it is more to do with people's body chemistry.

I have seen some people whose body chemistry is so acidic that they can rust out lockdown bars and side rails in no time flat.
    I know a guy that picked up a game and 6 months later from his family playing it and anywhere they touched the game the finish was worn off an pitted.

The direct print cabs form LOTR and TSPP era are some of the worst for long term durability, but others will bleach out also over time.

#6 6 years ago

I always worry about flipper wear on my games. I feel my sweaty hands are eating away at art every time I play, but it's probably just me

#7 6 years ago

If not protected, yes.
    Cabinet quality has decreased not increased particularly in the last 5 years.
    Consider the "silk screened versus decaled cabinets" phenomena.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I always worry about flipper wear on my games. I feel my sweaty hands are eating away at art every time I play, but it's probably just me

I like these

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1870

#9 6 years ago

I use these, held on with the flipper buttons
    http://www.pinballdecals.com/ButtonGuardProtectorsPage.html

#10 6 years ago

I use clear laminating strips and cut out my own. It's cheap and easy. Plus you can't even tell they are on there. Removing them is also very very easy

ac5e0ebd-f63a-4586-bdcf-d2907ad8d296_1.b06aef967b939c9f3b92dfb333d628d7 (resized).jpegac5e0ebd-f63a-4586-bdcf-d2907ad8d296_1.b06aef967b939c9f3b92dfb333d628d7 (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago

I don't know.

I have the lollipops on all of my Stern machines so that it never becomes an issue.

#12 6 years ago

It seems to me that the more recent stern decals are actually holding up better in that dept. I haven't seen any location METs TWD ST etc with any wear at all, with tons of plays. I do worry about my TSPP and LOTR though and play them more gently.

#13 6 years ago

My KISS was on location a while and the decals bubbled/cracked around the flipper buttons - poor quality.

Anyway these are pretty good as no extra holes.

IMG_1542 (resized).JPGIMG_1542 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-flipper-button-wear-still-a-problem-with-the-new-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.