8E5A8CBE-40D9-453D-8A10-490D53BF38CB (resized).jpeg
zzzzimage-4 (resized).jpg
zzzBackglass (resized).jpg
16159409387464959360133392863301 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201123_202612220 (resized).jpg
Man (resized).jpg
829f1 (resized).jpg
zzzil_1588xN.2893343144_46oq (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I am just looking for opinions from those who have experience with and an affinity for these older titles. This question is related specifically to gameplay and "cool" factor. I am aware of the rarity, collectability and condition factors. What I am trying to do is find my 5th and final early SS bally. Here is what I currently have. All have been restored and playing as fast as I can make them play:

Eight Ball Deluxe
Embryon
Flash Gordon
Centaur

I am also willing to forego the 5th Bally for a 6th Stern. Here is what I currently have:

Catacomb
Flight 2000
Big Game
Galaxy-(not a great game but I restored it so i like it)
Seawitch

Let me know what you think

RB

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am just looking for opinions from those who have experience with and an affinity for these older titles. This question is related specifically to gameplay and "cool" factor. I am aware of the rarity, collectability and condition factors. What I am trying to do is find my 5th and final early SS bally. Here is what I currently have. All have been restored and playing as fast as I can make them play:
Eight Ball Deluxe
Embryon
Flash Gordon
Centaur
I am also willing to forego the 5th Bally for a 6th Stern. Here is what I currently have:
Catacomb
Flight 2000
Big Game
Galaxy-(not a great game but I restored it so i like it)
Seawitch

Let me know what you think.
RB

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

When it comes to some of those older titles that fetch big money, personally I think it's mostly collectible factor driving the price on those, rather than the gameplay factor. So don't get fooled by thinking more $$$ = more fun with those titles.
Yes, some of those titles play well, but for instance, compare Fathom in the $4k+ range against The Shadow in the $3500+ range. The Shadow is mainly driven by gameplay value, rather than collector's pricing. TS is not too difficult to find, but a lot of people enjoy playing it. And then compare that against Congo ($5k+) where the gameplay isn't quite as good, but they're much more difficult to find, and a bit more collectible.
So, would I like to own a fathom? Sure! Do I want to pay $4k+ for one? Oh heck no. I have more fun with other games around a similar price point, that to me, offer more bang per buck and have a higher replay value.

I have TS and had congo and agree 100%. This is strictly based on early SS. I just watched the gameplay offrontier. Never seen that! Pretty cool for sure but I really like the background noise in the titles I have. That is part of the cool factor.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

These just appeared at the bottom of the page...yikes [quoted image]

actually the 5500.00 on from Chris Distefano triggered this post.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Going by your Pinside avatar I would say Bally Star Trek is the game you need to complete your line up.

lol...good one!

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Check vids flipper rebuild guide !

Quoted from Cheeks:

Wrong thread, but since this thread has a bunch of SS Bally enthusiasts in it...
Is it possible to upgrade the flippers on all these old Ballys? I have a whole row of them, and I love them, but all the flippers are so mushy. Supposedly changing the linkages was supposed to help, but I swapped them out and the flippers don't feel any different. I actually think my Paragon feels better than all the others. Are the flippers in that game supposed to be different and can they be ported to all the '81 Ballys? I'm just looking for a way to make the Bally flippers feel snappy.
To answer the thread, I think Fathom is worth it. Paragon is my fav, but Fathom is really cool and fun. Centaur may be the one I feel is overrated.
SO. MUCH. MULTIBALL.

i remember doing some backward replacement or downgrade on the flipper rebuild kits on these when i restored them. I think i ordered a bunch of space invaders era kits to replace what was in there. I think they were called linear linkages or something. No issue with flipper strength on any of these games in my collection. That is a big time focus on any game i get. get it working...then do the flippers. Always.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from nplg:

Nice lineup. If that was my lineup I would consider a Skateball or Meteor.

Had meteor twice. First time it was my 3rd game and prior to any dmd games second time got a beater on a trade and turned it +500 cash into a tx sector. I now have another wanted post for a meteor lol

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

I’d recommend:
Nine Ball
Stars
Meteor
Paragon
Skateball
Viking
Xenon

Gotta check out viking for sure. Nine ball has been on the hit list for a while. I need some drop targets to work on when I have insomnia....

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

VIking is another one of those shoot up the middle for the hole all the time games like Mata Hari.
If you like Mata Hari, you'll like it. If Mata Hari bores you, you probably won't.

Never played either.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Viking rocks. Mine is never leaving.
Have you played Barracora? If you like drop targets, check it out.

i havent played that and I do love drop targets. another game in my collection is el dorado city of gold. LOVE that game.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallKid:

I think when it comes to questions like yours, rcbrown, the answers are usually fun and interesting to read. This is no exception. Count me amongst those who rarely tire of these aesthetic debates on Pinside.
Full disclosure – I just turned 54 last week. So, the games you are asking about are games that have extraordinarily strong pull for me. I played them on location in their day. I remember the chatter as they arrived in local arcades, pushing technology and rule sets to places they had not been yet. They still connect me with my youth. I am a sucker for them. For example…
Flight 2000 will never leave my lineup. Why? Because I was there right at the time it came out and there was SUCH A BUZZ surrounding it once it was slotted into the long side wall at Walker’s Pinball Place in Warren, Michigan. Everyone wanted to play it. It held people’s attention even in the face of the growing wave of video games that were stealing quarters away from the cult of the silver ball.
Anyway, Fathom. From my perspective, this is one of the most iconic tables in history. Art package is absolutely gorgeous and really well integrated. To this day, when I see a Fathom in the real world, it makes me smile. To me, that is EXACTLY was a table was all about in that heyday before video games took over. Cool, sexy graphics. Great sounds. Challenging gameplay. Do I understand why others say it is not worth the money usually asked for it? 100% yes, but I also understand why it will likely always hold good value. So many great little tweaks, like the inside out outlane configuration. I got into the hobby six years ago and Fathom has gone up in price by about $1,000 since then. I don’t ever see it sliding back down. It is iconic, fun and timeless. But then, I am kind of getting older and the tables of the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s will always hold that special place for me.
Love ForceFlow’s comments here:

To me this is spot on. It is all about where YOU are with regard to the balance between rule set sophistication and aesthetic quality.
Whatever you decide, good luck. I personally don't think forking over the $$$ for a Fathom would be a mistake of you have it to spend. That being said, I also understand that undercurrent about a dubious rule set and an over-inflated price. I just don't see that price changing anytime soon, unless it goes up even higher. Bravo early SS!

Good solid write up. Nostalgia does play a role for sure. In the arcades the ones that i remember the most were paragon, space invaders, xenon, black knight and kiss (I played it alot but i can't stand Kiss). They all just ate up my quarters. The big reveal impact one for me was black knight for sure. Just so damn cool. I am almost in the same boat as you. Been in the hobby for 7 years. Been through 75+ pins. Just turned 54...today.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hard to say whether it's "worth it", but nothing beats a cherry Fathom and Centaur side by side. Considering you're such a huge fan of the era I think if you can afford it you should grab it. If you don't fall in love you can move it along likely for even money.

i'm starting to believe....

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I guess I'm not into pinball the much, because I've never spent over $2000 for a machine. But I do have Fathom, only because I paid less than $2,000 for it. It is totally awesome to look at. The colors are vibrant, and I love those sea nymphs. The game play is great....drops, spinner, multi ball, and speech.
With other pins selling for 10K up to 30K, I suppose I'd answer "yes" Fathom is worth the $$$$ it is currently demanding.

wanna make some killer profit?

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You should just suck it up and buy Crispy's at $5500 (or whatever you can negotiate). Dude does excellent work on games and ya get what you pay for.
You know you aren't gonna be happy with some bargain basement bally dude!

it is indeed tempting. mylared PF is a bit concerning. If i get a fathom I will want to go balls out on a restore.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The only person who knows if Fathom is worth it is you. I did not really care for Centaur and the instant that I sold it, I started looking for a Fathom.

I don't know. I have never played one. That's why i am asking those with experience. I have watched gameplay and wasnt impressed with the machine on the gameplay video. It looked slow to me. probably not set up correctly but i don't want to spend 5500 and end up with another space invaders.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Ain’t that kinda the point?

the point of what?

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Owning solid states. Different tempo of play, more relaxing...

as compared to what? newer sterns etc?

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My Catacomb is much faster than my AIQ

"relaxing" is not a term that will ever come to mind when anything in my collection is played. "hey honey, how bout a nice "relaxing" game of flash gordon to soothe our nerves and take away the worries of the day? WTF! ok you're up..."

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

“Moderns”, yes.

i also have shadow, BSD, tron, BKSOR and met prem in my collection...oh yeah tx sector isnt exactly slow but probably more manageable than any of my ballys or sterns aside from maybe centaur.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

i also have shadow, BSD, tron, BKSOR and met prem in my collection...oh yeah tx sector isnt exactly slow but probably more manageable than any of my ballys or sterns aside from maybe centaur.

...and ST Prem which is up for sale. open to trades and price is somewhat negotiable...

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Oh, and whomever thinks Galaxy is not a fantastic game, you are wrong.

that was me lol. I was just working on it last night. I bought it for 150 bucks and used it as a practice run restoration. I did a pretty good job!

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

So while everyone is sticking with Stern/Bally in this thread, I'd recommend Firepower (if you don't already have one...)

had one but sold it because the PF was sagging right down the middle where all the inserts are. not a very good design I suppose but who the hell knows where that thing had been. I also have a blackout in the shop and a flash back there somehwere. I like some of these old wiliams games but jist not as much as the balls and sterns. plus the boards are not interchangeable.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

It all boils down to personal preference.
Anything can get old. And will.
I dont keep these to play 10x a night.
[quoted image]

sweet lineup. whats way down on the end?

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Oh Jesus...you're the guy with the studded Centaur. LOL! Most of my pinball playing involves too much alcohol to be up close and personal to that many sharp objects.

wow cool! I didn't notice that til i read this

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This game poses an interesting question:
Is it the only pinball backglass featuring muffin top?

with stretchmarks to boot...

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Aztec man! At least it's in the same ballpark.
That poor virgin is about 10 seconds away from watching her own heart beat its' last as the life drains from her eyes!!!

that's hot...

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Fathom was my first pin, I think I got it around 2002, paid less than a grand for it. Is it worth it? I've owned a bunch 80's bally's, all the ones the op mentioned and Fathom is my favourite by a wide margin because of the combination of art, sound and game play.
Whether it is worth it or not is entirely up to the person spending the money I suppose. My tastes have changed in the almost 20 years I've been collecting pins and I prefer newer games with more to shoot for and deeper rules but I'll always have soft spot for Fathom.
I carried around my original Fathom playfield for years and years hoping to do something with it one day... I ended up selling it and then acquiring another one shortly after to complete a Fathom project I had long since dreamt about... I hope to have it finished in the coming weeks and then I will always have a Fathom at the house, it just plays a little differently than the original
[quoted image]

thats pretty cool...

#151 3 years ago

Looks like I am trading my ST premium for a pretty nice meteor and enough cash leftover to either get a fathom soon or wait and see what happens with Alien. I have watched a bunch of gameplay videos and have yet to see a fathom that wows me with speed. I do love the way it looks and all of the cool features and sound but not quite sold yet. This is a tough one!

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That’s often the narrative for Meteor.
But there’s a heap more to it than that.
Meteor target completions is bonus x - I wail on those.
The 1-2-3 banks light your bonus rockets .. those counting down with a big X is worth big points.
So you got the spinner to wail on, when lit .. then the 3 banks of drops, then the Meteor drops.
Meteor and Ali would be my favourite Sterns I reckon. Both cheap, both great pins.
rd

Spot on Dave. This will be my 3rd one. Going to get it in 5 minutes.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Ballys are the best.
All this Fathom talk I'm trying to resist.
Especially since I pulled the trigger on a heavily mentioned game in this thread.

Nine ball from Tennessee? Did you get it in house yet?

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Not yet. Soon.

i watched bowens tutorial on that game yesterday. I should have bought that lol...

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks a lot, assholes. Just bought a Fathom.

I saw your want add for a playfield. What have you done?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
£ 195.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcbrown316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-fathom-worth-the-?tu=rcbrown316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.