Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Captive_Ball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 months ago

[more newbie questions here] On one of my Fathom games today the ball went immediately straight to the drain three times! Keep in mind that I'm still a bit of a beginner so I may not be good at nudging for instance, but I am not sure I could have saved all of those. On my third go I managed to aim some shots decently and got a score of 642 220. Not sure what you think about this score here. One of the balls went straight to the drain again. Maybe I just got very unlucky? But the gap between the flippers and lack of balls to make up for immediate draining* is also something to consider, so is draining something that happens quite often in
Fathom and on older games in general?

*Bonus question: when did this become a thing?

#2 8 months ago

Fairly common with that era of game. I never found Fathom worse than any others - if anything it’s a bit easier because the of left reverse outlane, which also allows you to make a save.

Flipper gap is not wide, but those Bally flippers take a bit of getting used to.

Edit: 642k is an ok score, so not doing too badly.

#3 8 months ago

Forgot to mention that I also played Eight Ball Deluxe, and that felt more "normal" to me.

#4 8 months ago

I've had many games like that on Fathom then all of the sudden I'm getting 2 and 3 ball multiballs and extra balls too just running away with the score. Most pins are like that but I think your right about fathom being very unforgiving then over generous more than some others. Those multiballs are the key though with fathom

#5 8 months ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I've had many games like that on Fathom then all of the sudden I'm getting 2 and 3 ball multiballs and extra balls too just running away with the score. Most pins are like that but I think your right about fathom being very unforgiving then over generous more than some others. Those multiballs are the key though with fathom

I'm still a bit panicky when I get multiball

#6 8 months ago

Is Fathom a drain monster? ….Nope

#7 8 months ago

All depends on the setup game to game however typically fathom is not overly brutal.

#8 8 months ago

Early Bally SS games have a wider flipper gap than Williams games from that era making them all inherently more challenging to play.

As others have said, setup is key as to whether any ball guides are feeding you house balls. A slow roll out of the top left orbit "can" go middle, but it should be entirely speed-dependent, and not an "always" thing.

-mof

#9 8 months ago

Is Fathom tough?
Yes.

Is Fathom a drain monster?
No -- it requires you to up your game.

-mof

#10 8 months ago
Quoted from mof:

Early Bally SS games have a wider flipper gap than Williams games from that era making them all inherently more challenging to play.
As others have said, setup is key as to whether any ball guides are feeding you house balls. A slow roll out of the top left orbit "can" go middle, but it should be entirely speed-dependent, and not an "always" thing.
-mof

It's probably mostly me, but the ball was definitely rolling slower than on the Eight Ball Deluxe that was right next to it. Oddly enough I found the Eight Ball to be a bit easier to handle.

#11 8 months ago
Quoted from Trond:

easier to handle

Much, it has easier outlanes to deal with.
-mof

#12 8 months ago

Fathom is crazy...you work really hard to lock a ball...knock down the drop targets to start multiball...and within 3 seconds it's all over So when your able to get a good game in...it feels like such an accomplishment. Sometimes the ball runs to the drain..sometimes you get lucky and you get the tip of the flipper on it and keep playing. It's a great game, hope to own one someday.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside