(Topic ID: 297025)

Is Faces by Segasa Sonic the first game with a modern-style side-loop?

By oldbaby

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Sinistarrett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Faces Segasa-Sonic, 1976

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

satin (resized).jpg
faces pinball playfield (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

Faces has an upper-left flipper in a basically normal modern-style upper-left flipper location, and a loop shot that is designed to be hit by the upper-left flipper.
I'm not talking about upper flippers that go to a target bank and nothing else, I'm talking about the sort of upper flipper shots you seen in almost all modern games with upper flippers (Dialed In, TMNT Stern, Iron Maiden, Stern Star Trek, etc).
Contrast with Captain Fantastic, which has an upper right flipper that nobody uses because it goes straight to a drop target bank and often leads to a drain.

faces pinball playfield (resized).jpg
#2 11 months ago

I think Faces was the first one with an upper loop shot. It’s the only EM I’ve seen with one.

#3 11 months ago

Satin Doll / Pat Hand kinda has one. Looping the ball back up top over the rollovers is a lucrative strat.

satin (resized).jpg
#4 11 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Satin Doll / Pat Hand kinda has one. Looping the ball back up top over the rollovers is a lucrative strat. [quoted image]

Thank you sir!

1 month later
#5 9 months ago

Was just watching a Mars Trek gameplay video and got to wonderin’ what other EM games had a third upper flipper like that. So Faces does, and that loop shot looks really sweet, are there any other EMs that have a third upper flipper?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The EM Scientist
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!