Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 99 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by awarner
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“are you a lawyer”

• yes 27 votes
      13%
    • no 100 votes
      49%
    • bananna 79 votes
      38%

(206 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-13.jpeg
    image.jpg
    th-12.jpeg
    th-10.jpeg
    Jerky_Boys-Stop_Staring_at_Me.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awarner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

LOL I would offer but I live in a small apartment full of pins

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images
    and another question about nucore, a lot of people talk about how hard it was to license from B/W
    but why license anything? as long as you dont use any B/W code or distribute the roms what can they possibly do to you?
    you think MAME got permission from Atari/Data East/Bally/Williams/Gottlieb/Namco/etc etc?
    or PinMAME got permission from B/W/DE/Sega/Stern/Gottlieb? I doubt it very much

I don't know much, but I know this: NuCore requires both RFM and SWE1 ROMs. Now you would just think, no problem, they are on pinball.com (aka Planetary Pinball). But those are just patches to the masked EPROMs inside the P2k prism card. You need those ROMs to even get started. It's apparent that NuCore had a deal with WMS/IPB/TPF to supply the ROMs via a redirect from the NuCore site to Pinball.com.

NuCore was dependent on the full ROM package being available to work. We don't know why NuCore was made to stop making kits, but it happened about the same time that Planetary Pinball took over the WMS rights from TPF. Coincidence or whatever it appears the events are related but I'm just guessing. For all we know IPB could have pulled out.

Pinbox stirred the pot. I think if NuCore gets produced again, it will sell. If it takes a long time to sell, people with dark machines will be desparate enough to search out the less than legal alternative.

My opinions are my own. My facts can be documented.

Al

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

I don't disagree with you, but again, MAME makes a piece of software that emulates arcade machines, where you get the roms is not their problem
    if they make/distribute "nucore" without any roms and say "where you get the roms is your problem, feel free to read the masked roms from your legally owned PRISM board that belongs to your machine" then they would be in the clear
    the fact that the roms are available from less legitimate sources on the internet is not the problem of the developer ex MAME

In defense of NuCore, they wanted to keep this a legitimate solution and wanted to work within the legal rules. To make it work, they had to disassemble the original OS and the software and that is a copyright violation whether you include the ROMs or not. They did the right thing and really couldn't have done it any other way if they wanted to actually sell it. MAME is totally different in that it's not for sale.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider awarner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-everyone-in-pinside-a-lawyer?tu=awarner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.