Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RTR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I want to know if I am the only one who is noticing some changes I am running into on Ebay? I doubt that I am but nobody is talking about it.

What I am running into the last few days is that I am having problems locating completed and sold auctions. Let me clarify so read it carefully.

I'll have some auctions in my watch list that I will watch occasionally, or sometimes constantly. After the auction has closed and even if it is just seconds after the auction has closed I want to see if the item sold, or not. And if it sold I want to see for how much.

But what I am running into is that Ebay is making it damned difficult to see a closed auction. I'll click on the closed auction and instead Ebay will keep shunting me off to some other active auction for something I am not interested in. Eventually, I will find the closed auction I am looking for but not with out a fight.

Has anybody else noticed the crap happening on Ebay? Or am I doing something wrong all of a sudden?

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Yep, I noticed the same thing.

#3 5 years ago

Yeah, I've noticed it. Can no longer review completed auctions. Good in that I'm already sick of EBay. Don't understand it.

#4 5 years ago

I have noticed as well. I've been on ebay for 20 years! It sux SO BAD now from what it was 5, 10, 15 years ago! The justification for the jobs at ebay corporate is just getting out of control. This is just another dumbass(s)....... I got a do'do some job move. Man I miss Y! Auctions

#5 5 years ago

Been that way for a little while now.

Years ago you used to be able to see the names of other bidders bidding against you in an auction, then they made than anonymous. Then they did away with allowing you to put a phone number/e-mail in your listing. Then they started charging you a fee if you ended an auction listing early because they thought someone had contacted you with a question. A number of months back they started reducing the time completed auctions could be viewed -- currently I think most of the info/pictures go in a week or two.

I stopped selling on E-bay years ago when they basically put all the power in the hands of the buyer -- someone could win your auction, find something to complain about to E-bay, and as a seller you'd more or less be out the item and your money.

E-bay is no longer a site for online auctions; it is basically a place to go for buy it now items. . . that may less popular going forward with the enforcement of sales tax across state lines though.

Its a shame how something with such potential was ruined by too much regulation and restrictions. I am still talking about E-bay, but I suppose that goes for other entities as well. . .

#6 5 years ago

Focused Facebook groups and Amazon have eliminated my need to buy and sell on eBay all together. The fees have gotten out of hand between eBay and PayPal, and eBay has ruined all of the good things they had going for them--like completed auction search. Making me choose to see USA items only every time I searched in the mobile app made me get annoyed even farther. Half the time when I did give China a try, the items never arrived after a month of waiting, or they did not work. Peace out eBay.

#7 5 years ago

Agree 100% - IMO eBay ruined compared to how it was years ago. Im seeing this often in tech these days - keep on tweaking and tweaking something until it’s just garbage. LinkedIn is another example - they kept trying to make it better and better until one day it just became the bloated heap of steaming spam scum it is today.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Agree 100% - IMO eBay ruined compared to how it was years ago. Im seeing this often in tech these days - keep on tweaking and tweaking something until it’s just garbage. LinkedIn is another example - they kept trying to make it better and better until one day it just became the bloated heap of steaming spam scum it is today.

No doubt!

Just leave it alone!

Once you figure it out, they change it again!

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

So it is not just me. god, I miss the days when all I had to deal with was banner ads.

You know how corporate is. If you are a new hire you have to bring in a new idea to show you are with it. Does not matter that your idea is junk. You have to get that idea out there.

We used to have to deal with that crap where I worked, and after the new hire was "let go" all his shit went in the trash and we got back to work.

#10 5 years ago

I have no problem viewing completed auctions. I usually add them to my watch list, but I can also simply perform a search and check “sold” items. Lately it defaults sold with completed items though, I then have to uncheck completed and focus only on sold items.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding since a few of you have this issue.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I have no problem viewing completed auctions. I usually add them to my watch list, but I can also simply perform a search and check “sold” items. Lately it defaults sold with completed items though, I then have to uncheck completed and focus only on sold items.

I know of a handful of items that I was trying to find after they sold, but they didn't appear in the sold listings. I thought it was just the search terms or other ebay weirdness, but yeah, after seeing others mention the same thing, I'd say sold listings are most certainly quietly vanishing.

Even some of the items I've purchased don't appear in sold listings, even though they appear in my purchase history.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I want to know if I am the only one who is noticing some changes I am running into on Ebay? I doubt that I am but nobody is talking about it.
    What I am running into the last few days is that I am having problems locating completed and sold auctions. Let me clarify so read it carefully.
    I'll have some auctions in my watch list that I will watch occasionally, or sometimes constantly. After the auction has closed and even if it is just seconds after the auction has closed I want to see if the item sold, or not. And if it sold I want to see for how much.
    But what I am running into is that Ebay is making it damned difficult to see a closed auction. I'll click on the closed auction and instead Ebay will keep shunting me off to some other active auction for something I am not interested in. Eventually, I will find the closed auction I am looking for but not with out a fight.
    Has anybody else noticed the crap happening on Ebay? Or am I doing something wrong all of a sudden?
    Thanks

EBAY is already dead, the corpse is still twitching is all. Haven’t used them in years and good riddance to bad updates over the years. Been on there since 1999, forgot about them after 2012. Meh.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

If I would write more clearly maybe you could understand. I am talking about items that I have in my watch list. Say that I am watching the NOS Ali Stern play field that was up for sale. The auction closed so I went looking for ended items in my watch list and I click on that item to get details on the completed auction. Did it sell? Or did the bid not meet the reserve? How many bidders? etc. I find the ended auction in my watchlist and click on it. And instead of going to the completed auction, Ebay steers me to an auction for a Fathom play field overlay.

But it does not do this for every item in my watch list of closed auctions so I am stuck with the confusion of dealing with "sometimes it works and sometimes it does not".

I can search for something and click on SOLD and COMPLETED and that still works but some changes are going on there, too. I can feel them.

#14 5 years ago

I duplicated what you are saying. Certainly pretty recent development, as I’ve used that feature for years.

Hopefully it’s temporary.

#15 5 years ago

So much hate in this thread...

Ebay (and Amazon) have been a life changer to me. I've made over a million dollars the last 7 years buying stuff off ebay and reselling on Amazon (and vice versa occasionally). I've been on ebay since 1999 and Amazon since 2000, so I've seen a lot of changes.

As for the original question, yes I've had that happen a few times for the last month or so and it's beyond frustrating. I don't think it's intentional on their part and I think they'll be fixing it. Viewing completed auctions is integral to ebay.

#16 5 years ago

I noticed it and hated it too. I think it is their way to redirect you to a similar (algorithmically similar, lol) item.

It will say 'the listing you are looking for is sold, here is a similar item' or something like that. The word 'listing' will be a link back to the original sold auction you are looking for. It is an annoyance, but I can always get back to the original item. It just involves an extra page refresh and 2 more clicks than necessary.

I have also noticed that the data on page views for sellers is screwed up. More than half the time, I cannot tell how many page views my auctions have had.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-ebay-making-some-changes-?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.