(Topic ID: 136217)

Is Dutch Pinball's "Bride of Pinbot 2.0" a New Game?

By awarner

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by awarner
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dutch Pinball's Bride of Pinbot 2.0 have it's own machine designation?”

• Yes - It's a whole new game and plays nothing like the machinhe it is built on. 80 votes
    78%
  • No - It would just confuse everything if there were more than one "Bride of Pinbot" 22 votes
    22%

(102 votes)

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You're just quibbling over semantics. You think it's a mod, and others don't. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. The question was whether or not the game deserved it's own entry in the Pinside database. In that regard, people overwhelmingly voted "yes". Case closed.

Indeed that was the question, and while I wouldn't use of 'quibbling' (I'd use a different term, like stating - as in - stating my case), comments like 'Case Closed' sound a bit authoritative and condescending, neither of which I was being. I was also clear that my clarification was over semantics. I believe in using the right words at the right time, not assigning new meaning, so my posting is just an elaboration on that. As for the 'Case Closed', I'll leave that to each their own. You are right, the difference of whether anyone thinks it is a new game or a mod is moot and I'll just leave the thread as difference of opinion seems to be taken with no hint of salt around. Just my two cents. Now I need to find another 23 so I can play a game.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Indeed that was the question, and while I wouldn't use of 'quibbling' (I'd use a different term, like stating - as in - stating my case), comments like 'Case Closed' sound a bit authoritative and condescending, neither of which I was being. I was also clear that my clarification was over semantics. I believe in using the right words at the right time, not assigning new meaning, so my posting is just an elaboration on that. As for the 'Case Closed', I'll leave that to each their own. You are right, the difference of whether anyone thinks it is a new game or a mod is moot and I'll just leave the thread as difference of opinion seems to be taken with no hint of salt around. Just my two cents. Now I need to find another 23 so I can play a game.

I just went back and re-read my post. It did come off as condescending. That was not my intention. My apologies.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I just went back and re-read my post. It did come off as condescending. That was not my intention. My apologies.

That's very cool of you. No worries. I try to think before I speak and don't always think long enough. Al was one of the reasons I got into this hobby and his Bride is very nice (as is his wife - would have to be the case with a hobby like this). I think DP has done a great job (though I wish they'd share or sell use of their DMD creation platform) and made a good game so much better. Hopefully I'll get my own custom thing done someday and mod or new game, I know it'll be a ton of work and hopefully worthy of some praise.

#55 8 years ago

I had the chance to play some games of BOP 2.0 yesterday and I think it really makes it a different game, even though the playfield is the same. Great new rules, sounds and dots. If I'd own a BOP, I'd certainly buy the kit.

#56 8 years ago

There is no question at all that BoP 2.0 is a modification to BoP. It is literally that. However, it is a mod that creates a second distinct game in the same box.

Bop2.0 is a mod in the way that a butterfly is a caterpillar mod, except you can also switch back to the caterpillar if you like.

Rules make the game. Poker is not the same as cribbage.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

There is no question at all that BoP 2.0 is a modification to BoP. It is literally that. However, it is a mod that creates a second distinct game in the same box.
Bop2.0 is a mod in the way that a butterfly is a caterpillar mod, except you can also switch back to the caterpillar if you like.
Rules make the game. Poker is not the same as cribbage.

Oohhhhh, that explains why I keep losing at poker!

#58 8 years ago

I've heard rumors that Shimoda might be up this way soon for a purchase from a friend, stop by and be prepared to "change your MOD statement" <grin>.

-Al-

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I've heard rumors that Shimoda might be up this way soon for a purchase from a friend, stop by and be prepared to "change your MOD statement" <grin>.
-Al-

I'm still waiting on a price quote on that machine I asked our mutual friend about, said he'd have to ask you

Besides, I'ma have to give up Rudy to do that, which will likely happen - need to snap some pics of it. Change my mind it's a mod, probably not but I already like BOP so anything that makes it better will just add to that.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

I'd call BoP 2.0 a $2,000 mod...

This. A one-off game doesn't represent anything more than a mod, albeit a really talented one.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Fearless_Leader:

This. A one-off game doesn't represent anything more than a mod, albeit a really talented one.

A one-off game? Are you meaning something like the Gremlins re-do of Hollywood Heat?

#62 8 years ago

Really if BOP 2.0 doesn't qualify on it's own, rating wise, then neither should LE'S etc. Comparing Tron Pro and Tron LE versus BOP and BOP 2.0 is like chalk and cheese!

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Really if BOP 2.0 doesn't qualify on it's own, rating wise, then neither should LE'S etc. Comparing Tron Pro and TRON LE versus BOP and BOP 2.0 is like chalk and cheese!

+10

#66 8 years ago

Thanks Robin for adding BoP2.0 as a machine; we took some pictures of our Bride yesterday and added them to the gallery:
https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/bride-of-pinbot-20/gallery/exterior

Who can set an appropriate thumbnail for this machine?

#67 8 years ago

Just a though, would calling it a "conversion" be reasonable? It is clearly not a new game as far as the bulk of the hardware is concerned and it is clearly a couple of orders of magnitude more complex than your typical mod.

#68 8 years ago

If pinside makes a distinction between Stern's asinine le/pro/se scheme even though they are the same damn game, then yes bop 2.0 should be listed separately.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

If pinside makes a distinction between Stern's asinine le/pro/se scheme even though they are the same damn game, then yes bop 2.0 should be listed separately.

Robin commented to me that he doesn't like the LE/PRO/SE classifications and was planning to work something out. If a game has a major software or hardware item that causes it to score different, I think it should be considered a new game. Besides BOP 2.0, games like AC/DC score differently because of the missing lower playfield in the pro. I really think scoring should be the deciding factor because of games used in competitions and for record setting. Your opinion may vary; see stores for details.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-dutch-pinballs-bride-of-pinbot-20-a-new-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.