IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0375-587.JPG
IMG_0376-944.JPG
who.gif
$_20.jpg
dalek-lessons.jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

I had JB and DW
Really liked both games but justified to myself that one of the two could go.
DW stayed
It was in nicer shape and I love the three flipper three ramp layout.

#52 10 years ago

Good choice.

Buy it and organise a Barry Oursler event right away. I will. Except I have reached a state in which I love the pins I currently own, have no more space at home and will need to find creative solutions to host new ones.

DW is a good pin, excellent bang-for-buck choice, good to improve your skills... Finding one with the right cabinet color (red still red...) is kind of hard, but I could live without.

"Exterminate"!

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Curious, was it really just that single board issue or did you need to do more to get it up and running?

I went ahead and bought a new Rottendog board and it fired right up (I tested it first with a working board I had from another game). It has only one switch error once it booted up. Playfield is in perfect shape the only other issue is the cabinet fade but I am not playing the cabinet lol. It plays great and I really enjoy it!

#54 10 years ago

I'm picking it up Sunday I'm super excited! I've been watching all sorts of old school Dr Who episodes as well some pinball videos.

#55 10 years ago

Awesome!!

#56 10 years ago

Great machine! I almost picked one up a few years ago (beautiful with working topper), but thought $1,200 was WAY too much.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Great machine! I almost picked one up a few years ago (beautiful with working topper), but thought $1,200 was WAY too much.

Ted, 1200 for a DMD pin around these part is unheard of. I woulda been all over that. Im picking mine up for 2200 which I think is a steel. I picked my T2 up off the same guy for 1800 3 years ago and I see them go for 3000 locally. I wasn't really looking for a new pin as I'm slowing running outta room and my bag of tricks is slowly wearing thin on my ol' lady but for the price I figured I'd jump on it and put up with the shit sandwiches from my fiancé for the next little while

#58 10 years ago

Hah! Good idea! The machine is fun. Does it have the Topper?

#59 10 years ago

It's a great machine, very fun to play. Barry Oursler is probably my favorite Bally/WMS designer. Unlike other popular designers, who often had playfield features carry over from game-to-game (like Steve Ritchie's steep ramps and Pat Lawlor's orbit-into-pop-bumbers designs), Barry was all over the place with his creative elements. Dr. Who is a fun game with a very well-integrated theme.

There are a few criticisms I have of the game however:

The time expander is very cool, but also, a certain shot at the wrong time, as it's closing with a ball getting stuck can render catastrophic damage to the entire assembly.

Like many Bally/WMS games, the video mode is not random, and therefore easily memorized. It's really a shame they "phoned it in" with the video mode and could have otherwise made the game a lot more exciting.

The ability to steal the other player's locked balls and the fact that there are different shots to lock balls for subsequent players means this game is a less-than-ideal table for competition.

The audio in this game really pushed the limit of the Bally/WMS system and it's a shame some of the speech is so low-fi and compressed.

On the plus side, there are some very satisfying shots.. the W-H-O combo is really cool. The different features each doctor gives you means there are different strategies and approaches you can make. Scoring is pretty well balanced.

#60 10 years ago

$_20.jpg$_20.jpg

#61 10 years ago

Sweet!

who.gifwho.gif
#62 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

The ability to steal the other player's locked balls and the fact that there are different shots to lock balls for subsequent players means this game is a less-than-ideal table for competition.

This isn't the case on mine, perhaps you are misreading it. The game remembers who has what place in multiball. Perhaps I need to go back and try this again but I've played it in competition and it was fine.

#63 10 years ago

Just picked one up, after just missing a few I had been after over the years. Paid $1600 for it unshopped but the elevator motor needed to be replaced ($119 or $70 at mad) and I replaced the mini playfield ($89) flipper rebuilds, cliffy protector, etc. Wasn't too bad to replace and get that mini pf out to swap everything out and over.
Could use a new side ramp though it works fine (cracked at the trap door) but I don't see a single ramp, only the combo set available
Cabinet is nice, not fade blasted like many, has topper, board set looks good, good dmd..
I'll try and post some pics later.

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

There's a setting where locked balls get ejected after each ball (but the game remembers which were locked of course), so this isn't a problem for competition!

#65 10 years ago

Never watched the show, have always enjoyed the gameplay and would own if price was right.

#66 10 years ago

Ummm - I paid $400 for mine in 1998. It was a weak "B" title that nobody liked back then. I probably have $650 in it now though... Not for sale - been with me too long.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

Ummm - I paid $400 for mine in 1998. It was a weak "B" title that nobody liked back then. I probably have $650 in it now though... Not for sale - been with me too long.

There were a lot of games back then that nobody liked, including Cactus Canyon...

#68 10 years ago

I like how the two little red "ears" fall off on impact...it can fly through a metal gate without damage but it falls over and its ears are so delicate they fall off...ahh Dr Who production values...

#69 10 years ago

At least the etheric beam locators are still intact.

#70 10 years ago

I never cared for DW. Owned it about 10 years, sold it last year, don't miss it at all. Not hard, fairly simple rules, poor layout, weak theme. Family hated it. My time expander worked, but they are pains when they don't. I should have sold it much earlier.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from dbellAZ:

At least the etheric beam locators are still intact.

Must not have used hot glue to keep those on....lol

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I never cared for DW. Owned it about 10 years, sold it last year, don't miss it at all. Not hard, fairly simple rules, poor layout, weak theme. Family hated it. My time expander worked, but they are pains when they don't. I should have sold it much earlier.

why would you keep a game for ten years that you never cared for?

#73 10 years ago

My topper flasher is working, but the 555 bulbs in a row under the topper do not seem to work- Does anyone know if these are suppose to be on constant or a mode/shot specific?

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

why would you keep a game for ten years that you never cared for?

Because I wasn't into the hobby as much as I am now and didn't have interest in buying and selling, didn't know about pinside, or that prices had risen rapidly, including by more than 1k for my DW. I bought tspp and DW in 2003, and never did anything else until early last year. And then I hit the slippery slope.

#75 10 years ago

I've owned Doctor Who as long as anyone (I've had it since September of 1992...) so I am super biased . . . but yes yes yes, if you like the theme the game does not disappoint at all.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Does anyone know if these are suppose to be on constant or a mode/shot specific?

Mine are on constant, not CPU controlled like the GI or inserts. The come on instantly when I power on the game.

#77 10 years ago

^ thanks! Now i need to figure out why mine aren't

#78 10 years ago

Personally DW isn't my favorite, but casual players really like it. I think the ruleset is engaging, yet simple enough to grasp that anyone can feel like they get the game.

Those lightning flippers suck though.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Up2L8:

Those lightning flippers suck though.

People are down on them so much, only about an 1/8" difference. I know that adds to 1/4 inch but a good game can be played with them.

#80 10 years ago

+1 shimoda.... The center drain is not the issue with DW...it's the outlanes.
faz

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

..it's the outlanes.
faz

Funny thing is my game is set to conservative on the outlanes and I still haven't changed them. What am I crazy? This IS an Oursler pin after all.

#82 10 years ago

Just got it home. This thing looks brand new
The ugh I got it from said it hasn't been played for 5 years at least. Thankfully he cleaned it up for me. Pics to follow once I've had some one on one time.

#83 10 years ago

Change those batteries as soon as you can!

#84 10 years ago

When I got my DW the Time Expander didn't work. So I spent a few days playing it just going for Sonic Booms. That loop ramp, WHO combos and Sonic Booms are fun enough that it didn't matter! Such a great game, I really miss mine.

#85 10 years ago

You will be happy to have purchased. It took me a while to get mine to a 'good playing, no errors' stage big thanks to Faz and Cliffy (these 2 fellows are tops) Looking forward to seeing the pics. Enjoy!

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

When I got my DW the Time Expander didn't work. So I spent a few days playing it just going for Sonic Booms. That loop ramp, WHO combos and Sonic Booms are fun enough that it didn't matter! Such a great game, I really miss mine.

How do you get a Sonic Boom?

#87 10 years ago

Nine loops around the O ramp on the right. Then every ten extra.

#88 10 years ago

Yeah every time you shoot the O ramp you'll see on the DMD 'x more for Sonic Boom'. When you get the tenth one you start a Sonic Boom combo. The trap door lowers and the ball gets diverted to the lower flipper to start a special Sonic Boom W-H-O combo. Every letter in W-H-O gives you one Sonic Boom, and you have the same time limit on this as a normal W-H-O combo (extended if you have Doctor 3). If you get all three in W-H-O you get the best sound effects ever. I didn't hook up a subwoofer to mine, but if you did I'm sure it would sound incredible!

#89 10 years ago

Is Dr Who suppose to have lightning flippers?

#90 10 years ago

Yes and No.

It was NOT designed with them, but added after-the-fact during production to shorten ball times.

Go figure.
faz

#91 10 years ago

I personally prefer it with lightning flippers. The W 'Hang On' shot is much tougher to make with normal flippers. I liked the extra challenge.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

Yes and No.
It was NOT designed with them, but added after-the-fact during production to shorten ball times.
Go figure.
faz

I'd only put regular flippers on if I knew from the designer it was supposed to have them and not the lightning flippers.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I'd only put regular flippers on if I knew from the designer it was supposed to have them and not the lightning flippers.

The same is true for Fish Tales. Possibly others.
faz

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Is Dr Who suppose to have lightning flippers?

Yes it is. Just the lower two. As others have said, it wasn't designed for them, but that is correct. Mine have always had Lightning flippers. I'm guessing I've owned mine longer than most people here (17 years).

#95 10 years ago

I really enjoy the lightning flippers on Dr Who. Ive only put maybe 10 games on it and am liking it so far. The Time Expander is super cool. Multiball on this game is fun. My 11 y old boy threw a few games on it as well. He's never heard of Dr Who and was having a blast playing it. I caught him watching Dr Who vids on youtube shortly after. He gives his approval

Thanks for all the feedback on the game. It really helped on the decision to purchase this title. I guess the numbers never lie.

#96 10 years ago

Doctor Who's multiball mode is one of the best, most understandable multiball modes of any I know of - you are killing daleks, one in each zone and it is so obvious what the target is. It's also a great interaction between the DMD and the playfield. Very well thought out.

#97 10 years ago

Agreed. It is a game that is easy for newbies to understand and achieve something meaningful.

In contrast, after Doctor Who I got a Road Show. Similar to Doctor Who, newbies can shoot straight up the middle to progress. But all that happens is they get to Friday, then you instruct them to make the difficult lock shot. Twice. And they can never pull it off. None of my non-pinhead friends and family have managed to start multiball in Road Show since I've owned it. And the modes can be overwhelming.

With DW just make sure you enable Feature Adjustment 21. It drops the balls out of the locks between players (but remembers they're achieved). If a ball is released from a lock and goes STDM there's a ball saver. But if there's a ball already in the lock, there isn't one and you're SOL. Feature Adjustment 21 eliminates this common occurrence and makes the game more fun to play multiplayer.

#98 10 years ago

For sure kids get DW. I have four machines. Stargate, DW, Catacomb and Bally Star Trek.

The timid kids go for ST. It's crazy simple...no instructions needed.

Stargate gets play, but they don't know what they are doing. I spend a few moments explaining...they get it.

Catacomb ...forget it. I can't even explain it to people. It's my game and that's good enough for me

As for DW, everyone just gets it. Kids especially, they just know what to hit to get a decent score. Subtleties of loops and video mode push them way over the edge. It's one of those, "But wait...there's more!!!" moments.

But when they see the topper move...they lose their minds..
faz

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

With DW just make sure you enable Feature Adjustment 21

Good to know. Thanks!

#100 10 years ago

Anybody know where to find those wobblehead toppers? I think they are a tough find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-dr-who-worth-buying/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.