Topic poll

“To buy or not to buy???”

• Buy that badass game cause it kicks ass and chicks dig it. 81 votes
    80%
  • Its a dud!! Don't waste your money. 20 votes
    20%

(101 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0378.JPG
IMG_0375-587.JPG
IMG_0376-944.JPG
who.gif
$_20.jpg
dalek-lessons.jpg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

I'm looking at buying a very clean Dr. Who but have never played it. Is it a good fit to any game room?

#2 5 years ago

Yes, I have found those that know little or nothing about the show enjoy the machine. But opinions will always vary and some have issues hearing 'exterminate' so often from the Daleks. I find both the layout and integration of theme to be excellent. Good luck!

Brad

dalek-lessons.jpg

#3 5 years ago

It seems like a pretty cool game to me, I've been thinking about picking one up as well. Cool theme, a couple of ramps, plenty to do, time exchanger is pretty cool. My only reservation is that it has some similar shots to pinbot, and I already have pinbot. Most 90's Bally/Williams games are pretty darn good.

#4 5 years ago

It's a great pin, I've owned mine for 16 years now! But I'd say, "Don't buy it". PM me where it is and one of my friends will take it off the guy's hands. Just kidding, sorta.

But really, the cool shot is the upper ramp shot. It increases the playfield multiplier which makes every shot or multiball, or video mode score higher. It is timed so if you don't keep hitting the shot, it starts decreasing again.

So I'd say buy it - wait, don't buy it!

Al

#5 5 years ago

A very fun and unique game. I'm already a DW fan, so that makes it for me. Like some Barry Ousler stuff, it looks deceptively simple at first, but the way the rules go, and the deeper you dig, you can approach playing it in different ways. Go for it!

#6 5 years ago

I loved mine but it can get repetitive pretty fast. Definitely worth it even if it's short term ownership for the Dalek call out's alone.

#7 5 years ago

I have a 2nd one now... it has been waiting mild restoration all year but it's a great game. And if you are a Dr. Who fan, it is definitely worth it. There are elements in this game that are unique to all Williams/Bally machines for sure.

#8 5 years ago

Absolutely solid game. With or without the show. I just recently started catching up on some old episodes.
I enjoyed the game when I had not watched any Who whatsoever.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'm looking at buying a very clean Dr. Who but have never played it. Is it a good fit to any game room?

I love this game (don't own) but am not sure it's for everyone. I found it very difficult at the beginning and it drained on me a great deal. (I have the same issue with Pinbot which I refer to as "Drainbot".) However I've spent quite a bit of time playing Dr. Who over the last couple of years because I love the theme (no such thing as too much "exterminate") and have gotten much better at it. I still don't understand the rules fully (heck - I don't completely understand the TZ that my husband and I have owned for more than a year). But I really enjoy playing.

If someone is a casual player (e.g. guests) and not a Dr. Who fan, then would likely gravitate to other pins in your collection ahead of this one.

If you buy it and don't end up liking it - drop me a PM. Seriously.

#10 5 years ago

Def worth owning

#11 5 years ago

Yes. great game. The ones I've played are always very fast because the playfield is so open. It kinda reminds me of pinbot a little bit actually with how the locks and center targets work.

#12 5 years ago

I had one, kept for under a year, sold it….Pretty fun, but a bit repetitive…If you can get one for a good price, go for it!

p

#13 5 years ago

Well, I can't argue with the masses. It seems I am going to seal the deal on this one. Thanks for all the reply's guys(and girls)!!

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Well, I can't argue with the masses. It seems I am going to seal the deal on this one. Thanks for all the reply's guys(and girls)!!

Good decision!

#15 5 years ago

It's a great game where you can have different strategies or goals. I've owned one for years now, and I don't even consider for a second selling it!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I'm a huge fan of this game.
The game is simple yet complex at the same time.

Simple to get multiballs and there is no wizard mode.
Yet there is tons of strategy to obtain a high score such as picking the right doctor or going for video mode or completing W H O loops or getting your pf multiplier up before a MB.

Ball times are pretty short and outlanes can be vicious.

I've never seen the show but really like the pin.

#17 5 years ago

My I don't want to sell it price is 4k FYI...............
Should give you an idea about my value on it!
Mine is at least very nice!

#18 5 years ago

Time expander > visor

#19 5 years ago

If you are going to buy it, buy it at the right price. Just about any game is fun for a while, DM didn't last too long with me.

You activate video mode, then get your multiplier up, then run through video mode, then multiball and who loops.

Execution is a lot more important than strategy, it's a very linear game. There is a reason it goes in the low 2's though, it's very shallow.

Like BSD though, what it does it does well. Just not a keeper for me.

#20 5 years ago

I love my Dr Who I bought from a fellow pinsider (Prowlerman99). He posted it for a great price on the forum and I was fortunate to snatch it up. I have to work out one Opto error on the time expander currently. I watched the show as a kid and got it just based on the Sci Fi theme but I am finding I enjoy it more and more as I play and figure it out. My wife as a casual player loves getting the time expander multiball and battling the Daleks.

#21 5 years ago

Make sure the Time Expander works. I like it because it is difficult. Kind of a love hate relationship. I am not a huge Dr. Who fan. My buddies loved the show and I ended up watching the shows with them so I know the storyline.

#22 5 years ago

Great game! Great music, and a badass unique toy. I love the Time Expander!!! The upper ramp is kinda like Stern Star Trek's Warp ramp, but with a trap door so it can go to the upper or lower flipper.

#23 5 years ago

Im not a Dr. Who fan at all. I owned one for a few months and sold it to fund another pin. I do miss it and wish I had kept it longer. It does get repetitive but a great pin none the less. You have 9 pins so it will go great in your collection. The ramp is great and the time expander is a lot of fun. Great call outs. Massive Jackpots and thats the most fun. Trying to get the Max Jackpot is the most satisfying shot in this pin.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Make sure the Time Expander works

I'm pretty much buying it unseen. I bought games from the seller in the past so I trust it is clean and works. Thanks for the heads up.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I'm a huge fan of this game.

Barry Oursler and his team were the very best IMHO.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oursler-underappreciated

#26 5 years ago

I personally won't buy a pin I've never played unless it is a screaming good deal and I feel really good about it. As for Dr. Who, I don't care for it, but my wife and daughters love it.

Chris

#27 5 years ago

Decent game but disappointing to me because I expected a soundtrack full of Who songs and for some reason there aren't any on the machine. You can bet I won't get fooled again.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I personally won't buy a pin I've never played unless it is a screaming good deal and I feel really good about it.

This makes total sense. Of the 12 games I have owned(Ive sold 4), I have only test drove 3 before purchasing. Yes, I had to do some repairs on a few but anything is fixable on a pinball machine. There really isn't the best selection of games in my area so I end up shipping a lot of pins. Life in the fast lane I guess.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Decent game but disappointing to me because I expected a soundtrack full of Who songs and for some reason there aren't any on the machine. You can bet I won't get fooled again.

Agreed. Who was my first machine, what was second and I don't know was third.

#30 5 years ago

I love Doctor Who and would never get rid of mine.

#31 5 years ago

Great game for both the novice and expert. I love the rule set based on which doctor is selected. I've had mine in my collection for the past seven years and I never plan to get rid of it.

#32 5 years ago

I may have got the last "deal" on one when I got mine about 1.5 years ago.
They're all 2k+ now from what I can tell.
I dig it, fun for the average player and up, not so good players will get frustrated, but a good type haha.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

it seems like that's the price point where the game has to be an outlier(condition wise) to gather that high of a price. That's just my regional obstervation.

#34 5 years ago

And let me just say the fact you can purchase a "very clean" example means something. A good number of the machines have obviously seen some good route time (their initial intended purpose) and cabinet fade is common. The mini-playfield may have some damage on the front, but you could see about installing a Cliffy to cover that and/or purchasing a reproduction. And to quote the 1st Doctor, "just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine." Buy the machine!

Brad

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

And let me just say the fact you can purchase a "very clean" example means something

yes, this is important. They usually are heavily faded and have wear on the front edge of the pf by the time expander. I'm sure there are other wear points but i seem to see those two things pop up right away on every one i see.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I may have got the last "deal" on one when I got mine about 1.5 years ago.
I dig it, fun for the average player and up, not so good players will get frustrated, but a good type haha.

You never know this is where I got mine a month ago...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-in-va-project-gnr-and-dr-who

#37 5 years ago

I have a HUO one

#38 5 years ago

Awesome game! One of the very few games I miss from my past collection.

#39 5 years ago

Had one for ages, it's a good, tough game (for me). Full disclosure: I was a fan of the show before the game even came out. If you can get it for a good price, you won't have any trouble moving it on if you don't like it.

Don C.

#40 5 years ago

Near the top of my wish list, in case anyone's tired of theirs. I do get the impression that the time expander can be high maintenance, though.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Simple to get multiballs and there is no wizard mode.
Yet there is tons of strategy to obtain a high score such as picking the right doctor or going for video mode or completing W H O loops or getting your pf multiplier up before a MB.
Ball times are pretty short and outlanes can be vicious.

Perfect summary. Mine is HUO, is in excellent condition & works flawlessly. It's a long term keeper for me. It has the two best qualities a pin can have: Fun to play & great theme. And it's easy to understand for those house guests who get easily intimidated by pinball. Go for it!

#42 5 years ago

Love mine. The Time Expander may be the single best toy/mech in pinball. When it's firing up and down in MB, and Davros is screaming at you during davros waves, it's pretty intense.

The ramp multiplier that multiplies everything is so important too.

#43 5 years ago

He isn't a "Dr."

It's a fun game for sure...if you can get over the Sonic Boom being so valuable and play the rest of the game it could be fun to own.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He isn't a "Dr."

Right, he isn't "a" Dr., he is "the" Dr. The genuine article, you might say. We get that word from him, you know.

#45 5 years ago

Great game.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from dbellAZ:

Near the top of my wish list, in case anyone's tired of theirs. I do get the impression that the time expander can be high maintenance, though.

I was pretty intimidated by the Time Expander but my buddy sent me an awesome guide.
I can email it to anyone interested.
It's pretty easy using the guide

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I was pretty intimidated by the Time Expander but my buddy sent me an awesome guide.
I can email it to anyone interested.
It's pretty easy using the guide

I will take you up on that PM sent thanks as I need to do some work on mine!

#48 5 years ago

Curious, was it really just that single board issue or did you need to do more to get it up and running?

#49 5 years ago

I own a Jackbot and love Dr Who. Any of you Dr Who owners out there own a Jacbot or Pinbot and a Dr Who? I really want a Dr Who but feel it might be too similar to my Jackbot.

#50 5 years ago

Just saw the thread. I go back and forth with the machine. I will say that many non-pinheads love it when they come over and it is usually as popular as TSPP.

Personally I think the multiball mode is one of the best of pinball on this game for a couple of reasons: it's obvious what you have to do and it integrates the DMD well. It becomes increasingly difficult to get the next multiball going and with a multiplier racked up you can get some major points but that loop ramp is tough to keep nailing. Typical Oursler outlanes on this one so nudge when you have to.

Other than making sure the expander works properly I will say the biggest issue I've had have been the target optos, I've replaced them all but silly reflections have been causing me issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside