(Topic ID: 205952)

Is DMD "outgassing" or "degassing" really a thing?

By SmokeandLights

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by SmokeandLights
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I just got my first DMD (Doctor Who, awesome game!), and in looking at parts for it, I've seen quite a number of posts for DMDs for sale that claim the display is starting to "Degas".

I understand how an Alpha-Numeric display can outgas, but that's different tech. In my mid, DMDs are just made of LEDs, and shouldn't suffer from this problem.

So what is it? Am I mistaken about the architecture of DMD displays, or are these people just ignorant of what failures are actually occurring in their displays?

Also, how does Burn-in occur on these displays? I've seen pics of DMD displays with burn in, and I guess I don't understand how LEDs would do that.

#2 1 year ago

Those aren't led's! They are little plasma dots!

#3 1 year ago

Dmds are made of plasma gas not leds. Only modern games are led.
    Modern sterns low voltage led. Original dmds are high voltage gas.

If you want i have half a dozen outgassing dmds sitting in the closet waiting to go in the garbage I could sell you

#4 1 year ago

No, there are two types. The older DMD displays found in late 80's and 90's pins have plasma DMD's. These are prone to degassing, and to some extent, burn-ins. Newer DMD's usually consist of LEDs. These might get slightly less bright over time, but should not really fail over time.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from FreeBee:

These might get slightly less bright over time, but should not really fail over time.

I've seen many led dmds have a led go bad and then a whole row always stays slightly lit. It's become g more common even in low play huo games.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I've seen many led dmds have a led go bad and then a whole row always stays slightly lit. It's become g more common even in low play huo games.

Ok, I was talking about LED's in general I guess. Didn't know they could fail like that. Thanks!

#8 1 year ago

Orange DMDs are exactly the same tech as orange numeric or alpha numeric displays just in a different shape. Instead of text segments you have an array of dots. High voltage is applied to a plasma gas to cause it to illuminate and glow orange. These tend to go bad and get burn in after 10 or 15 years of heavy use. The HV driver for the display usually goes bad way before the display.

The newer Stern games with red displays are LEDs that use low voltage to illuminate the dots. In theory these should last a lot longer, but the quality of the LEDs used leave a lot to be desired. Some displays fail within months of first being used.

#9 1 year ago

I had a guy ship me a game.

When I turned it on the first time, it was badly outgassed. Took a full minute to warm up.

He tried to tell me this happened in shipping like I was some kind of moron.

That’s impossible. Plasma dmds outgas over time, not instantly. And there’s no going back one it starts.

As far as I can tell there’s no “gas” in a led dmd. But they seem to have other issues, like the weird “horizontal Stern Line” you see sometimes.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for the info. I learned a little bit today!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 30.00
    $ 62.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 445.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 495.00
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 339.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside