(Topic ID: 324153)

Is Dielectric Grease Helpful On Ribbon Connector Contacts?

By PinbotForBob

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jpinb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinbotForBob:

I'd appreciate anyone's input, on whether or not using a tiny amount of dielectric grease on ribbon cables and other connection points is at all recommended.

No, makes a mess. Some people use tweak or other contact enhancer, but really, replace the connector like ForceFlow says. It's just worn out.

We use dielectric grease at my job for connectors that are exposed to road salt and other chemical hazards, as well as temperature extremes, and it's a higher current than the ribbon cables are.

I did mess around with using it on stubborn bulb sockets. While it did 'work' - it was REALLY messy when you went to change a bulb. Never again.

FWIW, the people that weren't used to it at work when they pulled the module out, they weren't too happy about the greasiness on their fingers, either.... so I asked them why they were holding the module at that point. It was literally a 1/2" portion of about 1 foot wide, and not in the middle either.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

But absent those issues, dielectric grease is just going to make a mess and potentially interfere with conductivity.

It would if it didn't get scraped away when you push the connector on (as designed). Of course, if you have a connector that's already not gas tight like the OP's ribbon connector, it might not scrape away enough, and it will still not make a good connection.

The old rule of thumb is never expect a chemical to correct a physical issue. Now that I think about it, the other contact enhancers are probably the same thing, just a more watery one. It's not like they are conductive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-dielectric-grease-helpful-on-ribbon-connector-contacts?tu=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.