(Topic ID: 93540)

Is Diamond Plate good enough for home use play?

By jfh

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jfh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have an original Williams NOS Diamond Plate Whirlwind PF that I want to use to do a playfield swap.

Do those of you that do PF work suggest that I have someone further clear coat the PF or is the original DiamondPlate coating likely enough to handle light/normal home play?

#2 9 years ago

Way more than good enough.

#3 9 years ago

For sure. All Those extra layers of clear is overkill !!

#4 9 years ago

DP is very durable. As long as the inserts don't need to be fixed you will be fine. My BOP had a DP playfield. The only issues after years of being routed and then years of abuse in a home(the guy never even removed the glass), were a couple of worn insert edges where they lifted.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought, but I appreciate the confirmation!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Way more than good enough.

agreed, way more then good.

#7 9 years ago

Yep, you will never wear it out at home

#8 9 years ago

A lot of NOS play fields aren't perfect, either from the factory or how they were stored. If it's not perfect, I would send it out to have it touched up / fixed, and once you do that, I would clear coat it.

#9 9 years ago

DP itself needs nothing further, but as noted, check out the PF's, and the inserts carefully first, as if there is any sign of cracking clear around them or raising, this is the time to have it rectified. It's not a matter of clear, just issues.

A lot of NOS PF's lurking around at this time were seconds that were rejected for one reason or another by Williams.

#10 9 years ago

Only reason to clearcoat would be if the playfield needed some repair. DP is nothing more than a type of clearcoat so technically, you already have a clearcoat.

#11 9 years ago

Technically, non DP'd playfields are adequate for home use. Many of them survived fine on route for many years with cleaning and waxing.

Clearcoating is necessary to lock in repairs or rework. Many playfields need this to fix inserts that need leveled or have cupped, etc.

#12 9 years ago

Let me put it his way-if you can wear out a DiamondPlate playfield with home use....YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!! Your Whirlwind's playfield should be just fine. Use a little Novus#2 when it gets dirty and you'll be good to go.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

A lot of NOS PF's lurking around at this time were seconds that were rejected for one reason or another by Williams.

I'll have to take a close look at mine - it's been wrapped up since 1998. I'm pretty sure I got it directly from WMS, do I would hope it's not a second.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-diamond-plate-good-enough-for-home-use-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.