(Topic ID: 227570)

Is Dialed In this generation's Twilight Zone?

By Doctor6

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

good-good-let-the-hate-flow-through-you-13858771 (resized).png
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Having played this game for the first time at expo last night, I have to say I am floored. I was prepared to buy a batman66, and sadly for poor batman I played dialed in right before it.

DI is packed with almost too many toys. It's insane. It reminded me of how packed TZ is, and it got me thinking. Is this the new classic that TZ ended up being? It has so much going for it, but I wonder if that's just a giddy first impression, and of those toys' excitement will fade over time?

#2 5 years ago

Missing the iconic theme. If it was rebranded as Toy Story you might have an argument. (JJP please do this!)

#3 5 years ago

I have one. It’s my favorite game. Agree that it is this generation’s twilight zone.

#4 5 years ago

No, it's this generation's Dialed In. This generation's Twilight Zone is still Twilight Zone, as evidenced by the fact that the prices are about the same as Dialed In.

It's a great game but it does seem the theme was a bit of a mistep. I don't think it's ever going to be warmly embraced by the public and pinhead community.

#5 5 years ago

DI is a very fun pin however, agreed with Butch2099 & CrazyLevi that it's missing the iconic theme that TZ offers.

#6 5 years ago

So we are still hung up on the theme, I see.

#7 5 years ago

Some say it is, but what does that really mean?

I think it is this generations Dialed In.

If calling it this generations TZ makes you pull the trigger on your purchase, nothing wrong with that!

#8 5 years ago

Whether us old people like it or not, this generation doesn't know what the fuck "Twilight Zone" is.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Whether us old people like it or not, this generation doesn't know what the fuck "Twilight Zone" is.

Everyone has their own unique story. I have only been on here a year. Basically a noob. TZ is the first pinball game I really learned how to play because that is what my buddy had. Fantastic game.

#11 5 years ago

Honestly pirates feels closer.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Waiting patiently for it to show up. Hope it lives up to the hype. Haven't played it since last years expo...

#13 5 years ago

I only have 50 games on it.

But I prefer it to twilight zone.

#14 5 years ago

i'll let you know when they sell 15,236 units !

#15 5 years ago

Big mac's sell more than filet mignon, doesn't mean it's better.

#16 5 years ago

I sold my TZ to buy it. It is Lawler's 2nd "Do anything you want when designing this pin" machine. TZ was his first. So I guess you could call it this generation's TZ. Especially since "this generation" is represented so well in the design i.e. Cell phone, Selfies, drones, "Participation Awards", lottery tickets, holograms etc.
My favorite pin so far.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Pirates reminds me so much of TZ. Just packed with stuff. I agree with you totally.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

This generation doesn't know what fuck pinball is, either, so the generational discussion is moot anyway.

There are still more TZs on the planet than there ever will be Dialed Ins.

I'm not sure what you are getting at but there basically is no "this generation's TZ."

People need to stop trying to compare today to the 90s in pinball. There is no comparison. It's apples and oranges, completely different circumstances that do not apply to each other.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I was hung up on the theme until I decided to buy a Standard model after only playing a few games on location. I got a decent deal on it and figured I could look past the theme. I was completely wrong. The theme is rich and well implemented. I especially appreciate all the references to the great 90's pins that Pat designed. It really does feel like a quirky 90's DMD game with features, toys, and speed appropriate for this generation of pinball machines.

Overall, this is a great pin. It's too bad people are so hung up on the cell phone aspect of it, which is less apparent after spending some time on the game.

#20 5 years ago

I compare DI much more closely to Addams Family than TZ.

But sure, it's the closest thing this generation to those. Has a lot of the same charm and some good wow moments. Theme is pretty cool and unique once you get into it. Not the best ever, but not bad by any means. It's got character, I'm not turned off by it. It's got a little more depth than than TAF or TZ, but not so much that you don't know what's going on. The sounds and light show are spot on, for me at least. I think it's a great effort that's perhaps slightly hindered by a non-universally accepted "cool" theme.

Random thought, but isn't it cool how the phone rings and you shoot the scoop to answer it? Makes something as simple as a scoop seem like something bigger. Theme integration. Kind of like shooting the vault in Addams, just a scoop but very satisfying as it's a secret kind of scoop thats not normally available to hit.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No, it's this generation's Dialed In. This generation's Twilight Zone is still Twilight Zone, as evidenced by the fact that the prices are about the same as Dialed In.
It's a great game but it does seem the theme was a bit of a mistep. I don't think it's ever going to be warmly embraced by the public and pinhead community.

And yet, the continueed sales and players prove you wrong again and again.

Visited two large pinball arcade bars in the past week for reseach and sure enough, DI is prominently featured and getting played consistently. Get out from the limited city mentality once in a while and you would see that DI continues to do very well.

#22 5 years ago

Yes, sold my Twilight Zone for a Dialed In LE as it felt like a true successor to TZ. I owned a TZ for nearly 10 years and never thought another game could make me sell it but Dialed In did. Very impressive game.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

And yet, the continued sales and players prove you wrong again and again.

I thought I heard that DI sales were sluggish. Is this not true?

#24 5 years ago

I wouldn't trade my TZ for a Dialed In for sure. TZ never gets old even though getting to LITZ is not that hard or complicated. There is a lot to do in that game.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I thought I heard that DI sales were sluggish. Is this not true?

Everything I have heard and seen is they continue to sell consistently and sales have gone up, not down...

I am seeing more and more end up with both collectors and on route?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Having played this game for the first time at expo last night, I have to say I am floored. I was prepared to buy a batman66, and sadly for poor batman I played dialed in right before it.
DI is packed with almost too many toys. It's insane. It reminded me of how packed TZ is, and it got me thinking. Is this the new classic that TZ ended up being? It has so much going for it, but I wonder if that's just a giddy first impression, and of those toys' excitement will fade over time?

Dialed In got me fired up about playing pinball again.Hell my 22 year old son plays it.
Dialed In>BM66 All someone has to do is play both and you’ll agree.This is actually more fun then TZ.I agree TZ is probably more like Pirates.I don’t care for super long ball times.

#27 5 years ago

It’s definitely a grower, but having DI and TZ side by side at home, I don’t think I would ever sell TZ. They are quite different in the modes and I think both games are incredibly awesome - but I still think TZ is the pinnacle. It’s not the theme, it’s the variety of the modes in TZ. But DI has outrageous variety too. They’re both outstanding. TZ is TZ, DI is DI

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s definitely a grower, but having DI and TZ side by side at home, I don’t think I would ever sell TZ. They are quite different in the modes and I think both games are incredibly awesome - but I still think TZ is the pinnacle. It’s not the theme, it’s the variety of the modes in TZ. But DI has outrageous variety too. They’re both outstanding. TZ is TZ, DI is DI

Right on brother!

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

And yet, the continueed sales and players prove you wrong again and again.
Visited two large pinball arcade bars in the past week for reseach and sure enough, DI is prominently featured and getting played consistently. Get out from the limited city mentality once in a while and you would see that DI continues to do very well.

Huh?

Christ you are one-note. I LIKE Dialed In.

I'm trying to figure out how you wandering into two Wisconsin bars and seeing Dialed in makes it "this generation's TZ," but like musing on most of your pontifications, it just made me feel dumber.

LOL @ "continued sales and players." Uh yeah, that proves me wrong again and again!

Wrong about what I have no idea...

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Huh? but like musing on most of your pontifications, it just made me feel dumber.

In his defense you were saying dumb stuff before his post.

#31 5 years ago

I don't understand why TZ would be compared to DI, it's not like Pat Lawlor only designed two games in his life. TZ was a breakthrough because it brought toys that were never seen before, it also was one because of the time of its release, like an ultimate statement to the glorious days of pinball.

DI is a great game, but comparing these 2 specifically doesn't make much sense.

#32 5 years ago

Is NASCAR this generation's Rollergames?

Must be. I've only seen it at one bar in Wisconsin and sales and players have slowed.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Huh?
Christ you are one-note. I LIKE Dialed In.
To suggest there will ever be "this generation's TZ" is a moronic, as is the whole concept. I don't blame you for grasping that as the original idea makes no sense, but you could at least try reading?

lol. Subtlety is you forte.

#34 5 years ago

Don't know but I like DI much better than my brothers TZ. I thought the DI's at the Expo played great as well as the Pirates.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I had Dialed IN LE for 5 months, I sold it to buy BM66 and I could not be happier with my decision (that was 1 year ago)

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I had Dialed IN LE for 5 months, I sold it to buy BM66 and I could not be happier with my decision

BM66 must be hella better then when it came out!I was shocked by how stripped down it was.I guess Lyman did a Lazarus on that bad boy.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

BM66 must be hella better then when it came out!I was shocked by how stripped down it was.I guess Lyman did a Lazarus on that bad boy.

Yep Lyman is giving it his treatment and it is becoming a masterpiece, BM was a box of lights for nearly a year after its release.. it is truly a special game now.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I had Dialed IN LE for 5 months, I sold it to buy BM66 and I could not be happier with my decision

I'm sorry, lol. Just joking, glad you are enjoying Batman. That game has come a long way since release in regards to code. If I can find an HUO premium I may pick one up.

#39 5 years ago

I have TZ and DICE. Yes they are both great pins, that are loaded with everything.

TZ is an extremely special and great pin. If you have a really nice one, don’t get rid of it. It’s extremely expensive to refurbish, and it’ll never be remade.

DI is definitely one of the best shooting and fun pins to play. I was one initially, that didn’t like the theme. But once I played it a couple dozen times. The theme is last thing I’m thinking about.

I feel that they are equally great pins, and play totally different from one another.

At this time I don’t plan on letting either one leave my collection.

#40 5 years ago

DI is more like a next generation Earthshaker on steroids. WOZ is more like TZ and TSPP had a next generation widebody baby.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

DI is more like a next generation Earthshaker on steroids. WOZ is more like TZ and TSPP had a next generation widebody baby.

I liked Dialed In, play it on location when available but don't care to own it. However I do own TZ and don't plan on selling.

Speaking of Pinball babies. Sometime I feel my like my Sega pins hooked up with one of my JJP's and made my Alien pin...

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

...more like TZ and TSPP had a next generation widebody baby.

Is that what my TZ and TSPP are doing in there when I'm not home??

#43 5 years ago

Tz was my favorite pin and i owned it for 3+ years..... however i sold it once i got my dile. Di flows awesome, has amazing light show, tons toys, 3 lcds, excellent code thats about to get even better and lots of other features. Sometimes i miss tz but jjp is putting out amazing pins imo and it was time to move on to better pins.

#44 5 years ago

To me its woz. Infact seems like many shots are the same.

#45 5 years ago

No....TZ is TZ... Pat's magic AND a theme...

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I was thinking the exact same thing, there are few different generations of people on this site. I guess you’d have to say this generation of games to be more accurate.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I was thinking the exact same thing, there are few different generations of people on this site. I guess you’d have to say this generation of games to be more accurate.

I dunno, I'm 34 and I grew up watching old TZ and James Bond films with my dad. I think most people would generally be aware of Twilight Zone at least conceptually through pop culture references if nothing else, no? I can't say I've ever seen an episode of the munsters but I'm aware of it. When does the F Troop pin drop?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If it’s in my home and I’m living with it? Hell yeah. DI while a fun pin, is not for my collection. I just can’t get past the whole stupid cell phone crap on it.

Obviously theme AND gameplay, integrated well, is what’s called a dream pin to me.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

If it’s in my home and I’m living with it? Hell yeah. DI while a fun pin, is not for my collection. I just can’t get past the whole stupid cell phone crap on it.
Obviously theme AND gameplay, integrated well, is what’s called a dream pin to me.

Couldn't have been said better !!

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I had the same knee jerk reaction about the theme and odd looking "dude" in the middle of the PF.

Like many things, I changed my tune after playing it for weeks and thinking about the original theme (so many of us were clamoring for an "unlicensed", original theme). One of the hallmarks of a great original theme is capturing the tech/culture of the day. When viewed from that perspective, Pat & team nailed it. I realize you might not appreciate iPhones, however most of the world is addicted to them and that's exactly what an original theme should shoot for...reflecting the pop culture of the day (like so many great pinball machines did back in the day).

snaroff

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-dialed-in-this-generation-s-twilight-zone?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.