Is Dialed In this generation's Twilight Zone?

(Topic ID: 227570)

Is Dialed In this generation's Twilight Zone?

By jorant

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

good-good-let-the-hate-flow-through-you-13858771 (resized).png

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 months ago
Quoted from RTS:

Yes DI is.
I deliberately used the word "too" in my prior post so it would be clear.
Just being pinball puts it on the nerd side of the cool scale.

Yeah, that’s for sure. I thought you meant “too” as in addition to not “adding any street cred,” they are also nerdy too (in addition), excluding DI. Antecedent error. Hey, I remember my high school English!

I was seriously thinking about getting another DI to try longer than a month, but played one over in Portland at Ground Kontrol last weekend and still can’t quite slay the beast on this one. Must be my issue. Love Lawlor games and it is right in the same family as FH, RS, TZ, etc. Maybe my expectations were too high out of the gate. But TZ for me, always highly rated, has a timeless quality. I think it will be timeless in 100 years. Shoot, Jordan Peele is even doing a reboot:

#102 4 months ago

I really like DI, but its no TZ

TZ is the only remake that I would actually for sure buy if they make it

#103 4 months ago
Quoted from libtech:

I really like DI, but its no TZ
TZ is the only remake that I would actually for sure buy if they make it

Rick at PPS told me over a year ago that they aren’t gonna remake it as it’s too complicated and so many were made. If they change their mind, it will be a while. But you can get a great example for less than what a remake would cost right now if you keep your eyes open. It’s a far cry from the $3k I spent in 2002 on my first one, but they are out there.

#104 4 months ago

Dialed In just received a huge update that I think will help cement the game as one of the best pins of all time. Ted Estes has done an incredible job with the code on Dialed In, just like he did with Twilight Zone. TZ will always be an amazing pin but Dialed In feels like its successor thanks to 20+ years in technology, animation and ruleset advancements. Much of the main team that worked on Twilight Zone worked on Dialed In which regardless of which game is considered better is pretty damn cool.

#105 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Dialed In just received a huge update that I think will help cement the game as one of the best pins of all time. Ted Estes has done an incredible job with the code on Dialed In, just like he did with Twilight Zone. TZ will always be an amazing pin but Dialed In feels like its successor thanks to 20+ years in technology, animation and ruleset advancements. Much of the main team that worked on Twilight Zone worked on Dialed In which regardless of which game is considered better is pretty damn cool.

That might push me back right there. Then I’ll be posting how awesome it is!

#106 4 months ago

Dialed In just received a huge update that I think will help cement the game as one of the best pins of all time.

LOL People will say this till the next generation of collectors say their new games are the best ever made same shit different generation

#107 4 months ago

It's funny how so many people are afraid to turn in their "man card" with this game and can't look past two cell phone side modes. It's not a children's or effeminate game, it's just goofy. The character of Dialed In is in the same vein as Road Show, Junkyard, Attack from Mars, Funhouse, and other greats of the previous era that actually had cartoony humor - something that's been seriously lacking in the past 20 years. I find it a nice change of pace from rock band, movie, or horror pins.

To each their own, I guess.

#108 4 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It's funny how so many people are afraid to turn in their "man card" with this game and can't look past two cell phone side modes. It's not a children's or effeminate game, it's just goofy. The character of Dialed In is in the same vein as Road Show, Junkyard, Attack from Mars, Funhouse, and other greats of the previous era that actually had cartoony humor - something that's been seriously lacking in the past 20 years. I find it a nice change of pace from rock band, movie, or horror pins.
To each their own, I guess.

No problem w my "man card", just don't like the game, and saying it's the " new tz" is ludicrous... I'm glad some like it, but it will always be DI, NOT TZ

#109 4 months ago

Whether or not you like the game, it's hard to deny that it shoots great. Lawlor is probably the best designer in the modern era, and DI proves that he hasn't lost his touch.

#110 4 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Whether or not you like the game, it's hard to deny that it shoots great. Lawlor is probably the best designer in the modern era, and DI proves that he hasn't lost his touch.

Definitely agree with that...

#111 4 months ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It's not a children's or effeminate game, it's just goofy.

Its both of those things but theres nothing wrong with that, I wouldn't want every game to be dark and.........well maybe I would.

Quoted from Allibaster:

something that's been seriously lacking in the past 20 years. I find it a nice change of pace from rock band, movie, or horror pins.

You say that like its a bad thing, please let me know of these horror pins? I want one.

#112 4 months ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

You say that like its a bad thing, please let me know of these horror pins? I want one.

You own one - The Walking Dead.

#113 4 months ago

No

#114 4 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Rick at PPS told me over a year ago that they aren’t gonna remake it as it’s too complicated and so many were made. If they change their mind, it will be a while. But you can get a great example for less than what a remake would cost right now if you keep your eyes open. It’s a far cry from the $3k I spent in 2002 on my first one, but they are out there.

Damn missed that one, oh well - I've owned a few TZ over the years, but a NIB one would be sweet

#115 4 months ago

TWD isn't horror, not to me anyway. I would consider it drama first and foremost. No one has made a horror pin yet. Its like saying Cactus Canyon is a Western theme, ofcourse it is but to me a Western theme needs to be dirty, gritty, intense. The good the Bad and the Ugly. to each his own.

#116 4 months ago

IMO, horror themes:

TWD
BSD
Frankenstein
Haunted House
Alien

That's about all I fan think of.

#117 4 months ago

Isn't Rob Zombie considered a horror theme?

#118 4 months ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

TWD isn't horror, not to me anyway. I would consider it drama first and foremost.

Isn't drama kind of.... effeminate? (I kid)

There's also Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle, Rob Zombie, Monster Bash Remake, and soon Elvira3 and Munsters. There's a lot to choose from in that category, new and old.

Of course, if bashing zombies' heads in with weapons in an apocalyptic world doesn't tickle your fancy, I don't think anything in pinball will satisfy your bloodlust. You're a hardcore guy, Hazoff!

I guess you’ll just have to stick with “drama”.

#119 4 months ago

I'm not buying anything that takes surreptitious photos of me sucking at trying to play (or use) it.

#120 4 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I'm not buying anything that takes surreptitious photos of me sucking at trying to play (or use) it.

The latest software has an option to hold down the right flipper as you start a game to disable the camera.

#121 4 months ago
Quoted from Billy16:

also comes with a camera cover if you are that insecure.

#122 4 months ago
Quoted from rai:

also comes with a camera cover if you are that insecure.

Was just interjecting an attempt at humor, thanks for your lame comment.

Quoted from JWJr:

The latest software has an option to hold down the right flipper as you start a game to disable the camera.

Thanks for the info, that is a nice option.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,000.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside