(Topic ID: 168489)

Is Dave Christensen still around?

By xsvtoys

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SquareBackglassForShop (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image.jpeg
    image-3 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Its difficult to find information about him. I think he is still with us although I am not sure. I don't know how old he is.

There is this web page:

http://www.kensmurals.com/Dave%20Christensen%20pinball%20line%20artist.htm

I don't know if that is still active or real. It says that you can contact this guy and he knows The Man.

After my first year or so getting into the hobby, I have learned a lot about him and I have 2 machines with his artwork, and have looked at many others. He is nothing short of an idol for me - his artwork is simply fantastic in my opinion. I just can't get enough of it and would have no problem making a pinball collection that just featured his work.

If he is still with us and even still has his skillz left - WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE GET WITH HIM AND COMMISSION HIM TO DO THE ART FOR A NEW MACHINE!?!?!?!?!

That would be EPIC

#2 7 years ago

Yes. Alive and well. Sort of well. He usually attends every other Expo. Get a copy of the book: "Mad Dog and his art" that's all about him.

#3 7 years ago

Glad to hear that. Well, it would be cool to go to the Expo and meet him, that's for sure. His name is listed on this year's expo website, but not with a confirmation that he will be there, it justs lists people who have been there previously for the autograph sessions.

If anyone is a fan of Giger I recommend the film Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World. It is waaaay out there which of course you would expect if you are a fan of his art. But one of my favorite parts was towards the end, when he is very old and attends a show and signs autographs. What an amazing scene to see all these people (mostly young) lined up to meet him for 5 seconds and get an autograph. Many of them have full-on tattoos of his artwork. The reverence they have for him is amazing. One big muscular guy with the black clothes and the tattoos and all is brought to tears after meeting the master. Ha that would probably be me. Hey that reminds me, I better go out and get one of those Christensen girls tattooed on my chest.

#4 7 years ago

There's a lot of little known names involved in pinball's past that aren't recognized for their contributions. I was wondering about Pat McMahon who did art for some great looking mid 80s Ballys and 90s B/W games. I would love to get an autograph from him on my City Slicker backglass.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?ppl=pat+mcmahon&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago

Dave did a new piece for Pinball Inc earlier this year. Hopefully something comes of it.

Quoted from VGC1612:

''Pinball Inc has commissioned the legendary pinball artist David Christensen to do the artwork for a pinball backglass. This is the pencil drawing he submitted to us this week. It is amazing that he is in his seventies and can still do such detailed work.'' Not know if its for their own gameroom or for a future project
    https://www.facebook.com/PinballInc/photos/a.311873845571952.72252.246443058781698/972771312815532/?type=3

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Dave did a new piece for Pinball Inc earlier this year. Hopefully something comes of it.

Wow that is beautiful. Well I guess that answers that question - he still has it. It would be awesome to see that sketch developed to full fruition.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Wow, he has not lost his touch!

#8 7 years ago

I have Power Play, Mata Hari and Fireball II, all w/art by Dave. My fave pin artist. So much better than the stuff we have now.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

There's a lot of little known names involved in pinball's past that aren't recognized for their contributions. I was wondering about Pat McMahon who did art for some great looking mid 80s Ballys and 90s B/W games. I would love to get an autograph from him on my City Slicker backglass.

Pat was one of our industry guests at Midwest Gaming Classic near Milwaukee this past April.

-Mark

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yes. Alive and well. Sort of well. He usually attends every other Expo. Get a copy of the book: "Mad Dog and his art" that's all about him.

Thanks for the info...going to check into it

#11 7 years ago

He's got my vote

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Dave did like the nipples for sure.

#13 7 years ago

My favorite artist by far. I have Capt. Fantastic, Wizard, Old Chicago games and Power Play, Air Aces, Fireball, and Mata Hari backglasses on the wall. He is terrific. He was the guest of honor at Expo a couple years ago for dinner with about twenty of us. Greg Kmiec was there too so had a chance to discuss all of those great EMs they designed and "artified"... Hopefully he'll be back this year.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Dave did like the nipples for sure.

Apparently it's rather chilly in Dave's world.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

Pat was one of our industry guests at Midwest Gaming Classic near Milwaukee this past April.
    -Mark

Shoot. I missed him. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open.

1 year later
    #16 6 years ago

New artwork revealed at Chicago Expo '17 for Kingpin (Capcom). The had a limited run of 13 backglasses for sale.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

New artwork revealed at Chicago Expo '17 for Kingpin (Capcom). The had a limited run of 13 backglasses for sale.

Any pics anywhere? I presume it was built on that awesome sketch that was shown above. Was The Man there this year?

#18 6 years ago

Here is a photo of the new Christensen Artwork. We had Dave sign them all at the Autograph session on Saturday.

Paul

SquareBackglassForShop (resized).pngSquareBackglassForShop (resized).png

#19 6 years ago

lucky enough to get #1 of 13

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

lucky enough to get #1 of 13

I think we have less than half of them left now.

#21 6 years ago

Can they be bought and shipped? I will buy one.

2 years later
    #23 3 years ago

Does anyone have an idea of his age?

#24 3 years ago

Mid-late '70's

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

[quoted image]

Can I get a good scan of that Backglass? My City Slicker backglass was destroyed when the game fell off a truck from one of the previous owner. I’ve got it all fixed up and together again and the last piece will be a backglass.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-dave-christensen-still-around?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.