Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
20141018_185458.jpg
image.jpg
Benedict.jpeg
image-37.jpg
wall_street__1987_.jpg
There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

There is nothing that I would rather be working on than an Audi.

There is nothing I would rather not be working on than a Toyota. That is why I own one.

#102 9 years ago

I totally agree, BMW Evolution is a better pin to work on than Tales of Congo.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is nothing I would rather not be working on than a Toyota. That is why I own one.

I have found Subarus to be just as easy to work on, well, on the rare occasion I have had to work on mine

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have found Subarus to be just as easy to work on, well, on the rare occasion I have had to work on mine

Subaru!!!

#105 9 years ago

Volcano !

#106 9 years ago

Bacon!

#107 9 years ago

i'll see your bacon and raise you two eggs!

#108 9 years ago

I'll see your bacon and two eggs and raise you an english muffin and some hollandaise sauce.

Benedict.jpegBenedict.jpeg

#109 9 years ago

I think we can all agree , eggs Benedict are awesome .

#110 9 years ago

So are hash browns.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

I think we can all agree , eggs Benedict are awesome .

Best I ever had was in Milwaukee.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So are hash browns.

Hell yeah !

#113 9 years ago

so when is the invite? i am hungry.

#114 9 years ago

I love Congo

#115 9 years ago

I love bacon!

#116 9 years ago

akin for bacon

#117 9 years ago

I love her.

#118 9 years ago

Anyone interested in trading their TOTAN for my Congo, send me a PM. Straight up trade, each party pays shipping per game.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I love her.

image.jpg

Isn't that wolfmarshes lady friend?

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Isn't that wolfmarshes lady friend?

If it is, he's a bastard. In a good way.

#121 9 years ago

So if a craigslist ad came up for a totan or congo, with the totan being 3 times the price, i bet the totan would sell first. Better have a toyota to pick it up with cause the bmw and mitsubishi will be in the shop being worked on and the guy is the subaru will be in the drive through buying bacon and eggs.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

So if a craigslist ad came up for a totan or congo, with the totan being 3 times the price, i bet the totan would sell first.

I'll take that bet all day any day . 3K for Congo VS 9K for Totan . Congo wins hands down !

#123 9 years ago

That's my old TOTAN!
Didn't come with the lady though

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

So if a craigslist ad came up for a totan or congo, with the totan being 3 times the price, i bet the totan would sell first. Better have a toyota to pick it up with cause the bmw and mitsubishi will be in the shop being worked on and the guy is the subaru will be in the drive through buying bacon and eggs.

Good call.

I have to take issue with guys saying euros are easier to work on than Jappers though. Never met a mechanic who has said that. In fact, half the guys I know refuse to work on euros at all.

You can do a cam belt on any japper in a few hours (Subaru are the hardest) whereas with my MTM Audi A4 (the first and LAST euro I owned) to change the cambelt required you to remove the whole front end off the car. Crazy. The Audi dealership charge it out at two days work. At $100 an hour. Ouch.

I know a guy who owns a heap of BMWs, they are always breaking down and costing him a fortune. But he always spouts how great they are. One day his 7 series broke down on the approach to the Auckland Harbour Bridge and he caused a huge traffic jam that blocked the bridge for two hours ... And he STILL says its a great car!!

If my car did that, I'd take it to an empty lot and burn it.

rd.

#125 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I know a guy who owns a heap of BMWs, they are always breaking down and costing him a fortune. But he always spouts how great they are.

BMWs are the shit if you buy a new one every 20K miles .

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I have to take issue with guys saying euros are easier to work on than Jappers though. Never met a mechanic who has said that. In fact, half the guys I know refuse to work on euros at all.

You've met me . Not a Mechanic though , I do Body work ( so that is where my point of view comes from ). Although I still don't mind doing mechanical on the German cars either .My issue is with the hardware used on the mitsubishis, it's garbage and when taking one apart it's likely that more than half the bolts will snap . Body panels are paper thin also and stretch and tear too easy and can be a real bitch to straighten .Unibodies are shit .
New parts never want to fit right . Colors usually suck to match also .

Quoted from rotordave:

A4 (the first and LAST euro I owned) to change the cambelt required you to remove the whole font end off the car. Crazy.

Yep done more than a few , but the front ends come apart super easy on A4s , and when it's gone you have total access to the timing belt , You can see everything right there in front of you perfectly . Yes it may take a bit longer (and seems crazy) but it more makes sense ( at least to me) to be done in a way that gives you so much access to everything . No trying to jam your hand into some small area . On Audis its very easy to get something as important as a timing belt into the proper position without breaking your wrist to do so . And can still be done in around a few hours . Last one I did was my mom's 2002 A4 , took me around 3 and a half hours to do and I enjoyed it .To each their own , I prefer the euros . Just my 2 cents take it or leave it .

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The Audi dealership charge it out at two days work. At $100 an hour. Ouch.

Those are the guys that buy Totans. Us Toyota guys can live with a Congo.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Those are the guys that buy Totans. Us Toyota guys can live with a Congo.

Yeah man!! I have the coolest Toyota I could afford.

rd.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from rushfan:

the guy is the subaru will be in the drive through buying bacon and eggs.

I think you have your sterotypes messed up. The guy in the subaru is eating granola, smoking a doobie, and busy banging your hot hippie sister on some amazing hike in the backcountry

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from Quiddity:

Anyone interested in trading their TOTAN for my Congo, send me a PM. Straight up trade, each party pays shipping per game.

I'm Frax, and this message has been approved.

#131 9 years ago

Haven't driven one but I think the Subaru BRZs look nice. Outbacks are terrific one pin haulers. Never owned one but i'd get one over a VW any day. I had a diesel Jetta that had nothing but problems and right before the warranty ran out, the high pressure fuel pump decided to shatter and take a trek throughout the fuel system.

At first, the dealership tried to say I had water in my tank and it wasn't covered under warranty. Well I made a call to corporate and got that cleared up. If I would have had to pay out of pocket, the repair would have been just north of $9500. It turns out, it is a known problem and is caused by the low sulfur content in the diesel in the US. They put the same part back in. VW refused to acknowledge the problem and will not redesign the pump. Well I traded that car as soon as I got it back. I'll never own a VW or Audi after that.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Haven't driven one but I think the Subaru BRZs look nice.

That is a Toyota with a Subaru boxer engine , cool car.

#133 9 years ago

Enough car talk.

More congo talk.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Enough car talk.
More congo talk.

But, but, I want to talk about TOTAN now.

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think you have your sterotypes messed up. The guy in the subaru is eating granola, smoking a doobie, and busy banging your hot hippie sister on some amazing hike in the backcountry

Quote for Truth

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

TOTAN feels like you pay more, but you end up with a shallow game.
So for me it's more like Scared Stiff. Great looking game, awesome theme, good sounds, etc etc. Just not super deep. So I'd pay Scared Stiff prices for it, but not above.

SS is a good comparsion, and it's not that far off the price of a TOTAN these days given with the same condition. Not only just the game play, but also the asethetic apeal, theme and sound..etc determine the demand of a game while the supply takes care the rest of the market value.

Here is a nice $7500 TOTAN which got sold recently. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tales-of-the-arabian-nights-williams-1996-1999#post-2371175

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

SS is a good comparsion, and it's not that far off the price of a TOTAN these days given with the same condition. Not only just the game play, but also the asethetic apeal, theme and sound..etc determine the demand of a game while the supply takes care the rest of the market value.
Here is a nice $7500 TOTAN which got sold recently. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tales-of-the-arabian-nights-williams-1996-1999#post-2371175

I think SS sells for at least $2k less than TOTAN in similar condition.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think SS sells for at least $2k less than TOTAN in similar condition.

Oh no, I'm not so sure about that. they are a lot closer than you think.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-scared-stiff-bally-1996

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/scared-stiff-for-sale-yes-its-teds

#139 9 years ago

Both should be worth a Congo in my eyes...~$3000

#140 9 years ago

Seriously, how much longer can TOTANs sell for $6k+? Is it it really worth $7k to have in your collection for awhile looking pretty before you sell it and hope to recoup?

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Is it it really worth $7k to have in your collection for awhile looking pretty before you sell it and hope to recoup?

There are several pins I'd say that about, but TOTAN isn't one of them. Different strokes...

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I've got myself a SS, a TotAN, a Congo and another 9 machines.... SS is by far the game I like the best, followed by TotAN.... I think both games are way much better than any new Stern pinball..... in Brazil a TotAN is worth at least 2 Congos..... and you must admit.... what appeal the Congo theme has?

20141018_185458.jpg20141018_185458.jpg

#143 9 years ago

BTW..... I still drive my 96 Ford Ranger STX V6 tuned to almost 220 HP with 295/50 R15 tires..... FORD rules!

#144 9 years ago

If congo had a better theme it would be worth as much (personally I like the theme since the book is fantastic, but the movie kind of blew)

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

TOTAN is a gorgeous game, but it's way overpriced. Is anyone really getting $7500 for them like I see them asking? That price makes me

How can an artist think TOTAN isn't worth every penny!

It's definitely not the most exciting player, but the artwork, ramps and theme integration are almost universally loved by pinheads. It's also one of JPop's best. Only 3k made.

I owned a gorgeous Congo and let it go after 6 months. Loved the cabinet artwork and volcano shot, but the title was "meh" and Amy is goofy. Lower play field was goofy.

From my perspective, TOTAN is worth more than Congo.

snaroff

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

How can an artist think TOTAN isn't worth every penny!
It's definitely not the most exciting player, but the artwork, ramps and theme integration are almost universally loved by pinheads. It's also one of JPop's best. Only 3k made.
I owned a gorgeous Congo and let it go after 6 months. Loved the cabinet artwork and volcano shot, but the title was "meh" and Amy is goofy. Lower play field was goofy.
From my perspective, TOTAN is worth more than Congo.
snaroff

I agree with this.

I mean, the market has set the price for TOTAN, and that price is high so there must be a reason for it.

Congo is the better playing pin by far in my opinion. But the theme kind of sucks, especially Amy call outs, and the lower PF is stupid. But the shots in the game are fantastic, especially the Volcano shot.

So despite thinking Congo is the better player, I would never argue that it is worth anywhere near as much as TOTAN.

#147 9 years ago

Yeah, I would rather own a Congo, especially in a small collection. In a large collection, having a TOTAN for the beauty and novelty would be nice. Turns out that money and space are more important than novelty is to me right now.

#148 9 years ago

TOTAN is a really beautiful game i have played several different Totans over the years they never left me wanting more. More like don't see the big attraction.Fun enjoyable yes just not over the top.I think the skill shot ruins it for me that wire form thingy just screams cheap making the plunger shot uncomfortable. Congo i have only ever played the one i own, as they are few and far between. Its is one of my favorite games and all who come over and play it, seems they change their opinion in favor of the game. I am sure its not for everyone but has everyone had enough time on it to give it a chance? If you ever get the opportunity to play congo don't pass it up it just may change your opinion as well. And it not only has a skill shot it has a super skill shot, and who can argue with midnight madness ?Are these two games = enough to each other? maybe not. But i wouldn't trade my Congo for a TOTAN. Would i own a totan someday? hell ya! just my 2 cents.

#149 9 years ago

Congo wins in layout code and price.

TOTAN wins in overall look sounds and theme.

In a small collection or if budget is a factor go with Congo.

In a 10+ collection go with TOTAN.

I do think that TOTAN is overpriced. It's a 5-5.5K game unless it's stunning has a lot of extras.

#150 9 years ago

TOTAN is worth having just for the awesome sitar music during the bonus , if you got a ton of lamp spins during that ball the sitar is really awesome .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 36.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 119.99
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-congo-now-worth-a-totan/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.