20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 5 years ago

A lemon it is definitely not....took a bit to get it solid, and wish they hadn't done a few things (USB connectivity for the boards is the biggie, now that PETG plastic sets can be had on occasion). It's not a game for the timid due to lack of spare parts, no schematics, etc., but can say it absolutely blows away anything else I own...if it were to ever have gotten a few polish code updates, along with final engineered hardware revs, nothing could touch it. Mines very, very functional and a blast to play in current state.

Very fortunate to have acquired some amazing, fun games over the years (love them all), and then there is Alien...is what it is.

( can't vote as I have no idea)

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Simple solution stop listening to the spoiled brats podcast.

Completely agree, and much more than a "spoiled brat" mentality. Toxic, which makes it oddly appealing for some to listen too, which then further feeds the need for attention.

I remember many of the old threads before he was perma banned.....we all hoped he would grow weary of his new found pinball hobby...no such luck..

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

First a rumor is just that a rumor I give Kaneda credit for putting them out there. I give him credit he says what’s on his mind even if it is against the overall group think of Pinside. A guy like Kaneda is good for the hobby a personality who’s program is entertaining as well as informative, take the information for what it worth sometimes spot on sometimes not. I have listened to other podcasts and it’s like a high five fest. Every game is great, every company is great, our podcast is great and everything in the hobby is great as long as overall Pinside opinion agrees with it. Most podcasts are nothing but a snooze fest. So I hope Kaneda continues to put rumors out there, puts his opinion out there and is entertaining with his podcast.

Couldn't disagree more. Kaneda has very little interest in our hobby, and certainly not the reason he started the podcast.....he's getting what he truly wants/ needs...attention....that's it....done talking of him...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Alien is great. Aliens is great. The others are garbage.
Is Aliens better than Alien? The debate will rage on forever, much like Terminator and T2.
I think push comes to shove I'm an Alien and T2 guy.

agreed.....

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You gotta hand it to James Cameron for making two amazing sequels to beloved classics, many years after the originals.

No doubt....saw Alien and Aliens in the Theatre upon release....Alien scared the shit out of me.... Classics in their own way.....good times...

#291 5 years ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

Ive purchased from them. It was a good experience.

Mike=Automated=has in stock, great guy!!

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Moot point. I can’t buy from them if they won’t return my call lol.

Very, very odd...They always answer...you can reach his daughter if he's not around

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Mike and his Company are the best in the biz.
Please PM me with your issues. Hopefully we can help make every customer happy!!

I've pm'd him as well...

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

... if this Pinball it is indeed a real project by CGC, both of you will have to fight to see who’s the real ALIEN

Ha...Nah, just means if they do an amazing job w this version, I'd potentially have to think about adding it ...Mines not going anywhere...won't use the dreaded word, but can say it's probably my favorite theme that I could ever imagine for a Pinball...

1 week later
#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Minus the crap ton of money they owe a lot of people.

I remember having a thread on this year's ago...Think the $$$ was around 39k ( including my $1500) that pinsiders were owed for deposits. No idea what manufacturers, workers etc. # really was.

The only thing that could make my machine better would be knowing that somehow everyone was made whole ( or close, anyway).

Only way that would be possible is if a new run/version of Alien was made, with a company that cared of such things. For that reason, I really hope Doug's ( not Chris's, btw) info is correct.

Hoping? Yes....Think it happens? I have no idea... probably a long shot...

#415 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I dont see this pin ever being remade. Maybe a completely new redesign and layout, but not the Heighway. The "current" alien is one of the best in my collection, but requires tender care and love. Maybe too much at times, Im thinking about getting a divorce.
Oh ! and plus it fell on top of me and broke my leg.. definitely thinking a divorce.

You've had a rough go, for sure......

I think it was brought up early on that while the final rev of the game is quite solid, there are still things to "finish" on engineering side, and with no factory support (or even a schematic) can certainly be a bit daunting. There have been other titles that were released in far worse condition, but they had a factory support team to sort through the bugs, update the mechs, etc.

Mine has become quite reliable (nightly player), but spent substantial time under the hood initially to get it that way (still a couple odds and ends on the "to do" list). Extreme over engineering on one hand, extreme oversight on other. Given the extremely small # that actually are final runs living in the US, a new version would be cool to see, so others could get to play/ own one....

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LOL. Winna chicken dinna!
Levi is scared though . He won't commit past the tequila bottle

Thread getting fun....I'll be hitting some Taylor's regardless how it turns out...

Having an AlienR w features described means I'll need that one too...original will never decrease in value for why I got it...an amazing Pinball experience and theme second to none.

Seriously doubt $$$ would ever drop too much more than any other game out there regardless....years of Pinball fun on this one for me...

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

There is nothing that great about the pinball game. I mean yes, its got this awesome scene for multi ball, great voice overs, awesome movie clips, I love, love the power loader fight.. its really not that great. Just forget it even existed.

Umm...I beg (insist) to differ here...

#505 5 years ago

I wish someone would make a legit Predator Pinball at some point...the only true compliment to Alien.....dream team!!!

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Then make them head to head somehow!

How good would that be!!! I believe Doug (don't particularly like Chris), so will plan accordingly...

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone clarify for me what Chris said? I have not listened to his crap ever since he set up fake social media accounts impersonating me.
I have had mutliple people now reach out to me and say that if Aliens does not announce on or before April 18th 2019, that Kaneda is getting my name tattooed on has ass and also quiting his podcast for good? is this a bet he made?

If we get a new Alien AND Kman done, moves to another hobby, the pinball universe is once again right...don't care about the tat, as I certainly don't want to see it....

#514 5 years ago

Yes!!!! Instant buy from a legit company..

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I wonder if anyone "Changed their vote"?

I just added mine to the "yes" side. Having more people able to experience this game in a finished build state would be awesome.

If the cab art is awesome, and a couple other things done ( get rid of the plastic f**king apron already) I'm in for one to sit next to my LE. Modern Pinball history w one of the most ( if not the) badass machines out there...

Needs to be released to the masses...

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don’t you think a winking Alien is a little too camp for this dark theme?

Funny as shit!!! Hopefully a typo, as Alien doesn't wink, only kills, in a variety of ways..

#536 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

You say racoon? Nothing to do with this thread but this guy (in the pic) stole my phone! This happened last week in Tampa, FL and then he wanted to box me as the pic shows! Talk about Rabid! Ice has a way to go to be this guy!
[quoted image]

Let him have your phone...that thing will kick your ass!!!

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Oh I know. It's what I get for smoking I went outside (hotel) at 10pm and set my phone and soda on garbage can (behind coon in this pic) and went to lite up my cig and he started walking towards me so I wasn't having it and jumped in my rental car to escape his crazy a@@ only for him to jump in garbage can and knock my phone down but then he took it (McD's bag was near so he was confused) , luckily he dropped it and I was able to get it back! Glad it was my personal phone and not my work I woulda had a hard time explaining that a racoon stole it to my work! For the record never seen a coon stand like that with nothing around it, it was crazy!

they seem cute enough until you corner one....shit!!! Witnessed one pretty much kill a full-sized dog years ago....whew!!

Your story is funny as hell (now)..can imagine the terror..thanks for sharing that one!!!

#543 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Oh I know. It's what I get for smoking I went outside (hotel) at 10pm and set my phone and soda on garbage can (behind coon in this pic) and went to lite up my cig and he started walking towards me so I wasn't having it and jumped in my rental car to escape his crazy a@@ only for him to jump in garbage can and knock my phone down but then he took it (McD's bag was near so he was confused) , luckily he dropped it and I was able to get it back! Glad it was my personal phone and not my work I woulda had a hard time explaining that a racoon stole it to my work! For the record never seen a coon stand like that with nothing around it, it was crazy!

Pulled this post up again a couple times today, and just couldn't stop laughing!!!

I think this thread needs to stay focused on racoons until anything real pops up!!!

#544 5 years ago

Another pissed off raccoon!!! Love it!! Must have thought he was a flying squirrel or something....too funny!!!

#546 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Best one I've seen:

Excellent!!! raccoon fix for the evening!!!

#551 5 years ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

intriguing
[quoted image]

Whoa!!! This is a positive something, for sure

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

It’s announced !

??? Where..

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

He only announced that he is going to the gym.

Nice....Any new raccoon videos? Need something of substance here..

#588 5 years ago

Thanks Lloyd!!! The thread is definitely worth following now...

Epic!!

2 months later
#715 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The current cabinet is partly awesome and part pita.
The proprietary design allows the cabinet sides to glow with light and the artwork panels can be swapped. Some can’t get past that things are different and some complain the removable sides are too narrow.
However, this design falls flat in regards to how the playfield glass is held in place. Rather than sliding the glass into a channel like all other pins, the glass is attached to a large metal frame that must be positioned atop the side rails and then latched down. The problem is the entire weight of a widebody glass plus the frame is heavy and the assembly is awkwardly large.
Positioning and locking the glass down once is fine, but if you’ve removed the glass and gone through the process a hundred times, you’ve probably cursed a hundred times. Given a choice, I’d still pick the Heighway cabinet design, just to celebrate something different. If it was offered as an upgrade option I’d buy it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The glass magazine actually works great in my case...While heavy, I can lift it straight off, as I don't have room to slide glass all the way out in traditional form.

Once you get used to it...pretty convenient, and no constant worry of smudging the glass.

Think art on the cab would be amazing, but glowing side panels are quite unique and killer if game is displayed properly.

1 week later
#740 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

If LTG says no, then it's no.

Agreed. Nail in that one....would think Pinball Bros. would be the ones to release a different version of the game...have no idea at all who would do this stateside...

2 months later
#802 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Needing to become a proficient Alien tech is the only reason I started coming to pinside. Yes I own too many games, my apologies. Unfortunately this is about the only game I have encountered to actually Not Have A Workshop Manual? ... WTF?
My experience clearly differs to yours in some way or another. Doesn't feel significantly different to nudge to me at all, no different than any other monsterously heavy widebody. Matter of opinion, obviously.
Yeah it is very different to nudge than a cardboard stern cabinet, of course, but to me it nudges with the same degree of stability as my TZ ... I am at least comparing similar weight machines.

I've got mine next to WOZECLE, and across from my TZ. They all feel "heavy" when nudging, etc. and equally stable. I'd be curious how Alien would look and play in a Williams style widebody cab. Suspect pretty similar if all that changed was the cab. Don't really care, as I like mine, and wish others could get one..

2 months later
#853 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Saw that delt31 put his Alien up for sale, maybe a sign that we will see a remake in 2020?

Nah....he moves alot of games....all good...nothing to see here....

10 months later
#883 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Couldn't agree more. They've got to prove themselves, show some credibility and long term commitment ... hopefully they've learnt from their previous attempt and equally I hope potential buyers have learnt and proceed cautiously.

Looks like just teasing (aka generating some interest in the market), so who knows what's planned (if anything) ...

Agreed..must remember it was Heighway, not PB that attempted to get Alien out in production form (PB was only part of the puzzle).

CGC (per Lloyd) directly stated they had no interest in remaking.

The "new proto" has been circulating for around 2 years - W/B wide body, side art, no center screen, etc....probably just gauging interest, but need a legit manufacturer w deep pockets to make it happen.

JJP almost tanked, then an investment group apparently jumped in.

Heighway was not that fortunate. I look at my original invoice on my LE from Heighway....they would still be selling them if he could have got it across the line.

The problems w early Aliens is they were built from crap to try and fill an empty $$$ tank

The final run was relatively trouble free, and bugs would have been long worked out if he could have kept the company afloat. Didn't happen...is what it is

Looks like an effort to gauge interest. That's about it.

#887 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

JJP burned too much and couldn't afford to run things at the levels needed to get to the black. The money was the bridge to span them until they had the titles and volumes. They made mistakes, but for the most part were running as a business you'd expect.
HWP was cheating everyone trying to bubblegum his way to a final release. It was a house of cards. HWP was closer to a JPOP then anything like a JJP. HWP tried to rob peter to pay paul, etc.
One company would have failed due to lack of success... the other failed due to bad leadership.

Nah, they both fail in similiar fashion, imho. People were circling JJP's building back in the day w the "WTF" and people were in deep. The game came out virtually unplayable, w monsterous problems. They were chewing their share of bubble gum as well. Had to lose crazy $$$ getting the game right. They were fortunate, staying the course.

In their defense, they stuck it out, found the $$$ and some great people, to right the ship (to current state).

Heighway was circled, but mostly dark stateside. Hell, the US team (one of the best assembled) didn't even know what was going on. A much, much different audience, however. No one knew what was really happening. When they ran out of money, no where near the avenues of relief. No bridge for them, so the scramble turned into deception and desperation. Truth is - how many pinball machines are actually made overseas as opposed to the US? Can't imagine Andrew's trips to the bank or wherever he tried to find the funding.

I'll never defend them, and was terrible what happened to all the people that didn't get paid, deposits lost, etc.

One got the bridge and lived, the other did not and tanked. A Jpop pie in the sky comparison doesn't apply.....stick him w Kevin.

This is a story of $$$, or lack thereof, pure and simple.

#897 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Not my recollection. Besides the lighting board revisions (try, try, try again..) and the limited Mirco playfield issues it wasn't a basketcase at all. 'unplayable'?? Never. Lighting boards being out.. yes.

Your recollection fails you. Playfields were actually fine back then (hmm), but there were many issues beyond the lightboards....this is not a JJP bash post, I love the company, especially after they got staffed proper. But acting like they didn't have near death blows getting things going is just silly.

Heighway's failure had everything to do with naive leadership and poor choices. Nothing $$$ couldn't have fixed. Andrew had the passion and vision for Alien as the strongest of any other manufacturer. There were some geniuses on the team. They had made the Bacardi build, and picked a woeful first title. If he had picked Alien first, I suspect this story could have had a very happy ending. He was a desperate businessman, and took desperate measures...none that can be condoned or excused. Money never matters until you don't have it.

I know (knew) many insiders in the camps, believe it or not, and yes, if the game was made over here w better visibility, it could have killed. I'll simply pose the question of geography to anyone (it's already been answered) - How many people are going to buy this VE if it's not made by an established company in the states? For better or worse, just sort of is what it is.

The final build of Alien is not "woefully in need of an overhaul". Far from it, and plays as reliably as any of my other games. Facinating shot geometry, and an A/V package that hasn't been approached by any other pin I've seen. You cannot be in tune to the game with that statement. While the connectivity issues and minor things could have been handled better (serial lighting, power woes, sound familiar?), a company with proper funding could have hired the personnel needed to work the issues out.

Anyway...all irrevelant chatter. This thread lives in my "TRON VE" catagory, but will be fun (maybe) to watch things unfold.

Out of this one for awhile.....must enjoy the time off while I have it.......

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from bounoun:

I was always in the assumption that people who paid HP and did not get their machine eventually got one by PB? Is that not true?

Negative, except a few very early refund requesrs. Lost my deposit ... sheer luck that Kenneth was close when the final container never was filled .. he was owed games and hooked me up for a second time Probably a free for all w very, very, very few of those ever finding their way to the states. Grateful to him for his efforts.

Had an old thread w how much $$$ Pinsiders had lost...ended up around $38k, but obviously alot more was lost.

#936 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I think it is not luck that Kenneth got a final container load of pinballs (including this special 426); the owner of Free-play is one of the owners of pinball brothers and is connected to him; don't know the details however.
This story from Kenneth that he was grateful to Andrew Heighwway for giving him the games I'm not buying personally; I think it was the PB management that decided he got the games (my feeling; I have no facts on this).
Anyway, in the end it is good for the community in general that more games are finding their way to new owners; may result in some more members in the club, which is good!!

Agreed...the " luck" part was for us across the pond, who were destined to never get one of those games directly from the HW factory as that was the end.

The more that have them, the better!!

#938 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

How many are there about around in the US? 50-60? Any numbers on that?
In Europe they are pretty easy to find, but mostly LE's, the SE is more rare.

I think of that container ( bound for CT) less than a dozen to start...over time, more have migrated...just a guess -around 25 LE's and 50 or so of the early standards.. only the shadow would know I suppose...but have heard the whole lot was around 200 for everyone...PB surely made some "NIB" LE's after HW was done w all the parts that were around for $$$. No company to really document anything, so we can only guess. ...

#939 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

My understanding is that Kenneth was one of the larger buyers of Alien, lost a ton of games, and was given some of the last games to honor his commitments. He has broken even from what he told me.

That what I was told...

#974 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I can see how that’s annoying as you designed the art there, but in practice, the LCD is great. I went in skeptical with it, and now wish it was integrated into more games. Provides more immersion into the game, never need to look up, in addition to more lighting to the surrounding area.

The actual design of the game always had the PF LCD Screen. Large BB monitor was an add option, later adopted to the norm. Think there are a few of the full backbox translites in the thread somewhere.... (think that would have stung more)

#976 3 years ago

Without Aurich and the rest of the US team staying the course not even having a game, Alien never makes it in any form, period. Their passion was unmatched.

I'm grateful for their efforts and re-affirms the fact that lacking a US manufacturer, this whole topic is sort of dead.

No sense reliving the past....

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The Pinball Brothers aren't situated in the States?

Negative....

1 week later
#1168 3 years ago

And if only they'd actually created a dedicated support division for the original (given PB own everything ) then they could have refined and released anything they wanted (wait, weren't there rebranded boards and these claims made the last time?). Maybe even a schematic or 2. Imagine - a "WCM edition" (Williams Cabinet Edition), electronics rev "2.1" to non serialize the lights, etc. could have emerged. Then refined Aliens could have been had by anyone who wanted one. ALL pinball machines have problems upon release. Alien was left to die, pure and simple. No factory to give a shit, except harvest and build from the parts. Some amazing, outside individuals identified the flaws, and selflessly helped to get the games solid. Mike had sorted the overbuilt sensors and I/O boards years ago.

Removed mechs, enhanced electronics? Sounds very familiar....one company stayed the course, refusing to give up, and proved the investment valid to some group, creating a true cornerstone pin. The other - bastardized the game, while amazingly, "LE's" were "readily available" in Europe after the factory had closed. Tags mismatched, missing, etc. how odd (?). Containers of stuff have obviously run out and time for cash. Can't make this shit up.

The "amazing VE" remake has been around 2 years..nothing new. And as far as preorder $$$? I politely declined 2 years ago, as well. This, however, has yet to materialize to anything. The only support ever offered to existing owners was, uh, zero. It magically changes how? When they show the few that have been built, definitely $12k, a new saga unfolds. Maybe a T-shirt for my voucher (I've got all the receipts).

My machine plays as reliable as any other I have and never leaving. They all could have (except the early trash dumped in the US early which still floats around).

More Alien machines in more hands is good for pinball. A company of merit will have to build them however...I hope that can happen someday.

My rant, my opinion, and hopefully keeps me from reading this craziness for awhile.....

#1173 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I love how the early games get shit on. Yep, they have issues

I don't say that to degrade your efforts (I admire them quite a bit), just merely a point as to why the game was never received well over here.

Only had experience w one early machine, and after intensely keeping up w the "keeping 3 species alive" thread ( 3 different early builds, one of which they abandoned). Crazy work went into some of those. I think there were 2 batches of those (?) that continue to haunt some new owners.

The game I have is remarkably stable AFTER doing several key things to it, which a manufacturer would have done if they would have stuck with it....that's the only point I was making.

You've always gotten props from me (that and a dollar gets you a burger I guess)...

1 week later
#1310 3 years ago

When people can come to grips w the fact that Alien's problem wasn't the machine itself, but rather the company (or lack thereof) stepping up and supporting it, working out the kinks, etc. then clarity is achieved here.

Having CGC make this (original thread title) would have been really exciting.

Maybe I'm missing something, but would rather see posts/ pics of a factory for assembly, support structure (name dropping), etc. than what is being shown now.

I'll just hope for the best at this point....

#1314 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nah, the product (and not just the shell of a company behind it) was still a problem. 'working out the kinks' as you put it is the elephant in the room. Choices made, platform designs, and others needed to be thrown out and redone. These were largely mechanical, electrical, and management choices that were all made in the UK and the US team had no control over. They had to work with what they had.
That's why I'm still hopeful they have purged their demons - because failing to do so won't let the title flourish as it should be able to.

Well that's why they are teases... When they launch the product hopefully they acknowledge more of that.

There were less than 200 games when everything went sideways. PB could have definitely worked the kinks out. The game itself simply doesn't have the "elephants" you refer too, warranting a complete redo to bring the title back.

I will hope a version w factory support gets released that more people can enjoy.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this topic. Nothing personal, but you're wrong..

#1322 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sorry, but the problem was also the machine's engineering or lack of. My launch wireform broke the first day, the machine wouldn't work so I had to rebuild the computer, the switch connectors were crap. Had to fix the tongue grab on the alien. Other problems, just can't remember off the top of my head.
That said - when it worked it was one of the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Just hope they take the time and spend the money to make it more reliable.

If Stern or JJP had a broken wireform, an improved version would have been sent. Happens all the time.
Bad electronics? We can visit early Spike revs from Stern....they fixed it.
Bad mechs or electronics on a JJP? They fixed it or removed it (think POTC troubleshooting thread alone is over 3k w massive subset...I own an LE and love it btw).

Constant re-engineering/ support from viable manufacturers is commonplace (and sometimes they still break) over thousands of games/ titles. Alien= 0.

The lack of support is what failed the game, not the other way around.

The games needed factory support and had problems. There was never even a schematic available. Owners had to sort things on their own.

I'm working, and truthfully treating this as an ongoing speculation thread, hence my interest. No time or desire to rehash the past. My game is as solid as any in my lineup currently. Is what it is.

We all want to believe...I know I do....

#1418 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What were the original price of the machines when they sold years ago?

I had my LE on order w Heighway direct for $7500.00 back then. The suspense and reveals were outstanding...the rest? Well, turns out you actually have to make these games and stay with them...that part never made it in the updates...

#1468 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Just like MM before the remake. The hype has always been bigger than the game.

Would agree this is a true statement on pretty much any new game currently. This is not like the MM/ MMR path however. That one had a pretty predictable, happy ending.

We can hope for the best....that's about as far as I can take it.

#1472 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

My point is MM was more highly sought after before the remake. It's not the trophy game it used to be.
If the Alien remake is successful, the mystery, prestige of home ownership and inflated prices will follow the path of MM.
They're still both great games. It's the hype that will soften.

Agreed.....the "If" part is the biggest unknown that will not be truly unveiled tomorrow.

In total truth, I could have lived without alot of the mystery and prestige in exchange for schematics, parts manual, and factory support...

#1544 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

The apron is centered properly!

The apron on the original was " centered" properly, just cheap plastic.

Look at TronLE, TZ, and a multitude of other games.

Orientation is to the playfield flipper geometry, not the cabinet...otherwise you start covering up things

It is nice to see metal on this one..

#1551 3 years ago

At least not a $1500.00 deposit..

Man, do I hope these really get made and supported...would be awesome!!

#1559 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

My original apron is centered to the game but not the flippers, as you know!

Not an apron thread...look at the games I mentioned and it will make sense ( maybe)...

#1561 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey yeah.. whats the guarantee this is real? Haven't we been through all this before?

Some of us....I hope for the best, and a strong chance I pickup an LE to go w my original when if I can put my hands on one...

Best of luck....out of this thread...

#2065 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If there is an Alien owner who is interested in compiling an actual list of bugs (with details like steps-to-reproduce), that could be beneficial info to provide the Pinball Brothers team.

I remember trying for a bit after Brian released 1.4, but generally only play 1 or 2 player games and really couldn't catch any. His magic on that rev pretty much minimized the LED flashes (really only noticable if your watching for it and much less frequent.

Changing the 12v power supply to a proper unit, along with proper lacing of the USB cables really made a major change, and has kept this machine running fine. Believe Mike (@timebandit) had almost broke the oddities in the I/O board, causing the need to disable the protection circuit (it's been a while since that was discussed though).

Anyway - More Aliens for more to play is a good thing for pinball. There is no way even 200 of these are living in final release/ stable format, so excitement is genuine (classic sci-fi horror theme that appeals to many). I want to believe.....badly. Hope to see flipping games and actual manufacturer support soon.

Doubtful anyone (even Andrew) go into these things with malice, but rather, passion and belief in the product. Clarity should certainly appear in relative short term (year or 2).

#2072 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

You've never seen the Xeno Jaw go into an endless scream loop at drain, straight after 3rd last Xeno hit?
Does this reproduce on your game?
I'm gonna have a crack at reproducing it this evening when I get back from work.

Nope....I was very curious about that mech, reading about horrors with early versions while waiting on my direct preorder .
Took mine completely apart when I actually acquired a game, even though it was working fine. Already had the new metal gear and cased jaw stepper motor in hand, swapped it out. Used white contact glue ( hear transfer) for board heat sink, a touch of hot glue on the micro connectors. Mine came w the keyed metal servo gear. Checked everything, reassembled, and have never had an issue w it.
Was concerned at first ( back to the " no factory to call if I got stuck" thing), but it's really not hard to work on.

#2081 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

This is razorsedge upgraded tongue. Note that PB are improving the gearing but agree that we need something like this (assuming PB change the inner mouth)
[quoted image]

That just looks great!!! Seriously want!!

#2117 3 years ago

Predator + JJP = instant buy for me...doubtful it ever happens though...

#2130 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

JJP is not going to do a pin with flayed humans or severed spinal cords.

Sad, but could be epic....agreed

4 weeks later
#2402 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Playing Devils Advocate - if you look at the OG Alien thread you can find people posting misgivings who got downvoted on principal by “true believers” in the early days of that too, because they didn’t want to entertain any other reality than the one they’d accepted, and we know how that ended up.
Weren’t Cointaker involved that time around too, as in they were the distributor but they got stiffed as well and eventually stopped doing business with them (Heighway) because of the false promises?
I think it’s possible to be both optimistic and guarded about this new pin, without dismissing the chequered history of the entities involved.
I hope it’s a success, as it’s a great theme and has great potential. People paying Cointaker currently are safe in so much as their deposits are, but I don’t think it’s prudent to get too carried away beyond that. We haven’t seen a functional pin yet, so it does still have that whiff of a kickstarter around it right now.

I could have been considered more than a "true believer" way back then, long before distributers were even brought in. Didn't downvote much, but got crucified for keeping hope alive, only to quit the "club" when the company tanked, leaving all pre-order guys like me screwed, watching a shipment of early, crappy games floating around the States to be taunted, flipped in our faces (ever seen an ad for an Alien pin stating it had problems? I haven't, but we all know better). Stocking parts made sense because who the hell was going to support us, ghostbusters? Sheer luck at the right time landed me a nice example, but of course no company to support it.

The popularity of this theme still speaks volumes (dammit, why won't someone do Predator)....look at the preorders despite the curtains. As an "OG" owner, not heard of a group concerned in fear of losing anything. If there is, I'm not a part. My game stays. Might even pickup a new one if/ when it actual gets made AND supported, who knows.

I'm too close to too many things to bring anything of value to this thread, but do watch it. I hope the games get made. I hope people can enjoy this new experience. More Alien Pinball is a good thing* (*)= tbd.

Off to fix one of my W/B machines that decided to cook one of the boards last night.....( all these damn games break/ need attention)

#2476 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

BTW ... since these GI towers got removed from the game, I'm glad I didn't waste time on this: I had an idea to do a "rotating beacon" lighting effect by shining all the GI "north", then all the GI "east", then all the GI "south", then all the GI "west", and repeat. (Yes, each facet was individually addressable.) Never got around to trying that out, but I've gotta think it would've looked cool.

That would have been amazing!!! Loader battle tied to the beacons still blows me away everytime I get to it!!!

#2521 3 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I think the original had lighted posts too didn’t it?

Nope - serialized light tubes for most GI.....almost identical to WOZECLE, which also suffered from dim lighting. There were some nice changes developed around the sling area to make the lighting much better for the originals (TimeBandit is a genious). I oddly like the dimmer playfield for Alien....fits the whole atmosphere...some basic, dimmable overhead lighting allows me to easily see everything.

In the pic they just showed - 3x lit starposts, as opposed to 2x light tubes in original. No matter in this instance, as they both are behind the APC drops, so more for effect than pf lighting.

#2583 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Why am I getting the impression that owners of the original Alien are getting pretty nervous and testy about their games value right now?

Have no clue, but you're wrong. People need to stop looking at the game and focus more on the manufacturing company (or lack thereof) that will make and support it.

There is zero relevance to a MM vs MMr comparison. They were (are) supported by viable companies. Worked through the hassles, and made the remakes w added features.

Alien's theme speaks volumes, but so does the lack (as in zero) support that was available. Gotta pay for the talent. Is what it is.

This speculation thread is already a tough read, and we're just getting started.

Spare me the warnings of tanking value of originals. The US barely even saw final run originals. I've been enjoying mine for quite some time now. More than paid for itself in enjoyment if I lost it tomorrow.

If PB honors half of what was stated at the "unveiling video", that's half more than what was promised/ delivered the last time.

And if you think there aren't some that haven't ponyed up more than 1k for this 2 year old rev......you're wrong.

I once again hope these do get made. Really don't have to trash original owners in the process however. So many "perfect" games flipped so many times to unknowing buyers. Getting new games out would end alot of that horseshit = a great thing. Let's hope the speculation ends in a good way. The game is too good to get screwed over.....again......

1 month later
#2864 3 years ago

Isn't the whole LV thing speculative? Didn't catch what it would have above and beyond this remake ( maybe I missed it, only pop in here on rare occasions).

I'd add the concern that if " everyone" is in on this LV, what provides the incentive to make a standard remake? Slippery slope as $$$ is going to drive the ability to make any of these in #'s that make sense fiscally (?)

IDK....would be fun to see more Aliens available for more to play.... that's my only hope.

#2875 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Once it's shown without the edits and there's feedback i trust, i'll decide whether to order or not.

If you're looking to Pinside for that info...best of luck

#2876 3 years ago

Wait!!! It's in you're collection already. You are holding out!!!!

(ok, enough for me in this one for awhile...on to playing the pins...)

#2993 3 years ago

Cab is actually plywood on all 4 sides, w MDF covering. When the magazine is in place it serves as a very stout structural element. Easily as strong as any other cab except where the plexi lives.( Thin routing on the top to facilitate).

I have 23 games and you can bet I found a perfect end cap to place my game, making it very prominent when all my other cabinets are actually dark. Innovative approach. Gorgeous.

Agreed that possible the biggest overlooked element is the 27" monitor on the back box.

People can argue the pf screen all they want, but it all added up.....the video editing on this game has no equal, and will never be realized by a single, smaller screen.

Physical ball lock a must? Shit, there goes my MMR, JJPPOTC, and several others out the door.

I WANT more Aliens in the world, but will not compare, as it's not really close ( except hopefully these can be attained at some point).

Very grateful there appear to only be a few " proto's" out there as opposed to a container and change that still flounder around here in the States. It's all most had to deal with.

Focus has to stay not on the game nor CT ( who everyone knows is amazing) but rather the actual Company that is going to build/ support this VE version.

I'll continue to hope and truly get/ understand the enthusiasm ( just have to believe me there). Seeing this, however, in no way conveys " Alien is alive". My 2 cents....

Added over 3 years ago:

"VE" = "Value Engineered" in this instance, not "Vault Edition" - a contractor phrase used in the industry to get it done for less $$$

#2995 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Despite what might be described as angst from certain pinsiders
[quoted image]

Your passion is admirable.....

#3001 3 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

JJPPOTC has the chest, which is a physically ball lock. However, I agree, not a requirement for a great game.

Good grief you are correct...my bad on that title ( and physical ball lock in the chest is awesome)...guess I'd have to replace w AFMLE next to go...not having the physical lock.

Bourbon night, so a toast for hoping a solid, supported, and readily available Alien is on the horizon....

#3024 3 years ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Anyone here with an original Alien pin have experience with editing the callouts? I'm curious if there is a way to "soften" the callouts and reduce the number of four letter words for younger players. I'd like to do this to my new Alien pin when I get it from Cointaker.

Family friendly mode in original, but not gonna stop the screen action. Mine gets turned off when grandkids come over

( sorry...saw this posted twice in front of me)

2 weeks later
#3157 3 years ago
Quoted from drypaint:Do you think its possible that PB and CT don't pay attention to this thread and are just going about their business?

Not a chance in hell. Doesn't mean they're obligated to reply however.

2 weeks later
#3283 3 years ago

Fun to see 6 Aliens in a row.....

Agreed, anxious to see " under the hood" .
Code had to accommodate magnet, physical lock, diff screen configuration, pf inserts,, etc. so had to be addressed.. Not sure that constitutes " better" or not.

BB empty except screen and speakers like before, so have to believe everything lives below.

Can't make it out in any of the videos or pics...are there actual rollover microswitches on the outlanes? Didn't see them...guessing the proximity sensors are still being used(?)

Believe @ averell is the only one that has toyed w adding, changing some audio/ video elements w Brian's help. PB doesn't work on this game tmk...could be wrong.

Anyway, fun to speculate what could be coming...the good side of this effort so far...

#3289 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

They are using induction/proximity switches that are more modular. On the video/audio, you are correct that Averell has done some great work on it, super talented guy, as well as Mik-ReadingUK. Some videos over on the og forum.

Hmm on the switches....I've got some of Averell's files ( shared and others) in my machine so familiar. Was simply referencing this wasn't done w pinball browser...

#3298 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I keep seeing/hearing rumors that there are additional callouts that weren't in the original? Can anyone confirm? Like I thought I saw someone mention something about Bill Paxton, was he in the original?

Bill's in original big time...

#3391 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are clearly cutting costs to improve margins. Smart move, but it shows.

Bingo!....more logic injected in the thread (finally). I don't get the speaker choice though. We all went down the 6x9 car speaker approach a long time ago...they jusy don't sound as good as round ( get the audio guru books out to read why).

Quoted from Chalkey:

The original alien playfields did have big problems with chipping and art loss but I think they were Mirco playfields.

Mirco yes, chipping and art loss? Wrong Pinball company. Skinny posts, center screen and all, the playfields are incredibly resilent.

Time to stop comparing and (hopefully) just be grateful there are new Aliens to play at some point. It's good that some don't care about the screens, lit panels, etc. of the original. Can't buy a new OG....they don't exist.

Surely now that some have paid in full, there will be real games to look at soon in peoples gamerooms or on location and a legit review.....

#3393 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I also highly doubt the more expensive version is anything more than cosmetic upgrades.
Maybe a legit backglass (hopefully)
Nice powder coat (hopefully)
Hi res, hi gloss cabinet art (hopefully different cabinet art too)
Oh and flippers that don’t feel like mush. Haha

Stop immediately!!!...too much common sense being applied..

#3397 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

MK6PIN I have seen a few with bad art chipping off at the scoop edge but never anything at the screen.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

My original definitely chipped at the screen, but not at the scoop. I mylared over the entire screen edge as soon as the first chip occured. Heighway was supposed to replace my playfield because it chipped within the first week of owning it, but...well we know what happened to them.

No doubt the possibility existed, but it was more the scoop itself not being seated properly on some games....everyone was very paranoid about the screen area chipping, but only recall it seen on a couple games, mainly because of the adjustment method ( poor). The screen itself cracking? Never saw that. All in the past now...

I think Alien got lucky w Mirco in that aspect, compared to what has been going on in recent years. Wasn't WOZECLE a Mirco?...I have one, skinny posts, still looks great.

Anyway, I wonder how you choose weapons on this version without the extra button? Will be cool to see what Brian sorted...

#3399 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The wiring of the pf screen was a high failure point too

Nope....connectivity issues=100% fail point and agreed. Issue was brought up....again, easy fix. Mini ribbon cable..

That, along w poor lacing of USB with strain relief accounted for the vast majority of issues w all the builds.

These were all due to lack of factory support, not the game itself.

Again, all in the past...let's see the new ones...

#3403 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Which is a fail point. It wasn’t just falling out but the cable was fragile, the casing/mounts did not support it and the junctions well... and many people had to replace their screens in part due to it.
High failure item due to how it was integrated.

Integration is my job as you're aware, as I'm aware of yours to degree...the thin lacquered ribbon is commonplace ( JJPPOTC apron, etc.) not just to pinball. Support is the solution as everything breaks, needs updating, care, etc. Designs, hardware, etc. are constantly being updated as first release of vaporware is almost always shit..

Not worth the bandwidth...I WANT this version to succeed so more can enjoy it, but unless there is a true factory support structure in place ( like JJP, Stern, etc.) then keeping these value engineered versions alive is going to be tough, period.

No way they could have built, upgraded, supported the original at a price point they could turn #'s. Can't minimize the efforts of those that did what a missing factory couldn't. Does not make it an inferior game by any stretch...

On to the new...

#3443 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

But those that continue to doubt screen failures are just whitewashing history.

Was there for all of it. Screen failures were minimal and easy fix. Why you insist on bashing the game is beyond me. New version ( standard, LV, whatever) won't have a PF screen, and has nothing to do w reliability, but rather cost savings, along w other VE measures.

The community is excited for a new, affordable Alien that will be supported by a factory ( yet PB doesn't actually make the game) period.

Pick on another new game that had mech or other problems.( pretty much every machine that is released).Wait...they have factory fking support....Aliens in the states for the most part were rehashed early revs ( yes even from CT) that just kept getting flipped w " zero" problems, hence the actual problems were never addressed, but rather just passed to the next unknowing buyer.

Those are the ones in the community I have zero respect for.

I have no problem w you ( like it matters) but good grief, let it go, or take it up w the factory.

( if you can delineate prior vs current company you are whitewashing much, much more than a pf screen issue btw).

Timeout on my useless posts, and look forward to unboxings, gameplay, and insight to under the hood.

#3501 3 years ago

Really liked the video. Thank you for posting and your honest, enthusiastic comments!..Good to see RJ45 connectors and the vertical, back-lit plastics along some ballways... look really cool.

Should be a strong contender at that price point if it plays well and is supported.

#3574 2 years ago
Quoted from brado426:

Looks like there are two "1st Quarter" SE's available right now at CoinTaker. Get it while it lasts.
https://cointaker.com/products/httpscointakercomproductsalien-standard-edition-by-pinball-brothers
[quoted image]

Quoted from brado426:

All the naysayers seem to have shut up. haha

People have every right to be extremely cautious about this game, including the company.

A nice video from an enthusiastic guy who was very honest w " a few minor bugs need to be worked out as this is a proto" after you could hear launch problems in the background before stream stopped to next shot.....

Nobody is " shutting up" , just possibly trying to stay quiet, still hoping for a reliable, supported machine...not being " blinded by the ramps"...waiting still for actual owners w actual games to see how things go.

How many have paid in full for this by now? Is yours playing well? I see it in your collection.....being boastful at this phase is premature...

#3577 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm interested in buying one, but content to wait till the bugs are ironed out.
One of the most iconic Sci-Fi themes of all time with sound by David Thiel?
Take my money.

Wise and correct. The game is deadly....

#3599 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

So are you excited that someone got an Alien? Or are you here cautiously give a bunch of grown men advice on how to proceed?....because it’s your right.
CMON!! This is fantastic news!!!
Great job so far Pinball Brothers!! You’re kick ass!

I've only seen 2 proto games so far, and I think 3 that got lost on a ship or something.

Lots of grown men lost $$$ the last time or got poorly built, early " proto" games. Last thing I want to see this go around.

Think I just stated I'll be happy when a bunch of unboxings and happy owners start posting over time, and no harm in waiting....sort of simple

My opinion or " advise" ultimately mean nothing, as it's not my $$$.....be excited....

1 week later
#3735 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

My history of alien ownership is well documented.

Yes, yes it has. I'll leave it at that.

#3736 2 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

well said !
+1

+100

#3737 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Bump.
Why cant this room be focused on the new machine and not always bouncing back to the OG and the differences..So many new people here with no desire to constantly have to see posts about the OG. The other room is perfect for this..
Let's talk about how to make it our best pin in our collection....Cant wait for the unveiling of the LV... yes i am number one on that list....Joking..

+1000

1 month later
#3930 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

This is the best custom apron made for the alien imho. Full Metal with leds strips build in so the playfield has much more light and also strobe effect for the xeno hit it was around 600 euro and the other one was like 1000-1200 and looked cheap in my eyes
Made by Faust from the netherlands

"cheap in your eyes" (?).....certainly not the thread for this....just stop Felix before you embarass yourself yet again. This is the place for new owners w new games to enjoy and sort.....someone will surely start making mods for this model once they get here in #'s.

Have no idea if mine would fit this game, but Zablon is correct...I was "25 and done".....

#3933 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

I can have my own opinion if I don’t like your apron I don’t like it. What about Felix? I’m not Felix I just said he build it. I responded to some people not liking the original apron and I send a picture that other things could be done with it. Don’t go Bitching about that this is not the thread for it . Mister I rule my scepter GTFOH
I’m glad other people now get a chance to play the good alien pinball and I was only here to help them...

Guess if you would have complemented, offered 1 without bashing the other I wouldn't have even commented. You apparently rule your scepter however, so who am I to say.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball?tu=mk6pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.