20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

it's inevitable that they would want to completely re-engineer and re-design that lemon so that it runs longer than a $20 DVD player

You have the best way with words . I have to respectfully disagree though ... I don't think it'd take much to re-engineer the game. This is all opinion ...

As far as mechanical assemblies, the pop bumpers, ball trough, and flippers (with the exception of the way the whole flipper mounts to the playfield) are all based on existing designs. I think the slingshots could also use WPC-like assemblies w/o much modification. They used the old Data East style of pop bumpers (I actually like those).

Alien's big weakness is the IO cards. They're over-engineered CPU and solenoid driver wise (though much of the overcurrent detection circuits are disabled ... all of that stuff could be replaced with a fuse). I tend to think that the CPU they chose on the node boards was picked to handle driving the lamps (just a hunch ... that CPU is a lot of horsepower to simply read switch states, fire solenoids, and drive lamps). The game requires 4 of those ... that drives up the cost significantly.

The mini USB connector was a bad choice too ... that's a frequent failure point. The big-ass PCBs to mount lamps and switches isn't all that good too (some of the trace widths are supposedly very narrow ... that is not good in a pinball machine where there are lots of vibrations and you have a 6 mil trace connected to a via ... the trace can easily be broken at those kinds of connections). Plus throwing a USB hub into the mix isn't all that good for reliability (vibrations mean that you have a pretty good chance one of the ports could make intermittent contact).

However, I don't think it'd take much to engineer something reliable + you wouldn't need to touch the main computer that runs the whole show. When the Alien computer talks to the IO cards, it is talking to a USB chip that converts the USB packets into UART signals. The node CPU reads these like any other UART. It checks to see if the packet is destined for a particular node by checking some node address bits tied to GPIO on the CPU. You could, and I don't think this would take much, make a single board almost like a WPC driver board, to accept all of that information, translate it, and fire the proper solenoids, lamps, and switch reads without having to touch the game's main software ... this wouldn't be that difficult if you had access to the USB packet protocol Heighway used.

One final note, I wouldn't be surprised if Alien could run on any AMD A10 based computer ... they seemed to pick the motherboard they chose since it had 4 DVI ports. You *really* only need two display outputs (the in-playfield display is a mirror of the backbox display ... the other port would be for the airlock display). That opens the door to using a far less expensive CPU mobo.

I think it would all come down to sales projections overall ... the game is ripe for cost reduction and, ironically, the cost reductions would make the game as reliable as any modern Stern or WPC pin out there. There would be upfront engineering costs, but they wouldn't be all that bad. It all comes down to the number of people that would buy the game ... they'd still have to sell MM and AFM numbers to make it worth their while.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if the sensor based switches will be thrown out and replaced with traditional switches?

I wouldn't do that. They seemed to have used a (relatively) expensive microcontroller to detect the presence of a ball on the playfield. That's why the switch is $11. TI has an inductive switch sensor device that's very inexpensive in quantity and works great. Your cost for switches would drop significantly if they'd switch to the TI chip. Plus they'd be more reliable in the field.

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

total nuclear annihilation of the entire planet not the pinball.

So you're saying that Spooky has predicted that the world is going to go up in a ball of fire and piss soon ... and they wanted to jump into the rumor mill by releasing that pin! You heard it here first ... Spooky has predicted the end of the world by releasing TNA ... amazing. (this is how rumors get started ... ).

2 weeks later
#499 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

they are hiring all kinds of electrical engineers right now.

They must have some impressive financial backing ... that's a lot of salary, benefits, and other costs in that list . Cool!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider megadeth2600.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball?tu=megadeth2600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.