20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 5 years ago

Faster than a speeding bullshit.
More powerful than a loco Montana.
Able to jump tall guns in a single bound...

What I'm saying is, I hadn't heard a peep about this myself before an hour or so ago.

#115 5 years ago

Obviously I'd want a mechanically revised and refined Alien put back in the market; it would mean money for me, finally. But the confirmation point would be a deal made concerning my design rights to the game, since the work is not paid for. This has not happened.

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I may have to go on the Podcast again to get to the bottom of this!

Please do.

3 months later
#694 4 years ago

I haven't heard an official peep out of any such 'deal' yet. It's possible I've been out of the loop since my life has been a complete fucking shambles for a number of months, but that's my unpaid Alien design work we're talking about here.

1 year later
#890 3 years ago

I know that much of that two years' work has been to reduce as much unnecessary build cost as possible. There has been talk of the design being streamlined to fit into a standard body cabinet, but they would have had to simplify a considerable amount out to make that happen. The old design relies heavily on cross-playfield angles that intersect with each other, and layers overlaid over each other. Out of all the designs that were ever on the cards at Heighway, Alien was the most geometrically complex, and current owners like it like that. Weighing that up with the costs that a redesign would require, I can't judge which way PB would ultimately go with this.

And honestly, aside from the recent teasers they've kept the development of this iteration very much to themselves. I honestly have no idea what it looks like now. Which was the right call to make; one less source to leak. Kaneda could ask me multiple times "what's going on with Alien" and I'd reply truthfully "you know as much as I do".

#900 3 years ago

This is what I can tell from the schematic alone. You're looking at the underside of the playfield, so the image will be flipped. Those big square areas will be the new circuit boards. Ignoring those and focusing on the positions of the t-nuts and the mechs...

The game is still a widebody, all four flippers are in the same places, and all the shots are intact. The drop targets on the right are still there, the scoop on the left is still there. I can't see the pops area so I don't know what's been done there. But there looks to have been a little shifting and refining so that all the revised mechs can fit, as well as the chief difference...

...They've put the second magnet back.

During development of the original, this was intended to snatch the ball out of the right orbit, and drop it into the chestburster area as a feed to the upper right flipper. It got dropped because the playfield sat directly onto the interior rails of the cabinet, and no mechs could clash with that space. We spent ages trying to come up with a decent workaround that would do the same thing, and eventually had to drop it altogether as a matter of cost - we were overthinking it and making any potential 'solution' way too expensive. But now that they've gone back to what looks like Bally/Williams cabinet interior standards, the edge restriction has been removed, and that magnet can go back in.

So what you're seeing here with the revision is pretty much the same game, minus the playfield screen expense, but with even more flow than the original actually has.

This has got me genuinely excited to see what else they've done, and I *DESIGNED* that original.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#901 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Who was the lead developer? ferret ? He’s a frickin wizard

Ferret was the lead coder. Quite frankly it was Ferret, David Thiel, Kelly the animator and the rest of the American side of the team that really saved the game, because they were too close-knit and too far away from Andrew that he couldn't push them around. The software and audio-visuals couldn't have been in better hands. And frankly that's another reason I'm glad the refined design appears to have changed comparatively little, because naturally PB would want to keep and reuse as much of that sterling work as possible.

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Please do not discount Brian Dominy’s programming. That man is fantastic.

Heh, even I'm getting the two of you mixed up into one entity, it's been that long.

#910 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

New Alien has been in development 2 years now. A radical new design last I heard.
And Blade Runner has been done ; )

Here's hoping Shadow Force Nova can see reality in some form, I'd still be pushing for that one.

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from locke987:

Last update from PB ....any changes here in the Layout?
[quoted image]

I see opto ramps, but that's about it.

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

yes. I should of added Aurich, Dave and anyone else who was involved and not compensated for their efforts should also get $$ first. even if it's a few thousand dollars! again, I doubt that is how it works. I'd still want the original over this remake anyways!

I have a plan in place - I'm covered if this actually happens. Without it, they wouldn't have the rights to use my design work either. But as Aurich says, it's important to keep that 'if' in mind, and everything so far has been on a 'need to know' basis.

2 weeks later
#1379 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Like they were going to do entrance switches but didn’t.

Exactly this. I designed the sides to have entrance switch gates attached to them with overhead signs, but that was dropped. Nobody really liked the sign designs.

#1611 3 years ago

Physical ball lock. Along with the second magnet, the element I wanted most that was taken out before.

Because the whole point of the hypersleep chamber is PEOPLE SLEEP IN IT.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball?tu=ealadubhsidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.