20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 82.
#3751 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do any of the shots in alien always feed the pops? If not, what’s the best way to shoot the pops if you need those or top lanes?

There are divertors up top. When appropriate, the machine will divert the ball into the pops to collect pop bumper hits and feed the upper flipper.

#3752 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

There are divertors up top. When appropriate, the machine will divert the ball into the pops to collect pop bumper hits and feed the upper flipper.

Looks like when the hypersleep lock is lit, the diverters are on. Also if you combo a ramp to the opposite orbit, it will divert.

#3753 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks like when the hypersleep lock is lit, the diverters are on. Also if you combo a ramp to the opposite orbit, it will divert.

When will we see a 6 part video series Chuckwurt? like you did on GOT.

#3754 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

When will we see a 6 part video series Chuckwurt? like you did on GOT.

Funny I was expecting Chuck to look like Fletch for some reason.

#3755 2 years ago

On the ALIEN remake, the Extra Ball buyin button has been removed. You now change the currently selected weapon using the flipper buttons.

The playfield insert will light up solid when the weapon has been earned, and start flashing once selected.

As before, unused weapons always carry over from ball to ball.

#3756 2 years ago

Just got done playing the one at Comics 2 Games in Florence Ky.

If you’ve never been here, make sure you make the trip if you can and you’re near it. Great spot.

This game played SO much better than the prototype at Pinbrew. I had lots of fun on it.

It needs some tweaking though. Orbit switches didn’t seem to work, nor the left ramp. If either orbit or that left ramp were lit for something, I never got credit for it.

Because of that, I was unable to get the diverters to come up and feed the pops.

Xeno MB worked pretty well. The magnet didn’t always grab the ball at the start. So the xeno would just eat nothing. Hyper sleep ramp was smooth.

Overall, I think this will be a great game assuming the issues I encountered were simple switch errors that aren’t hard to fix. I’m not well versed in proximity switches.

#3757 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:Orbit switches didn’t seem to work, nor the left ramp ... The magnet didn’t always grab the ball.

#3758 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Xeno MB worked pretty well. The magnet didn’t always grab the ball at the start. So the xeno would just eat nothing.

This has been one of my main concerns on the original. If the xeno doesn't grab the ball, it's possible for the tongue to get wacked while it's extended (unless I'm missing something). I wonder if they addressed this on the remake? One fix I can think of is to disable the flippers while the tongue is extended.

#3759 2 years ago

I wouldn’t worry about that. The process take only a second. I doubt the tongue ever gets damaged.

#3760 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you’ve never been here, make sure you make the trip if you can and you’re near it. Great spot.
This game played SO much better than the prototype at Pinbrew. I had lots of fun on it.
It needs some tweaking though. Orbit switches didn’t seem to work, nor the left ramp. If either orbit or that left ramp were lit for something, I never got credit for it.
Because of that, I was unable to get the diverters to come up and feed the pops.
Xeno MB worked pretty well. The magnet didn’t always grab the ball at the start. So the xeno would just eat nothing. Hyper sleep ramp was smooth.
Overall, I think this will be a great game assuming the issues I encountered were simple switch errors that aren’t hard to fix. I’m not well versed in proximity switches.

So.... you’re saying there’s a chance

#3761 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So all the loop and ramp switches are proximity switches then? How do these things work. Why not optos or regular switches I wonder?

#3762 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

what’s the best way to shoot the pops if you need those or top lanes?

Mostly (if a higher-priority rule isn't in force), an inlane -> opposing orbit combo will divert the ball to the L-V lanes and the pop cluster. Extra perk: reaching the eggs (pops) this way awards 5x egg value while the ball remains up there.

Scenes that want egg hits (Derelict Ship and Queen's Nest) should also divert the ball into the pops from the orbit(s) as appropriate.

As for the weapons, I will be curious to see how the flipper button weapon selection turns out... certainly pros and cons of that approach vs trying to hit the little Extra Ball button on the front of the cabinet.

#3763 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

As for the weapons, I will be curious to see how the flipper button weapon selection turns out... certainly pros and cons of that approach vs trying to hit the little Extra Ball button on the front of the cabinet.

I was wondering how to switch them when I saw there was no extra ball button. Haha. For today I just used whatever was currently on the screen.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

So all the loop and ramp switches are proximity switches then? How do these things work. Why not optos or regular switches I wonder?

I’m assuming this. I scanned the playfield and the only physical switch I saw was the shooter lane switch. Maybe an opto on then left ramp. Definitely not an opto on the right ramp.

#3764 2 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

We paid $440 for shipping....I assume some of that is from overseas to CT and then from CT to us. Quite a bargain.
I don't think for $440 it would be by air...no rush here....just make it perfect and I can watch you SE folks with unboxing and AHHnold youtube videos...hehe
Price to paint room ooozing drool green...priceless..

LOL, yeah let me know when you have some extra green oozing paint. I was just trying to find out if what Mellissa has said is true about the first ones being air shipped.

#3765 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I wouldn’t worry about that. The process take only a second. I doubt the tongue ever gets damaged.

The ball is wild if the xeno doesn't catch it, which can happen if the ball bounces off the edge of the target.
Plenty of time for the tongue to get hit as it extends and retracts. I try not to hit the ball when this happens.

#3766 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The ball is wild if the xeno doesn't catch it, which can happen if the ball bounces off the edge of the target.
Plenty of time for the tongue to get hit as it extends and retracts. I try not to hit the ball when this happens.

Just telling my experience in these exact situations. The odds of it taking a direct shot from the one ball in play are minimal. Plus the tongue looks very robust so I’m sure it can take some hits.

#3767 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Appreciate the feedback. I believe there are magnet settings in game but that is for the magnet in front of xeno (and I think you’re talking about the xeno magnet - specifically at the end of the tongue). Very strange that wouldn’t just pick the ball up each time. Did the side art look higher quality than what you saw at pinbrew as I remember you saying the print quality wasn’t great.

#3768 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Proximity switch senses the metal ball - Alien uses inductor based sensors that detect the ball through changes in the inductors magnetic field. TZ, STTNG, ToM, Scared Stiff and Road Show all have inductor based proximity switches in a few places. Alternatively you could use a Magnetic Reed Switch to sense the ball - there are aftermarket switch mods to replace standard micro switches with MRS on certain machines, such as the whirlpool on CFTBL and one of the wire forms on The Shadow.

Proximity switches don't have any moving parts like a micro-switch and probably have higher reliability compared to optos. The early proximity switches required adjusting a pot to manually calibrate the switch however modern circuits have auto calibration features that automatically adjust the detector circuit.

#3769 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Appreciate the feedback. I believe there are magnet settings in game but that is for the magnet in front of xeno (and I think you’re talking about the xeno magnet - specifically at the end of the tongue). Very strange that wouldn’t just pick the ball up each time. Did the side art look higher quality than what you saw at pinbrew as I remember you saying the print quality wasn’t great.

Honestly I don’t know how the magnet would grab the ball in certain instances. You can clip the side of the targets and send the ball directly left or right. Not sure how the magnet would catch the ball in those situations.

Side art I didn’t look closely at. The backplastic is the exact same, but they did seem it put something behind it so it didn’t rattle all over the place while you played and nudged.

Armor was the exact same.

Thankfully the stock flipper power was great. Bodes well for others’ impressions of this on location.

#3770 2 years ago

my personal opinion is when ambush is initiated, it should deactivate the flippers, either let the wild ball drain, or if its on the magnet get eaten, then reactivate flippers as soon as either ball launches from the airlock or first multiball comes from the launcher.

#3771 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

my personal opinion is when ambush is initiated, it should deactivate the flippers, either let the wild ball drain, or if its on the magnet get eaten, then reactivate flippers as soon as either ball launches from the airlock or first multiball comes from the launcher.

That’s a great idea.

#3772 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

There are no physical locks for ambush. But yeah this would work for sure. I’d want my free jackpots though. Haha

#3773 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I know the coder on this (believe he’s out of Florida) checks the boards a lot. I’m sure this could be done. I think it’s a great idea and adds another moment to the game.

Would love to get a flasher incorporated too into this game. It was done as a mod on the OG one.

#3774 2 years ago

yeah a completely dark game, and use of a flasher effect for when the ball is being taken off the playfield would be really cool.

#3775 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

YES!!!!!!

#3776 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

yeah a completely dark game, and use of a flasher effect for when the ball is being taken off the playfield would be really cool.

Agreed

#3777 2 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Oh but only issue is if you have a mode running at the same time, you would loose that time while the flippers are deactivated, so while the flippers are deactivated and no ball is in play, the mode timer should be put on pause until it relaunches again.

#3778 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Proximity switch senses the metal ball - Alien uses inductor based sensors that detect the ball through changes in the inductors magnetic field. TZ, STTNG, ToM, Scared Stiff and Road Show all have inductor based proximity switches in a few places. Alternatively you could use a Magnetic Reed Switch to sense the ball - there are aftermarket switch mods to replace standard micro switches with MRS on certain machines, such as the whirlpool on CFTBL and one of the wire forms on The Shadow.
Proximity switches don't have any moving parts like a micro-switch and probably have higher reliability compared to optos. The early proximity switches required adjusting a pot to manually calibrate the switch however modern circuits have auto calibration features that automatically adjust the detector circuit.

Did somebody say MRS!!!! : )

#3779 2 years ago

Is there another official thread for this pin? I had been led to believe some people in the States had received theirs now, but there have been no updates on here? Were there NDAs in the box?

#3780 2 years ago

This is it. The posts will happen soon. Hang on!

#3781 2 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Is there another official thread for this pin? I had been led to believe some people in the States had received theirs now, but there have been no updates on here? Were there NDAs in the box?

Yes there is another thread - start reading from here (when people started receiving their machines) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-brothers-alien-remake-owners-club/page/14#post-6262080

#3784 2 years ago

So much french chatter. Has anybody figured out how to translate the video? Looks interesting.

#3785 2 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

So much french chatter. Has anybody figured out how to translate the video? Looks interesting.

Yes great video - my son's learning French at school, so might have to see if he can help translate it for me (some quality father-son time )

#3786 2 years ago

That guy plays very well. Very quick way to show how alien, although unique, is not clunky but can def flow.

Game needs those topper beacons. When sentry gun mb goes off, I was waiting for the beacon lights on top to run as well. Same for queens nest. Hoping they can be added.

PF looks really nice. Game looks great. Going to need a cliffy though in that mode start scoop unless PB put some protection there already. The OG one got torn up without it. Also for those with magnet issues, see if you can increase the magnet strength in options as the latest code added that ability in the OG.

#3787 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Going to need a cliffy though in that mode start scoop unless PB put some protection there already. The OG one got torn up without it.

One of the guys that received their PB Alien mentioned in the other thread that there was added PF protection at both the start mode and magnet, so hopefully they've got that covered.

#3788 2 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

One of the guys that received their PB Alien mentioned in the other thread that there was added PF protection at both the start mode and magnet, so hopefully they've got that covered.

The description on Cointaker mentioned a protector on the airlock scoop, but there is nothing on mine. I was hoping for a Mantis style protector on the inside edge of the playfield cutout. I don’t know if Mantis makes one, but I may opt for a Cliffy if they don’t.

There is no protection around either magnet. Am considering Cliffy CF rings there, or at least mylar. I am not a fan of Cliffy’s on new machines, but I’ll kick myself if those areas start wearing.

#3789 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

The description on Cointaker mentioned a protector on the airlock scoop, but there is nothing on mine. I was hoping for a Mantis style protector on the inside edge of the playfield cutout. I don’t know if Mantis makes one, but I may opt for a Cliffy if they don’t.
There is no protection around either magnet. Am considering Cliffy CF rings there, or at least mylar. I am not a fan of Cliffy’s on new machines, but I’ll kick myself if those areas start wearing.

Minimum I would highly advise a protector at airlock. That thing kicks out so many balls over a game, damage will definitely occur at some point. Plus I always felt cliffys make things "smoother", so the kick outs feel more "stable", with a cliffy.

#3790 2 years ago

I’d Mylar the edges, but that’s just me.

#3791 2 years ago

The flipper strength looks more like a JJP (medium to weak). He is flipping and pushing/following through on most shots and speed still seems modest. Idk I know people says plays fast, so hard to tell from video. Wide body and long shots can look/feel that way. Excited as hell regardless!

#3792 2 years ago

The flippers are much stronger stock than JJP.

#3793 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d Mylar the edges, but that’s just me.

I plan on doing mylar for now and see how it holds up. Really try to avoid cliffy on brand new machines if possible. Someone should make magnet sized mylar strips as well - all about making it easy!

#3794 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I plan on doing mylar for now and see how it holds up. Really try to avoid cliffy on brand new machines if possible. Someone should make magnet sized mylar strips as well - all about making it easy!

Somebody used to make donut shaped mylar strips for standard sized magnets - I found a couple that I ordered 20 years ago and forgot I had. I also just checked PinballLife and they sell them:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mylar-magnet-protector.html

#3795 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Somebody used to make donut shaped mylar strips for standard sized magnets - I found a couple that I ordered 20 years ago and forgot I had. I also just checked PinballLife and they sell them:
https://www.pinballlife.com/mylar-magnet-protector.html

haha that's awesome! In for 5!

#3796 2 years ago

Brand new games is the perfect time to install a cliffy before the scoop / whatever gets any damage that will make the cliffy deform.

I'm also thinking the fact that it is a burthamburg PF vs. a mirco is going to go a long way. Interested to see how yall early adopters do with no protection

#3797 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Brand new games is the perfect time to install a cliffy before the scoop / whatever gets any damage that will make the cliffy deform.

I’ve never seen scoop damage on a new game home use with Mylar to protect the edge of the artwork.

#3798 2 years ago

Perhaps... but mylar is gross.

#3799 2 years ago

That’s a first! Haha. Cliffys always change the gameplay of a scoop for the worse, so I avoid them at all costs. The lane guides are great though.

#3800 2 years ago
alienstream (resized).pngalienstream (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/76?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.