20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 82.
#3451 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Hi guys, i hope its okey, that i share my youtube video here, unboxing and a quick review:

Awesome to have a side to side comparison! What are your initial thoughts? I'll check out the video later.

Quoted from flynnibus:

da faq are you on about? I'm not bashing anything - just correcting the falsehood that the screens were never a problem. Yes they were and yes it was an easy fix in the field because the parts were easily sourced - never said otherwise. Yet some people insist on saying they were never a problem item to start with - that's what instigated the reply.
Some people just insist on acting like nothing was ever wrong with the game - even after they spent countless hours fixing them or stocking up on alternate or spare parts, etc.. and then act like none of it happened. That's bullshit... and so when same people keep doubting the reasons for change it's comical.
I look forward to seeing the guts of the new alien and how they hold up. It's such an amazing game that has been held back by its past engineering. I want to see Alien that we can play without worrying about it all the time and even put on location. I want my friend to get the recognition for the amazing title he created. But I'm not going to whitewash history to make that happen.

I don't think any of us with games that are fine invalidate your experience with ones that were not. The reason I said anything is that you are making huge blanket statements about all of these games that do not appear to be accurate. Mine is engineered fine, as are many others. I'm still excited to see the remake regardless, and back to that.

#3452 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Hi guys, i hope its okey, that i share my youtube video here, unboxing and a quick review:

Awesome - great video! best view of the guts so far!!

#3453 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Thanks for posting.
Game looks good but I'm kinda hoping the next unboxing and review is done by someone who has never owned or better yet played the OG. Hopefully spots can be added to slings via GI like I do with Sterns to light things up a bit. I think the Heighway version was dark as well? At least it has begun.

Oh yeah. Cab and back glass looking just fine to me. In fact better than fine. Simple, iconic, classic.

#3454 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing, here are some of the guts from the video.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNGCapture3 (resized).PNGCapture3 (resized).PNGCapture4 (resized).PNGCapture4 (resized).PNGCapture5 (resized).PNGCapture5 (resized).PNGCapture6 (resized).PNGCapture6 (resized).PNG
#3455 2 years ago

Looks really nice! Decals and translite even look good...Wonder how they hold up in person.

One thing: Noticed that the pc is in the bottom of the head.

#3456 2 years ago

22:05 if you want to see the Xenomorph eat the ball!

#3457 2 years ago

So...

Ramps look super polished...
The new light channel guides in many places to boost lighting. But interestingly they also seem to be in direct contact with the ball in some places. That's a new concept to see how it plays out. plus the target bodies.. clearly they really put lighting near the top of the list to tweak and invest in.
The board redesign.. looks like we have a chained data bus with rj45 (but some strain relief now) with separate molex power to the boards like before. But of course the interface boards are completely redone.
Interesting to see that, what looks like some sort of power distribution box attached to the bottom of the PF.
CPU is behind the monitor now
the lack of a lockdown reciever is an interesting choice... just small tabs where the lockdown bar slides through and double as the PF mounts.

No EOS on the flippers at all? Guess all software controlled... we've seen others continue to struggle with that idea.

I know the poster was disappointed with the Audio, but I think the HWP was a bit of an extreme with audio itself. Good news is audio is alot easier to fix than things like I/O boards! Hopefully running the audio to your own amp + speakers gets it back to where some want it.

I wonder where all the driver board stuff is... in the box on the PF or the box in the lower cab? Seems like the box hanging on the PF

#3458 2 years ago

I would think there has got to be audio adjustment somewhere in the menu other than just volume control no?

#3459 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Your thread was labeled pre order. If it was an attempted club thread, it would have been shut down bc you can't create a club thread until the machine actually ships. But you know that.
Now that they have shipped and we didn't have a club thread, I created one. Your attempt to rename your original months old thread to be something else is actually a violation of the rules. Might be best to change it back to the original title to avoid confusion although I suspect it will be shut down anyway if you don't do so proactively.
Now why I check this thread is the better question. I saw 70+ posts and thought it was someone posting pics so I had to check. But no it's just the same ol OG posters pointing fingers and postering. Yawn.

Actually..that was a club thread and it did get shut down. Mods said it could be changed to a pre-order and said they'd open it back up when a game shipped.

#3460 2 years ago

Thank you very much for the video. I do not think the cabinet looks bad at all. I am still not a fan of the chrome, but it isn't horrible.

#3461 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Thanks for the video!

Can anyone make an educated guess as to why the sound seems so bad?

I know it's probably easy to fix , but is it speakers or something that cannot be upgraded ; like they reduced the quality somewhere .

Everything else seems pretty good , but sound is very important to me as well.

#3462 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Thanks for the video!
I know it's probably easy to fix , but is it speakers or something that cannot be upgraded ; like they reduced the quality somewhere .

Those are probably super cheap speakers made to fit in that limited space. I am sure it won't be an issue to make the audio shine. Just a little $$

#3463 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Thanks for the video!

well alien used a full dedicated amp.. and different speakers. We don't know what they are driving these speakers with yet.

I think it's the least of concerns - except for the continued speaker placement behind the plexi. The rest is easily improved upon as long as there is a line level somewhere.

#3464 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Thanks for posting this. The game looks better than I was expecting for the price. I hope they can maintain that price point and build hundreds, if not thousands of these. I'm sure there will be a way to enhance the audio quality.

#3465 2 years ago

Speakers arent a big deal, just get an exterior audio system and hook it up, I think new Alien looks great. Good work.

#3466 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Well done and Thank you for sharing your experience!!!! Game looks awesome and at half price from current market on OG this is a home run. Oddly for some reason I kept expecting your to yell "Run for the Choppper" during your review but no... lol Thanks again.

#3467 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

Thanks for the video! Been waiting patiently for this. Hope to see more unboxing videos soon.

#3468 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Well done and Thank you for sharing your experience!!!! Game looks awesome and at half price from current market on OG this is a home run. Oddly for some reason I kept expecting your to yell "Run for the Choppper" during your review but no... lol Thanks again.

I was thinking the same thing....lol

#3469 2 years ago

This is simple, but sometimes it is something simple so it can't hurt to ask. Is the cabinet speaker working and putting out full volume? You mentioned that you were getting almost no bass. If there were an issue with that speaker, that would explain it.

#3470 2 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

This is simple, but sometimes it is something simple so it can't hurt to ask. Is the cabinet speaker working and putting out full volume? You mentioned that you were getting almost no bass. If there were an issue with that speaker, that would explain it.

My guess is it is something rather simple. When he showed that massive base speaker in the bottom cabinet then noted there was no base my guess would be there is some type of bass knob in the bottom cabinet somewhere to pump that up. Highly doubt they would put a speaker that big in with nothing to fire it.

#3471 2 years ago

He doesn't even show, maybe it doesn't even have a cab speaker?

EDIT: oh, I guess I missed that he showed a speaker.

#3472 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

He doesn't even show, maybe it doesn't even have a cab speaker?

He does show it in the video.

#3473 2 years ago

I like the minor artistic changes they made to the front.

I find it interesting he keeps bringing up the lock down bar locks. Is anyone even using the old style williams locks? I haven't seen one in years.

#3474 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

My guess is it is something rather simple. When he showed that massive base speaker in the bottom cabinet then noted there was no base my guess would be there is some type of bass knob in the bottom cabinet somewhere to pump that up. Highly doubt they would put a speaker that big in with nothing to fire it.

Exactly - I have a feeling this is a configuration or connection issue. Looks like the hardware is there.

Thought the machine looked very good - clean designs, artwork appeared better than expected, neat assembly under the playfield, lighting good. Fingers crossed.

#3475 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I find it interesting he keeps bringing up the lock down bar locks. Is anyone even using the old style williams locks? I haven't seen one in years.

Guess its a personal preference for him totally fine. Think JJP is the last to still use that lock method. Doesn't matter much to me personally. Loved the changes and improvements they made. Looked really well built top to bottom with the primary theme and shot map still as original yet slightly better with added features. They picked the right time to roll this game out. For anyone that has never had the chance to enjoy playing Alien This is a huge opportunity. Such a full wonderful pinball experience. Well done PB!

#3476 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Look at it though - it's not just the locking reciever vs clips... there is no reciever at all!

So no adjustments for the lockbar, no steel bar supporting front of cabinet face, lesser brackets supporting the playfield itself.

What I thought was interesting as well was it looked like the right clip didn't have clearance to flip up when the PF was down.. looks like it may have to be fiddled with to get in the lock position.

#3477 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look at it though - it's not just the locking reciever vs clips... there is no reciever at all!
So no adjustments for the lockbar, no steel bar supporting front of cabinet face, lesser brackets supporting the playfield itself.
What I thought was interesting as well was it looked like the right clip didn't have clearance to flip up when the PF was down.. looks like it may have to be fiddled with to get in the lock position.

They seem to be exactly the same as R&M.

#3478 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

They seem to be exactly the same as R&M.

Unfortunately - not the greatest standard to be chasing...

#3479 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Unfortunately - not the greatest standard to be chasing...

Guess it depends on if you consider it an issue. For home use, it certainly isn't.

#3480 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Its different, no big whoop. IF we have to lift the playfield every day then Maybe a concern otherwise a non concern. Way better to me then the original design lifting that 50 pound glass rail assembly off. That design I did not care for personally.

#3481 2 years ago

Game looks great.

My guess is a cable or something to the bass speaker have come loose while transporting, really doubt it should sound that tame.

#3482 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Its different, no big whoop. IF we have to lift the playfield every day then Maybe a concern otherwise a non concern. Way better to me then the original design lifting that 50 pound glass rail assembly off. That design I did not care for personally.

Concur - the glass cartridge model is a neat idea - just horrible in most practical senses.

#3483 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Spooky Pinball does.

#3484 2 years ago

I love the lit molded plastic pieces placed around the playfield. Looks to be around eight of them. They really help with the mood of the lighting.

Cabinet art package looks fine. I really liked the original lit side panels but I didn't like the original cabinet style with the modular pieces on the front and the lift up glass with that huge frame.

#3485 2 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I love the lit molded plastic pieces placed around the playfield. Looks to be around eight of them. They really help with the mood of the lighting.
Cabinet art package looks fine. I really liked the original lit side panels but I didn't like the original cabinet style with the modular pieces on the front and the lift up glass with that huge frame.

Would like to see the exact way the playfield rotates into the vertical position too...

#3486 2 years ago

Looks great! Better than I expected. The underside of the playfield looks so clean and probably easier to assemble and disassemble than most modern pins.

#3487 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Spooky Pinball does.

Spooky did through ACNC, but R&M (at least later in the run) came with the Stern type of double latch.

#3488 2 years ago

Looks really good overall, shouldn't be hard to upgrade the sound.

#3489 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Looks really good overall, shouldn't be hard to upgrade the sound.

Pinball bros commented on his video with this.

Pinball Brothers
1 hour ago (edited)
We think that the bass cable and the right loudspeaker cable might be switched. The sound should be pretty good - especially with the fat bass speaker you have in the cabinet’s bottom
And as an advanced tip: remove the backglass and find the bass boost knob below the screen, left of the speaker cables...

#3490 2 years ago
Quoted from monkfe:

Would like to see the exact way the playfield rotates into the vertical position too...

Yes, love that as well. Overall this is a hit for me. Very pleased with what I see so far.

#3491 2 years ago

Great video! Thanks for the details we have yet to see. I think the sound would be improved with a simple external sub. Looks like a winner to me.

#3492 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I don't think they are all that bad. Pretty much it depends on how picky u are with sound on a pin. I've never upgraded and never will. Stock speakers are just fine for me and without hearing the OG I might think they are more than adequate. Where are the cointaker Aliens?

#3493 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ramps look super polished...

Way better than the Heighway ramps. They are really nice.

Quoted from flynnibus:

No EOS on the flippers at all? Guess all software controlled... we've seen others continue to struggle with that idea.

Flipper are crazy weak stock. Hopefully they have strength settings and hold up against long play periods.

Those light blocks as all the ball guides are very very cool too. Seems like they are pretty robust when I saw them at Pinbrew.

#3495 2 years ago

Betcha cointaker is busy now!

#3496 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Actually..that was a club thread and it did get shut down. Mods said it could be changed to a pre-order and said they'd open it back up when a game shipped.

Club sniped.

dm (resized).jpgdm (resized).jpg
#3497 2 years ago

What is ‘XV’ version? Look on box.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3498 2 years ago
Quoted from HeadNZ:

What is ‘XV’ version? Look on box.
[quoted image]

Boxes printed before they settled on what kind of models they were going to make

#3499 2 years ago

I really feel this game needs a jumping facehugger as a topper - pointed right at the player.

#3500 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Boxes printed before they settled on what kind of models they were going to make

Well that's ridiculous... cancelling my order !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
9,799 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.