20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 82.
#2951 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Their flyer looked like it was designed by a 10-year old after a case of Monster.
They social media guy thinks flippers are called "paddles."
I don't think anybody is surprised that there's some bumps in the road. Pinball isn't easy.

Understand your point, but this was a different group of people.

#2952 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That’s ok then. I don’t care about dimples every game has them, it’s the pooling and chipping that I worry about.

Wouldn't keep me from buying one, either, but I might put a protector on given the degree of dimpling. It is definitely worth pointing out, given that the playfield was billed as indestructible, and might be improved at this early point in production.

#2953 3 years ago

A new pin with a new play field shows dimples. Is that shocking?

After so many games on that new play field, no more dimples. Right?

Isn't that how it works?

My TWD had dimples at first when new but they didn't last long. Don't they even out over time with more and more games played? Mine did.

And how do we know the zeno head doesn't work? Was a shot made where it was supposed to activate but didn't? I really don't know, never got my hands on one to play or learn on.

#2954 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

A new pin with a new play field shows dimples. Is that shocking?
After so many games on that new play field, no more dimples. Right?
Isn't that how it works?
My TWD had dimples at first when new but they didn't last long. Don't they even out over time with more and more games played? Mine did.
And how do we know the zeno head doesn't work? Was a shot made where it was supposed to activate but didn't? I really don't know, never got my hands on one to play or learn on.

Dimpling panic comes and goes with the tides. I kinda thought we were over the hump but it never really goes away.

#2955 3 years ago

I really think that short video was more about "Hey it's really here and real!" ...and not so much a demonstration video to show modes and toy mechanisms.

I'm not going to be critical about the brief video we saw, I'm more thankful anything was posted just to show ALIEN IS ALIVE!

#2956 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dimpling panic comes and goes with the tides. I kinda thought we were over the hump but it never really goes away.

I'm puzzled by why you are posting here. You don't like these boutique pins, Alien, Lebowski, etc. You don't seem to like JJP. You like Stern. So...do you want an Alien?

#2957 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm puzzled by why you are posting here. You don't like these boutique pins, Alien, Lebowski, etc. You don't seem to like JJP. You like Stern. So...do you want an Alien?

I'm sorry, is this an Alien "owners' thread?"

WHat's up with all the thread policing today? If people don't like to read my posts, why not just ignore me? It's super easy.

To repeat a tired point, it's a forum based upon pinball discussion. If that's not your cup of tea you probably shouldn't come here.

Also not sure if you noticed, I don't give a shit about dimpling and think you guys should get over it. Big Alien dimple defender here.

#2958 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm sorry, is this an Alien "owners' thread?"
WHat's up with all the thread policing today? If people don't like to read my posts, why not just ignore me? It's super easy.
To repeat a tired point, it's a forum based upon pinball discussion. If that's not your cup of tea you probably shouldn't come here.

I'm Just curious why you are obsessed by these threads. You must be really interested in Alien, Lebowski, JJPOTC, etc... I actually own or have owned these games. Most of us are enthusiasts for the games. You seem to want reactions.

#2959 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm Just curious why you are obsessed by these threads. You must be really interested in Alien, Lebowski, JJPOTC, etc... I actually own or have owned these games. Most of us are enthusiasts for the games. You seem to want reactions.

Be curious no more!

I'm super interested in the boutiques / scams / projects that go nowhere etc that create an almost cult-like following here.

Why do people always want what they can't have?

Why do they always pine for "innovation" that they can't explain?

Why do they spend large sums of money on games that don't exist?

Why does nobody want a game, until suddenly everybody wants a game and will pay $20,000 for it?

It's truly fascinating to me. You could say I'm obsessed.

#2960 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Be curious no more!
I'm super interested in the boutiques / scams / projects that go nowhere etc that create an almost cult-like following here.
Why do people always want what they can't have?
Why do they always pine for "innovation" that they can't explain?
Why do they spend large sums of money on games that don't exist?
Why does nobody want a game, until suddenly everybody wants a game and will pay $20,000 for it?
It's truly fascinating to me. You could say I'm obsessed.

Well, that is actually interesting.

#2961 3 years ago

You just have to figure out of it's rivalry based or aggression based, certainly not justice based (suspect rivalry). Then it will become less interesting as you grow.

Aggression-based schadenfreude primarily involves group identity. The joy of observing the suffering of others comes from the observer's feeling that the other's failure represents an improvement or validation of their own group's (in-group) status in relation to external (out-groups) groups (see In-group and out-group). This is, essentially, schadenfreude based on group versus group status.
Rivalry-based schadenfreude is individualistic and related to interpersonal competition. It arises from a desire to stand out from and out-perform one's peers. This is schadenfreude based on another person's misfortune eliciting pleasure because the observer now feels better about their personal identity and self-worth, instead of their group identity.

#2962 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

You just have to figure out of it's rivalry based or aggression based, certainly not justice based (suspect rivalry). Then it will become less interesting as you grow.

That reads like Deep Root hype copy.

#2963 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That reads like Deep Root hype copy.

Looks like that's a term you just made up

https://www.google.com/search?q=Deep+Root+hype+copy&oq=Deep+Root+hype+copy&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's an almost universal human behavior. But once you are aware of it, it's pretty easy to recognise and correct internally.

#2964 3 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Looks like that's a term you just made up
https://www.google.com/search?q=Deep+Root+hype+copy&oq=Deep+Root+hype+copy&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
It's an almost universal human behavior. But once you are aware of it, it's pretty easy to recognise and correct internally.

This is turning into psychoanalysis!

#2965 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

This is turning into psychoanalysis!

That's a big word that means getting to know others. I'm recommending getting to know one's own motivations It's the only way i know to grow as a person, not that I'm much of a person.

#2966 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:This is turning into psychoanalysis!

I think psychoanal is pinside's middle name!

#2967 3 years ago

I think the game looks great but it’s like pulling teeth to even get good pictures of the game. I’ve seen for sale ads with better pictures.

I’ll give the presentation and release a F- so far. It’s almost as if the company is trying to make the rollout and release of information and pictures as horrible as possible.

#2968 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think the game looks great but it’s like pulling teeth to even get good pictures of the game. I’ve seen for sale ads with better pictures.
I’ll give the presentation and release a F- so far. It’s almost as if the company is trying to make the rollout and release of information and pictures as horrible as possible.

Lowering expectations isn't a bad idea.

We've seen the opposite - over and over - and it's always a disaster!

#2969 3 years ago

Although production quality isn't Disney/Lucasfilm levels...man the SFX alone make me want an SE.

#2970 3 years ago

Gotta say - the cabinet does feel pretty amauterish in this form. Lots of visual 'holes'

#2971 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Gotta say - the cabinet does feel pretty amauterish in this form. Lots of visual 'holes'

I try to keep it positive but I got to agree with you on that. Seems poorly laid out. I will hold my final judgement until I see it sitting in my room but that cab art has me shaking my head. I guess its destined to sit in the middle of my line up. At least the profile will line up. There's a positive. Shit for 8k I will slip it between tbl and gb and forget what it looks like on the sides.

#2972 3 years ago

Easy fix, cut holes in the sides, get some plastic printed with the Alien Logo, throw some LED's on it, boom. Just like the OG. I mean, guys, come on, it's the SAME as the old, the only reason it looks different is because of that. I'm not saying it looks amazing but..it is what it is.

#2973 3 years ago

You guys crazy the cab artwork looks great . Better than the Led Zeppelin copy and paste each side technique

#2974 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

You guys crazy the cab artwork looks great . Better than the Led Zeppelin copy and paste each side technique

Umm, even cut and paste artwork is far better than what they showed on the cab. I could do better, and I can barely draw a stick figure!

#2975 3 years ago

While watching the video, my wife gave me a play by play on call outs that were from Alien, and Aliens. She was wondering why an Alien pin had Aliens call outs. She is a huge fan of the franchise. lol

#2976 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Agreed. An inadvertent Blair Witch Project for pinball perhaps ?

#2977 3 years ago

Those backbox speakers look sweet!

#2978 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The original takes a lot of heat for the cabinet, but it is a thing of beauty in my small collection. The remake cabinet, on the other hand, is generic but a practical choice. New Radcal art could look amazing, powdercoating the armor, maybe some illuminated backbox side art. Big picture is the gameplay, and it is looking great! Also, the LEDs do seem to pop on the remake. For the price of Stern Pre, this may be a homerun.

#2979 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

How the heck can u guys see dimpling on the playfield with this video ?? U have some sort of magic eyeballs ?

I had to take a second look myself to spot anything ...

PB Alien (resized).JPGPB Alien (resized).JPG
#2980 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

I had to take a second look myself to spot anything ...
[quoted image]

Overhead light

#2981 3 years ago

Cabinet art and some dimples? Who gives a shit. The main concern is seeing these shipping in bulk. That's what worries me. I'll buy when I see at least 100 out in the wild, no make that 300.

#2982 3 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

While watching the video, my wife gave me a play by play on call outs that were from Alien, and Aliens. She was wondering why an Alien pin had Aliens call outs. She is a huge fan of the franchise. lol

The game has both movies in it, you will play one and then the other. You get to choose which movie you play first.

#2983 3 years ago

Anyone have shots of this cabinet?

#2984 3 years ago

A moment of silence for Yaphet Kotto. RIP.

#2985 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

A moment of silence for Yaphet Kotto. RIP.

Not Mr Big!!!!

Great character actor RIP

#2986 3 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Cabinet art and some dimples? Who gives a shit. The main concern is seeing these shipping in bulk. That's what worries me. I'll buy when I see at least 100 out in the wild, no make that 300.

It’s heavy as well, which may alter the feel. But I basically agree, it’s Alien, bring it.

#2987 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

The original takes a lot of heat for the cabinet, but it is a thing of beauty in my small collection

I never had a beef with the looks of the old cabinet... just the build of it. The fragile material, the floppy sides, the redonkulous key setup, etc. The lit sides were nice, but not a 'must have'. It was 'innovation' but not better.. but it looked good. The new cabinet looks like it takes the necessary 'just make it functional' choices.. but the art really should have been reworked to better fill in the available space. And the BG really is a step back IMO.. maybe the speaker/lighting differences will make up for it.. but give me the bigger screen.

#2988 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The lit sides were nice, but not a 'must have'.

For me, not even a want really. I don't know how u guys have ur pins set up but the side art on mine could be simple blackness and I would rarely notice. Lets get them shipping and proven solid then gripe about side art and all other the shit. Just saying.

#2989 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I never had a beef with the looks of the old cabinet... just the build of it. The fragile material, the floppy sides, the redonkulous key setup, etc. The lit sides were nice, but not a 'must have'. It was 'innovation' but not better.. but it looked good. The new cabinet looks like it takes the necessary 'just make it functional' choices.. but the art really should have been reworked to better fill in the available space. And the BG really is a step back IMO.. maybe the speaker/lighting differences will make up for it.. but give me the bigger screen.

That's strange, because one of the things I love about the original cabinet is the build quality. If anything, it makes other cabinets look fragile.

For me, not even a want really. I don't know how u guys have ur pins set up but the side art on mine could be simple blackness and I would rarely notice. Lets get them shipping and proven solid then gripe about side art and all other the shit. Just saying.

The aesthetics of this game are really important, setting the tone. But the remake looks great to me. You are LordHummungus, get yourself one asap!

#2990 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

That's strange, because one of the things I love about the original cabinet is the build quality. If anything, it makes other cabinets look fragile.

I wouldn't confuse boxy with sturdy. It was made of pressboard/MDF. The shoulder of the lower cabinet is routed so thin for the side panels it can be broken with your hand. I've personally dealt with two smashed heads. The lighting is literally ebay level strip LEDs stuffed into corners.

The heighway concepts for the modules look sturdy vs just wood cutouts in other cabinets... but the cabinet itself is a bit of a diva.

#2991 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I wouldn't confuse boxy with sturdy. It was made of pressboard/MDF. The shoulder of the lower cabinet is routed so thin for the side panels it can be broken with your hand. I've personally dealt with two smashed heads. The lighting is literally ebay level strip LEDs stuffed into corners.
The heighway concepts for the modules look sturdy vs just wood cutouts in other cabinets... but the cabinet itself is a bit of a diva.

Well, I wish there were more divas like this one. I've been all over this thing and love it. Maybe the early ones weren't as well built, but this is a tank compared to so many other new games I've owned. Hope the new cabinet is quality as well.

#2992 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

You are LordHummungus, get yourself one asap!

I do want one but I don't want 1 of 100 then the whole thing goes tits up like the OG. I'll wait till its a sure thing. I'm in no rush and to be honest after all the shit with the first one its not the same. Its nothing new really. If Godzilla looks good then that will be my purchase this year. I can wait till 2022 to pick up an Alien.

#2993 3 years ago

Cab is actually plywood on all 4 sides, w MDF covering. When the magazine is in place it serves as a very stout structural element. Easily as strong as any other cab except where the plexi lives.( Thin routing on the top to facilitate).

I have 23 games and you can bet I found a perfect end cap to place my game, making it very prominent when all my other cabinets are actually dark. Innovative approach. Gorgeous.

Agreed that possible the biggest overlooked element is the 27" monitor on the back box.

People can argue the pf screen all they want, but it all added up.....the video editing on this game has no equal, and will never be realized by a single, smaller screen.

Physical ball lock a must? Shit, there goes my MMR, JJPPOTC, and several others out the door.

I WANT more Aliens in the world, but will not compare, as it's not really close ( except hopefully these can be attained at some point).

Very grateful there appear to only be a few " proto's" out there as opposed to a container and change that still flounder around here in the States. It's all most had to deal with.

Focus has to stay not on the game nor CT ( who everyone knows is amazing) but rather the actual Company that is going to build/ support this VE version.

I'll continue to hope and truly get/ understand the enthusiasm ( just have to believe me there). Seeing this, however, in no way conveys " Alien is alive". My 2 cents....

Added over 3 years ago:

"VE" = "Value Engineered" in this instance, not "Vault Edition" - a contractor phrase used in the industry to get it done for less $$$

#2994 3 years ago

Despite what might be described as angst from certain pinsiders
its-alive (resized).jpgits-alive (resized).jpg

#2995 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Despite what might be described as angst from certain pinsiders
[quoted image]

Your passion is admirable.....

#2996 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Well, I wish there were more divas like this one. I've been all over this thing and love it. Maybe the early ones weren't as well built, but this is a tank compared to so many other new games I've owned. Hope the new cabinet is quality as well.

Yep, agree . My OG certainly has the 'tank' feel about it. It certainly felt like a heavyweight when i set it up and had a kind of industrial feel about it.

#2997 3 years ago

I have a deposit down with cointaker. I plan to sell 1 of my 4 pins when Alien is ready. Question is- do i have time to sell one of my pins now (or trade), sneak in 2-3 months on the new pin, then turn around and sell it in time for "Q2 delivery/shipping" of Alien? When do we think the thing will actually ship? (I am in the Q2 not the Q1 group....). Thoughts?

#2998 3 years ago
Quoted from moat-pin:

I have a deposit down with cointaker. I plan to sell 1 of my 4 pins when Alien is ready. Question is- do i have time to sell one of my pins now (or trade), sneak in 2-3 months on the new pin, then turn around and sell it in time for "Q2 delivery/shipping" of Alien? When do we think the thing will actually ship? (I am in the Q2 not the Q1 group....). Thoughts?

I think u have lots of time for that. Best part is, if I'm wrong u win and if I'm right? u still win.

#2999 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Physical ball lock a must? Shit, there goes my MMR, JJPPOTC, and several others out the door.

JJPPOTC has the chest, which is a physically ball lock. However, I agree, not a requirement for a great game.

#3000 3 years ago

I think u have lots of time for that. Best part is, if I wrong u win and if I'm right? u still win.

haha - i like the win win logic

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/60?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.