20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 82.
#151 5 years ago

I'll say this about Kaneda he's always dogging Jersey Jack. He says well because they haven't made money that makes them not successful.

When we look around the room and all these guys got burned on Aliens, got burned on Big Lebowski, and the list goes on right?

How is Jersey Jack NOT successful... they have changed pinball forever. As the Joker said to Batman you've changed things forever there is no going back.

For better or worse pinballs are getting more interesting, cooler toys, full color screens with assets from the films, and so much more.

Dialed In has sold more games, and generated more money than Dutch, Spooky, Highway, American all of them COMBINED and thats before you add in WOZ, Hobbit, Pirates.

Jersey Jack doesn't deserve the wrath of Kaneda not at all... he's like a non-stop bully. Many companies go thru growing pains, many companies sell off equity for investment this is nothing new. Say what you want but JJ is still standing, and still innovating the industry.

Its time to move on from Aliens, and Big Lebowski and look to what is really going to happen, and support the companies who're actually doing it!

Time will tell on American Pinball, but the jury came in with a verdict most of these new pinball companies can't be trusted. I'm going to toss in DEEP ROOT until they can prove over the long haul they can navigate thru growing pains.

Jersey Jack - Stern - Chicago Gaming these are the three companies you can honestly trust with your money but it can change anything can.

Buying pinballs from new pinball companies is risky at best... we should all turn the page and look towards the future.

#152 5 years ago

He is giving JJP tough love, that's all.

#153 5 years ago

It almost seems as though some people, who work for any of the pinball companies whose secrets Kaneda has threatened to reveal, decided to invent some false information to feed Kaneda. Perhaps this is a way to get a little bit of revenge and also to ensure that, if he does reveal their secrets, his credibility will be tarnished to the point that the community is less likely to believe the real news. If so...brilliant plan.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'll say this about Kaneda he's always dogging Jersey Jack. He says well because they haven't made money that makes them not successful.
When we look around the room and all these guys got burned on Aliens, got burned on Big Lebowski, and the list goes on right?
How is Jersey Jack NOT successful... they have changed pinball forever. As the Joker said to Batman you've changed things forever there is no going back.
For better or worse pinballs are getting more interesting, cooler toys, full color screens with assets from the films, and so much more.
Dialed In has sold more games, and generated more money than Dutch, Spooky, Highway, American all of them COMBINED and thats before you add in WOZ, Hobbit, Pirates.
Jersey Jack doesn't deserve the wrath of Kaneda not at all... he's like a non-stop bully. Many companies go thru growing pains, many companies sell off equity for investment this is nothing new. Say what you want but JJ is still standing, and still innovating the industry.
Its time to move on from Aliens, and Big Lebowski and look to what is really going to happen, and support the companies who're actually doing it!
Time will tell on American Pinball, but the jury came in with a verdict most of these new pinball companies can't be trusted. I'm going to toss in DEEP ROOT until they can prove over the long haul they can navigate thru growing pains.
Jersey Jack - Stern - Chicago Gaming these are the three companies you can honestly trust with your money but it can change anything can.
Buying pinballs from new pinball companies is risky at best... we should all turn the page and look towards the future.

Simple solution stop listening to the spoiled brats podcast.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

It almost seems as though some people, who work for any of the pinball companies whose secrets Kaneda has threatened to reveal, decided to invent some false information to feed Kaneda. Perhaps this is a way to get a little bit of revenge and also to ensure that, if he does reveal their secrets, his credibility will be tarnished to the point that the community is less likely to believe the real news. If so...brilliant plan.

That could have happened. Kaneda put a new episode out today about both the Lebowski and Alien rumors. He pulled both episodes and admitted the Lebowski news isn't true. He also said he still thinks that the Alien remake is still occuring, that CGC is remaking it, unless who he's been in contact with him isn't telling him the truth.

#156 5 years ago

Hopefully people had enough of his shenanigans and there won't be a next time.Why do people listen to him anyway?

Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sad thing is next time he makes up more stuff, 8 threads will go crazy talking about it. No one will learn.
But I guess that’s the point. Gossip and drama make for more viewers.

#157 5 years ago

Alien will never be remade by a "different" pinball company for the many reasons I've stated time and time again every time people indulge in this fantasy. Those reasons were true last time people thought this was a "no brainer," and they'll be true next time.

I'm 100 percent sure of that.

If I'm wrong, I'll never post again and I'll get a tattoo of Odin on my ass.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That would please o-din to no end. But if you were really serious you’d promise to get Whysnow on the other cheek.

#159 5 years ago

I feel like I have as much experience with Alien as just about anyone. Levi, it's not a lemon - far from it. Yes, it suffers from some questionable design decisions, and long term reliability could be an issue. However, if you are reasonably familiar with working on pinball machines, and have a few spare parts on hand, there's no reason the game won't function rock solid for years.

Oh, and it's FUN. Sometimes it seems we forget this little part of the hobby - it's supposed to be FUN. If you like the Alien theme, this game immerses you into that world as good or better than any other pinball theme I've seen. IMHO, the code is really good, the sounds are AWESOME (David Theal FTW), and the video integration is great. Honestly, when it's working 100%, it's a great game.

As for the conspiracy theories of those who've sold recently, I can only speak for myself. I sold mine because I've owned an Alien since March 2017, and felt it was time for something new. The Alien universe is cool - but I was tired of being there after a couple years. That, combined with the fact I could make a few $$'s made it a pretty easy decision. With the $$ from Alien, I got a new Iron Maiden pro and still had enough $$ left to pad my 'pinball fund'....oh - got a nice project Haunted House too. Sure, I miss it sometimes, and would certainly consider picking up another if the price was right...but I've never felt good about spending more than $7,000 on any game.

As to the rumors of this being re-made by CGC - I'd say the chances of that happening are about 10% or less. I will give Levi credit here - it just doesn't make financial sense (and folks, most pinball companies exist to make $$).

#160 5 years ago

It’s amazing how many people on pinside complain about Kaneda but yet he can cause this site to go crazy. First a rumor is just that a rumor I give Kaneda credit for putting them out there. I give him credit he says what’s on his mind even if it is against the overall group think of Pinside. A guy like Kaneda is good for the hobby a personality who’s program is entertaining as well as informative, take the information for what it worth sometimes spot on sometimes not. I have listened to other podcasts and it’s like a high five fest. Every game is great, every company is great, our podcast is great and everything in the hobby is great as long as overall Pinside opinion agrees with it. Most podcasts are nothing but a snooze fest. So I hope Kaneda continues to put rumors out there, puts his opinion out there and is entertaining with his podcast.

#161 5 years ago

What I like about all this is, people think so highly of CGC that they are people’s “go to” re-manufacturer for all things grail shaped. Speaks volumes for CGC quality. Glad I bought an MBrLE. Now if it would just get here...

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

What I like about all this is, people think so highly of CGC that they are people’s “go to” re-manufacturer for all things grail shaped. Speaks volumes for CGC quality. Glad I bought an MBrLE. Now if it would just get here...

CGC probably has their shit together better than everyone else with the exception of Stern. That's a mixture of high praise for them and how low the bar is. Just getting a desirable product out the door in a somewhat timely manner gets them high on the list.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Simple solution stop listening to the spoiled brats podcast.

Completely agree, and much more than a "spoiled brat" mentality. Toxic, which makes it oddly appealing for some to listen too, which then further feeds the need for attention.

I remember many of the old threads before he was perma banned.....we all hoped he would grow weary of his new found pinball hobby...no such luck..

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

how low the bar is

The shit CGC “has together” IS their quality imo and I think MBrLE delays due to quality is the only thing holding back peoples tongues on giving them shit for the delays. If my MBrLE shows up looking like recent NIB Sterns I have helped unbox and set up and play, my vote of glowing confidence in CGC would be shot to shit. I think Stern makes great machines for operators. CGC makes great remakes for collectors and operators. It sure does help knowing your title is well recieved before you even build the first one. This is not lost on the management at CGC or their competition. When CGC releases their first hit non-remake, that is when everybody else should start worrying and shaking in their boots. But have we heard one peep on a rumor of “WHO” is designing their first OG title? Lets just start throwing designer names on the wall and see which one sticks, like a dirty pair of underwear...

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm 100 percent sure of that.

Quoted for historical purposes

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRockDude:

First a rumor is just that a rumor I give Kaneda credit for putting them out there. I give him credit he says what’s on his mind even if it is against the overall group think of Pinside. A guy like Kaneda is good for the hobby a personality who’s program is entertaining as well as informative, take the information for what it worth sometimes spot on sometimes not. I have listened to other podcasts and it’s like a high five fest. Every game is great, every company is great, our podcast is great and everything in the hobby is great as long as overall Pinside opinion agrees with it. Most podcasts are nothing but a snooze fest. So I hope Kaneda continues to put rumors out there, puts his opinion out there and is entertaining with his podcast.

Couldn't disagree more. Kaneda has very little interest in our hobby, and certainly not the reason he started the podcast.....he's getting what he truly wants/ needs...attention....that's it....done talking of him...

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I feel like I have as much experience with Alien as just about anyone. Levi, it's not a lemon - far from it.

Not sure about that. Game looks great to me as well but it did appear most pins delivered had a variety of issues. Early examples needed a whole new playfield assembly transplant to work correctly. Even after the company folded, there is a large scale effort to get these pins sorted and working correctly. It did seem like the last few pins made were coming together but the whole thing just seemed like a mess. Maybe it was the result of Heighway going under and trying to get games out or maybe it was the reason Heighway went under.

I totally agree with Levi. No way anyone would take on this mess. Heighway still owes people games and probably facing variety of legal issues. Doubt it would be that easy to just make a few runs of Alien even if manufacturing it was easy and licensing squared away. Making pins and being profitable is hard enough proven time and time again. Why go through all that trouble for a pin that honestly is not that popular? It's not even in the top 50 according to pinside reviews.

#168 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It's not even in the top 50 according to pinside reviews.

While I don't think Alien is a great game...I just want to say that the Pinside top 100 list is not to be trusted as a barometer of anything.

#169 5 years ago

OK, since this thread is quickly dying its well-deserved death, let's just go over this one more time for you "no-brainer!" types. This can just be cut and pasted into future Alien fantasy threads. Here's why Alien will never be remade:

1. The game needs to be completely re-engineered and redesigned to be reliable and fit into whatever cabinet is being used.

2. Possible licensing issues.

3. Possible legal issues and liabilities.

4. There's dozens of better projects for a pinball company to invest their time in that will be more profitable, less expensive, and easier, without the legal and ethical baggage attached to the Alien disaster.

Alien cannot be "remade." It needs to be redone. You are basically making a new game from the ground up, with all the time, costs, and hassles that this entails, with the added fun of trying to clean up the disaster that was Heighway Pinball's amateur design and engineering and the hundreds of pissed off former customers they left in their hydrofoil-induced wake. So once again, why make Alien?

I've never once heard a convincing case or an educated argument why it would make even the slightest amount of sense.

#170 5 years ago

I've never seen Alien. Good movie?

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I've never seen Alien. Good movie?

Alien is great. Aliens is great. The others are garbage.

Is Aliens better than Alien? The debate will rage on forever, much like Terminator and T2.

I think push comes to shove I'm an Alien and T2 guy.

#172 5 years ago

We only care about the tattoo on your ass.....

#173 5 years ago

Hey if they want to pump a bunch of $$ to better the design - and sell it at the $6.5K price point, I'd seriously consider buying one. One of the best games I've ever played. Loved the theme and everything about it.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Alien is great. Aliens is great. The others are garbage.
Is Aliens better than Alien? The debate will rage on forever, much like Terminator and T2.
I think push comes to shove I'm an Alien and T2 guy.

agreed.....

#175 5 years ago

You gotta hand it to James Cameron for making two amazing sequels to beloved classics, many years after the originals.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 5 years ago

I’m sure his e-peen is loving all these name drops, can’t help to think this all accomplished his goal anyways, to get himself mentioned dozens of times.

If I was him, I’d take a good long sabbatical and come back when I had something new and interesting to say.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Jersey Jack - Stern - Chicago Gaming these are the three companies you can honestly trust with your money

Game 1 - sold out, all delivered
Game 2 - sold out, all delivered
Game 3 - contract, all delivered
Game 4 - contract, all delivered
Game 5 - expected 100 to 200... sold 550, multiple best in show, Pinball News "Game of the Year". All delivered
Game 6 - in production for rest of 2019, well over 400 of 500 sold
Game 7 - in development
Game 8 - in development

We'll try harder (and I mean that... we always are!) We're never going to make 1,000 of anything, but we're going to cross the 2,000 games delivered mark this year.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I'm sure it's a rumor, but being an Alien owner I'm telling ya fellas this game rocks! I said this all along, if Stern or JJP would have made this pin it would have been a HUGE seller for them. This movie franchise has been around for 40 years and is growing strong, with a new movie coming out comprised of (6) short stories using the Alien universe. Alien is right up there with Terminator (2 pins) and Predator fanbases, and look how many people wanted that pin!
People will always speculate. You can ask yourself... Okay...(3) Alien pins was up for sale on Pinside just last week. Do the owners know something we don't know! Probably sold them because they are going for crazy prices now. They said the same thing about MM when the remakes were first announced and do you remember those crazy prices?
I call BS on this one, but I would still like to see this pin get remade by a reputable manufacturer and put out in the hands of players and collectors. You won't be disappointed.
But just in case it does come up true.... Chicago Gaming Company....can you make the new boards compatible with the Heighway boards??? Oh, and make a cool topper too. Tee Hee.

I just wanted to throw out there that when it was playable at golden state pin fest last year, the number one comment I heard was that it was a shame they wouldn't really be for sale.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

We'll try harder (and I mean that... we always are!) We're never going to make 1,000 of anything, but we're going to cross the 2,000 games delivered mark this year.

#180 5 years ago

Game 5 - expected 100 to 200... sold 550, multiple best in show, Pinball News "Game of the Year". All delivered
Game 7 - in development
Game 8 - in development

Congrats on your success.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

While I don't think Alien is a great game...I just want to say that the Pinside top 100 list is not to be trusted as a barometer of anything.

True but it does give you a pretty general idea of how popular games are. I don't agree that MB is the best game ever or MM is second best but no denying those games are extremely popular. If given time, maybe Alien could of established itself more as a solid top 10 pin in the community. Reality is that it has not.

#182 5 years ago

Game 7 - in development
Game 8 - in development

I like Spooky!!

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You gotta hand it to James Cameron for making two amazing sequels to beloved classics, many years after the originals.

No doubt....saw Alien and Aliens in the Theatre upon release....Alien scared the shit out of me.... Classics in their own way.....good times...

#184 5 years ago

Game 7 - in development
Game 8 - in development

Right on Chuck.....just one killer theme away from making a 1000.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Right on Chuck.....just one killer theme away from making a 1000.

He should make Alien.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Couldn't disagree more. Kaneda has very little interest in our hobby, and certainly not the reason he started the podcast.....he's getting what he truly wants/ needs...attention....that's it....done talking of him...

Thanks for proving my point you don’t like what Kaneda does but you keep talking about him. Yes he does bring something to the hobby personality.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's a no-brainer!!!!!

even a caveman could figure that one out.

#189 5 years ago

Game 7 - in development
Game 8 - in development

Wait... Charlie is reading the Alien thread evaluating interest. Now it is clear that Spooky is going to manufacture Alien! Nice job guys, look forward to the release.

spooky (resized).jpgspooky (resized).jpg
#190 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

True but it does give you a pretty general idea of how popular games are. I don't agree that MB is the best game ever or MM is second best but no denying those games are extremely popular. If given time, maybe Alien could of established itself more as a solid top 10 pin in the community. Reality is that it has not.

Because most people’s exposure to it was at shows with skeleton code, non-working mechs and a handful of modes/sounds/videos. I didn’t like it at all when I played it at shows - but with complete and polished code it’s one of my favorites. I’ve owned 29 of the Pinside top 50 and I would put it in the top 20 easily.

Also of note - the best sound guy in the business that did the Alien sounds - David Thiel - only owns one pinball machine - Alien. There’s a recent podcast where he talks about how awesome Alien turned out once completely finished.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Because most people’s exposure to it was at shows with skeleton code, non-working mechs and a handful of modes/sounds/videos. I didn’t like it at all when I played it at shows - but with complete and polished code it’s one of my favorites. I’ve owned 29 of the Pinside top 50 and I would put it in the top 20 easily.
Also of note - the best sound guy in the business that did the Alien sounds - David Thiel - only owns one pinball machine - Alien. There’s a recent podcast where he talks about how awesome Alien turned out once completely finished.

That's kinda my point. Few people have played it and ones that have probably played an early broken version like myself. If CGC or anyone did take this project on, they would have to not only invest in re-engineering the pin but also marketing to overcome past bad exposure. Past classic B/W games already have a good reputation for reliability and gameplay. You don't really need to market MBr because people already know what to expect. Alien is very different and way more risk. It's a shame because I bet it's a really good game.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Early examples needed a whole new playfield assembly transplant to work correctly. Even after the company folded, there is a large scale effort to get these pins sorted and working correctly. It did seem like the last few pins made were coming together but the whole thing just seemed like a mess.

True. Early examples were actually still pre-production prototypes. I know this because I purchased one at TPF in 2017. At that time Andrew promised me - FACE TO FACE - that it was a production machine and the only thing missing were the Xeno boards which would be available in only TWO WEEKS!! That was a big fat lie. The truth was the game was still in development, and Andrew was selling these pre-prod models because he needed the cash. In order to update the code on that machine I would have to update MANY hardware parts including all GI, Xeno, Drops, PC...maybe more. Ask knockerlover how complicated it was, as he ended up with my machine once I traded it for a TRUE production model.

And yeah, even the true production ready Aliens had a few minor issues (Xeno tongue gear, for example), but overall the games ran great and are a ton of FUN to play. So I guess I just take exception to saying the GAME is a lemon...but have no problems saying the process of getting them out (and getting RELIABLE ones finally produced) was a complete clusterf*ck.

But enough rehashing history. Let's all agree there's probably zero chance we ever see any more of these come off any production line.

#193 5 years ago

A whole new aliens game. Better to me.

And then we can just play this one when we see it.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

A whole new aliens game

But by who? Stern, CGC, or JJP? Or Spooky, Homepin, DR, or Dark Horse Pinball?

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's because most people haven't been able to spend any time with it. Very limited exposure at shows.. and it's not the type of game that you figure out right away because it's geometry is significantly different from the cookie cutter games.

Play the game where you can hear it, put many games on to get dialed in, and have someone to explain the bigger things going on... and you'll be hooked if you're a player.

The fact many people don't know that... really doesn't matter

Edit; yes to your point its harder to market vs a 'known hit' - and I agree that's a reason for CGC to stick to the known commodities.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

But by who? Stern, CGC, or JJP? Or Spooky, Homepin, DR, or Dark Horse Pinball?

You left out Great Lakes Pinball

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

You left out Great Lakes Pinball

Apologies to any and all that I missed, the list changes daily

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK, since this thread is quickly dying its well-deserved death, let's just go over this one more time for you "no-brainer!" types. This can just be cut and pasted into future Alien fantasy threads. Here's why Alien will never be remade:
1. The game needs to be completely re-engineered and redesigned to be reliable and fit into whatever cabinet is being used.
2. Possible licensing issues.
3. Possible legal issues and liabilities.
4. There's dozens of better projects for a pinball company to invest their time in that will be more profitable, less expensive, and easier, without the legal and ethical baggage attached to the Alien disaster.
Alien cannot be "remade." It needs to be redone. You are basically making a new game from the ground up, with all the time, costs, and hassles that this entails, with the added fun of trying to clean up the disaster that was Heighway Pinball's amateur design and engineering and the hundreds of pissed off former customers they left in their hydrofoil-induced wake. So once again, why make Alien?
I've never once heard a convincing case or an educated argument why it would make even the slightest amount of sense.

Well now I'm totally conflicted and don't know what to hope for...

On the one hand, I would really love to see Kaneda be wrong about this if it means he'll finally go away with his inflamatory BS podcast.

On the other, Levi is just so damned sure of himself that it would be fun to watch him eat cake, so to speak.

Also, I have played Alien and thought it was really cool. Interesting shots and you can get some flow going if you're making them. Not a cookie-cutter layout, and the theme integration is killer. Didn't miss Sigourney at all, there's enough there without her.

So I guess I'd have to say that given all the hard work that went into making this game and how awesome and underappreciated it is, I hope that they do produce it and make it available to the masses. Along with that I hope everyone who hasn't been properly compensated for its development is made whoie as well.

...and if they don't, Kaneda ending his podcast is a really nice consolation prize.

#199 5 years ago

Don't know if it's just me but I had significant interest in the game early on but that pretty much vanished in a hurry when things got messy. If the game was ever reproduced, it would take a lot more than the game being fun to sell me.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well now I'm totally conflicted and don't know what to hope for...
On the one hand, I would really love to see Kaneda be wrong about this if it means he'll finally go away with his inflamatory BS podcast.

Well, he's already backtracked on that promise. He's trying to frame it as he wasn't going to quit if he was wrong because he was so sure of himself, but instead that he might want to walk away from the hobby because he's disappointed he's been lied to. I think he will somehow manage to get over the disappointment and struggle on. No mention of the tattoo either!

Anyway, it was a stupid thing to say and that's not why he should quit making podcasts if he ever does. Of course there was a lot of stupid things said on those podcasts. Does anyone have these downloaded, I'd kind of like to save them for posterity.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/4?hl=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.