20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg

There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 82.
#1301 3 years ago

The problem with this pin is not so much whether it's value for money. Stern have showed that you can keep driving the BOM costs down and charge the same amount or more and people will still buy them.

The issue, I think, is having the confidence to buy the pin and know that PB will be around to back it. As far as I can tell they are replicating the old board sets which have reliability questions around them. We already know the pin is losing the playfield LCD - one of its USPs imo. Apparently the Alien tongue mech is also absent?

The company itself appears to exist only on social media. Who do you go to when you need support? What confidence do you have that they will be around in X years time? What jurisdiction would you need to take them to court in, if it came to it?

The people behind PB have form for phoenixing the company when things look a bit grim. Whose to say that they won't do the same and come back again as "Pinball Uncles", offering 50% off v3 of Alien? "This time we've got it sorted". Maybe hyperbole, but it was a rough ride for a lot of people last time around and its debatable how much PB were involved in continuing to take peoples' money when they knew the company was doomed.

#1302 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Apparently the Alien tongue mech is also absent?

The tongue mech is present in their latest teaser post. You can see it extended out to the magnet on the playfield.

B0EB0E37-6D9D-4A22-A5FC-4E5130196A0C.jpegB0EB0E37-6D9D-4A22-A5FC-4E5130196A0C.jpeg
#1303 3 years ago

Thanks for the correction

#1304 3 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

The tongue mech is present in their latest teaser post. You can see it extended out to the magnet on the playfield.
[quoted image]

Probably it’s the only purpose of this picture. I don’t see other.

#1305 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Stern have showed that you can keep driving the BOM costs down and charge the same amount or more and people will still buy them.

Where do u come up with this horseshit? People buy Stern games because they are fun, Jesus the last couple yrs in my opinion anyway Stern has made some of the best pins of all time and I'm not sure what some of u guys are doing with these machines but I've had next to no issues at all. JJP is a premium manufacturer and some of the OPs I know won't touch em due to issues. They complain about Stern as well, where is this BOM issue? AIQ,DP, JP2, TMNT, etc while not my taste theme wise are all great pins.

#1306 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The company itself appears to exist only on social media. Who do you go to when you need support? What confidence do you have that they will be around in X years time? What jurisdiction would you need to take them to court in, if it came to it?

I agree with u here but if someone wants to take that chance the I'm all for it as it might make the company flourish and I'll be able to grab an Alien pin down the road with confidence. I believe they know that people are hesitant and unless they get an American company to produce these games where we can have easy access to tech support and know they are easily accessible its too high risk. For me anyway. I want one but not diving in till its a proven operation.

#1307 3 years ago

Would have been great to see some new playfield art, I remember reading Aurich posts years ago saying something along the lines of Andrew not giving him a great deal of art assets to work with and what he got was a mix of comic, movie and artist renditions, a new cohesive design would have been the icing on the cake.

#1308 3 years ago

who will be making, or has already made, the playfields for this game ? full art ? cut outs around posts ? washers ? hammer-tested ? warranty ?

#1309 3 years ago

So far what Im seeing looks the same as our current machines.

#1310 3 years ago

When people can come to grips w the fact that Alien's problem wasn't the machine itself, but rather the company (or lack thereof) stepping up and supporting it, working out the kinks, etc. then clarity is achieved here.

Having CGC make this (original thread title) would have been really exciting.

Maybe I'm missing something, but would rather see posts/ pics of a factory for assembly, support structure (name dropping), etc. than what is being shown now.

I'll just hope for the best at this point....

#1311 3 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The people behind PB have form for phoenixing the company when things look a bit grim. Whose to say that they won't do the same and come back again as "Pinball Uncles", offering 50% off v3 of Alien? "This time we've got it sorted".

This comment refers to the 50% off voucher for those who pre-ordered from Heighway, I think. For clarification, the offer from PB is for a voucher to be used at distributors and expires in 12/2023. So the 50% off isn’t a request from PB for more pre-order money. It’s a good will gesture for those customers who (in addition to PB) got ripped off by Andrew. I hope it will be well received.

I also hope something will be done to aid those employees and contractors who also got ripped off, because the game they created is nothing short of amazing.

#1312 3 years ago

I read, at least 50% AT LEAST 50%

from my point of view At least 50% is not we offer 50%

#1313 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

When people can come to grips w the fact that Alien's problem wasn't the machine itself, but rather the company (or lack thereof) stepping up and supporting it, working out the kinks, etc. then clarity is achieved here.

Nah, the product (and not just the shell of a company behind it) was still a problem. 'working out the kinks' as you put it is the elephant in the room. Choices made, platform designs, and others needed to be thrown out and redone. These were largely mechanical, electrical, and management choices that were all made in the UK and the US team had no control over. They had to work with what they had.

That's why I'm still hopeful they have purged their demons - because failing to do so won't let the title flourish as it should be able to.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Maybe I'm missing something, but would rather see posts/ pics of a factory for assembly, support structure (name dropping), etc. than what is being shown now.

Well that's why they are teases... When they launch the product hopefully they acknowledge more of that.

#1314 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nah, the product (and not just the shell of a company behind it) was still a problem. 'working out the kinks' as you put it is the elephant in the room. Choices made, platform designs, and others needed to be thrown out and redone. These were largely mechanical, electrical, and management choices that were all made in the UK and the US team had no control over. They had to work with what they had.
That's why I'm still hopeful they have purged their demons - because failing to do so won't let the title flourish as it should be able to.

Well that's why they are teases... When they launch the product hopefully they acknowledge more of that.

There were less than 200 games when everything went sideways. PB could have definitely worked the kinks out. The game itself simply doesn't have the "elephants" you refer too, warranting a complete redo to bring the title back.

I will hope a version w factory support gets released that more people can enjoy.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this topic. Nothing personal, but you're wrong..

#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My LE #001 had the following issue: plug in a usb cable to a connector. Way more problems with two JJPOTCs, IMDN, BM66, etc etc.

#1316 3 years ago

The machine itself is not so bad as the most think.
Sure, there were some issues, but really nothing that could have been solved by support through the company.
In my opinion the community solved the most problems and gave a lot of advice to do it right!
Now PB offers a return of the ALIEN but feeds us small bites.
Why this hide and seek, why not an offensive discussion talking about what's good or bad, suggestions or really interesting news?

#1317 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The machine itself is not so bad as the most think.
Sure, there were some issues, but really nothing that could have been solved by support through the company.
In my opinion the community solved the most problems and gave a lot of advice to do it right!
Now PB offers a return of the ALIEN but feeds us small bites.
Why this hide and seek, why not an offensive discussion talking about what's good or bad, suggestions or really interesting news?

Hopefully a lot will be disclosed on the Friday podcast.

#1318 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Having CGC make this (original thread title) would have been really exciting.
I'll just hope for the best at this point....

Sorry, but the problem was also the machine's engineering or lack of. My launch wireform broke the first day, the machine wouldn't work so I had to rebuild the computer, the switch connectors were crap. Had to fix the tongue grab on the alien. Other problems, just can't remember off the top of my head.

That said - when it worked it was one of the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Just hope they take the time and spend the money to make it more reliable.

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

My LE #001 had the following issue: plug in a usb cable to a connector. Way more problems with two JJPOTCs, IMDN, BM66, etc etc.

I'm happy that the game you just got two months ago has been great for you... but you're one of the luckiest if you've not dealt with

You never had disco lights
You never had 48v shutdowns leading to intermittent flipper stops
You never had cracked plastics
You never had any xeno jaw issues
You never had any xeno tongue issues
You never had any display connector issues
You never had ball launch issues

There are many issues with the mechanical and electrical design of the HWP product that many faithful just dismiss as either solved after the fact or just live with... like disco lights, xeno reliability, etc.

#1320 3 years ago

Sold, regret, kept topper, will buy again lol

3BD6E90D-6BA1-4CF5-A6DD-79CED787BB39 (resized).jpeg3BD6E90D-6BA1-4CF5-A6DD-79CED787BB39 (resized).jpeg
#1321 3 years ago

It's things like these when it's happen... connector from Ball Trough Opto-Board is broken off.
Have to solder a new one and then it's fixed again.
But this also happens to other machines, too!

DSCN8396 (resized).JPGDSCN8396 (resized).JPG

#1322 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sorry, but the problem was also the machine's engineering or lack of. My launch wireform broke the first day, the machine wouldn't work so I had to rebuild the computer, the switch connectors were crap. Had to fix the tongue grab on the alien. Other problems, just can't remember off the top of my head.
That said - when it worked it was one of the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Just hope they take the time and spend the money to make it more reliable.

If Stern or JJP had a broken wireform, an improved version would have been sent. Happens all the time.
Bad electronics? We can visit early Spike revs from Stern....they fixed it.
Bad mechs or electronics on a JJP? They fixed it or removed it (think POTC troubleshooting thread alone is over 3k w massive subset...I own an LE and love it btw).

Constant re-engineering/ support from viable manufacturers is commonplace (and sometimes they still break) over thousands of games/ titles. Alien= 0.

The lack of support is what failed the game, not the other way around.

The games needed factory support and had problems. There was never even a schematic available. Owners had to sort things on their own.

I'm working, and truthfully treating this as an ongoing speculation thread, hence my interest. No time or desire to rehash the past. My game is as solid as any in my lineup currently. Is what it is.

We all want to believe...I know I do....

#1323 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm happy that the game you just got two months ago has been great for you... but you're one of the luckiest if you've not dealt with
You never had disco lights
You never had 48v shutdowns leading to intermittent flipper stops
You never had cracked plastics
You never had any xeno jaw issues
You never had any xeno tongue issues
You never had any display connector issues
You never had ball launch issues
There are many issues with the mechanical and electrical design of the HWP product that many faithful just dismiss as either solved after the fact or just live with... like disco lights, xeno reliability, etc.

Guess I'm lucky, I don't even know what you mean by disco lights. I did replace the DVI cable to the playfield screen. The early run games you worked on had a lot of problems, the later ones not as much. I hope Pinball Brothers has more consistency.

#1324 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Guess I'm lucky, I don't even know what you mean by disco lights. I did replace the DVI cable to the playfield screen. The early run games you worked on had a lot of problems, the later ones not as much. I hope Pinball Brothers has more consistency.

I had one of the last from cointaker - It took me quite a while to get it up and running. I bought it basically knowing it would work upon setup.

#1325 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

The early run games had more mashup of parts and assembly issues... but really are essentially the same as the late builds with a few changes like the scoop insert. In my circle of friends there was everything from the show prototypes, to returns, to late buys from PBs. The efforts to get those games up to snuff have been documented plenty in other threads here.

Disco lights refers to the unintentional flickering of the game inserts due to EMI and vibration. It was attempted to be minimized in software, and there are tricks like trying to position the LED wiring in certain ways to minimize it further. Ultimately it's a hardware design issue with the controlled light driver system.

The game has a lot of weaknesses in its engineering that people would want to revamp if they were to repeat.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1326 3 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I had one of the last from cointaker - It took me quite a while to get it up and running. I bought it basically knowing it would work upon setup.

Perhaps Roger, the owner of Pinball Brothers, dialed mine in before I received it. It had pretty low plays but no issues previously that I know about. I did have feedback from a number of owners of late LE run games that have been lucky as well, or I wouldn't have done it. In fact, I was waiting for the remake a year and a half before I bought mine.

#1327 3 years ago

When are they suppose to announce pricing?

#1328 3 years ago

I had one of the last LE's from Wayne in Australia.

One adjustment of the Alien head stepper motor. That's it. It's been perfect and one of the best pins i own and last one i'd sell.

I'm so glad i never sold my original Alien LE on the news i knew about 2 years ago.

#1329 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

One adjustment of the Alien head stepper motor. That's it. It's been perfect and one of the best pins i own and last one i'd sell.
I'm so glad i never sold my original Alien LE on the news i knew about 2 years ago.

I also received one of the last LE's from Wayne in Australia. It's been very solid. The only issues I've had were bounce backs into the ball trough and straight down the middle ejects from the air lock. Both issues were solved by properly leveling the game.

I did have both face hugger tails (on the slings) break off two weeks ago. Both broke off within an hour of each other. Other then that, I've literally had no issues with this game. It's been surprisingly solid and more reliable then my Big Lebowski.

QSS

#1330 3 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I also received one of the last LE's from Wayne in Australia. It's been very solid. The only issues I've had were bounce backs into the ball trough and straight down the middle ejects from the air lock. Both issues were solved by properly leveling the game.
I did have both face hugger tails (on the slings) break off two weeks ago. Both broke off within an hour of each other. Other then that, I've literally had no issues with this game. It's been surprisingly solid and more reliable then my Big Lebowski.
QSS

Yes my Wayne purchase was also solid. Only thing that really needed adjusting was the xenomorph head, the bolts were too tight causing it to seize. Then the rest was all about leveling. Once that was done, it has been pretty bullet proof.

And dont forget this fell over and landed on my leg, was laying on its side on the ground for nearly 2-3 months before I finally could get help to get it back up, and the only thing that was damaged? One sire light which I replaced and one LED bulb in the first chain connected to the eggs, and all working 100%. Bullet proof indeed.. leg not!

#1331 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

QSS

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes my Wayne purchase was also solid. Only thing that really needed adjusting was the xenomorph head, the bolts were too tight causing it to seize. Then the rest was all about leveling. Once that was done, it has been pretty bullet proof.

Man, now I'm wishing I picked up one of Wayne's (he's just down the road) before he shipped them over to you guys ...

Anyway to good to hear that batch was pretty solid

#1332 3 years ago
Screenshot_20201215-005819_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201215-005819_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1333 3 years ago
4F5EEA03-F03B-46E6-AE7A-4484732C0252.jpeg4F5EEA03-F03B-46E6-AE7A-4484732C0252.jpeg
#1334 3 years ago

Was there issues with the original ramps or shot geometry? Just wondering why they would have redesigned them, or maybe it was simply manufacturing costs

#1335 3 years ago

If you ever removed both ramps from Heighway's ALIEN, then you know why!
And if you take a closer look to the playfield then, it's obviously that the design went wrong.

#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

If you ever removed both ramps from Heighway's ALIEN, then you know why!
And if you take a closer look to the playfield then, it's obviously that the design went wrong.

Like they were going to do entrance switches but didn’t.

#1337 3 years ago

For me it seems that the ramps should have had a position nearly 10 mm foreward.
For instance, I can attribute this to the fact that the rear plastic parts would then have fit exactly. So there are holes where there is no post.
In addition, both ramps have left and right these small lugs whose holes should actually fit with the front posts.
And what you see in the PB picture is exactly the difference... the new ramp design fits perfect to the excisting posts to screw them in that position.
Not a good job is, that PB designed smaller flaps, but this was made not to cover the inserts in front of the ramp.
I remember the very bad material of the Heighway flaps mounted to the ramps, so Cliffy and I designed new flaps made of better stainless steel..

#1338 3 years ago

I just have to say one thing about all this. Alien is the one pin I REALLY enjoy playing the most. Mine has been really reliable (small adjustment on the ball launch and I just got a broken switch on the right ramp) and I still feel like I just battled a bunch of aliens after playing a game. It's that intense. Mr. Thiel did an excellent job on the sound and kudos to everybody else involved. I know I sound like a broken record because I said this before, but when a pin comes together like Alien did you can't help but gush about it.

I hope this company goes thru with the manufacturing of this pin. Heck, I like the idea of possibly having to order some parts from this company in case I need to, maybe a spare facehugger or two if they do it. I never could understand why Chicago Gaming wouldn't sell the toppers for MB, MM and AFM and haven't rigged up somehow to work with the Williams' electronics. They could have made some good money.

I put some mods on my pin and I have MK6pin's apron coming in a week or two. Cant wait for the hypersleep chamber mod to come out being made by one of our pinsiders and he confirmed his company will start making them once he finishes up with various other topper designs. I really want to max my pin out because it's a keeper for me and, to me, money well spent. Anything to immerse me more in the gameplay, which is already off the hooks.

You secure that shit Hudson!

#1339 3 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I just have to say one thing about all this. Alien is the one pin I REALLY enjoy playing the most. Mine has been really reliable (small adjustment on the ball launch and I just got a broken switch on the right ramp) and I still feel like I just battled a bunch of aliens after playing a game. It's that intense. Mr. Thiel did an excellent job on the sound and kudos to everybody else involved. I know I sound like a broken record because I said this before, but when a pin comes together like Alien did you can't help but gush about it.
I hope this company goes thru with the manufacturing of this pin. Heck, I like the idea of possibly having to order some parts from this company in case I need to, maybe a spare facehugger or two if they do it. I never could understand why Chicago Gaming wouldn't sell the toppers for MB, MM and AFM and haven't rigged up somehow to work with the Williams' electronics. They could have made some good money.
I put some mods on my pin and I have MK6pin's apron coming in a week or two. Cant wait for the hypersleep chamber mod to come out being made by one of our pinsiders and he confirmed his company will start making them once he finishes up with various other topper designs. I really want to max my pin out because it's a keeper for me and, to me, money well spent. Anything to immerse me more in the gameplay, which is already off the hooks.
You secure that shit Hudson!

Ditto Indypin
My late / last batch LE has been Super reliable and an absolute joy to play , absolute keeper ans also looking to max out on great mods.

The only very minor problems i have had in just under 2 years of ownership are :

One LED partially failed (the green element failed, red and blue continued to work)

Ball launch adjustment

Simple Top right flipper fix

Thats it! Seems like a few batches of Alien were pretty reliable.

#1340 3 years ago
Quoted from chrishoyle99:

Ditto Indypin
My late / last batch LE has been Super reliable and an absolute joy to play , absolute keeper ans also looking to max out on great mods.
The only very minor problems i have had in just under 2 years of ownership are :
One LED partially failed (the green element failed, red and blue continued to work)
Ball launch adjustment
Simple Top right flipper fix
Thats it! Seems like a few batches of Alien were pretty reliable.

Now there are six of us here in short sequence reporting extremely reliable late run games. I know of many more, so it seems that is a trend rather than luck. Hopefully that keeps going with the remake.

#1341 3 years ago

Man for the first time since Maiden I'm getting excited. Its nice to feel that way about new pinball again. I really hope this takes off and is made in the States, easily bought lets say summer 2021.

#1342 3 years ago

When does everyone think the new batch will go on sale? Price point given there are less features than the original? Color me curious.

#1343 3 years ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

When does everyone think the new batch will go on sale? Price point given there are less features than the original? Color me curious.

Hopefully all will be revealed on Friday.

#1344 3 years ago

I'll be buying this, particularly as US pinball imports to Europe are dead for the foreseeable, thanks to certain fuckup politicians. Buying European is now first choice. I'm getting Big Lebowski delivered this week It's already arrived in the UK.

#1345 3 years ago

I haven't posted on pinside in years. I was fortunate way back when to get the $6500.00 back I sent Andrew for an Alien pin right before Heighway went under. I counted my blessings, shut my mouth, and stepped away.

But this speculation of the revival of the Alien pin has peaked my interest again in pinball, as for as putting a second pin in the back of my theater room.

I have a lovely TWDLE and haven't seen a theme that has interested me since Alien.

The only other themes that would open my pocketbook would be Resident Evil and maybe Jaws. (edit... and The Fifth Element would be a hoot)

And now I wait. A factory supported Alien pin with all the kinks worked out would be something I wouldn't be able to avoid eagerly owning.

If it's going to happen, I sure hope all of the audio work Mr Theil did is preserved.

#1346 3 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Hopefully all will be revealed on Friday.

Can't wait to hear that podcast. This is the only one of the recently released pins that peak my interest. Bummer about not having the playfield screen but I'm still optimistic.

#1347 3 years ago

Pique / piques / piqued

Sorry, it’s triggering me

#1348 3 years ago
671831E8-8BB1-4D3C-850B-2D16824CABEA.jpeg671831E8-8BB1-4D3C-850B-2D16824CABEA.jpeg
#1349 3 years ago

Looks like lit weapon standups there?. ... so white instead of green? (see the light dot same as Xeno standups)

Hopefully they switched to leafs, those SMD switches are so prone to failure.

#1350 3 years ago

Is that scoop the same as the original game? Art seems to close to the edge for wear

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/27?hl=yokimato and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.