20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg
A9F4C5E8-5E36-44E8-8A8D-0B47B8CB785F (resized).jpeg

There are 4,060 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 82.
#951 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Levi seems to have caught a bad case of FOOT IN MOUTH! Iceman was right again!!
Alien is coming baby.
Love when pinball comes together and exceeds my expectations.

LMAO. It's like people have learned nothing. It is way too easy to post BS of 'hey look what we're doing!'. It doesn't matter how many social media posts people make to hype it with their veiled teasers, until machines are coming off the line, nothing is coming. Now to see how many people throw money at 'pre-orders' after the 'never again' moments. I can't see why anyone would fund this up front and without that, I don't see how they are going to make any. Chicken/Egg scenario...and has been shown already, just because they are coming off the line doesn't mean they will continue to come off the line...

I know many of us would absolutely love this to be true, but let's keep our wits about us.

#952 1 year ago
Quoted from locke987:

Last update from PB ....any changes here in the Layout?
[quoted image]

The fixed one of the things that were never broken with optos there.

#953 1 year ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

...They've put the second magnet back.
During development of the original, this was intended to snatch the ball out of the right orbit, and drop it into the chestburster area as a feed to the upper right flipper. It got dropped because the playfield sat directly onto the interior rails of the cabinet, and no mechs could clash with that space. We spent ages trying to come up with a decent workaround that would do the same thing, and eventually had to drop it altogether as a matter of cost - we were overthinking it and making any potential 'solution' way too expensive. But now that they've gone back to what looks like Bally/Williams cabinet interior standards, the edge restriction has been removed, and that magnet can go back in.
So what you're seeing here with the revision is pretty much the same game, minus the playfield screen expense, but with even more flow than the original actually has.
This has got me genuinely excited to see what else they've done, and I *DESIGNED* that original. [quoted image]

Can you explain where this magnet is sitting exactly and how it was supposed to get the ball on the upper right flipper?
From the drawing, it is not clear to me.

The magnet was supposed to work in all modes this way, or sometimes?

I'm asking, because I'm the type of buy who would attempt to retrofit something like this, against everyone's advise

#954 1 year ago

Hmmm, it's been a few years, but as I recall, that magnet was supposed to able to divert balls from the right outer orbit into the Chestburster lane, to provide another way to feed the upper right flipper. There would've needed to be rules to decide when that diversion would and wouldn't happen... those rules were never decided, let alone implemented. Of course, if a newer version of the game adds that magnet back in, it's a different story.

#955 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

LMAO. It's like people have learned nothing. It is way too easy to post BS of 'hey look what we're doing!'. It doesn't matter how many social media posts people make to hype it with their veiled teasers, until machines are coming off the line, nothing is coming. Now to see how many people throw money at 'pre-orders' after the 'never again' moments. I can't see why anyone would fund this up front and without that, I don't see how they are going to make any. Chicken/Egg scenario...and has been shown already, just because they are coming off the line doesn't mean they will continue to come off the line...
I know many of us would absolutely love this to be true, but let's keep our wits about us.

Bruh. I have been at the forefront of laughing at people about dumb shit like Deeproot (still no machine you can buy) a few prototypes that have been prototypes forever. Let’s see it when it ships.

However, even though Heighway was a hot mess, Alien DID HAPPEN and some guys (PB) bought all the assets. It’s not a crazy stretch to say they just put it back in a normal cabinet so now AP, Spooky, even Stern could contract build it.
At this point it’s just a remake, which is far easier than building a game from scratch!

If Gene could do it with some homeless bums and mostly clueless laborers, then obviously an experienced pinball company can crank out a game remake as we’ve seen.

Deeproot: 8 years and allegedly 1 machine.
Heighway: 3 years and 3 machines

#956 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Heighway: 3 years and 3 machines

What's this third machine? ... I thought there was just Full Throttle and Alien?

#957 1 year ago

Technically, Heighway also made the Cuba Libre machine for Bacardi. Not much like normal pins.

#958 1 year ago

Can somebody tell what the alarm siren in the bb beacons was intend to use for?
I have dismantled the beacons and found a small black siren in the beacons but the wires were cut off.
Obviously one more wire is missing to switch the siren on or off separately.
Should the alarm bell even when the lights are active or was there an idea so use the alarm on or off in a special game situation or was the siren just part of this beacon version without any purpose to use that?

#959 1 year ago
Quoted from Averell:

Can somebody tell what the alarm sirene in the bb beacons was intend to use for?
I have dismantled the beacons and found a small black sirene in the beacons but the wires were cut off.
Obviously one more wire is missing to switch the sirene on or off seperately.
Should the alarm bell even when the lights are active or was there an idea so use the alarm on or off in a special game situation or was the sirene just part of this beacon version without any purpose to use that?

Probably part of the repurposed industry equipment... disabled or delete for the pinball application.

Although, there is a "topper 2" output, isn't there?

What does that do? .... when active? or never?

#960 1 year ago

Exactly, there's the topper 2 output - what does it do?
If there's a function I want to have this activated.
I will ask Brian...

#961 1 year ago
Quoted from Averell:

Exactly, there's the topper 2 output - what does it do?
If there's a function I want to have this activated.
I will ask Brian...

Honestly I had no idea that the beacons had an alarm feature. This was never mentioned to us programmers.

The second topper output was just part of the standard cabinet definition. There was never a need for it on Alien or Full Throttle, but the thinking was that a future game, or an add-on, might use it. We wanted to err on the side of having too many drivers than not enough, especially since the cabinets were intended to be reusable for the playfield kits.

#963 1 year ago

Thanks for information Brian.

It would be nice to have the topper 2 function as a switchable feature.
Maybe there's a chance to activate an impuls somewhere at a PCB to grab the signal for a custom made function?
For instance, there's connector XY that provides a voltage XY with XY amps to switch something with?

#964 1 year ago

As one who was duped by Heighway Pinball, both for a “preorder” and again when I thought I should request an refund (prior to the Ponziesque collapse), I have a few thoughts.

I hope the game is made. It is a great theme.

However, I would never, ever, ever buy one in a million years, until there is verifiable proof that games are already manufactured and ready to ship.

Those who will not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.

Caveat emptor.

#965 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

until machines are coming off the line, nothing is coming.

Yep. Also if they try to get deposits down prior to machines being built and ready to ship, it will die on the vine real fast. I want one 100% but not until I can get through my local distributor and see it in the wild.

#966 1 year ago

Even if this new company has the rights to the Alien pinball design, what are the chances they still have the license? Aren't those usually limited in time?

What if you all get the same game with every trademarked element removed?

#967 1 year ago

it would be nice if they paid the deposits owed to people before they dissolved their assets. I don't think they should receive ANY new money until those deposits are honored. even if games are built and ready to ship.

#968 1 year ago

I have zero inside knowledge about this. Someone told me the Pinball Brothers were looking for me a couple years ago, but they didn't try very hard since they have my email and I wasn't inclined to spend any effort on my part. Who knows what they wanted. Probably my Photoshop files.

I hope they're using new art for the game, since I was never actually paid for mine. My contract was null and void years ago, they don't have the rights to anything I did. I got a game out of it at least, which was a really nice gesture on behalf of the people in Wales, and I appreciate it.

With the way the company collapsed, the number of games actually made, and the fact that my contract was all royalty based I only lost out on a few thousand dollars in the end, so I just mentally wrote it off. But still, unless someone wants to cut me a check they can pay someone else to do new art. Frankly that might be better anyways, maybe the new artist can work with an actual physical game, and without Andrew's constant nonsense and lies about what the license allows. If someone's doing it I wish them the best.

Whatever happens I think everyone is smart enough to not get too excited about some schematics. Don't give anyone a dime for anything until you see rows of finished games and someone you trust is allowed to open the hood and flip them. It's easy to blame Andrew for a lot of things, but keep in mind that the Pinball Brothers were around for all of Alien, they'd show up, make a bunch of promises to the team about things going better, and then vanish again. I'm not saying they're bad people, just that I've seen this movie before and how it ends. Don't let a trailer get your hopes up is all.

#969 1 year ago

yes. I should of added Aurich, Dave and anyone else who was involved and not compensated for their efforts should also get $$ first. even if it's a few thousand dollars! again, I doubt that is how it works. I'd still want the original over this remake anyways!

#970 1 year ago

Sounds like yet another boutique manufacturer of high character that us doing everything the right way.

I’m sure this will work out well for everybody so go ahead and launch your premature “I told you so”s my way.

These things always tend to age well in an Alien thread!

#971 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

yes. I should of added Aurich, Dave and anyone else who was involved and not compensated for their efforts should also get $$ first. even if it's a few thousand dollars!

I'm trying to get an RTX 3080 and an AMD 5600x right now, I'll take any payment towards my PC build. Market is rough out there!

If they're deleting the playfield screen I actually finished all the art where that hole is when I did it, the rest of the planets are all there. I honestly was never a fan of that thing. Seemed like a big waste of BOM if you're going to end up sticking screens in the backbox anyways. Just one more reason the 'modular pinball' idea was doomed to failure. Every mistake you made in the beginning stuck to you for every game after it.

#972 1 year ago
Quoted from roffels:

Even if this new company has the rights to the Alien pinball design, what are the chances they still have the license? Aren't those usually limited in time?
What if you all get the same game with every trademarked element removed?

Licenses are normally for a specific time however they can request/pay for license extensions, which is quite common.

#973 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm trying to get an RTX 3080 and an AMD 5600x right now, I'll take any payment towards my PC build. Market is rough out there!
If they're deleting the playfield screen I actually finished all the art where that hole is when I did it, the rest of the planets are all there. I honestly was never a fan of that thing. Seemed like a big waste of BOM if you're going to end up sticking screens in the backbox anyways. Just one more reason the 'modular pinball' idea was doomed to failure. Every mistake you made in the beginning stuck to you for every game after it.

I can see how that’s annoying as you designed the art there, but in practice, the LCD is great. I went in skeptical with it, and now wish it was integrated into more games. Provides more immersion into the game, never need to look up, in addition to more lighting to the surrounding area.

#974 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I can see how that’s annoying as you designed the art there, but in practice, the LCD is great. I went in skeptical with it, and now wish it was integrated into more games. Provides more immersion into the game, never need to look up, in addition to more lighting to the surrounding area.

The actual design of the game always had the PF LCD Screen. Large BB monitor was an add option, later adopted to the norm. Think there are a few of the full backbox translites in the thread somewhere.... (think that would have stung more)

#975 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Yeah, as MK6PIN is pointing out there was originally no backbox LCD, just the playfield. And okay, it's different, but cool.

Thing is, as soon as you start mirroring it to the backbox it starts to feel like a waste of build resources. And then you have the dumb decision to make the playfield and backbox LCDs different resolutions and aspect ratios and it just becomes really stupid. Now it's impossible to design for it in a way that looks good on both. It's just mirrored, there's no way to do any slick stuff where you send one image to the playfield and a different one to the backbox.

You're paying for two screens and optimizing for none and it's pointless to me at that point. You could use that budget for all kinds of better things, like flashers for instance.

Not putting art there is fine. I only designed the whole thing without the screen because it just made more sense. Then if I needed to shift things or anything changed I had a complete vision.

Also, at one point I toyed with the idea of trying to make the playfield art match up with the LCD so you could have it continuous in the background of the screen. I think Captain Nemo did something like that? Never happened because without physical access to a machine I couldn't do the work to line things up properly, so I abandoned the whole idea.

#976 1 year ago

Without Aurich and the rest of the US team staying the course not even having a game, Alien never makes it in any form, period. Their passion was unmatched.

I'm grateful for their efforts and re-affirms the fact that lacking a US manufacturer, this whole topic is sort of dead.

No sense reliving the past....

#977 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, as MK6PIN is pointing out there was originally no backbox LCD, just the playfield. And okay, it's different, but cool.
Thing is, as soon as you start mirroring it to the backbox it starts to feel like a waste of build resources. And then you have the dumb decision to make the playfield and backbox LCDs different resolutions and aspect ratios and it just becomes really stupid. Now it's impossible to design for it in a way that looks good on both. It's just mirrored, there's no way to do any slick stuff where you send one image to the playfield and a different one to the backbox.
You're paying for two screens and optimizing for none and it's pointless to me at that point. You could use that budget for all kinds of better things, like flashers for instance.
Not putting art there is fine. I only designed the whole thing without the screen because it just made more sense. Then if I needed to shift things or anything changed I had a complete vision.
Also, at one point I toyed with the idea of trying to make the playfield art match up with the LCD so you could have it continuous in the background of the screen. I think Captain Nemo did something like that? Never happened because without physical access to a machine I couldn't do the work to line things up properly, so I abandoned the whole idea.

Great idea to match the playfield art with the LCD or be able to transfer between screens! Seems like the remake should keep your art on the backglass and just have the LCD in the playfield.

#978 1 year ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

yes. I should of added Aurich, Dave and anyone else who was involved and not compensated for their efforts should also get $$ first. even if it's a few thousand dollars! again, I doubt that is how it works. I'd still want the original over this remake anyways!

I have a plan in place - I'm covered if this actually happens. Without it, they wouldn't have the rights to use my design work either. But as Aurich says, it's important to keep that 'if' in mind, and everything so far has been on a 'need to know' basis.

#979 1 year ago
89ED34C5-9D2E-420B-B12A-3F11B89177E2.jpeg
#980 1 year ago

Jeez, is this real?

#981 1 year ago

That's pretty cool - although there doesn't seem to be much room for the top of the vuk and still let the ball come in from the side

#982 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Jeez, is this real?

Define real.

#983 1 year ago

I paid Andrew years ago for an Alien. Wish I had more mine to play. Same with Dutch Pinball, although they tell me I'll eventually get the Big Lebowski

#984 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Jeez, is this real?

So far its just seems to be pictures from the Heighway game and schematics so in other words, No. Until we see a line up of built games and for me anyway one I can play at my local distributor its in the same realm as other start ups, fantasy land. I mean u mine as well show a bad drawing of an Alien on a Denny's napkin.

#985 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm grateful for their efforts and re-affirms the fact that lacking a US manufacturer, this whole topic is sort of dead.

The Pinball Brothers aren't situated in the States?

#986 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Correct

#987 1 year ago

Is it ur company? where r they located? I can't find it online.

#988 1 year ago

According to their site:

https://www.facebook.com/pinballbrothers
https://www.pinballbrothers.com/

Our Offices
Pinball Brothers AB
Skjutbanevägen 11 D
703 69 Örebro

Quoted from Hazoff:

Is it ur company? where r they located? I can't find it online.

#989 1 year ago

We’ve glossed over a recent development without batting an eye. This schematic is a widebody, however every rumor until now has AlienR as a standard width. A standard width sample game was allegedly built and being shopped around for production. So was that part of the rumor patently false and wrongly passed on from story to story? Or is it probably true and this might represent a new approach to designing the game?

In my book - the widebody design, lit cabinet panels, Xeno and in-playfield lcd are all features I would not want removed. Doing so, PB might as well redesign the pin 100% from the ground up. If PB want to make Alien, make it look exactly like the original (or with a few enhancements), keep software unchanged, maybe add new art. Do not allow the remake to be something fubar.

#990 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Negative....

#991 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

We’ve glossed over a recent development without batting an eye. This schematic is a widebody, however every rumor until now has AlienR as a standard width. A narrow body sample game was allegedly built and being shopped around for production. So was that part of the rumor patently false and wrongly passed on from story to story? Or is it probably true and this might represent a new approach to designing the game?
In my book - the widebody design, lit cabinet panels, Xeno and in-playfield lcd are all features I would not want removed. Doing so, PB might as well redesign the pin 100% from the ground up. If they want to remake Alien, make it look exactly like the original or with a few enhancements, not something fubar.

Depends on your source. I've been told for over a year it is widebody, no LCD screen. In the future, see through OLED screens could be incredible modifications to this and other games on the playfield, if they are thin enough.

#992 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I have zero inside knowledge about this. Someone told me the Pinball Brothers were looking for me a couple years ago, but they didn't try very hard since they have my email and I wasn't inclined to spend any effort on my part.

In an amusing turn of events guess who emailed me today?

I told Roger basically what I posted here. See where it goes. Honestly at this point I'm out of vitriol, I'd just like to be paid if anyone is going to use my work again. If they tell me anything in confidence I certainly won't post about it here, but until that time happens nobody has made any efforts to include me or take care of me, so I consider it all free game to shoot the shit over.

Clearly writing about them in public reminded them that I have an email address.

Anyways, on the speculation again!

Again, I know nothing, but making the game not a wide body makes no sense to me. It's too radical of a change. Unless the plan is to just scrap so much of the code and layout that it doesn't matter. But why do all that work? There's a mostly finished game there already.

Deleting the playfield LCD won't change the game at all. Adding back in a magnet that was supposed to be there is a fairly minor change. People do it with Twilight Zone heh. But you can't just squeeze a game into a smaller package.

#993 1 year ago

I hope the modification includes flasher capability. I thought that it was a missed opportunity not to black out the game and strobe the xenomorph during the ball-grab sequence.

#994 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

So far its just seems to be pictures from the Heighway game and schematics so in other words, No.

These drawings have shown a few new features that were not in the Heighway game. Of course that doesn’t mean this is really coming out, but I hope it means there is a chance.

#995 1 year ago
ECF77BCA-0B56-4B33-A3EF-5D802CB60ED3 (resized).jpeg
#996 1 year ago

Why does Pinball Brothers not have a normal website? Or do they have it.

#997 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

In an amusing turn of events guess who emailed me today?
I told Roger basically what I posted here. See where it goes. Honestly at this point I'm out of vitriol, I'd just like to be paid if anyone is going to use my work again. If they tell me anything in confidence I certainly won't post about it here, but until that time happens nobody has made any efforts to include me or take care of me, so I consider it all free game to shoot the shit over.
Clearly writing about them in public reminded them that I have an email address.
Anyways, on the speculation again!
Again, I know nothing, but making the game not a wide body makes no sense to me. It's too radical of a change. Unless the plan is to just scrap so much of the code and layout that it doesn't matter. But why do all that work? There's a mostly finished game there already.
Deleting the playfield LCD won't change the game at all. Adding back in a magnet that was supposed to be there is a fairly minor change. People do it with Twilight Zone heh. But you can't just squeeze a game into a smaller package.

If they want to use your art and come to you this late, you are in a good position to make demands.

#998 1 year ago

were the pinball brothers successful in getting sigourney weaver on board this time, or did she blow them off, yet again?
weaver02.gif

#999 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

were the pinball brothers successful in getting sigourney weaver on board this time, or did she blow them off, yet again?
[quoted image]

It sounded more like it was simply beyond thier budget... I recall a comment along the lines of "Ripley Was available" but that they chose not to include. Probably more money than it would have been worth, and the game doesn't seem to need those assets anyway.

It seems they blew her off, too pricey, not the other way around.

#1000 1 year ago

Pretty much what razorsedge said. The team had some honest discussions about it at the time, and the reality is that Ripley only has a few killer speech lines, and maybe you can think of a few video clips of her that you'd want to use. Comes a point where you just ask "how much are we willing to pay per line of speech / second of video?" and "will not having those assets ruin the game?" ... when the answers are "not THAT much" and "no", you move on. Call me biased, but I don't think the game suffers from those omissions.

There are 4,060 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 82.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside