20210620_104344 (resized).jpg
20210620_101106 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210619-123810_Chrome (resized).jpg
20210619_113041 (resized).jpg
20210618_183039 (resized).jpg
20210618_171449 (resized).jpg
CDF9C8FD-E9E3-4624-8F8E-BA76DD881231.jpeg
alien pinball (resized).jpg
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 82.
#751 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Alien in its present form is not going to be produced by anyone, sadly.

Yeah, standard cab apparently. I didn't mind the quirky cab myself. No hinges on backbox a bit inconvenient though.

Either way it is all speculation. Nobody really knows. Not anyone that can say anything concrete anyway. Everything I've heard about suggests it will be continued at some point. No, it won't be identical or unchanged.

Only thing suggesting it won't ever happen is that Kanada says it will Lol

#752 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Yeah, standard cab apparently. I didn't mind the quirky cab myself. No hinges on backbox a bit inconvenient though.
Either way it is all speculation. Nobody really knows. Not anyone that can say anything concrete anyway. Everything I've heard about suggests it will be continued at some point. No, it won't be identical or unchanged.
Only thing suggesting it won't ever happen is that Kanada says it will Lol

Obviously if CGC remakes this title it will have differences, just like each of their remakes in the past. I’m sure that they wouldn’t attempt to re-create the unique Heighway cabinet - makes no sense. It would be a previously used tried-and-true cabinet. My guess would be a B/W like all of their other remakes.
And if CGC did remake it they would add their own personal enhancements, just like they always have.
Time will tell! I’m thinking (hoping) that it will be before the end of this year. But who knows?

#753 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Obviously if CGC remakes this title it will have differences, just like each of their remakes in the past. I’m sure that they wouldn’t attempt to re-create the unique Heighway cabinet - makes no sense. It would be a previously used tried-and-true cabinet. My guess would be a B/W like all of their other remakes.
And if CGC did remake it they would add their own personal enhancements, just like they always have.
Time will tell! I’m thinking (hoping) that it will be before the end of this year. But who knows?

We are ready to change the title now! Lol

If anyone does make Aliens, it won't be CGC. For one thing CGC would not want to use the developed hardware and code, and to not use it would certainly be quite uneconomical (porting/re-engineering).

Quoted from LTG:

CGC won't do Alien.
No idea if anyone else is. But definitely not CGC.
LTG : )

#754 4 years ago

Just like all other threads, many people read the title and make a comment without reading through the content of the thread. I even seen people post in repair threads a potential solution even after the solution was posted.

#755 4 years ago

Changing the cab size changes everything. Shot geometry, timing of A/V integration, tempo and overall feel. It wont be the same Alien, maybe Aliens 2.0 or some ish..

I would be down for an Alien 2.0 which could be bad ass in its own right, and obtainable...

#756 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Changing the cab size changes everything. Shot geometry, timing of A/V integration, tempo and overall feel. It wont be the same Alien, maybe Aliens 2.0 or some ish..
I would be down for an Alien 2.0 which could be bad ass in its own right, and obtainable...

Who said anything about changing any internal dimensions? ... from the measurments we took the whole lot fits straight into a WPC widebody cab. Identical game with standard looking cab. Not hard at all... changing cab appearance won't change the game inside Lol

#757 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Who said anything about changing any internal dimensions? ... from the measurments we took the whole lot fits straight into a WPC widebody cab. Identical game with standard looking cab. Not hard at all... changing cab appearance won't change the game inside Lol

Sorry but who are you again? Not trying to be rude just curious.

As for the have feeling different, they're is no question it will in a Williams cab. The current cab feels much different then the wb Williams Bally that I've owned and has its own feel. It also has that unique side art lit and a monitor in the backbox along with a built in screen within the pf.... All three but especially the last two are critical to making the game what it is. Not sure if that will be included here. Regardless I agree that alien Williams would be cool too.

#758 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sorry but who are you again? Not trying to be rude just curious.
As for the have feeling different, they're is no question it will in a Williams cab. The current cab feels much different then the wb Williams Bally that I've owned and has its own feel. It also has that unique side art lit and a monitor in the backbox along with a built in screen within the pf.... All three but especially the last two are critical to making the game what it is. Not sure if that will be included here. Regardless I agree that alien Williams would be cool too.

Tech for local Aliens.

The cab might feel different, but given the same playfield, and pitch, the game/layout would still be the same. The way a game shoots is a different thing than the feel of a cabinet, I think. Also if it were in a more mainstream cabinet style, then owners of originals could retain a bit of the limited feel with the unique cabinet. Versus if the machine were made to original specs wholesale, cab included. The cab design was partly about "swapability" which would probably not go anywhere in the future, unless Pinball Brothers decided to produce games and carry on with the "swapping" feature, which surely won't happen. There is Alot to the Heighway cabs that is completely superfluous if the playfield is never going to be swapped, standard cab would cut the cost quite a bit.

Another thing about those cabs, they seem very well built... and friggin Heavy! Lol

With a "new breed" being the same game in a regular cabinet... Everyone could have cake!

#759 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Tech for local Aliens.
The cab might feel different, but given the same playfield, and pitch, the game/layout would still be the same. The way a game shoots is a different thing than the feel of a cabinet, I think. Also if it were in a more mainstream cabinet style, then owners of originals could retain a bit of the limited feel with the unique cabinet. Versus if the machine were made to original specs wholesale, cab included. The cab design was partly about "swapability" which would probably not go anywhere in the future, unless Pinball Brothers decided to produce games and carry on with the "swapping" feature, which surely won't happen.
With a "new breed" being the same game in a regular cabinet... Everyone could have cake!

I completely agree. Alien 2.0, if it comes out will be Alien but not the same experience so you almost have two Alien pinball machines. Plus more folks get to enjoy what is an amazing (best of show for me) game out there.

#760 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I completely agree. Alien 2.0, if it comes out will be Alien but not the same experience so you almost have two Alien pinball machines. Plus more folks get to enjoy what is an amazing (best of show for me) game out there.

If they have the same playfield, pitch, and code then they definitely aught to be called the same game, since they in fact are. High scores etc. ... same playing field and rules. Can't be called a different game based solely on that it Looks different, the lockdown bar feels different, and the cab is heavier. Lol

#761 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

If they have the same playfield, pitch, and code then they definitely aught to be called the same game, since they in fact are. High scores etc. ... same playing field and rules. Can't be called a different game based solely on that it Looks different, the lockdown bar feels different, and the cab is heavier. Lol

Not sure who's suggesting they be called something different. It should be called the same game but it will feel and likely play differently for the reasons I mentioned already.

#762 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Not sure who's suggesting they be called something different. It should be called the same game but it will feel and likely play differently for the reasons I mentioned already.

You mean play the same?

Or are you talking about redesigning the plaufield and rules? ... you've lost me

What a cabinet feels like has no relationship to how the exact same playfield and rules, shoots. How the cab feels is perception. Game layout is physics. If it is the same it is the same, regardles what kind of cabinet encloses it. You're talking psycological. I mean physical. Scores on each game are still exactly comparable, even if you are put off because "this lockbar feels different". The same game is the same game it is that simple Ha ha

No different than playing current alien with the magazine removed. Feels diffetent.... but, IS the Same!

#763 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

You mean play the same?
Or are you talking about redesigning the plaufield and rules? ... you've lost me
What a cabinet feels like has no relationship to how the exact same playfield and rules, shoots. How the cab feels is perception. Game layout is physics. If it is the same it is the same, regardles what kind of cabinet encloses it. You're talking psycological. I mean physical. Scores on each game are still exactly comparable, even if you are put off because "this lockbar feels different". The same game is the same game it is that simple Ha ha
No different than playing current alien with the magazine removed. Feels diffetent.... but, IS the Same!

Per your words, this is what I mean:

"Feels different.... but, IS the Same!"

If they don't include the screen in the pf, one could argue you would play it a little differently b/c I'm usually looking at that screen too while playing vs having to look up (let alone it wouldn't be nearly as nice without it).

#764 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Per your words, this is what I mean:
"Feels different.... but, IS the Same!"
If they don't include the screen in the pf, one could argue you would play it a little differently b/c I'm usually looking at that screen too while playing vs having to look up (let alone it wouldn't be nearly as nice without it).

Dude, if it is the same game, it has a screen in the playfield and the game is The Same (who in their right mind is suggesting removing one one of the most important and integral features of the game, the p/f screen ). Different cab with the same playfield inside is the same game no matter how it "feels" to your hands. Scores compete, and they are both called "Alien"

Just like Centaur and Centaur 2. Same game buddy, however the different cab might make you feel (emotionally) lol. Same scores with the game being the same. Cabinet means Nothing for physical gameplay/rules or competition. If it is Alien it is Alien, no matter what cabinet you decide shove it in.

If the Physical Game, and the code, is different (besides the enclosure), fine, that is the only way it is a Different Game... Then give it a new title (not Alien 2).

You can't exclude owners of the originals from the "new Alien" high scores list just because the lockdown feels different to you. There would be more made of a re-run, surely, and with the same game inside it makes no sense at all to have separate game high score lists. They compare just the same given the same code. Other than that, if the game Internally is NEW, then and only then is it a "different game" (and therefore not relevant to this thread at all).

What cabinet style a given game or playfield is in has nothing whatsoever to do with how it shoots or what the rules are or the layout, that's a fact.

#765 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

it will feel and likely play differently for the reasons I mentioned already.

How do you "play" a lit side art?

#766 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Noone said anything about tearing that screen out of the PF.
That has nothing to do with changing the cab.

#767 4 years ago

This is hilarious, people arguing over the quality of game play and features of a remake that doesn't exist.

Continue please, I need the laugh.

QSS

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Dude, if it is the same game, it has a screen in the playfield and the game is The Same (who in their right mind is suggesting removing one one of the most important and integral features of the game, the p/f screen ). Different cab with the same playfield inside is the same game no matter how it "feels" to your hands. Scores compete, and they are both called "Alien"
Just like Centaur and Centaur 2. Same game buddy, however the different cab might make you feel (emotionally) lol. Same scores with the game being the same. Cabinet means Nothing for physical gameplay/rules or competition. If it is Alien it is Alien, no matter what cabinet you decide shove it in.
If the Physical Game, and the code, is different (besides the enclosure), fine, that is the only way it is a Different Game... Then give it a new title (not Alien 2).
You can't exclude owners of the originals from the "new Alien" high scores list just because the lockdown feels different to you. There would be more made of a re-run, surely, and with the same game inside it makes no sense at all to have separate game high score lists. They compare just the same given the same code. Other than that, if the game Internally is NEW, then and only then is it a "different game" (and therefore not relevant to this thread at all).
What cabinet style a given game or playfield is in has nothing whatsoever to do with how it shoots or what the rules are or the layout, that's a fact.

"Dude".... I'm not sure who you're arguing with on this. Just saw your reply and the guy from Germany too - not sure who you guys are talking to bc this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. Continue arguing with yourselves bc it's funny for me to! Thanks guys

Alien and potentially new alien via Williams should play the same.

#769 4 years ago

New Alien and/or Prometheus? Count me in

#770 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

"Dude".... I'm not sure who you're arguing with on this. Just saw your reply and the guy from Germany too - not sure who you guys are talking to bc this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time. Continue arguing with yourselves bc it's funny for me to! Thanks guys
Alien and potentially new alien via Williams should play the same.

Of course we can end it.
You're wrong!
Done.

#771 4 years ago

One thing that I think people are not thinking of is the induction switches vs microswitches. This is a considerable difference in how the game plays to me. Also the cabinet does give the game a different feel to me of how the game plays. The location of the actual flipper buttons is slightly different which does cause a different overall feel. Couple that with the difference in how the lock down bar is implemented and you most certainly have a difference in the feel of the game even if the geometry is exact.

#772 4 years ago

Now I am not stating that is good or bad but simply a difference in feel. I may actually like alien better in a Williams style cabinet.

#773 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Of course we can end it.
You're wrong!
Done.

Germany - guess what?

You're wrong. Read the posts above me. I can translate it to you in German if you want. Now it doesn't mean the two games should be considered unique but it will feel different.

Now we're good.

Done.

#774 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

about 10 years worth of them, EASILY.
TOM
CV
TAF
TZ
IJ
CC
Would all sell plenty without the hassles of trying to turn Alien into a functioning, reliable machine they can sell to people.

I'd buy TZ for sure and give serious thoughts about a TOTAN, CP.

#775 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

One thing that I think people are not thinking of is the induction switches vs microswitches. This is a considerable difference in how the game plays to me. Also the cabinet does give the game a different feel to me of how the game plays. The location of the actual flipper buttons is slightly different which does cause a different overall feel. Couple that with the difference in how the lock down bar is implemented and you most certainly have a difference in the feel of the game even if the geometry is exact.

I totally get that. I agree. The switches, the screen, the Lot remain though to fit the thread "Alien ... manufactured again". The same game would barely be viable without retaining the entire system that was developed. If the System is changed, it will almost certainly be a New and Different Game, of course. I think Prometheus would struggle to live up to the Alien vibe myself, and sell poorly in comparison to if Alien was re run as the proven tested game. But that is a different thread topic right there.

Someone is trying to say, however, that even with all hardware, playfield, layout, code... inductive switches, and the whole shooting match, being kept exactly as is, proven, that the different cab alone (to him) means it will be a different game. As if scores can't compare. Misguided to say the least. Maybe even just a little bit hillarious!

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I totally get that. I agree. The switches, the screen, the Lot remain though to fit the thread "Alien ... manufactured again". The same game would barely be viable without retaining the entire system that was developed. If the System is changed, it will almost certainly be a New and Different Game, of course. I think Prometheus would struggle to live up to the Alien vibe myself, and sell poorly in comparison to if Alien was re run as the proven tested game. But that is a different thread topic right there.
Someone is trying to say, however, that even with all hardware, playfield, layout, code... inductive switches, and the whole shooting match, being kept exactly as is, proven, that the different cab alone (to him) means it will be a different game. As if scores can't compare. Misguided to say the least. Maybe even just a little bit hillarious!

I was lucky enough to try it, and if we only speak of gameplay and aesthetics, it is a very nice game. With more modes (Alien 3, etc) it would be a killer game. (If mechanically reliable)

#777 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I think you're referring to me in your rant. I didn't say that at all but I'm not surprised that you continue to misunderstand me.

It's not just the cab. It's all the other things mentioned by Chris above as well.

Please reread that last sentence....very slowly so you're brain can catch up and you'll be set.

#778 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Germany - guess what?
You're wrong.

Ok, I take that back:
You're wrong AND you're racist!

(Wich is kind of funny, since you're posting in a dutch forum.)

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Ok, I take that back:
You're wrong AND you're racist!
(Wich is kind of funny, since you're posting in a dutch forum.)

Cool down a bit... what did you mean by you’re wrong anyway. Delt is a big Alien fan and I think he was saying there will be always something special with the original game. That’s it.
The debate on the cabinet is pure speculation and this thread started on info no longer valid.

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

This is hilarious, people arguing over the quality of game play and features of a remake that doesn't exist.
Continue please, I need the laugh.
QSS

It is pretty funny I rekon! ... since the tread title describes remaking the same game, Alien.

There's no argument to make. A different cab does not make a different game, period. Maybe a good idea to start another thread for the people whom want to discuss a newly developed game

Ranting, that's the pot calling the kettle black! Lmao

Back to the actual topic at hand, hopefully...

#781 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Cool down a bit... what did you mean by you’re wrong anyway. Delt is a big Alien fan and I think he was saying there will be always something special with the original game. That’s it.
The debate on the cabinet is pure speculation and this thread started on info no longer valid.

There arguably won't be anything unique about the Original Game Combination if any rerun were supplied in the identical Original cabinet, it would just be continued production. I think it would be good to simplify the cab for the continued run of the Identical Game, allowing owners of originals to retain the unique attributes of the limited original run.

Still the exact same game though, simply altering the external look of the cab, which is not changing the actual game(play). Scores between new and old runs would compare directly as the same game. Like most Vault Editions, same exact game with a renewed look externally/visually.

Sorry if that confuses people...

Also, the rumours are still around

I would be down to have a WPC style cab version as well! ... but only of the exact same proven game and system. Heads Up!

#782 4 years ago

@nadine Wow you're even worse off then I thought but it looks like the site took care of you. I know you like to troll my posts but that was ridiculous. What's truly funny is that I'm German too. How you would even insinuate that out of the response I provided is unbelievable and embarrassing for you.

Back to being on topic I continue to be fascinated about how there could be a remake and look forward to it. The more people who can play this wonderful game the better

#783 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Once again, it’s happening.
As to who builds them for USA, that’s not settled yet as far as I know
All you naysayers and doubters, take advantage of me.
I’ll wager $500 or whatever you want and take all comers!

You've gone a bit quiet pal, any further news? Still taking bets?

#784 4 years ago

I love that this thread is still inspiring anger, hope, depression, and delusion, just as it has since the beginning.

I've been pretty consistent that this is not going to happen, and as far as I know I'm the first and only to actually collect booze money on a bet.

So I'm gonna exercise my victor's privilege to bloviate:

Here's how it is with this dumb game. We all know what a disaster it was from start to finish, we all know there's like 10 versions of this game because it was never properly tested, finalized, or built...

We also know there's plenty of insane people here who would buy (likely preorder) whatever anybody came up with that said "Alien" on it at this point. And that's what scares me.

As long as people are desperate to believe this could happen, and desperate to fork over $10K for it, there is certainly a possibility it will actually happen.

But It's not going to be an "established" company that actually knows what they are doing and has a track record of success. Why would it? Why would Stern do it? Why would JJP do it? Why would the CG guys do it? THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN PRODUCT TO SELL. They all have a successful model for what works, to varying degrees, so why risk losing their balls redesigning this lemon from top to bottom so it's a) not a lemon, and b) fits with whatever production line, cabinet, tooling, and hardware/software/electronics they are currently using?

It just seems unlikely. So, if this thing ever DOES get remade, it's from someone who DOESN'T have anything to sell, yet wants in on that sweet sweet desperate deluded Alien fanatic cash. That means another clueless Dutch Pinball/Heighway type company stocked with dreamers, amateurs, and con men will be the ones entrusted to make this a reality without stealing everybody's money. Which so far DP/Heighway type companies have been unable to do.

So, long story short, even if it gets remade, it'll likely be another disaster.

Good luck folks!

#785 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

if this thing ever DOES get remade, it's from someone who DOESN'T have anything to sell, yet wants in on that sweet sweet desperate deluded Alien fanatic cash. That means another clueless Dutch Pinball/Heighway type company will be the ones entrusted to make this a reality without stealing everybody's money. Which so far DP/Heighway type companies have been unable to do.

I haven't listened to the podcast, but apparently Barry has just announced that DP's plan to move forward is for Barry to personally hand-make 500 additional Lebowskis and sell them at $12.5k to generate funds, at which point DP can turn to servicing its debt to the existing preorders. So it sounds like DP might be perfectly positioned to tackle a side-project remaking Alien ...

Added over 5 years ago:

EDIT: Having now listened to the full podcast, the summary I read was off in several respects. Barry's plan is evidently to start production with him and a few volunteers, but then ramp up with new hires, and to produce a total of 400-500 units (overall avg. of 8/week) by the end of 2020, at which point all preorders will have been fulfilled. Hard to believe they'll pull it off, but I wish them luck. FWIW, here are my listening notes on the podcase: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-big-lebowski-preorder-club/page/210#post-5185714

#786 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but apparently Barry has just announced that DP's plan to move forward is for Barry to personally hand-make 500 additional Lebowskis and sell them at $12.5k to generate funds, at which point DP can turn to servicing its debt to the existing preorders. So it sounds like DP might be perfectly positioned to tackle a side-project remaking Alien ...

It’s a karate kid thing !
Left hand build Alien
Right hand build TBL

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love that this thread is still inspiring anger, hope, depression, and delusion, just as it has since the beginning.
I've been pretty consistent that this is not going to happen, and as far as I know I'm the first and only to actually collect booze money on a bet.
So I'm gonna exercise my victor's privilege to bloviate:
Here's how it is with this dumb game. We all know what a disaster it was from start to finish, we all know there's like 10 versions of this game because it was never properly tested, finalized, or built...
We also know there's plenty of insane people here who would buy (likely preorder) whatever anybody came up with that said "Alien" on it at this point. And that's what scares me.
As long as people are desperate to believe this could happen, and desperate to fork over $10K for it, there is certainly a possibility it will actually happen.
But It's not going to be an "established" company that actually knows what they are doing and has a track record of success. Why would it? Why would Stern do it? Why would JJP do it? Why would the CG guys do it? THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN PRODUCT TO SELL. They all have a successful model for what works, to varying degrees, so why risk losing their balls redesigning this lemon from top to bottom so it's a) not a lemon, and b) fits with whatever production line, cabinet, tooling, and hardware/software/electronics they are currently using?
It just seems unlikely. So, if this thing ever DOES get remade, it's from someone who DOESN'T have anything to sell, yet wants in on that sweet sweet desperate deluded Alien fanatic cash. That means another clueless Dutch Pinball/Heighway type company stocked with dreamers, amateurs, and con men will be the ones entrusted to make this a reality without stealing everybody's money. Which so far DP/Heighway type companies have been unable to do.
So, long story short, even if it gets remade, it'll likely be another disaster.
Good luck folks!

I'm in for $100 that it'll be revealed before the end of the year by one of the big pinball companies. You game @CrazyLevi?
I'm saying the same game, with tweaks and a standard cabinet e.g. B/W.

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I'm in for $100 that it'll be revealed before the end of the year by one of the big pinball companies. You game CrazyLevi?
I'm saying the same game, with tweaks and a standard cabinet e.g. B/W)

I've done my bit for king and country and consider myself lucky I won the bet and actually received payment. For now I'll just bloviate from the sidelines.

Quoted from fosaisu:

I haven't listened to the podcast, but apparently Barry has just announced that DP's plan to move forward is for Barry to personally hand-make 500 additional Lebowskis and sell them at $12.5k to generate funds,

Holy shit! Love it.

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

building and selling 500 TBL's @ $12.5k - haha. DP should fix the game's design flaw's, update software and price the game at $10k.

... and then they will service TBL EA's - pure BS!

edit - why we discussing TBL in an Alien thread?

#790 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Who could resist $3k worth of fun for $12.5k?

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Who could resist $3k worth of fun for $12.5k?

Barry hopes noone!

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Exactly

#793 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:... and friggin Heavy! Lol

This in and of itself is enough to make the game not only feel different, but play different, as Delt is saying.

Difference is cabs is gonna fundamentally change the types of nudging that happen, the angles nudges happen, the physics of the ball as you interact with the game through physical movements.

Pinball isnt just shooting on a playfield in vacuum, the cabinet matters. If you ain't nudging you ain't trying.

#794 4 years ago

It ain’t an Alien if it’s not in a Heighway cabinet.

#795 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

This in and of itself is enough to make the game not only feel different, but play different, as Delt is saying.
Difference is cabs is gonna fundamentally change the types of nudging that happen, the angles nudges happen, the physics of the ball as you interact with the game through physical movements.
Pinball isnt just shooting on a playfield in vacuum, the cabinet matters. If you ain't nudging you ain't trying.

Bunkum. The difference is meaningless, build those triceps and nudge a little extra if you're playing an original. Big deal!

Definitely Nowhere Near enough to justify calling it "different gameplay". That is my opinion, and I think it is very likely disagreement would only be from a finicky few.

You would get SIGNIFICANTLY more difference in gameplay by; fitting different rubbers , changing the playfield pitch , or leaving the legs loose... on an original Alien. The argument about cab making it a "different game" (title) is Completely Re-Dic-U-Lous! Pmsl!

You make it sound like using a WPC style cab would make it 200kg lighter? Lol ... it will be Slightly lighter (might lose 10-20kg Tops!, big deal!), but not enough to make a difference Bigger than the factors mentioned above would make, if they were applied to the original Alien. If I change the rubbers and pitch angle on my Alien, I have to call it a Different Game??. Be realistic.

The "different cab, different game" argument is simply preposterous.

Two different copies of Heighway Alien would exhibit more differences in gameplay between them than a cab change ever would create.

1 week later
#796 4 years ago

I'm not sure how much a cab change would really impact game play but I finally got a chance to play the game at ClePin last weekend (loved the game, so sad it never made it to full production) and one of the guys (no idea who he is) that I played with immediately mentioned how different the flipper button placement is. I have really big hands and didn't really notice it much but if you have smaller hands maybe it would make a considerable difference in how it shoots. As for nudging, that would definitely change even in a regular WPC Widebody cab. I suspect it's the way the legs are recessed into the cab that makes Alien so hard to nudge but man is it ever stable!

2 weeks later
#797 4 years ago

A close reproduction in a standard cab would be fantastic. A whole new game based on Alien? still fantastic. I would prefer Stern making a proper Alien based pin just for the assurance I will get it one day.

1 week later
#798 4 years ago

It is curious that the topic keeps coming up in the TWIP "inside info".... ?

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm not sure how much a cab change would really impact game play but I finally got a chance to play the game at ClePin last weekend (loved the game, so sad it never made it to full production) and one of the guys (no idea who he is) that I played with immediately mentioned how different the flipper button placement is. I have really big hands and didn't really notice it much but if you have smaller hands maybe it would make a considerable difference in how it shoots. As for nudging, that would definitely change even in a regular WPC Widebody cab. I suspect it's the way the legs are recessed into the cab that makes Alien so hard to nudge but man is it ever stable!

Interestingly, as much as the "leg system" and cabinet Looks a little different, it is much the same construction as a regular cabinet corner. The legs are not actually "recessed into" the cabinet at all really, it just appears that way. It is in fact just an additional 10mm or so thick layer of MDF, added to the outside of a more regularly constructed cabinet. Cutouts for legs and coin door give the "recessed appearance".

I have never noticed the Alien to be any more or less stable than my Twilight Zone. Legs bolt on the same. Base cabinet is same material and thickness too.

#800 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Interestingly, as much as the "leg system" and cabinet Looks a little different, it is much the same construction as a regular cabinet corner. The legs are not actually "recessed into" the cabinet at all really, it just appears that way. It is in fact just an additional 10mm or so thick layer of board, added to the outside of a more regularly constructed cabinet. Cutouts for legs and coin door give the "recessed appearance".
I have never noticed the Alien to be any more or less stable than my Twilight Zone. Legs bolt on the same.

Do you own alien? Just curious b/c you seem very opinionated about how it plays vs other games.

I actually own the game and can confirm it plays and feels different than my other games and would def not feel the same if it was in a WB williams build.

Prob should own the game before being so definitive but well, that ship has sailed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,595.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Boynton Beach, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,090 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 82.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-cgc-going-to-manufacture-alien-pinball/page/16?hl=flippinjimmy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.