(Topic ID: 238792)

Is CGC going to manufacture Alien pinball?

By pcprogrammer

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 725 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by cudabee
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic poll

“Will Chicago Gaming manufacture Alien pinball?”

• Yes, I believe it will happen 101 votes
    33%
  • No way, not a chance 208 votes
    67%

(309 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

4F8666A4-9A61-458C-A190-742ECB9EA9A9.jpeg
80CE8D5D-7D68-41F6-B335-A9F7CB8F2484.jpeg
bet (resized).jpg
79C4C729-189D-47A3-A643-D79E54FB285E.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy (resized).png
raw.gif
 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 12.43.58 PM (resized).png
Screenshot_20190423-213054_Chrome (resized).jpg
57EB91E1-FB4A-4DB1-B392-B5533DD3CF6A (resized).jpeg
Raccoon.gif
IMG_0351 (resized).jpg
29C86F48-D04D-446F-BADA-3DFB392253B4 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
2xnmjh (resized).jpg

There are 725 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.
#701 5 days ago
Quoted from Vpv1rgin:

Did I miss something? I saw TBL was going to sell 40 more units but was Alien officially announced to be remade?

The Lebowski development is that the ~40 units that were manufactured several years ago and have been sitting in a Dutch warehouse while the lawyers fought it out are now being sold to new buyers through Cointaker. Dutch Pinball says they are still hopeful to produce more TBLs some day (presumably through their Chinese manufacturer), eventually fulfilling their obligation to the many customers that paid full or partial deposits directly to DP and never received a game, but there's no evidence to show if or when that will happen.

I don't think this has anything to do with the rumors that Alien may go back into production though.

#702 5 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Weren’t / aren’t alien specific parts showing up on Pinball Life? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
If so, would make sense.

Terry noted they were from pinball brothers and his supply was spotty with no garunteed future. They were probably just liquidating parts at that point.

I can't help but think the new 'interest' here is simply because Kaneda replayed his old podcast.. and people think it's new again?

#703 5 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I can't help but think the new 'interest' here is simply because Kaneda replayed his old podcast.. and people think it's new again?

Did he update his listeners on the ass-tattoo pledge?

#704 5 days ago
Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Hoping it’s sooner rather than later. Looks like iceman44’s predictions (statements about TBL and Alien) are happening - better late than never!

wtf, where do you get that? I count 0 for 2.

We were told more TBL’s and re-engineered Aliens would be made soon, and they haven’t been. Kaneda made a podcast about it. He posted it, took it down and then put it back up. So where are we now? No physical progress on either. If anyone has seen something show it, but until that happens both rumors are mirages. Selling hostage games was the recent outcome of a trial and they were built two years ago. Promises by Barry to build games have no credibility.

Kaneda has chosen to double down on his bullshit rumors episode by rebroadcasting it today - in it he pledges to quit podcasting and to get an ass tat if these don’t happen. To me that means he remaking the challenges. I say he has until October and if neither is shown, he owes us the consequences he’s promised twice.

#705 5 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Did he update his listeners on the ass-tattoo pledge?

You missed his break through announcement...

Broken Clocks are correct twice a day, so he's claiming he's right and doesn't need a tatoo now.

(ignoring the fact his claim TBL was going into production... which it isn't yet). But hey, 'he was right!!' lolz

#706 5 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You missed his break through announcement...
Broken Clocks are correct twice a day, so he's claiming he's right and doesn't need a tatoo now.
(ignoring the fact his claim TBL was going into production... which it isn't yet). But hey, 'he was right!!' lolz

It was all "a joke" when he was wrong. Dude has zero credibility on anything he promises. A master welcher.

#707 5 days ago

Alien in a proper cabinet would be awesome. Hope that happens someday.

#708 5 days ago

Man I freaking miss chi chis

#709 5 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

wtf, where do you get that? I count 0 for 2.
We were told more TBL’s and re-engineered Aliens would be made soon, and they haven’t. Kaneda made a podcast about it. He posted it, took it down and then put it back up. So where are we now? No physical progress of either. If anyone has seen something show it, but until that happens both rumors are mirages. Selling hostage games was the recent outcome of a trial and they were built two years ago. Promises by Barry to build games has no credibility.
Kaneda has chosen to double down on his bullshit rumors episode by rebroadcasting it today - in it he pledges to quit podcasting and to get an ass tat if these don’t happen. To me that means he remaking the challenges. I say he has until October and if neither is shown, he owes us the consequences he promised.

Kaneda is an official source of nothing. Should be in the conversation of zilch.
Just revisit his impulsive verbal pre-reveal Wonka diarrhea... among a bazillion other topics.

Unreliable entertainment. That’s all it is

#710 5 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Kaneda is an official source of nothing. Should be in the conversation of zilch.
Just revisit his impulsive verbal pre-reveal Wonka diarrhea... among a bazillion other topics.
Unreliable entertainment. That’s all it is

If you can consider listening to the ravings of a manic-depressive, bi-polar, borderline personality disordered person entertainment, then, yes.

#711 4 days ago

So is there a chance he'll have to shut down and go find a new hobby to annoy. I would never hold someone to a tattoo bet.

#712 4 days ago
Quoted from pipes:

Alien in a proper cabinet would be awesome. Hope that happens someday.

What is the problem with the current cabinet?

#713 4 days ago
Quoted from gold1:

What is the problem with the current cabinet?

The current cabinet is partly awesome and part pita.

The proprietary design allows the cabinet sides to glow with light and the artwork panels can be swapped. Some can’t get past that things are different and some complain the removable sides are too narrow.

However, this design falls flat in regards to how the playfield glass is held in place. Rather than sliding the glass into a channel like all other pins, the glass is attached to a large metal frame that must be positioned atop the side rails and then latched down. The problem is the entire weight of a widebody glass plus the frame is heavy and the assembly is awkwardly large.

Positioning and locking the glass down once is fine, but if you’ve removed the glass and gone through the process a hundred times, you’ve probably cursed a hundred times. Given a choice, I’d still pick the Heighway cabinet design, just to celebrate something different. If it was offered as an upgrade option I’d buy it.
4F8666A4-9A61-458C-A190-742ECB9EA9A9.jpeg80CE8D5D-7D68-41F6-B335-A9F7CB8F2484.jpeg

#714 4 days ago
Quoted from CNKay:

So is there a chance he'll have to shut down and go find a new hobby to annoy. I would never hold someone to a tattoo bet.

He supposedly bought a Challenger Hellcat. I outed him quick, never seen again.Good.

#715 3 days ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The current cabinet is partly awesome and part pita.
The proprietary design allows the cabinet sides to glow with light and the artwork panels can be swapped. Some can’t get past that things are different and some complain the removable sides are too narrow.
However, this design falls flat in regards to how the playfield glass is held in place. Rather than sliding the glass into a channel like all other pins, the glass is attached to a large metal frame that must be positioned atop the side rails and then latched down. The problem is the entire weight of a widebody glass plus the frame is heavy and the assembly is awkwardly large.
Positioning and locking the glass down once is fine, but if you’ve removed the glass and gone through the process a hundred times, you’ve probably cursed a hundred times. Given a choice, I’d still pick the Heighway cabinet design, just to celebrate something different. If it was offered as an upgrade option I’d buy it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The glass magazine actually works great in my case...While heavy, I can lift it straight off, as I don't have room to slide glass all the way out in traditional form.

Once you get used to it...pretty convenient, and no constant worry of smudging the glass.

Think art on the cab would be amazing, but glowing side panels are quite unique and killer if game is displayed properly.

#716 3 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The glass magazine actually works great in my case...While heavy, I can lift it straight off, as I don't have room to slide glass all the way out in traditional form.
Once you get used to it...pretty convenient, and no constant worry of smudging the glass.
Think art on the cab would be amazing, but glowing side panels are quite unique and killer if game is displayed properly.

Totally agree.Removing the glass with this machine keeps it intact as well.

#717 3 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

He supposedly bought a Challenger Hellcat. I outed him quick, never seen again.Good.

He did. I drove it....

#718 3 days ago
Quoted from spfxted:

He did. I drove it....

How many pins fit in one of those?

#719 3 days ago

Forget it....

#720 3 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

As most here likely know, Bally utilized integrated glass canopies in the late sixties and seventies. The most popular game featuring a canopy/magazine style glass is probably 1972 Fireball.

I have always preferred this style for a variety of reasons, including the ability to remove the glass in tight spaces. On the EM games with the glass canopy, you can easily prop up the glass to service the playfield or the mechanicals in the main cabinet. It's a very nice convenience.

In circumstances where the entire canopy must be removed, it simply lifts off. When it is set aside, the glass is less susceptible to damage by virtue of the metal enclosure. How many times have you removed a naked sheet of glass and eyeballed a dozen unsafe spots to set it down, before settling on what seems like an acceptable spot?

The only negative factor, in my view, is swapping the glass itself in the event of damage. I swapped a Bally EM canopy glass (which was scratched, original glass from 1968) earlier today and it can be time-consuming. Nevertheless, glass damage on new games is a relatively infrequent event.

The other negative factor with a widebody canopy could be its weight. Having never lifted an Alien canopy, I am uncertain whether it's especially heavy and whether the latch mechanism is user-friendly.

Ultimately, I would like to see more manufacturers consider canopy/magazine designs for the reasons above.

#721 2 days ago

I actually really like the glass "magazine" idea, I have a couple of the Bally's with it, and for reason's already mentioned, it can be quite convenient and safer.

The mistake they made with Alien is the width of the frame itself, too wide and just doesn't look right IMO, if there was a way to cut it down to the normal side rail width, I would do it, but because of the extra thickness of the cabinet, I don't think it's feasible.

#722 2 days ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

I actually really like the glass "magazine" idea, I have a couple of the Bally's with it, and for reason's already mentioned, it can be quite convenient and safer.
The mistake they made with Alien is the width of the frame itself, too wide and just doesn't look right IMO, if there was a way to cut it down to the normal side rail width, I would do it, but because of the extra thickness of the cabinet, I don't think it's feasible.

I pushed for the lift out bezel. The width was dictated by that stupid transparent screen that Andy was hot to use. No reason why it couldn't have been redesigned thinner but I had left the project by then.

#723 2 days ago
Quoted from epotech:

I pushed for the lift out bezel. The width was dictated by that stupid transparent screen that Andy was hot to use. No reason why it couldn't have been redesigned thinner but I had left the project by then.

I remember playing Full Throttle at Expo in 2014, while I liked the game quite a bit, I mentioned to the rep that I didn't like the the gray frame at all, he indicated that I wasn't the only one who had expressed that feeling, it's a shame that Heighway didn't listen to the feedback

#724 2 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The Lebowski development is that the ~40 units that were manufactured several years ago and have been sitting in a Dutch warehouse while the lawyers fought it out are now being sold to new buyers through Cointaker. Dutch Pinball says they are still hopeful to produce more TBLs some day (presumably through their Chinese manufacturer), eventually fulfilling their obligation to the many customers that paid full or partial deposits directly to DP and never received a game, but there's no evidence to show if or when that will happen.
I don't think this has anything to do with the rumors that Alien may go back into production though.

lets be really clear. Pinball machines that where the property of the EA's have been stolen and sold to new owners and the EA's sent down the river. All the money being raised is paying ARA what DP owe them already.

#725 1 day ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

lets be really clear. Pinball machines that where the property of the EA's have been stolen and sold to new owners and the EA's sent down the river. All the money being raised is paying ARA what DP owe them already.

Possibly, but it seems more likely to me that ARA gets paid for the hostage games but also for the complete inventory of parts that were presumably in stock for the remaining games that were never finished because ARA stopped assembling after 90 games. I hope that there are parts for producing the other prepaid 100 games, even if it was a diy kit or whatever or even better that ARA assembles these to forfill their original part of the deal and if they get paid, why not. We will see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
There are 725 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside