(Topic ID: 109326)

Is buynsellpinballmachines.com legit or a scammer heaven?

By LoserKid_Pinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by kbliznick
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So I was looking for other places to buy some pins when I found a site called http://www.buynsellpinballmachines.com/ The prices where almost too good to be true so I sent out some emails the seller and one guy responded. He went the whole 9 yards with pictures and everything. As soon as I ask for an address to go see the machine, no response. Has any had a good experience with this site?

#2 9 years ago

All the photos appear to be lifted from elsewhere. Many from Treasure Cove. For example, the IJ:

Reverse image search results

#3 9 years ago

an IJ for $1400?

I smell scam

#4 9 years ago

Obviously it's a scam. Ask him to write your email address on a piece of paper, place it on the playfield glass, and take a photo. Then see what he says. Lol.

#6 9 years ago

addams family gold for $900...

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Obviously it's a scam

Why do you say that?

I see Addams Family Gold's selling for $900.00 on a regular basis.

#8 9 years ago

I just purchased the Addams Family Gold - game showed up and the flippers were not rebuilt as he said they were. I am sending back this otherwise flawless gem.

#9 9 years ago

Here's a challenge. Find an ad where the picture matches the table listed.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ask him to write your email address on a piece of paper, place it on the playfield glass, and take a photo. Then see what he says. Lol.

I like that! I will have to remember that one so when I smell bs I can pull out that nice bs detector.

#11 9 years ago

To avoid tragic disappointment, never buy a game you have not played in person.

#12 9 years ago

and I've got some colloidal silver to sell you that will:

1) Prevent you from catching (enter affliction here)
2) Give you (whatever enhancement you want)

100% guaranteed or your money back - scientifically engineered using a space-age process developed by NASA - Doctor recommended and backed by more than a decade of clinical research

Treat everything with a healthy dose of skepticism, EVERYTHING!

#13 9 years ago

I did a whois on the domain and found the company that is hosting the website. I emailed their legal department saying the site is fraudulent, hopefully they will take it down.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

I did a whois on the domain and found the company that is hosting the website. I emailed their legal department saying the site is fraudulent, hopefully they will take it down.

Good man!

#15 9 years ago

The ads certainly are fraudulent, though I'm not sure about the site itself.

It looks like anybody can post an ad, though it looks like it needs to be "approved" before it goes live. So it looks like there is someone maintaining the site to some degree.

The site is just a simple wordpress site with a classifieds plugin. It would take maybe an hour to get the bare bones up and running.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#16 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

There has definitely been an increase in scammers, also on the Pinside market. I don't want to go too much into detail but some of the scammers I found on Pinside lately have also been posting to the site mentioned in this thread. My brother and I are currently thinking about some ways to stop this and prevent Pinsiders from being scammed.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The ads certainly are fraudulent, though I'm not sure about the site itself.

Maybe, they all look pretty fake though. Plus if you run a site and allow the front page to be filled with obvious scams, you are at least some part culpable.

Quoted from robin:

There has definitely been an increase in scammers, also on the Pinside market. I don't want to go too much into detail but some of the scammers I found on Pinside lately have also been posting to the site mentioned in this thread. My brother and I are currently thinking about some ways to stop this and prevent Pinsiders from being scammed.

Maybe requiring that every ad have at least 1 picture with the posters username written on paper would be a decent solution. It would take a bit of work to police it, but I'm sure a lot of people would be quick to report ads that don't have the verification.

#18 9 years ago

Sounds like a good idea.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Maybe requiring that every ad have at least 1 picture with the posters username written on paper would be a decent solution. It would take a bit of work to police it, but I'm sure a lot of people would be quick to report ads that don't have the verification.

That's more or less how image verification works on reddit. Not a bad idea.

Course, a decent photoshopper can easily fake something like that. So...*shrugs*

#20 9 years ago

Sadly locks are only made to keep out the honest. Those that want to get around it will.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's more or less how image verification works on reddit. Not a bad idea.
Course, a decent photoshopper can easily fake something like that. So...*shrugs*

Well, it's more verification than what's required now. It's also surprisingly difficult to Photoshop a paper/signature to the point where it's not detectable.

Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

Sadly locks are only made to keep out the honest. Those that want to get around it will.

That is how the saying goes...but this isn't a lock and isn't keeping anyone honest out. It's just a way to verify that you actually own the machine you are selling.

#22 9 years ago

Gah, the webhost sent me a bunch of legal crap back. I wasn't trying to make a DMCA claim

Your DMCA claim doesn’t meet all the required elements stated by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and other applicable laws. We won’t be able to act on this until such requirements have been met, as they are required to have certain elements contained in them by law. These requirements are:

- Identify, in sufficient detail, the copyrighted work that you believe has been infringed upon. For example: “The copyrighted work at issue is the text that appears on http://www.legal.com/legal_page.html”. Or other information sufficient to specify the copyrighted work being infringed. For example: "The copyrighted work at issue is the “Touch Not This Cat” by Dudley Smith, published by Smith Publishing, ISBN #0123456789". You must also cite the original source.

- Identify the material that you claim is infringing the copyrighted work listed in the item above.

- Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit A Small Orange to contact you, which includes your full physical address, telephone number, and email.

- Include the following statement: "I have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted materials described above as allegedly infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law."

- Include the following statement: "I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed."

#23 9 years ago

catchy quote, but no, that's not actually how security works. it's true that no single security measure is flawless, but you add layers until circumventing them becomes more trouble than the bounty is worth. each layer decreases the likelihood of a breach.

these aren't criminal masterminds we're talking about here. make it slightly difficult and they'll go elsewhere.

#24 9 years ago

Another reply:
"We wouldn't be able to determine what is and is not fraud as we're not the legal system. If you feel the items are illegal, I suggest that you contact your local law enforcement agency and report this. They could at that time take the needed course of action once they've determined the legality of the situation."

Head in the sand

#25 9 years ago

If anyone else wants to send a complaint, [email protected]

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

100% sleazy response.

They probably have an auto-responder set up for spam that says "We don't care about spammers" too.

#28 9 years ago

So I was looking for other places to buy some pins when I found a site called http://www.buynsellpinballmachines.com/ The prices where almost too good to be true so I sent out some emails the seller and one guy responded. He went the whole 9 yards with pictures and everything. As soon as I ask for an address to go see the machine, no response. Has any had a good experience with this site?

Legit

#29 9 years ago

I say scam. They had a congo on chicago craigslist, asked them the price. They said $1700. I asked them why I was seeing their email address show up on a website in beverly hills, CA, they said because they ship all over america.

#30 9 years ago

Had a couple show up yesterday looking to buy a machine and they were asking me about this site. Glad they asked first instead of sending their money away to these scammers..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
$ 44.95
Hardware
RavSpec
Hardware
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 63.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 9.95
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
14,000 (OBO)
25,000 (Firm)
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-buynsellpinballmachinescom-legit-or-a-scammer-heaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.