(Topic ID: 300926)

Is Brian Eddy as awesome as we use to think he was?

By Doctor6

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PtownPin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ap yes please (resized).jpg
    10CF137A-3530-4609-8E77-2BF5707321A1 (resized).jpeg
    There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

Brian Eddy.

He made Medieval Madness. AFM. The Shadow.

What a lineup. I'd argue his best game (design wise) is actually the Shadow, but I digress. The man made nothing but awesome pins and left back to video games from whence he came.

Did he sorta ruin his legacy by coming back? This is all opinion, obviously, but I think stranger things and mando sorta suck. Maybe it is unfair, because it isn't his fault that the art and callouts in stranger things are just one step above hot garbage and afm has some of the greatest callouts in history... also not his fault (I don't think) that a space ship is cooler than an angry mutant vagina that is hard to get a ball into.

That's all. I just sorta feel his legacy is diminished, for me, now.

#2 2 years ago

Mando sucks now because of code. Jury is still out.

You are definitely wrong about stranger things. It brought back the bally Williams magic for me.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

also not his fault (I don't think) that a space ship is cooler than an angry mutant vagina that is hard to get a ball into.

#4 2 years ago

Well, I do kinda like the AFM vibe in Stranger Things so I personally wouldn’t use the word “ruined” for that experience.

Having said that, it’s fun to play those two games a few times here and there but, I would not consider owning either one today. I would however buy a Shadow. In much the same way BSD is the total package, Shadow for me has a perfect layout with no pops…very difficult to pull off IMHO.

I would also suggest to not form strong convictions about the staying power of a game until it’s been out for a year or two. Comparing games of yesteryear to Sterns in the last two years doesn’t make much sense to me.

#5 2 years ago

Stranger things is my favorite game I don't own! To your point its missing the fun elements of the show and 80s in general and that's why it's not in my basement and EHOH is. But yeah Mando sux

#6 2 years ago

How many games have you logged into Stranger things?
    Have you played pro or premium?
    Noooooooo way anyone can call this game trash.
    Mando hasn’t reached 1.0 code so I don’t judge it.
    But I owned 2 stranger things LE.
    Sold my first and couldn’t live without it so I bought again.

Quoted from Doctor6:

Brian Eddy.
    What a lineup. I'd argue his best game (design wise) is actually the Shadow, but I digress. The man made nothing but awesome pins and left back to video games from whence he came.
    Did he sorta ruin his legacy by coming back? This is all opinion, obviously, but I think stranger things and mando sorta suck. Maybe it is unfair, because it isn't his fault that the art and callouts in stranger things are just one step above hot garbage and afm has some of the greatest callouts in history... also not his fault (I don't think) that a space ship is cooler than an angry mutant vagina that is hard to get a ball into.

#7 2 years ago

I've never seen the show Stranger Things but the game is fantastic. Upside Down mode with the UV kit is one of the best modes in pinball. It's like AFM on steroids.

#8 2 years ago

I'll agree with most Mando is the turd of the bunch, regardless of code it didn't last long in my basement. I have two other Eddy games medieval madness love it and it's not going anywhere and my Stranger Things is amazing!

#9 2 years ago

Stranger Things is an amazing game. The fact that you mentioned that you can't get the ball in the demogorgan means the game was not set up properly. Also comparing it to a vagina would make me reevaluate the women I have been with. It really is a reimagined AFM. I actually prefer it as I am so burnt out on AFM and MM. Mando was fun when I played it...felt a bit too easy. I am sure code will help it just like it did with STh. I honestly don't think his reputation has been jeopardized although I would like to see something really different from him in the next game.

#10 2 years ago

To me Stranger things is like a WAY better version of AFM. Ill get hate for saying it but its the way I feel. That game is awesome. I have a mando premium coming any day now and I think we need to wait until code is finished.

But expectations were way out of wack for him coming back.

#11 2 years ago

Stranger things is good. I think calling it amazing is a stretch.

The first demodog mode is one of the worst modes I’ve ever played. You can’t skip it, you can’t progress with it, you need to let it time out (and it’s LONG). Why they didn’t turn this into a version of Martian multi ball boggles my mind.

It has two, flat out bad shots with the right orbit and the extra ball shot.

The UV kit is awesome, but the upside down world being random repetitive modes that you are almost incentivized to let time out is not good. They should have integrated the UV/upside down world more into modes and game progression.

The modes themselves are kind of very same same with not a lot of shot variety or creativeness.

The mystery award is broken and gives you add time 80% of the time

Call outs are bad and it lacks humor

The Cleland code is an absolute must have and with insider connect coming I am not sure how that will work…

The above are the things that I don’t like about the game. There is plenty of good and I do recommend it, but it isn’t “amazing” or even close to a masterpiece

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Stranger Things is an amazing game. The fact that you mentioned that you can't get the ball in the demogorgan means the game was not set up properly. Also comparing it to a vagina would make me reevaluate the women I have been with. It really is a reimagined AFM. I actually prefer it as I am so burnt out on AFM and MM. Mando was fun when I played it...felt a bit too easy. I am sure code will help it just like it did with STh. I honestly don't think his reputation has been jeopardized although I would like to see something really different from him in the next game.

I can nail mine on left cradle almost every time. Right flipper is harder as it's directly under the Demogorgon and there is less flipper stroke to that shot but occasionally can. However I did take the black plastic spacers out of him to lower him 3/16" worked wonders. The code on this game is just great now

#13 2 years ago

Find out more about Brian's current state-of-mind by attending Pintastic New England this November!
    https://pintasticnewengland.com/
    We'll have him in for a fireside chat.
    .................David Marston

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Brian Eddy.

Here’s my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth.

To me, Stranger Things is the best pinball machine ever made. It has all of that easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master magic of AFM and MM, but with way more modes and depth.

I recently went to play an AFM remake, and an OG Medieval Madness, and they simply don’t come close to Stranger Things for me. Amazing for their time, no doubt, but super shallow and too easy for home ownership by comparison. Not nearly as many “pinball moments” either.

But if I’m gonna claim this is the best machine ever, I had better have some good reasons. Let’s talk about Stranger Things’ list of unique features.

1. Demogorgan bash toy w mouth shot. Both gives you a big target to shoot, but also a skill shot in the mouth. Best bash toy in pinball IMHO. We like ramps because they are satisfying to shoot. Same with spinners and pops. This toy is an air ball shot into a tiny hole - risk, precision, patience, skill. it’s essentially everything great about a pinball target.

2. Projector. How hasn’t this been copied already? The effect is fantastic, and makes every single mode feel unique and engaging. You simply can’t do that on other pinball tables because the table art is static. It’s such a great feature. Easily one of the top 3 “gimmicks” in pinball history.

3. Drop target central. Those 4 drop target are such a brilliant, simple, central design to the game. The feeling of skill, knocking 1 target down and shooting through that hole you just punched, through to the back to spell the rest of the word? Bliss. It’s the best drop target bank in pinball. I’ll die on that hill. Add in the projector feature that projects each letter you need to spell directly on the targets? Forget about it. No other drop target modes on any machine comes close.

4. Telekinesis ball lock. Locking 3 balls magnetically to the back wall of a pinball machine is such an outstanding feeling. Again, I’ve yet to play or hear about another ball lock system that is this damn cool or satisfying. Admittedly, I had problems with the locking mechanism, but Stern sent me a free ramp cover which has fixed the problem completely.

5. UV kit. It’s the most dramatic pinball moment in pinball. Maybe not if you’re playing outside, or in a bright room, but in a low light setting, or in the dark? It’s impossible to watch a video or see a picture and get an idea of how cool it is. My only complaint is how short the mode is! I’ve been playing this game for months at home now, and it does not get old! Like the projector, this feature transforms the entire table in an instant. Play it in the dark, and it almost feels like you’re playing a completely different machine for the brief moment it’s on. It’s blows away anyone I’ve had over - both pinball noobs and veterans who think they’ve seen it all. MM castle blowing up is like “oh cool!” Stranger Thing UV light show is like “holy $#!%!!”

6. Perfect fan layout. It is the most symmetrical, simple layout of any modern machine. No fancy 180 ramps or upper flippers, just a solid, simple, classic pinball layout, but the central focus on spelling words to drop down the central bash toy is that perfect example of “easy to understand, difficult to master”. For all of its awesome gimmicks and toys, Stranger Things still boils down to the best iteration of the fan layout. If Mario Bros. is the simple joy of video games, Stranger Things is the simple joy of pinball. I own a premium Jurassic Park, and I love that table, but if I had to pick only one, I wouldn’t even have to think about it. I simply have more fun playing Stranger Things.

Got a premium a few months ago with all the bells and whistles - topper, uv kit, art blades, projector, shooter rod, headphone jack, shaker, and I’ve also done some custom uv art on the art blades and other surfaces. Added a mirror above the pops as well, since they’re hidden.

This game is my grail pin. I honestly think it’s the most underrated table out there, but I think most ppl have played the pro without the uv kit. A pro vs premium w uv kit isn’t even the same machine to me, because what makes this table magic, isn’t just the gimmicks, and it isn’t just the classic layout - it’s the combination of some of the very best gimmicks in all of pinball + the simple elegance of a solid fan layout. It’s both modern and classic at the same time.

#15 2 years ago

What’s wrong with Mando? Curious to read some criticisms.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

What’s wrong with Mando? Curious to read some criticisms.

I’ve only played it once (LE)

Fan layout with all shots in the center of the game, feels like the back is a total waste of space

Repetitive boring center ramp shot is used too much

The left side with motionless grogu doll and Child lanes is just sad

The upper playfield is fine but compared to the battlefield in the shadow… come on

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:I’ve only played it once (LE)
    Fan layout with all shots in the center of the game, feels like the back is a total waste of space
    Repetitive boring center ramp shot is used too much
    The left side with motionless grogu doll and Child lanes is just sad
    The upper playfield is fine but compared to the battlefield in the shadow… come on

It’s amazing how some people think they know a table after playing it once...

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I’ve only played it once

100% qualified to give in depth analysis ..

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

100% qualified to give in depth analysis ..

That’s why I gave the disclaimer genius, taken my opinion with a grain of salt. If you disagree with my impressions I’d gladly hear why.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

It’s amazing how some people think they know a table after playing it once...

Coming from the guy that falls stranger things the best game ever made- LOL

#21 2 years ago

Stranger Things is certainly Stern's best of the Spike2 era. Everyone who approaches it loves it. The projector aspects of it are awesome - truly some creative thinking. While I don't like Mando based on the theme, I actually found it to be a good shooter and actually pretty fun. I'd give Eddy a solid 1.75/2 thus far for his Stern efforts. I look forward to his third title.

#22 2 years ago

Games aside, Brian Eddy seems like a pretty cool dude. I've never met or talked to him, but the few podcasts that he's done make him seem pretty alright. Carry on.

#23 2 years ago

Stranger Things, while fun to shoot, was a game where the theme really killed it for me and it had to leave. We never watched the show and the kids are fucking annoying.

Mando is still here, but leaving soon. Still have MMr, so his past hits do not compare to his current releases.

#24 2 years ago

Stranger things is a great game. I had a bunch of non pinball people over last night and that's the game they keep going back to. It's approachable and a blast to shoot. Mine's been set up right since I got it, so never had issues with the tk lock or demo shot, but I can imagine if those arent working right that it could be an issue.
    Mando is a lot of fun too. It could use some tweaks to the code, but I enjoy it. The assets and call outs are better than the shot physics for me, but that's just personal preference.
    Because I enjoy STh so much is why I dont have a MM or an AfM. I feel they're similar enough that I dont want to use a slot in my collection for them.
    I cant wait to see what Eddy does next.

#25 2 years ago

What's wrong with the Mando code? I have only played the game twice...

#26 2 years ago

The only complaint I have about Mando is how many hang ups you get where the ball is in a spot the machine cannot clear or even decide to clear. Especially on the left ramp, lots up level sections that the ball stops on on the Pre/LE. Some of this might be due to ball magnetization. For this reason, any Mando setup with tight tilt is unfair. Mando, IMO, is a fantastic pin. My 7 year old son plays it constantly and he did not show much interest in pinball before that. I had been wating for an Eddy designed pin to compliment our MMR but for me, STh was not it theme-wise.

#27 2 years ago

They fixed a couple things, like it being too easy to crank out the multiballs with the center shot. I think there's some inconsistency in how the encounter levels work out which makes it to where I don't even want to play them. The upper post doesnt always sync correctly depending on what shot is being taken either. For instance on some orbit shots where the child is lit, the ball gets kicked back and that post doesnt drop. It just doesnt feel completely polished yet.

Quoted from pascal-pinball:

What's wrong with the Mando code? I have only played the game twice...

#28 2 years ago

Stranger things is saved by code, not the layout. I still wouldn't want to own one. Mando sucks so far but I need to play it more. MM and AFM are good but overrated imo, much like Brian Eddy.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Stranger things is saved by code, not the layout. I still wouldn't want to own one. Mando sucks so far but I need to play it more. MM and AFM are good but overrated imo, much like Brian Eddy.

This. Stranger Things code > Layout
    Mando Layout > Code

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

The modes themselves are kind of very same same with not a lot of shot variety or creativeness.

Sounds like you haven’t even played the game. The shot variety is about is as good it can get. The Compass mode is awesome, moving the shot with the spinner. First time I’ve seen that.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Sounds like you haven’t even played the game. The shot variety is about is as it can get. The Compass mode is awesome, moving the shot with the spinner. First time I’ve seen that.

I owned the game, played it hundreds of times.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

Stranger Things is certainly Stern's best of the Spike2 era. Everyone who approaches it loves it. The projector aspects of it are awesome - truly some creative thinking. While I don't like Mando based on the theme, I actually found it to be a good shooter and actually pretty fun. I'd give Eddy a solid 1.75/2 thus far for his Stern efforts. I look forward to his third title.

And no. First EHOH is a better game than STh. I owned STh and moved it on for Guardians. And bought AIQ pro and all the above games I mentioned, are better than STh. I am also getting a JP3 premium amd that game is definitely better than STh. I am not saying STh is a bad game, but to say it’s the best spike 2 game is a huge Stu Hart stretch (old pro wrestling fans will get the reference lol).

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:I owned the game, played it hundreds of times.

Played it “hundreds of times” and still couldn’t tell the modes apart?

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

And no. First EHOH is a better game than STh. I owned STh and moved it on for Guardians. And bought AIQ pro and all the above games I mentioned, are better than STh. I am also getting a JP3 premium amd that game is definitely better than STh. I am not saying STh is a bad game, but to say it’s the best spike 2 game is a huge Stu Hart stretch (old pro wrestling fans will get the reference lol).

I own and love my JP premium. Second favorite game to Stranger Things. Maybe you just need to be more of a *ahem* sharpshooter

Stranger Things IMO is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.... well, we’ll see once Godzilla premium lands

#35 2 years ago

Stranger things seemed pretty underwhelming to me initially, but I played both a premium and pro a good bit recently and found them actually pretty fun - solid game imo. Not sure I'll own one, but the projector and uv stuff was really cool indeed.

Mando I did dislike though - I just wasnt enjoying the modes, and that repeated, easy shot to the center for every standard multi ball was really no fun at all. I liked the idea of the swinging razorcrest target, but in practice didn't really feel like it amounted to much. Maybe some changed/improved code will spruce it up. I was also surprised that the callouts from Carl Weathers were pretty lame. Bad direction and lines or something, which is a shame since having an actor from the show doing custom callouts is I'd consider the best option - vastly preferred over BS impersonators or made up characters. These are just flat.

Come to think of it the callouts in Stranger Things were pretty awful too, from a major show actor/character as well. Not sure what happened with both...

#36 2 years ago

Eddy is a great designer. His tables are unique and fun. BUT code matters...a lot....
    A great design can't save poor code. Great code can't save poor design. When you have both - magical!!!

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

Played it “hundreds of times” and still couldn’t tell the modes apart?

When did I say that? It's sad that you can't take someone's feedback of a game. I said the game was good, just not "amazing". Defend the first demodog mode, please. I'd love to hear it.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Brian Eddy.

Stranger Things is one of the best games I own. It took awhile to get it set up properly, but now I love it.

I don’t have a lot of time on Mando, but I don’t think it’s for me.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Defend the first demodog mode, please. I'd love to hear it.

This one is simple: take a Chapter mode into Demodog 1 and play them together, or start a multiball. If you start DD1 by itself it means you screwed up, and now you have to get past the demodogs before you can make any further progress. It’s a fun mode to me, and a great way to boost a multiball, since now everything you hit scores points.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This one is simple: take a Chapter mode into Demodog 1 and play them together, or start a multiball. If you start DD1 by itself it means you screwed up, and now you have to get past the demodogs before you can make any further progress. It’s a fun mode to me, and a great way to boost a multiball, since now everything you hit scores points.

Exactly, it should be stacked with a mode or multiball. Or you could reduce the timer on the mode in the menu if you are struggling with it.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks for this. I actually couldn't defend the demodog mode because I hate it, but now that you've said that...well...I'm wondering how I could be so stupid. Much appreciated!

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Mando sucks now because of code. Jury is still out.
    You are definitely wrong about stranger things. It brought back the bally Williams magic for me.

My opinion was wrong? I DID like it? I DID think the art and sound was good? Jesus, thank you. I had no idea.

#43 2 years ago

I’ve owned Shadow, played AFM hundreds of times, and I’ve had my STH Pro for about 6 months. Here’s my take on just the layout, leaving code aside.

AFM has the most satisfying ramp and orbit shots. They’re very similar on STH, but a bit tighter, so it takes a little more skill to hit the right ramp and left orbit. Hitting the scoop on AFM is more satisfying than the mystery shot on STH.

STH has a very satisfying inner loop shot, Burn It Back, that can be shot from either flipper. The left orbit, while tougher than on AFM, is incredibly satisfying since you get the spinner sounds and the ball feeds to the right flipper so you can hit it repeatedly. The center section of STH - 4 drop targets, 2 stationary targets and the Demogorgon - absolutely destroys AFM’s stationary targets and saucer.

Let’s talk about Shadow. The ramps with the Phurba diverters are cool, and the lock shot is awesome. But playing Breakout with the flipper buttons is the least amount of fun I’ve had playing pinball. Overall I’d rank Shadow at the bottom of Eddy’s efforts, but the callouts are what made me sell it after 4 months.

#44 2 years ago

What are the issues with Mando code? I played it at launch and I thought it was pretty well done, and I’m usually not into Dwight’s code these days. But it’s clear it has a lot of modes & variety. Wasn’t confusing. Granted I only played like 10 times, but it seemed all there.

#45 2 years ago

Most artists in any medium have a ten year span where they create their best work.

#46 2 years ago

Doctor6 you should add a poll so we can vote there instead of downvoting your opinion.

If you think the demogorgan looks like a vag, I’d suggest finding better porn.

#47 2 years ago

I don’t hate Stranger Things. I’d very like to own a premium or LE because I think the projector is a awesome. Only reason why not owning it is because I’m a bit higher on SW, JP, BM66, DP and GZ. But it’s actually right at the cusp for me as a very good not great pin.

Mando i don’t like nearly as much, maybe it’ll grow on me but the center shot to start MB is just so weak imo and to me the whole RPG element is not necessary and not something I’m excited about.

Overall tho his two Stern games are not bad just aren’t up to the legacy of the three pins mentioned from B/W.

#48 2 years ago

Mando is an incredible game. After a few games on the dull Stranger Things, it’s forgettable. Mando shoulda been the blockbuster instead of Godzilla.

So far we see the same 3 design elements endlessly on the Elwin games, Mando is fresh and new, and has fantastic flow. Also it kills on route, far better than Stranger Things ever did.

This entire thread is nonsense!

#49 2 years ago

His hair is still as awesome as ever!

#50 2 years ago

I'm skipping over many previous comments, but it's possible he was a better suited to design games based on constraints at Williams versus constraints at Stern. Also just because a games doesn't immediately jump into the top-10, doesn't mean it's a bad game. I'm pretty sure if Attack From Mars were released today it might not be rated as highly. I still love mine, but the expectations for a game are just different then they were 25 years ago.

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-brian-eddy-as-awesome-as-we-use-to-think-he-was and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.