vlcsnap-2013-05-29-11h05m30s60 (resized).jpg
IMG_4616 (resized).JPG
caitlyn-jenner (resized).jpg
IMG_4583 (resized).JPG
addtext_com_MTEzNjA5MzUxMTQ0 (resized).png
1hifm7 (resized).jpg
DSCN5233 (resized).JPG
dd9 (resized).JPG
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The theme is awesome but stern effed it up by not making a pro model and jacking up the prices.

What could they have stripped to make a Pro?? There's nothing there to strip. I'll be very interested to see what the second hand "Promium" prices are in 6 months. I'm sure peeps will install Tilt gameblades, mods, and PC armor, and you could get for about NIB pro price...

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The theme is almost timeless from a branding and nostalgia standpoint.

You really should've said "I believe the theme is almost timeless from a branding and nostalgia standpoint."

...see how that doesn't work?

#103 7 years ago

I'm 33 but used to watch batman with my dad all the time. So it does catch me a little too. I'm sure these stories aren't all the same for everyone.

#104 7 years ago

I didn't buy it because of nostalgia. I wanted a new game and when I saw it, it was shiny, new, and cooler than shit. And as I mentioned the music tracks won me over. I had actually gone with the intent of getting Fish Tales, but I thought there was more to this game and will get better with each code release.

The nostalgia part for me is the shots of Gotham and all the cool old cars rolling down the road. One of the reasons I love those old shows is streets filled with Detroit's finest, not a bunch Hondas, Hyundais, and BMWs like we have now.

#105 7 years ago

Batman a bad theme? Uh, okay. I'm not a fan of Batman but c'mon. This is probably as close as you can get to an original theme from Stern. Very unique and quirky cool. Rather see stuff like this than you typical movie theme or middle of the road rock band.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't buy it because of nostalgia. I wanted a new game and when I saw it, it was shiny, new, and cooler than shit. And as I mentioned the music tracks won me over. I had actually gone with the intent of getting Fish Tales, but I thought there was more to this game and will get better with each code release.
The nostalgia part for me is the shots of Gotham and all the cool old cars rolling down the road. One of the reasons I love those old shows is streets filled with Detroit's finest, not a bunch Hondas, Hyundais, and BMWs like we have now.

Just make sure to hang on to it until the code is mature. Lyman does take some time, especially with Stern pulling him in multiple directions all the time.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

You really should've said "I believe the theme is almost timeless from a branding and nostalgia standpoint."
...see how that doesn't work?

meh....no sense debating....I suspect there are performance metrics that would substantiate my statement, but sort of pointless, and rearranging my sock drawer would be more productive, from a time/ return standpoint.

#108 7 years ago

It's got pretty good code out of the gate, but yeah be patient and it will mature. At least I don't think it has music that will grate on me and make me want to get rid of it like the last new game I bought. Pretty much the coolest offering of the last few years, old theme or not. But they made it new and fresh, and that works for me. Oh, yeah and Julie Newmar of course.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I didn't buy it because of nostalgia. I wanted a new game and when I saw it, it was shiny, new, and cooler than shit. .

addtext_com_MTEzNjA5MzUxMTQ0 (resized).pngaddtext_com_MTEzNjA5MzUxMTQ0 (resized).png

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

BM66 is another poor theme.

Actually it's one of the best themes, to me, in awhile.

It's all subjective, but I absolutely love it!

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's got pretty good code out of the gate.

I was suspicious but you are DEFINITELY going senile.

I played the SLE last night and the code is in barely rudimentary, barely functional form. I'd guess it's about 5-10 percent finished at the most. There's virtually no speech, no rules, no modes, no nothin. I'm sure the code will kick ass eventually but currently the game is barely at testing level. Three games was enough for me.

Can't wait for the code update, I'll be back to play it ASAP.

#112 7 years ago

dupe

#113 7 years ago

It's fine for a theme, but I would have much preferred that if they were going to dip back into the Batman franchise to go more with something like Jim Lee's Batman or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. But I don't see an issue with going back to Batman '66. The license is everywhere right now, so you're seeing it more places than just here.

#114 7 years ago

Well F-me! RD with GB and now Odin with BM66.. I can just see the smile on Gary Sterns face now

#115 7 years ago

LOL - just turned 48 today.
To me, best theme Stern has had in years!

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's got pretty good code out of the gate, but yeah be patient and it will mature. At least I don't think it has music that will grate on me and make me want to get rid of it like the last new game I bought. Pretty much the coolest offering of the last few years, old theme or not. But they made it new and fresh, and that works for me. Oh, yeah and Julie Newmar of course.

I like most of the music, but the Joker's mode is painful. That music makes me rush my shots which causes even longer torture in that mode. My favorite is the relaxing music for Catwoman's mode. The phone ringing doesn't bother me, though many others have complained. I like that you don't have to answer the phone if you don't want to restart a particular mode, which is usually Repeat Penguin in my case.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's fine for a theme, but I would have much preferred that if they were going to dip back into the Batman franchise to go more with something like Jim Lee's Batman or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. But I don't see an issue with going back to Batman '66. The license is everywhere right now, so you're seeing it more places than just here.

Does Frank's Batman do the Batusi or have a Bat-Thermos?

If not can't say I'm interested. The original BDK is "dark" enough, this one is a nice contrast.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I played the SLE last night and the code is in barely rudimentary, barely functional form. I'd guess it's about 5-10 percent finished at the most. There's virtually no speech, no rules, no modes, no nothin

I thought the same thing the first few games and knew it needed lots of work. However after that I started getting more speech and during a multiball I guess I had two villain modes stacked and started scoring a shit ton of points and had a very solid game. So there is some code there.

But on another multiball it went into ball search and started spitting out balls like a broken Judge Dredd and ended each ball after that with still a ball in play, but back to normal the next game. So there are bugs but it is playable. Looking forward to the updates.

#119 7 years ago

IMO, BM66 is a killer theme and one of the best in a while. For me, its wasted on a game with a layout I don't like and I price point I refuse to pay. But neither of those things makes the theme a bad choice.

Theme, artwork, animations, sound - all very well done!

#120 7 years ago

I would not have ordered this game sight unseen. However being able to play it let me know what I would be getting. The layout is fine with plenty to shoot for. The ramps are a little flimsy without much holding them in place, especially the left one, but at least they are metal.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from rockfantasyman:

I think the theme is amazing ! I have folks of ages lining up to play it ! I agree with Levi we had the titles of 24 , CSI , big buck hunter , NBA , iron man, avengers , xmen , game of thrones , walking dead , star trek . all I consider current themes based on tv shows or movies ETC , so whats wrong with some 70s or 60s themes . plenty of hate and grumbling on here as usual ! keeler out !

doesn't your bm 66 already have nodes issues?

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Well F-me! RD with GB and now Odin with BM66.. I can just see the smile on Gary Sterns face now

#123 7 years ago

I hope he is smiling. Like I said I wanted to trade in a game and get something different. See ya later Ripleys! He had a lot of good machines but Batman was just too cool not to make a deal on. Plus it was set up and ready to go. Half hour later it was in my house. It doesn't get much easier than that.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Good Stuff-can't wait to visit

Better get on the plane now before he realizes how "un-O-din" it was for him to get one in the first place and ditches it tout suite!

Quoted from taz:

I like most of the music, but the Joker's mode is painful.

I still have it in my head today! It won't f*cking go away!!!

#125 7 years ago

I really thought Odin was F ing with us.

What the heck is going on around here!

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I really thought Odin was F ing with us.

If there is only one universal truth about us pinheads, it's that we are a fickle bunch.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buy a Skateball. It's cheap

Know of a nice one for sale?

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Better get on the plane now before he realizes how "un-O-din" it was for him to get one in the first place and ditches it tout suite!

When I get home from work on this soaking wet So Cal day, I'm going to heat up a bowl of your home made chili, mix up a few o-dins and see if it can survive at least one more day.

Quoted from Russell:

Know of a nice one for sale?

I've got the worlds nicest Skateball, but sorry it's not for sale. It wasn't cheap either but well worth it.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If there is only one universal truth about us pinheads, it's that we are a fickle bunch.

Ain't that the truth. Part of why pinball is so much fun!

Odiner, that screen you see is called an LCD

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Odiner, that screen you see is called an LCD

I've got a bigger one of those that we watch football and Batman on. Technology is not always a bad thing.

#132 7 years ago

All that whining and bitching about old themes, and the first chance he gets he buys the oldest theme Stern has ever done.

Odin is the quintessential Pinside user.

#133 7 years ago

Russia hacked o-dins account

#134 7 years ago

I won't be buying Aerosmith if that makes you all feel any better.

#135 7 years ago

Stern knows what their core buyer demographics are,
they frankly know what they're doing.

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll just link to that post the next time I see you whine about old man themes. If you never complain about them again, then there's no problem - it would show you changed your mind, which is totally cool.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What if you play it and turns out it's totally cool?

What do your "live for today" surfer buddies think of this Batman purchase?!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'll just link to that post the next time I see you whine about old man themes. If you never complain about them again, then there's no problem - it would show you changed your mind, which is totally cool.

Basically I'm a pinball player. Some have mentioned to me a darn good one too. I like a challenging game, but at the same time for big bucks I need a theme I can relate to.

In this day and age if you want something new, you have to choose from what is being offered. Sure I still have my ideas what I would like to see, but after playing Batman it pleased all my senses, so I brought it home.

Complaining about what others may want or like isn't the best tactic to get what you really want, but I thought enough of it might make something happen. But for now I'll just be content to see what comes up, and if I don't like it, nobody is forcing me to buy it.

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

As I have stated in other threads, the window of watching/knowing something does not have to happen at the actual time.
You're for some reason forgetting syndication which is kind of the biggest thing in TV.
I have seen every Batman Episode and was born in 75. Nick @ Nite aired them when I was growing up, along with other shows like The Monkees which are probably the same time period.

... also now showing on MeTV on Saturday nights.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What if you play it and turns out it's totally cool?
What do your "live for today" surfer buddies think of this Batman purchase?!

I'll play it at the local arcade or anybody's house that has one. But I know I won't want to listen to the band every day.

Only buddy that's seen Batman is Nimblepin and he's good with it. It should give my daughter a good chuckle, but I think she will enjoy it.

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I watch MeTV all the time. Batman, Wonder Woman, Star Trek, Kolchak, Lost In Space, TZ, VTTBOTS, Land of the Giants, you name it, they got it. Same shows I watched as a kid. For some reason I don't feel the need to play a game about them or own one.
But I also watch new shows, and there a quite a few good ones.

I'm Holding out for a VTTBOTS LE. Must have a Flying Sub toy on the playfield!

#142 7 years ago

VTTBOTS? Heck ya!

What a difference a day makes eh?

There is a big difference in sizing up a game from pictures and videos than actually playing one. Lesson learned. Just glad I had that opportunity.

#143 7 years ago

I wasn't going to buy a BM66, but as I posted a couple of months ago, I got a chance at one because another soul backed out. I took the spot and have an LE coming Monday. My intention was to offer it up for sale, but this thread has convinced me to keep it and play the hell out of it.........lol

#144 7 years ago

Based on the strong opinions expressed here, I'm going to watch Batman 66 this weekend, and see if it's any good. I'm not sure I've ever actually watched it. I'm willing to investigate, but skeptical.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Based on the strong opinions expressed here, I'm going to watch Batman 66 this weekend, and see if it's any good. I'm not sure I've ever actually watched it. I'm willing to investigate, but skeptical.

Oh thank goodness.

Please keep us posted!

I'm going to do the same with the 70s tv show Buck Rogers, so I can determine if I should buy the Gottlieb game or not.

#146 7 years ago

If you've never even watched it you are in for a treat. It's holding up pretty well even 50 years later.

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Oh thank goodness.
Please keep us posted!
I'm going to do the same with the 70s tv show Buck Rogers, so I can determine if I should buy the Gottlieb game or not.

So glad to know i can always count on my Pinside brethren to come up with a snappy reply. I love this place!!!

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That makes sense, no Lyman.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you've never even watched it you are in for a treat. It's holding up pretty well even 50 years later.

Would you say it's "hanging tough?"

I haven't seen the show in decades probably...was fun playing the game last night just for the game over music and title sequence. I do hope they have all of the Adam West speech in the can already (there was absolutely zero in the code currently). Dude ain't getting any younger! The SLE owner I was with claims that West is actually doing a custom callout for each SLE owner.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I'm going to watch Batman 66 this weekend, and see if it's any good.

Man,
Now I know why you had the unmitigated nerve to start this thread in the first place.

Don't forget your bat-corn Van Doh!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-bm66-a-nostalgic-theme/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.