(Topic ID: 137331)

Is "Big Points" some kind of inside joke?

By DoubleDanger

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Neal_W
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DoubleDanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

The thought just occurred to me - many DMD-era games have a "Big Points" award, often as a random award from a mystery shot. Typically, the value of "Big Points" is laughably small when considered as a portion of a "good" score, for example, in Cirqus Voltaire the Big Points award from the Side Show is either 250,000 or 500,000 points. If the replay score were set to 20,000,000, a 500,000 point Big Points award would only be 2.5% of the way to the replay - hardly "big." So I was just wondering - does anyone know if this is an intentional inside joke by designers? Is there any history behind it?

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

Not as much of a joke as "little points".

250 points on PoTC? What the f*** am I supposed to do with 250 points?

Agreed, those are always funny. I also always love getting 10 points from Odd Change in TZ or Water Hazard in NGG. And yes, both have actually happened to me while playing.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from FunWithBonus:

In LOTR Big Points is 5 Million, but it doesn't explicitly show it to you. Put some 2X Smeagol and 2X scoring on that for 20 Million and sneakily win a game over your opponent.

Good point - in the little bit of research I did on this, LOTR was one of the few examples I could find where Big Points was actually reasonably big.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DoubleDanger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-big-points-some-kind-of-inside-joke?tu=DoubleDanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.