New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 119133)

Is Ben Heck really that famous?

By Jared

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

The-Middle-Cast[1].png
    Ben Heck Bobblehead.jpg
    ben_heck_almost_Famous.jpg
    Heck.jpg
    IMG_20150221_235101673.jpg
    image.jpg
    poker.jpg

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I post this knowing that Ben Heck will see it.

So the other day I am talking to my brother in law, who is a huge nerd beyond description. He has a library of D&D books, he has all the collectors edition lego sets built on display, he hand makes wooden pens on a lathe and attend renaissance fairs in full garb... I love him.

So we are talking about something and he was like "Yeah, sometimes I just grab a Dr Pepper and kick back and watch Ben Heck on youtube". I was like... uh... pinball Ben Heck? He was like YEAH!

So I ask him about him, and my brother in law gets so excited describing to me who this massive youtube star, Ben Heck is, and how he makes the best videos and he is soooo subscribed and just loves all the talk and jokes and everything.

I was like... uh... you know you could just join Pinside and talk to him there right? I think he is on there like every day. Oh, and he is going to be at TPF in Frisco at the end of March, thats only 30 minutes from here you should go you could meet him and get an autograph.

I CAN GET BEN HECKS AUTOGRAPH!?!?! COULD YOU MAKE THAT HAPPEN FOR ME JARED!?!?!

lol... so yeah... my older brother in law is freaking out and star-struck over Ben Heck.

This stunned me, because, well... I just thought Ben Heck was a pinball nerd and DIY kinda guy who made an awesome boutique pinball machine and hung out on the forums. Prospective man.

#2 5 years ago

If he's a D&D fan he'd probably be impressed with my poker buddies .

poker.jpg
    #3 5 years ago

Ben has been well known in the maker and electronics community for a long time. I have the deepest respect for him seeing how it seems he's mostly self-taught (he started out as an graphics illustrator). The fact he can design mechanics, circuitry and code to create nearly anything just boggles my mind.

Still my favorite episode

#4 5 years ago

Ben Heck is extremely well known !

LTG : )™

#5 5 years ago

He's kind of a big deal. People know him.

#6 5 years ago

Based on my brother in law's reaction, I should have asked Ben Heck for his autograph when I saw him at Expo.

#7 5 years ago

Yup, heard about him before I got back into pinball since I've tried to keep tabs on the neat stuff going on in the maker community.

#8 5 years ago

Ben Heck is more dedicated to his work and badass projects than he is sitting on social media drawing attention to himself, which is a very strong attribute in my opinion.

#9 5 years ago

Just asked my 16 year old son if he had heard of him, and he was "oh yeah, watch his vids all the time. He was why I wanted to get a raspberry pi."

Kinda funny I can thank him for getting my boy more into electronics.

#10 5 years ago

I first ran across Ben's work a few years ago in an article on Kotaku, long before I learned that he was into pinball. Kotaku has written about his mods for several years...

http://kotaku.com/tag/ben-heck

#11 5 years ago

So well known I never heard of him until some JPop vapor machine had his name as part of the title. For awhile anyway.

I still don't have a clue who he is.

#12 5 years ago

My brother who I'm just getting into pinball referenced him to me a while back about props. So he's known in several communities

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

So well known I never heard of him until some JPop vapor machine had his name as part of the title. For awhile anyway.
    I still don't have a clue who he is.

Check out his show on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/thebenheckshow

#14 5 years ago

I've known about Ben Heck for his gaming work long before I was into pinball. Once I got into pinball I was surprised to find out that Ben Heck is here too.

#15 5 years ago

Yeah, it's been years ago, but the first time I heard of him was a portable Atari 2600 he made. Not surprising that he was able to make a pinball machine, and judging by all the feedback, a good one.

#16 5 years ago

I had drinks with Ben the other night. It was a little annoying to be constantly interrupted by groupies asking for his autograph and trying to give him their room keys. Back off ladies, we're trying to talk pinball here!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I had drinks with Ben the other night. It was a little annoying to be constantly interrupted by groupies asking for his autograph and trying to give him their room keys. Back off ladies, we're trying to talk pinball here!

Next time you meet up with him, make sure to ask him to turn his swag off and to hold off on the axe body spray. Otherwise he'll be a bitch magnet.

#18 5 years ago

Ben heck is the next face to be added to mt.Rushmore.
    Ben heck for president in 2016.
    Really, I'd vote for him.

#19 5 years ago

What about Ted? Is he famous?

#20 5 years ago

Ben who?

#21 5 years ago

Ben is waaay more famous then this guy.... and he's got better hair too.

image.jpg

#22 5 years ago

Lloyd's more famous than Ben. Dude's got a cheese pump, for Christ's sake.

#23 5 years ago

Ben Heck pulled me out of a burning bus and then bought me a Coke.

#24 5 years ago

Ben is definitely "internet famous".

The internet has allowed people to become very well known within a niche, and Ben has that locked down in the Maker/electronic youtube and podcast space. I doubt he gets recognized in public often, but I might be wrong!

#25 5 years ago

Thanks, I watched the intro. Never heard of him until the JPop fiasco.

#26 5 years ago

I know Ben from his portable gaming projects like his portable Atari 2600, least I think thats the same dude.

#27 5 years ago

Looks like he makes $45k a year doing youtube videos.

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thebenheckshow

#28 5 years ago

I knew about Ben way before I started collecting pinball machines. I always loved Bens shows on you tube.

#29 5 years ago

Depends on your definition of famous I guess.

#30 5 years ago

Learnt about Ben from Attack of the show on G4.

#31 5 years ago

Ben is definitely internet famous, for good reason. A smart, articulate guy that likes to have fun. My kind of dude.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Curtis_Playfield:

Ben Heck is more dedicated to his work and badass projects than he is sitting on social media drawing attention to himself, which is a very strong attribute in my opinion.

Ben has a decent-sized social media footprint... ~370,000 YouTube subscribers... and he is more well-known outside of the pinball hobby. Most of his videos are self-promotional (i.e., he stars in them), but in a good way. IMO, he is the epitome of substance over form, unlike a lot of other recognizable people on YouTube, who are often all form and no substance.

#33 5 years ago

Didn't he create AMH?

#34 5 years ago

First heard of Ben by stumbling on his homemade can cooler project...very cool dude it seems

However...nobody has better hair than Billy Mitchell, it's more thick and lustrous than Unicorn mane.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Oh, and he is going to be at TPF in Frisco at the end of March, thats only 30 minutes from here you should go you could meet him and get an autograph.

Wait. Really?
    Ben - make sure you look me up and play a game of Star Trek: Mirror Universe with me.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I knew about Ben way before I started collecting pinball machines. I always loved Bens shows on you tube.

Same for me (was researching early Raspberry Pi stuff).

#37 5 years ago

I knew of Ben before I knew he was into pinball. As an EE... he and JerriE are youtube heros of mine.

#38 5 years ago

He built my Atari 800XE laptop.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Prospective man.

I am not 100% sure but I think he already is one?

#40 5 years ago

I heard Ben Heck CAN actually divide by zero.
    And he can hear sign language music.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Looks like he makes $45k a year doing youtube videos.
    http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thebenheckshow

Damn, that's kind of stalkerish.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

He built my Atari 800XE laptop.

Ah... the Atari 8bit... I miss mine sometimes.

#43 5 years ago

Yes. Like all famous people, I am coding a pinball machine on a late Saturday night.

IMG_20150221_235101673.jpg
    #44 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Yes. Like all famous people, I am coding a pinball machine on a late Saturday night.

I don't think Bill Paxton is currently coding a pinball machine , But if he were it better be the Ben Heck pinball machine . and on a side note is it that late already ? Time for a beer .

#45 5 years ago

Ben-
    I only met you once briefly at the Mad Rollin Pinball Tournament last year and you were the consummate gentleman. Now it seems like you're also the sleepless creative.
    Well played sir.

#46 5 years ago

Charlie here, posting on Ben's computer... Stop telling him he's famous. We can't fit in this room with 4 people, 2 AMH's, and his ego.

Thanks for your cooperation.

#47 5 years ago

I stood next to you while checking out your Bill Paxtan pin, and I wouldn't change it for Ben Affleck.

Ben Heck is a new generations Mr. Wizzard.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Ah... the Atari 8bit... I miss mine sometimes.

I've got about a hundred Atari 8bit as I feverishly collect them. I could get you a setup and bring to TPF!

#49 5 years ago

This thread turned out awesome. Haha!

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

I've got about a hundred Atari 8bit as I feverishly collect them. I could get you a setup and bring to TPF!

I still have a 400, 600XL and 2 800 XL's. I need to have a large Atari sale.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 9.95
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 234.99
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Cobra Amusements
    There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside